Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am puzzled as to how long the booster is protective-- I don't want to get the 2nd booster before 6 months after the first booster. I just don't feel comfortable getting it sooner, but I wonder at what point does the 3rd shot wane to the point of not providing much protection. For me 6 months will be mid- May. I heard a physician speak on one of the cable channels this morning: she stated that they do not know how long immunity lasts with natural infection or with vaccines and she expressed concern about that.

I've read a lot of articles that talk about 4 months for first booster (3rd shot) of mRNA vaccines. I'm thinking of having the 2nd booster in early-to-mid May as cases start to rise in our region, and then, hopefully, when it is time for the flu shot in September, they will be offering a combo flu and covid shot, at least for seniors.

April 15, 2022

Governor DeWine Announces COVID-19 Diagnosis
(COLUMBUS, Ohio)—Today, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine announced that he has been diagnosed with COVID-19 by his personal physician.

Governor DeWine has been experiencing mild symptoms such as a runny nose, head ache, body aches, and a sore throat.

Early this evening, Governor DeWine received a monoclonal antibody treatment.

To follow CDC COVID-19 diagnosis protocol, Governor DeWine is in quarantine.

First Lady Fran DeWine is experiencing no symptoms and has tested negative.

Both Governor DeWine and Mrs. DeWine are fully vaccinated, each having received the two-dose vaccination and a booster shot.

Governor.Ohio.gov

April 15, 2022

Governor DeWine Announces COVID-19 Diagnosis
(COLUMBUS, Ohio)—Today, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine announced that he has been diagnosed with COVID-19 by his personal physician.

Governor DeWine has been experiencing mild symptoms such as a runny nose, head ache, body aches, and a sore throat.

Early this evening, Governor DeWine received a monoclonal antibody treatment.

To follow CDC COVID-19 diagnosis protocol, Governor DeWine is in quarantine.

First Lady Fran DeWine is experiencing no symptoms and has tested negative.

Both Governor DeWine and Mrs. DeWine are fully vaccinated, each having received the two-dose vaccination and a booster shot.

Governor.Ohio.gov

Speedy recovery to him!

Speedy recovery to him!

He's not young, I'm glad he got the monoclonal antibodies treatment. Sounds like he was having some symptoms, and the news release says that he had the first booster shot, but doesn't say that he had the second booster shot.

Hope the Ohio First Lady stays well, also.

Like almost everybody else in OH, he likely stopped wearing masks. Maybe one day people will figure out there is a connection.

I wrote upthread about a friend who got Covid after visiting museums full of unmasked people in D.C. last weekend. I spoke with his wife today. She wore her mask consistently, except when eating, but she said her husband kept taking his mask off, saying it was uncomfortable. (I think they were wearing N95 masks.) Anyway, she is certain he got Covid because of taking his mask off, and that makes sense to me! It's interesting that she didn't catch Covid from him. They had their 2nd booster a week ago Monday so that may have helped.

I wrote upthread about a friend who got Covid after visiting museums full of unmasked people in D.C. last weekend. I spoke with his wife today. She wore her mask consistently, except when eating, but she said her husband kept taking his mask off, saying it was uncomfortable. (I think they were wearing N95 masks.) Anyway, she is certain he got Covid because of taking his mask off, and that makes sense to me! It's interesting that she didn't catch Covid from him. They had their 2nd booster a week ago Monday so that may have helped.
I'm trying to understand your post. Are you saying your friend didn't catch Covid from her husband because she wears a mask around him all of the time? If they both had the 2nd booster at the same time why did it help her but not her husband?

I am puzzled as to how long the booster is protective-- I don't want to get the 2nd booster before 6 months after the first booster. I just don't feel comfortable getting it sooner, but I wonder at what point does the 3rd shot wane to the point of not providing much protection. For me 6 months will be mid- May. I heard a physician speak on one of the cable channels this morning: she stated that they do not know how long immunity lasts with natural infection or with vaccines and she expressed concern about that.

as per Israeli data, 4 weeks immunity; 6 weeks no hospitalizations...

