Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a rug hooking convention in Kansas City from 9/14 to 9/18. I just found out I was exposed to COVID last Thursday. There were probably 200-300 people at the convention with groups of 10 to 15 meeting in small conference rooms. One of the people who was in a conference room for a class that I attended tested positive last night. I hope I don’t get COVID. But also I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and a laser treatment on my eye on Friday. I don’t know if I should cancel these appointments or not. I’m fully vaccinated, except for the last one.
I’d definitely disclose that to your dentist and eye doctor, our doctors ask when we walk up to the desk if we’ve been out of state, in close contact with someone who tested positive or if we’ve been to an indoor concert, church or convention/conference without mask wearing.
A yes to any of those questions and they reschedule your appointment.

Detroit — Starting next month, thousands of commuters who drive from Detroit to Windsor daily will likely no longer have to prove their vaccination status at the Canadian border as officials are expected to drop the vaccine requirement for people entering Canada by the end of September.

Citing "an official familiar with the matter," the Associated Press reported Wednesday that the Canadian government will likely end random COVID-19 testing at airports, in addition to dropping the vaccine requirement for entry to the country. Filling out information in the ArriveCan app will also no longer be required.

Canada's vaccine requirement prompted a nationwide protest by thousands of truck drivers who opposed the mandate. In February, a convoy of truckers blocked the Ambassador Bridge for a week, shutting down traffic while impacting auto production and other industries...

Scientists have unfortunately found a link between Covid-19 and the development of Alzheimer's, sometimes within a year of an older person contracting the virus. I consider this really bad news.
Thanks for the link. This does seem like bad news.

From the article (BBM):
The research, published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, found that folks aged 65 and older who were infected with COVID-19 were 50% to 80% more likely to develop Alzheimer's disease within a year compared to their peers who did not contract COVID-19. The highest risk was observed in women aged 85 or older.

The study looked at medical records for millions of Americans in the 65-plus age range, with 5.8 million people in the control group and 400,000 in the COVID-19 group. The researchers were unable to determine if COVID-19 infection actually causes patients to develop Alzheimer's or if it simply causes the disease to express itself sooner than it would otherwise, but they plan to do more research on the subject going forward.

From another article (COVID-19 Linked to Increased Alzheimer's Risk):

Association, not Causation​

Heather Snyder, PhD, Alzheimer's Association vice president of medical and scientific relations, who commented on the findings for Medscape Medical News, called the findings interesting but emphasized caution in interpreting the results.

"Because this study only showed an association through medical records, we cannot know what the underlying mechanisms driving this association are without more research," Snyder said. "If you have had COVID-19, it doesn't mean you're going to get dementia. But if you have had COVID-19 and are experiencing long-term symptoms including cognitive difficulties, talk to your doctor." .... Davis agreed, noting that this type of study offers information on association, but not causation.

Instead, a Covid-19 infection could cause inflammation that may exacerbate changes that are already happening in the brain, experts say.

MOO
No link between 2 showing Covid causes Alzheimer’s but may exacerbate existing Alzheimer’s that hasn’t yet been diagnosed

https://twitter.com/DanielRosney
@DanielRosney

Queen Margrethe of Denmark has covid, the Danish palace announces She was sat with all reigning kings and queens of Europe at Queen Elizabeth II's funeral on Monday
I wonder if there were any Covid protocols in place, like rapid testing immediately prior to the funeral. She had Covid back in February/March.

So I guess a 24% increase in two weeks is considered a slight uptick now ……

“Cases of COVID-19 in Boston increased 7% over the past week and 24% over the past two weeks as city health officials warn the virus is still spreading through communities, according to data publicized Friday afternoon.”

Moderna boosted yesterday-bit of a sore arm this morning 24 hours in. This was my first Moderna shot (3 Pfizers previous)
Was this the new bivalent booster? I had three Pfizers, one Moderna, and the Pfizer bivalent booster. I might have chosen to get the Moderna bivalent booster, but it wasn't available in this area yet and I didn't want to wait. Sore arm didn't last long.

So I guess a 24% increase in two weeks is considered a slight uptick now ……

“Cases of COVID-19 in Boston increased 7% over the past week and 24% over the past two weeks as city health officials warn the virus is still spreading through communities, according to data publicized Friday afternoon.”

Doesn't sound so slight to me!!!

Yes, it was the new bivalent one

There were some delays and shortages of the new Moderna booster from what I’ve read.

I was trying to delay as long as I could to have as much coverage as possible through the winter. I would have ideally waited at least a few more weeks but feels like things are ramping up again.

Was this the new bivalent booster? I had three Pfizers, one Moderna, and the Pfizer bivalent booster. I might have chosen to get the Moderna bivalent booster, but it wasn't available in this area yet and I didn't want to wait. Sore arm didn't last long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member