Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I am reading the actual information on my free government test.
"This test is more likely to give you a "false negative" result when you have Covid-19 than a lab based molecular test.".

So, basically this means it is worthless. o_O

Thanks.
We’ve been using rapid tests regularly at work for well over a year now. They aren’t as accurate as PCR tests, but that hardly makes them “worthless” as you suggest. I have no doubt our rapid tests have missed some positives along the way, but what was the alternative? Not to test at all (missing 100% of positives) or doing PCR tests (getting results 2-7+ days later). It’s well-known that the rapid tests aren’t as accurate as PCR tests, but they’re cheap, don’t require a lab to administer, and can be mass distributed. They’re definitely useful IMO.

What I don't understand is how--with Omicron circulating--everyone seems to have forgotten about it. I went to the grocery yesterday, and the store still had it's "Mask Mandatory" sign, but I was in a very small minority of shoppers who was wearing one. Why?

Are they just tired of wearing the masks? Even a good number of the store workers either didn't have one or were wearing theirs around their chins. And the store was crowded.

Is this happening elsewhere?

I work in healthcare. Currently, I only have one staff person who is not vaccinated due to a medical contraindication. Of all of us, 75% have had Covid in the last 6 weeks. Once past the 10 days after testing positive, none of us are wearing masks in public. We wear them at work in areas where it’s required. That’s about it. What’s the point, otherwise? We’ve already had omicron. At least for a small window of time, it’s very unlikely we will get it again and the next variant hasn’t taken hold just yet. We’re enjoying a bit of a reprieve, if you will. YMMV.

I work in healthcare. Currently, I only have one staff person who is not vaccinated due to a medical contraindication. Of all of us, 75% have had Covid in the last 6 weeks. Once past the 10 days after testing positive, none of us are wearing masks in public. We wear them at work in areas where it’s required. That’s about it. What’s the point, otherwise? We’ve already had omicron. At least for a small window of time, it’s very unlikely we will get it again and the next variant hasn’t taken hold just yet. We’re enjoying a bit of a reprieve, if you will. YMMV.

How many are "all of you"? Interesting you've basically had 75% breakthrough.

The point is, IMO, that you could still be replicating virus in your upper airway for a very short period of time, until you produce sufficient antibodies in the upper respiratory in tract to completely stop virus replication. During that window, it is possible, though less likely, to transmit to others. Masking will reduce the chance that you will transmit active virus to others. It will also help reduce transmission of RSV and influenza viruses.

Thankfully the shots help. I was first diagnosed when I lost 30 pounds over 10 years ago and in the process went up two bra cup sizes. It was so apparent that multiple people including my family accused me of having had breast augmentation. Ever since then no matter what I do weight seems to find me. I NEVER had an issue with weight until then. Even after 2 babies.

Learn things here every day... never heard of this.

I have been reading a report about 'excess deaths' in Australia during the pandemic. Which is the rate of deaths above the norm (pre-pandemic).

Surprisingly, we have had negative excess deaths. Fewer deaths than usual. Almost 13,000 fewer deaths - over two years - than we usually would have.
Even with this Omicron surge we have been having, our death rate is still significantly lower than usual.

They think it is likely due to the simultaneous suppression of deaths from flu and other respiratory illnesses.

We are pretty conscientious in wearing our masks in situations where we are supposed to wear them. And most people wear cloth masks, with a smattering of surgical masks, and a few N95s.

Other countries with negative excess deaths include Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand.

Australia COVID: Omicron deaths peak as overall fatalities fall below pre-pandemic levels

Very interesting..... positive community health behavior is really quite significant.

I know I do wash my hands more, and have hand sanitizer in my car.... i just use some every time I get out of the car... I don't even think about it..I just do it.

Just like seatbelts..........

Very interesting..... positive community health behavior is really quite significant.

I know I do wash my hands more, and have hand sanitizer in my car.... i just use some every time I get out of the car... I don't even think about it..I just do it.

Just like seatbelts..........

prior to the pandemic I rarely used hand sanitizer, though it was in my car.
Since the pandemic I use hand sanitizer every single
Time I come from the store--I will continue to do this even after the pandemic
Leaves us. I cannot imagine not using it ----

Hi everybody. Back on January 11, I posted about my daughter-in-law's preschool closing for the week because of COVID. She, my son, and my grandchildren who attend that preschool all ended up sick but are fine now.

They are now closed again. This time, it's about a third of the teachers and there aren't enough substitutes to stay open.