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...infection-from-2nd-booster-shot-wanes-quickly

of course these recent B omicrons are supposedly less likely to result in severe illness anyway.... a few cases at my job this week :( not on my floor of the building :(

I'm trying to understand your post. Are you saying your friend didn't catch Covid from her husband because she wears a mask around him all of the time? If they both had the 2nd booster at the same time why did it help her but not her husband?

I doubt she's been wearing a mask around her husband, but it didn't occur to me to ask her about that. And I don't know why the 2nd booster would protect her but not him--it might just be individual variation in response. Anyway, I'm glad she didn't get sick, and he only has had cold-type symptoms.

Perhaps with his mask off he was exposed to a higher viral load than she was with her mask?

I have difficulty wearing N95’s for extended time periods so I wear KN95’s. Find what mask style or configuration works the best for you as an individual. I found a brand I like and can tolerate for long workdays or travel days.

Perhaps with his mask off he was exposed to a higher viral load than she was with her mask?

I have difficulty wearing N95’s for extended time periods so I wear KN95’s. Find what mask style or configuration works the best for you as an individual. I found a brand I like and can tolerate for long workdays or travel days.

Yes, that seems likely.

I wonder if the wife has natural immunity to Covid since she didn't catch it from her husband. JMO.

China’s New COVID Crisis Could Spawn the Worst Variant Yet

Read this and weep!!! This article is behind a paywall

Interesting. This may be why the government in China is being so Draconian in Shanghai. A disease that is Covid-19 on steroids? It doesn't help the rest of the world if China doesn't share the information, if this is what is really happening.

COVID Lockdowns Spread in China Along With Public Irritation

Even more interesting in this article, is that if manufacturing in China is shut down, when will we feel that in the United States? And food production? Not enough food in China?

Wrong thread, sorry!

(Hello everyone and happy Easter.)

ETA: Since I'm here, here's some local-ish news. I don't think XE should be much more problematic than BA2 though. Hope not anyway.

NI records small number of new Covid variant cases

A small number of cases of a new variant of the Omicron strain of Covid-19 have been discovered in Northern Ireland, public health officials said.

The new form of the virus, known as Omicron XE, is a recombinant of the Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 variants.

(...)

Last edited:
China’s New COVID Crisis Could Spawn the Worst Variant Yet

Read this and weep!!! This article is behind a paywall

Seems to be a very speculative article IMO, not gonna weep on the basis of this.

After speculating (about China) - “there will be a remarkable amount of viral reproduction occurring in people and this will increase the possibility of problematic variants being produced.”

it then goes on to speculate - "the next major lineage may come from countries where the virus has already swept through the population. Somewhere in Europe, or the U.S."

so basically could happen anywhere really!

It does make a case against lockdowns though - "You can’t build up natural antibodies across a large population if no one is ever exposed to the virus. That’s the downside of total lockdowns."

In the UK in my opinion we locked down too late in the first wave, but I think what we, and it would seem many countries are doing now, in terms of trying to live with the virus, is probably right. I would still keep masks in confined public spaces though. MOO.

Last edited:

I saw my PCP last Thursday and asked if she wanted me to get the 2nd booster. She is recommending the injection to all of her geriatric patients and said that I should get a 2nd booster. DH and I had our first boosters on November 16, so we'll probably get the second shot in mid-May.

Happy Easter/Passover :)

I saw my PCP last Thursday and asked if she wanted me to get the 2nd booster. She is recommending the injection to all of her geriatric patients and said that I should get a 2nd booster. DH and I had our first boosters on November 16, so we'll probably get the second shot in mid-May.

Happy Easter/Passover :)[/QUOTE

Thanks for Sharing that info ------I had my booster Nov 17- so I will
Get my shot mid-May also. We will be driving back to Michigan this coming
Weekend so once again will have to take precautions on the. road. I have
Not been wearing a mask when grocery shopping or going to breakfast
Because the cases are low here-- however I think I will mask up when
We hit the road.

Happy Easter/Passover to you and family!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper