Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #107

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More at link
'Unprecedented': This Mass. hospital system has seen 40% of nursing staff leave since 2019

The Massachusetts Nurses Association said on Thursday that the Northeast Hospital Corporation is experiencing an “unprecedented” loss of 40% of the system’s nursing staff since July 2019. Within the last five months alone, the MNA said more than 100 nurses have left.

The exodus, the MNA said is a result of excessive patient loads, the use of forced overtime and the dangers and challenges presented by COVID-19.

Northeast Hospital Corporation is owned by the Beth Israel Lahey Health System, and is comprised of Beverly Hospital, Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester, and Lahey Outpatient Center in Danvers.

Nurses working in the system compared the hospitals to the Titanic, which the last two years representing an iceberg.

“We have hit the iceberg, the pandemic, and now we are sinking,” said Larn Beard, RN, a registered nurse at Beverly Hospital and co-chair of the nurses local bargaining unit with the MNA. “Rather than dealing with our ongoing staffing crisis and doing what they need to do in order to retain and recruit experienced nurses, this administration seems to accept that we will continue to bleed staff.”

According to the MNA, 322 nurses have left NHC since 2019. Not every one of them were replaced. On July 1, 2019, the union said it had 805 members at Northeast Hospital Corporation. On Jan. 22, it had 695, a loss of 110.

Since August 1, 2021, 102 nurses have left the system, the union said.

Covid-19 omicron variant might be weaker, but 'letting it rip' is not a smart idea (nbcnews.com)

It's flawed to think those who aren’t high risk can just catch the virus and get it over with. Covid doesn't work that way.

Have you reached your breaking point with the pandemic? Are you ready to throw up your hands, let down your guard and accept that you’ll probably get Covid-19? Many Americans are openly wondering if this is the way to go. The U.K., Netherlands, France and several other E.U. countries are rolling back most of their Covid restrictions, and Australia, until now a global model for Covid mitigation, has flipped its approach from a “zero Covid” strategy to just “let it rip.” Many pundits, politicians and others are publicly saying that they are “over” Covid. You know who else is over Covid? The nearly 16,000 people who died from the virus between Jan. 19 and Jan. 25.

Americans are understandably frustrated. When the vaccines became available, we were told we could reach “herd immunity” if 60 or 70 percent of Americans got vaccinated, meaning that most of the population would become immune, leaving fewer people to infect. Then that number started to climb. Soon, the discussion of herd immunity quieted...

This doesn’t mean it’s time to quit and just let nature take its course. Sacrificing vulnerable Americans because we are frustrated and inconvenienced endangers the very people we should be protecting. And deciding that the best course for those who aren’t at high risk is to just catch the virus and get it over with is equally flawed...

Covid-19 omicron variant might be weaker, but 'letting it rip' is not a smart idea (nbcnews.com)

It's flawed to think those who aren’t high risk can just catch the virus and get it over with. Covid doesn't work that way.

Have you reached your breaking point with the pandemic? Are you ready to throw up your hands, let down your guard and accept that you’ll probably get Covid-19? Many Americans are openly wondering if this is the way to go. The U.K., Netherlands, France and several other E.U. countries are rolling back most of their Covid restrictions, and Australia, until now a global model for Covid mitigation, has flipped its approach from a “zero Covid” strategy to just “let it rip.” Many pundits, politicians and others are publicly saying that they are “over” Covid. You know who else is over Covid? The nearly 16,000 people who died from the virus between Jan. 19 and Jan. 25.

Americans are understandably frustrated. When the vaccines became available, we were told we could reach “herd immunity” if 60 or 70 percent of Americans got vaccinated, meaning that most of the population would become immune, leaving fewer people to infect. Then that number started to climb. Soon, the discussion of herd immunity quieted...

This doesn’t mean it’s time to quit and just let nature take its course. Sacrificing vulnerable Americans because we are frustrated and inconvenienced endangers the very people we should be protecting. And deciding that the best course for those who aren’t at high risk is to just catch the virus and get it over with is equally flawed...