The point is, IMO, that you could still be replicating virus in your upper airway for a very short period of time, until you produce sufficient antibodies in the upper respiratory in tract to completely stop virus replication. During that window, it is possible, though less likely, to transmit to others. Masking will reduce the chance that you will transmit active virus to others. It will also help reduce transmission of RSV and influenza viruses.
The risk of transmitting Covid after 10 days post-positive test and being asymptomatic is extremely low IMO (based on a multitude of studies that support this). We wear N95’s for the full 10 days, then wear N95’s in all public areas at work. Outside of work, I don’t know that any of my post-positive staff are wearing masks. We’re confident enough that we aren’t going to infect anyone or get it again ourselves… at least for a brief time. YMMV.

How many are "all of you"? Interesting you've basically had 75% breakthrough.
We have approximately 150 staff members. About 75% vaccinated with booster. All but one of the rest vaccinated with two doses only, no booster. About 25% had already had Covid once before as well. None of that seemed to matter at all. Prior Covid with full vaccination including booster didn’t seem to help. Prior Covid with two doses didn’t seem to matter. Vaccinated only, with or without booster, didn’t seem to matter.

Most were mild cases. The one unvaccinated with no prior Covid was completely asymptomatic and spent quarantine going on hikes in the woods. The handful who missed a week or more of work and felt horrible were all fully vaccinated with booster and also had Covid previously as well. No clue why, but that was our experience in a small sample size of 150-ish. YMMV.

I got in the habit of using hand sanitizer years ago, it became second nature after going in and out of hospital rooms, parent’s home plus traveling for work.
Big fan of Avagard foaming hand sanitizer.

me too... just like seatbelts now!!!

U.S. figure skater Vincent Zhou out of Olympics after positive Covid test (nbcnews.com)

The Californian's late departure leaves Team USA with just two men left for individual competition.

U.S. Olympic figure skater and medal contender Vincent Zhou tested positive for Covid-19, officials said Monday, and won't be able compete in the men's individual competition at the Beijing Winter Games.

Zhou appeared shaken as he took to Instagram on Monday to reveal the news.

"It seems pretty unreal that of all the people it would happen to, (it'd be) myself," said Zhou, who appeared to be in a hotel room as he spoke directly into a camera...

So much for the protective Olympic bubble :rolleyes: Zhou participated in the figure skating team event over the last couple of days. He sat in the "kiss & cry" booth with his US teammates. If Zhou tested positive, I wonder if our other figure skaters are also vulnerable? The competitors were in close contact throughout the team competition.

U.S. figure skater Vincent Zhou out of Olympics after positive Covid test (nbcnews.com)

The Californian's late departure leaves Team USA with just two men left for individual competition.

U.S. Olympic figure skater and medal contender Vincent Zhou tested positive for Covid-19, officials said Monday, and won't be able compete in the men's individual competition at the Beijing Winter Games.

Zhou appeared shaken as he took to Instagram on Monday to reveal the news.

"It seems pretty unreal that of all the people it would happen to, (it'd be) myself," said Zhou, who appeared to be in a hotel room as he spoke directly into a camera...

So much for the protective Olympic bubble :rolleyes: Zhou participated in the figure skating team event over the last couple of days. He sat in the "kiss & cry" booth with his US teammates. If Zhou tested positive, I wonder if our other figure skaters are also vulnerable? The competitors were in close contact throughout the team competition.

I just can't get interested in Olympics so impacted by the pandemic--

They all wore masks in kiss and cry area so hopefully nobody else will get infected. Men's short program is today. I was exposed to my relative for days and never got it (at least as far as I know, and all my rapid tests which I took at home were negative).
What sucks is that a replacement skater won't be able to compete because Zhou participated in a team competition just before he tested positive. On other hand at least Zhou got to skate in the Olympics and got a team medal.

Last edited:
The future of the pandemic is looking clearer as we learn more about infection

During the early days of the pandemic, scientists and doctors were concerned that being infected with SARS-CoV-2 might not trigger a strong immune response in many people – thus an infection might not provide long-term protection.

"Immunity to Covid-19 could be lost in months, UK study suggests," a headline from The Guardian alerted back in July 2020. "King's College London team found steep drops in patients' antibody levels three months after infection," the story warned.

But that idea was based on preliminary data from the laboratory — and on a faulty understanding of how the immune system works. Now about a year and a half later, better data is painting a more optimistic picture about immunity after a bout of COVID-19. In fact, a symptomatic infection triggers a remarkable immune response in the general population, likely offering protection against severe disease and death for a few years.

'I miss everything. I miss everybody': Depression rates for seniors are soaring amid COVID-19

Geriatric workers say rates of depression and anxiety have risen among their clients, and in more severe cases, those conditions have led to cognitive and physical deterioration, or worse.

“People experienced cognitive decline from having no stimulation, and that has persisted,” said Stacey Malcolmson, Senior Source president and CEO. “For those with underlying mental health conditions like dementia or Alzheimer’s, we’ve been finding that that cognitive decline is irreversible.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
euvin3582