Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the Wuhan lab leaked the Covid-19 virus, but I think it was accidental and that the bio-secuirty measures they had in place were sorely lacking, as this was known in the worldwide scientific community. There are such grave risks with gain-of-function research, I hope that countries around the world can largely agree to refrain from this kind of research that can pose such a great risk to their populations and to the world.
Thank you Sundog, as always. Do you have a theory as to why they would now be engaging in such risky research? Just always looking for answers. TIA

SARS-CoV-2 Can Infect Dopamine Neurons Causing Senescence

A new study reported that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID, can infect dopamine neurons in the brain and trigger senescence—when a cell loses the ability to grow and divide. The researchers from Weill Cornell Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons suggest that further research on this finding may shed light on the neurological symptoms associated with long COVID such as brain fog, lethargy and depression.

The findings, published in Cell Stem Cell on Jan. 17, show that dopamine neurons infected with SARS-CoV-2 stop working and send out chemical signals that cause inflammation. Normally, these neurons produce dopamine, a neurotransmitter that plays a role in feelings of pleasure, motivation, memory, sleep and movement. Damage to these neurons is also connected to Parkinson’s disease.

“This project started out to investigate how various types of cells in different organs respond to SARS-CoV-2 infection. We tested lung cells, heart cells, pancreatic beta cells, but the senescence pathway is only activated in dopamine neurons,” said senior author Dr. Shuibing Chen, director of the Center for Genomic Health, the Kilts Family Professor Surgery and a member of the Hartman Institute for Therapeutic Organ Regeneration at Weill Cornell Medicine. "This was a completely unexpected result.”

Determining How SARS-CoV-2 Impacts Different Cells​

Previously, Dr. Chen led the effort to generate multiple cell types from human stem cells and tested them to see which ones SARS-CoV-2 could infect. This allowed the researchers to survey the spectrum of tissues that might be infected during COVID, which has a diverse array of symptoms in different patients. They also studied autopsy samples from patients infected with the virus to confirm their observations from the lab grown cells.

Surprisingly, they found that a small percentage of dopamine neurons exposed to SARS-CoV-2 were infected, approximately five percent. “The infection rate of dopamine neurons isn’t as high as lung cells, the virus’s main target, but even a small population of infected cells can potentially have a severe effect,” said Dr. Chen.

Interestingly, not all neuronal cell types were vulnerable to viral infection. The researchers observed that cortical neurons were not permissive to SARS-CoV-2 infection under identical experimental conditions.

(...)

Thank you Sundog, as always. Do you have a theory as to why they would now be engaging in such risky research? Just always looking for answers. TIA

The NIH has a lot of information on why gain-of-function research is done in virology - use of mouse, ferret models, etc. Here is one summary of symposia discussions, there are many more, I just chose this one.

Gain-of-Function Research: Background and Alternatives - Potential Risks and Benefits of Gain-of-Function Research - NCBI Bookshelf

I think social distancing was pure common sense. When people are sick with a contagious illness you keep them apart. Otherwise the well people will catch the contagious illness.

Social distancing was not a medicine that people were asked to take. It was a common sense physical measure to try to slow the spread down while science got busy trying to study the illness and find some remedies as quickly as it could.

I think social distancing worked very well. And still does, when trying to avoid someone else's contagious illness.

imo

Since Covid is still a novel virus, and there is so much still to be learned about it, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a lifetime issue for those that have had covid. <--- All MOO. The below based on fact:

Autopsies of patients with COVID-19 showed evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection throughout the entire body, even among those who had mild or asymptomatic cases.

Analysis of the patients’ samples revealed SARS-CoV-2 in almost every organ and organ system of their bodies, including their skin, eyes, stomachs, muscle, fat, glands, and six different parts of their brains. SARS-CoV-2 was present even in asymptomatic patients, patients who had had mild cases of COVID-19, and patients who had first been diagnosed with the disease months before their death. This suggests that even mild cases of COVID-19 spread quickly and the virus can remain in our tissue for a long time

The relationship between viral infections and the risk of developing cancer is well known. Multiple mechanisms participate in and determine this process. The COVID-19 pandemic caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus has resulted in the deaths of millions of people worldwide. Although the effects of COVID-19 are limited for most people, a large number of people continue to show symptoms for a long period of time (long COVID). Several studies have suggested that cancer could also be a potential long-term complication of the virus; however, the causes of this risk are not yet well understood. In this review, we investigated arguments that could support or reject this possibility.
[...]
Convalescent patients with mild or asymptomatic infections have also shown neutrophil dysfunction, which could increase a patient’s susceptibility to cancer.
[...]
The link between viral infections and the risk of developing cancer is well known. It is estimated that 15.4% of all cancer cases can be attributed to carcinogenic infections, for which viruses are the main risk factor

Much more at: Should We Expect an Increase in the Number of Cancer Cases in People with Long COVID?

Gemmie here - Looking up "carcinogenic infections" led me to the site below. Note that the date of this info is 2019, pre-Covid, so I would think Covid would be added to the list should that page ever get updated.

Certain infectious agents, including viruses, bacteria, and parasites, can cause cancer or increase the risk that cancer will form. Some viruses can disrupt signaling that normally keeps cell growth and proliferation in check. Also, some infections weaken the immune system, making the body less able to fight off other cancer-causing infections. And some viruses, bacteria, and parasites also cause chronic inflammation, which may lead to cancer.

Since Covid is still a novel virus, and there is so much still to be learned about it, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a lifetime issue for those that have had covid. <--- All MOO. The below based on fact:

Autopsies of patients with COVID-19 showed evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection throughout the entire body, even among those who had mild or asymptomatic cases.

Analysis of the patients’ samples revealed SARS-CoV-2 in almost every organ and organ system of their bodies, including their skin, eyes, stomachs, muscle, fat, glands, and six different parts of their brains. SARS-CoV-2 was present even in asymptomatic patients, patients who had had mild cases of COVID-19, and patients who had first been diagnosed with the disease months before their death. This suggests that even mild cases of COVID-19 spread quickly and the virus can remain in our tissue for a long time

I would like it if these articles gave some context, for example whether *other* viruses remain in some/all organs long after the acute infection. Colds? Flu? HIV? Polio? etc.

I think it's implied here that the lasting presence of SARS-CoV2 is unique, but many people will not really get the seriousness if it's not put in context in this way.

Last edited:
I would like it if these articles gave some context, for example whether *other* viruses remain in some/all organs long after the acute infection. Colds? Flu? HIV? Polio? etc.

I think it's implied here that the lasting presence of SARS-CoV2 is unique, but many people will not really get the seriousness if it's not put in context in this way.
That’s a great question.
We do know that the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox…… remains in our body our whole life.
Viruses are weird if you really think about it.

I don't believe this article is accurate. I don't know if immunity debt is even a real thing, but if it is, I'm fairly sure it doesn't work in the way suggested in this article.

Being infected with a virus doesn't strengthen your immune system.

Being exposed to a virus and NOT becoming infected is a RESULT of a good immune system, not something that strengthens the immune system.

If anything, some diseases (or their treatment) weaken the immune system.

A strong immune system is, as I understand it, partly a well-functioning body (ie good nutrition, good rest, etc) partly a result of NOT having been compromised by other illnesses, and partly genetics.

Having a strong immune system helps a person resist infection by things they are exposed to, but having or resisting infections is not how an immune system is strengthened.

Some viral infections leave a person with (usually short-term) immunity from that particular virus, but that is unrelated to whether they have a strong or weak immune system in general.

MOO

Last edited:
Immunity debt appears to account for the high levels of RSV infection circulating this year both here and in other places around the world. In Beijing, for example, like here in the U.S., immunity debt has resulted in young children and seniors becoming more vulnerable than usual to the RSV virus (and influenza) due to lack of exposure while social distancing due to Covid-19.

which can then cause shingles later in life, I think ? Someone please correct me if that’s wrong info.
That's correct. And what causes it to reactivate into shingles? Probably many things, maybe some of which we don't even know yet. Stress is one I'm aware of. And now I'm reading that covid can also reactivate the shingles virus.

I also think we are learning that covid itself often remains in the body long after the acute infection has gone. Whether it will reappear years down the road in whatever unknown form, we don't yet know.

Herpes is another one, I believe, that once you have it, the virus remains in your body, whether active with symptoms or not.

Effect of COVID-19 on the Organs​

This is a review of COVID-19's extensive effects on virtually all the organs. It causes inflammation, endotheliitis, vasoconstriction, hypercoagulability, and edema. Lymphocytopenia, elevated D-dimer, elevated fibrin degradation products (FDPs), and disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) are observed. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT), venous thromboembolism, pulmonary embolism (PE), systemic and pulmonary arterial thrombosis and embolism, ischemic stroke, and myocardial infarction (MI) are reported.

In the heart it can cause acute coronary syndrome, congestive heart failure, myocarditis, and arrhythmias. Kidney injury is usually secondary to systemic abnormalities. Stroke occurs even in young patients. Delirium and seizures are common. Anosmia and impaired sense of taste are reported. Psychological problems are common among patients as well as providers. Stool may contain virus. Lactate dehydrogenase may be elevated. Various skin manifestations including patchy erythematous rash are reported.

Way more at: Effect of COVID-19 on the Organs

Effect of COVID-19 on the Organs​

This is a review of COVID-19's extensive effects on virtually all the organs. It causes inflammation, endotheliitis, vasoconstriction, hypercoagulability, and edema. Lymphocytopenia, elevated D-dimer, elevated fibrin degradation products (FDPs), and disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) are observed. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT), venous thromboembolism, pulmonary embolism (PE), systemic and pulmonary arterial thrombosis and embolism, ischemic stroke, and myocardial infarction (MI) are reported.

In the heart it can cause acute coronary syndrome, congestive heart failure, myocarditis, and arrhythmias. Kidney injury is usually secondary to systemic abnormalities. Stroke occurs even in young patients. Delirium and seizures are common. Anosmia and impaired sense of taste are reported. Psychological problems are common among patients as well as providers. Stool may contain virus. Lactate dehydrogenase may be elevated. Various skin manifestations including patchy erythematous rash are reported.

Way more at: Effect of COVID-19 on the Organs

Although these are possible effects of Covid-19 and some individuals may have some of these effects, we need also to remember that some individuals get Covid-19 and after symptoms clear they are just fine.

Although these are possible effects of Covid-19 and some individuals may have some of these effects, we need also to remember that some individuals get Covid-19 and after symptoms clear they are just fine.
While I agree that people may "feel" just fine after recovering from covid, that does not mean the virus isn't still in their bodies waiting to cause problems in the future.

Problems meaning anything from short- or long-term reduced ability to fight off OTHER diseases, to "mystery" fatigue/brain fog etc, to direct covid-related issues (heart, lungs, anything blood-vessel related) later in life.

Just as a child who recovers from chicken pox "feels fine" for decades but is still vulnerable to shingles later in life, due to the virus remaining in their body the whole time.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member