Im lucky to have recovered from covid without any lingering symptoms ( hope they won’t just pop up one day!) . A friend of mine called yesterday, he started to break down saying that he can’t handle post covid symptoms. He is a healthy 32 year old man who used to run, swim and bike regularly. Now he can’t go up the stairs to his apartment on the 6th floor without chest pains and breathing issues. He was referred to long haul covid clinic to try and understand why it is happening to him. Mind you his covid case was mild. There are millions of people suffering from long covid with various symptoms. My boyfriend seems to have brain fog as a result. He forgets things more then he used to. To the point is disturbing his daily life. Covid is not only about life or death but also about lingering symptoms which might or might not go away. Nobody should just want to get it to get over with it. It is not just cold.

Hopefully not for too long. From the article:

There are at least a dozen other nasal vaccines in development worldwide, some of them now in Phase 3 trials. But Bharat Biotech’s may be the first to become available. In January, the company won approval to begin a Phase 3 trial of the nasal spray in India as a booster for people who have already received two shots of a Covid vaccine.
Im lucky to have recovered from covid without any lingering symptoms ( hope they won’t just pop up one day!) . A friend of mine called yesterday, he started to break down saying that he can’t handle post covid symptoms. He is a healthy 32 year old man who used to run, swim and bike regularly. Now he can’t go up the stairs to his apartment on the 6th floor without chest pains and breathing issues. He was referred to long haul covid clinic to try and understand why it is happening to him. Mind you his covid case was mild. There are millions of people suffering from long covid with various symptoms. My boyfriend seems to have brain fog as a result. He forgets things more then he used to. To the point is disturbing his daily life. Covid is not only about life or death but also about lingering symptoms which might or might not go away. Nobody should just want to get it to get over with it. It is not just cold.

There are too many people that seem to think that if you get a mild case of Covid, that't it, over and done, and as you point out, that is certainly not the case. Who knows why some people get long Covid and others don't: we just don't know enough about this virus to understand this aspect of the virus.

I am trying to figure out, why here in Florida (Lee County to be specific) the cases are not coming down. Back home in Oakland County Michigan, they are beginning to see a decline in cases, but not here in Florida. I can't figure it out. I know lots and lots of people here in Florida refuse to acknowledge there is even a pandemic (though I am seeing more mask wearing folks, like today at Costco), but I am not sure people in Michigan are any more careful or cautious. Just kind of puzzled. Any ideas?

Child struggled to walk after wrongly receiving COVID shot at CVS, KY lawsuit says

Two parents have sued CVS, claiming their young children received COVID-19 vaccines instead of flu shots in October at a Kentucky location.

The parents say their two children received adult doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine Oct. 5 in Louisville, according to the lawsuit filed Feb. 1 in U.S. District Court. It wasn’t until late October when the shot was approved for children ages 5 through 11, but those children are supposed to receive a weaker dosage.

The morning after the shots were given and before CVS notified the family, one of the children complained of pain in his leg, according to the lawsuit.

“By the time he got to school, it was hurt so badly that it was compromising his ability to walk,” the parents saidin the lawsuit.

Both children had negative side effects after receiving the vaccine, and their parents fear their boys suffered mental damage as well.

“They also now live with continuous concern, worry and fear regarding what long-term effects that may suffer after receiving vaccines that were not approved for children their age,” the lawsuit states.

The parents sued CVS for $75,000, citing malpractice, negligence, emotional distress and battery.

Low doses of COVID vaccines given to 3,900 patients, California hospital says

Wrong COVID vaccine given to 25 children ages 5-11 at Virginia pharmacy, officials say

Kids got wrong doses of COVID vaccine, California hospital says. Parents are furious

I am trying to figure out, why here in Florida (Lee County to be specific) the cases are not coming down. Back home in Oakland County Michigan, they are beginning to see a decline in cases, but not here in Florida. I can't figure it out. I know lots and lots of people here in Florida refuse to acknowledge there is even a pandemic (though I am seeing more mask wearing folks, like today at Costco), but I am not sure people in Michigan are any more careful or cautious. Just kind of puzzled. Any ideas?
Could it be more densely populated in FL? That's the only thing I can think of. I figured it would thrive more in the colder MI climate overall. I'm in PA and I was thinking the northeast was seeing an Omicron surge/peak first, then it may migrate more to other areas

Could it be more densely populated in FL? That's the only thing I can think of. I figured it would thrive more in the colder MI climate overall. I'm in PA and I was thinking the northeast was seeing an Omicron surge/peak first, then it may migrate more to other areas
Just wait until Spring Break in Florida.

There are too many people that seem to think that if you get a mild case of Covid, that't it, over and done, and as you point out, that is certainly not the case. Who knows why some people get long Covid and others don't: we just don't know enough about this virus to understand this aspect of the virus.

I have already seen the rumblings of accusations of malingering here. One person can't compare their personal Covid experience to another. So, he or she got a light case. That doesn't negate the experience of another person who has "Long Covid".

I feel badly for people who have "Long Covid". They may have an uphill battle, not unlike people who had Chronic fatigue syndrome.

Cocktails and hazmat suits mingle in the Beijing Olympics bubble

A bartender in the Chinese ski resort of Zhangjiakou wears a blue and white hazmat suit as he pours a cocktail, before passing the drink to a similarly attired waiter who shuffles across the room in blue plastic booties to deliver the drink.

ZJN55WXHJNMQJIZMFSOQPCCRQM.jpg

Alzheimer's-like changes found in COVID patients' brains

In all the studies, patients had experienced the most severe forms of COVID-19. If similar changes are occurring in the brains of patients with milder illness, that might help explain the "brain fog" associated with long COVID, Marks said. Patients with severe COVID-19 might be at higher risk for dementia later in life, but it is too soon to know, he added.

I think it would be useful if we could get warnings when flu cases are high in our area so that we could time those decisions. I believe flu starts spreading before symptoms come on, so it's not even good enough to notice that someone in the office or on the bus or train is sniffly and coughing.

I also hope there would be some preventive advantage in our new habits of using hand sanitizer in situations like holding onto handles on public transport and then sanitizing hands after getting off the bus.

I wonder if the sanitizing stations will stay in supermarkets to clean trolley/cart handles? I don't know how I feel about touching them without sanitizing now! It feels akin to not washing one's hands after using the loo!

All the grocery stores here in Cali have had those stations for years, I can't imagine living without them!

Problem with trying to time shots is that it takes a couple of weeks (or more) to get to maximum immunity after the shot. I tried to time my booster 6 weeks before we were scheduled to go back to real world teaching. As it turned out, we went back online due to Omicron (and now we're going back on Feb 14).

Meantime, entire family got Omicron. Two of us (myself and eldest daughter) remained completely asymptomatic despite living with/being sneezed. upon by COVID positive children and spouses. I figure I had it, but was completely asymptomatic. I now think the variable was a severe flu-like virus I had about 3 years ago, which I acquired on an international flight. I figure it may have been in the Corona family. If I forced myself, I could say I had a sore throat for one day, but I get sore throats from allergies all the time, so it was nothing special.

At any rate, I'm much less worried about going back to school (had the flu shot in October).

Same. Still waiting. Tried to order again got the error.

I'm still waiting, and I ordered right away. I did get an email verification, but no shipping notice...yet.

I thought maybe it didn't "take" so I tried again yesterday, but it gave me an error message saying my address had already been entered.

At this point, I wonder if I will get them at all.

This has happened so many times in the past: "I have to save my time off for vacation", "I have a meeting", "I get bored at home", "If I took off every time my kids brought something home from day care I'd never get any work done" . It will be nice indeed if coming in sick is more stigmatized than it has been in the past.

how does someone get BORED taking one or two days off when sick? I never understood that. There are so many things to do. Read books, watch movies. Create art etc...

I wonder how many vaccine-hesitant people would prefer to take another form of Covid vaccine. Are some just afraid of needles? I used to be as a child. The three Covid shots were the least painful I've ever experienced.

I suspect some anti-vaxxers may have a fear of needles, so if a patch or pill were available they would take it.

I have already seen the rumblings of accusations of malingering here. One person can't compare their personal Covid experience to another. So, he or she got a light case. That doesn't negate the experience of another person who has "Long Covid".

I feel badly for people who have "Long Covid". They may have an uphill battle, not unlike people who had Chronic fatigue syndrome.

these are the same people who get very mild symptoms from Covid,
Feel better in a couple days, and extrapo!ate their experience to everybody
Else and say hey Covid is no big deal because they had a pretty easy
Time of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics