Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

This article is about the RSV vaccine and a rare reaction. I think it deserves to be posted here since a lot of us are getting this vaccine ( I didn't get it)

Four years after what was once the “novel coronavirus” was declared a pandemic, COVID remains the most dangerous infectious respiratory illness regularly circulating in the U.S. But a glance at the United States’ most prominent COVID policies can give the impression that the disease is just another seasonal flu. COVID vaccines are now reformulated annually, and recommended in the autumn for everyone over the age of six months, just like flu shots; tests and treatments for the disease are steadily being commercialized, like our armamentarium against flu. And the CDC is reportedly considering more flu-esque isolation guidance for COVID: Stay home ’til you’re feeling better and are, for at least a day, fever-free without meds.

[...]

Every winter seems to bring a COVID peak, but the virus is now much less likely to hospitalize or kill us, and somewhat less likely to cause long-term illness. People develop symptoms sooner after infection, and, especially if they’re vaccinated, are less likely to be as sick for as long. COVID patients are no longer overwhelming hospitals; those who do develop severe COVID tend to be those made more vulnerable by age or other health issues.

Even so, COVID and the flu are nowhere near the same. SARS-CoV-2 still spikes in non-winter seasons and simmers throughout the rest of the year. In 2023, COVID hospitalized more than 900,000 Americans and killed 75,000; the worst flu season of the past decade hospitalized 200,000 fewer people and resulted in 23,000 fewer deaths. A recent CDC survey reported that more than 5 percent of American adults are currently experiencing long COVID, which cannot be fully prevented by vaccination or treatment, and for which there is no cure. Plus, scientists simply understand much less about the coronavirus than flu viruses. Its patterns of spread, its evolution, and the durability of our immunity against it all may continue to change.

More at: MSN

Hahahaha
I'm still laughing :D

What about "elbow touching"? ;)

In my country (Europe) nobody is wearing masks any more and people react alergically if somebody mentions COVID hehe

I hated masks by the way.
I was suffocating in them.
I never got the elbow touching thing either. It was silly. Why not just nod, as in , whatever. Just a nod. I truly don’t get the whole handshake tradition. It makes no sense to me. And the last ones that tried to shake my hand were men who worked in the field… as in generators, air conditioning, etc. Why would they want to shake my hand. It’s a really bad habit, IMO.

I never got the elbow touching thing either. It was silly. Why not just nod, as in , whatever. Just a nod. I truly don’t get the whole handshake tradition. It makes no sense to me. And the last ones that tried to shake my hand were men who worked in the field… as in generators, air conditioning, etc. Why would they want to shake my hand. It’s a really bad habit, IMO.
Why are is there a need to greet strangers by touching them at all? Fist bump, elbow touch, handshake, why? Just smile and nod.

Why are is there a need to greet strangers by touching them at all? Fist bump, elbow touch, handshake, why? Just smile and nod.
Because handshaking has been around forever and old habits are hard to break. I stopped years ago after getting the "bone-crusher". People pick their noses, and their teeth, and some even still sneeze into their hands and you know they didn't run off to the bathroom right after to wash them. I posted about a dental hygienist doing EXACTLY that right in front of me. Then she thought she was going to work on my mouth? Our "interaction" brought the dentist running to see what the problem wash. smh

Speaking of which... not everyone washes their hands after using the bathroom. But back to handshaking being around forever...

Archaeological ruins and ancient texts show that handshaking was practiced in ancient Greece (where it was called dexiosis) as early as the 5th century BC.

Americans have been shaking hands with each other at least since the 17th century, when Quakers, who explicitly denounced exhibits of social hierarchy, used this as their form of greeting and taking leave. That said, clasping hands has not always seemed to be a great idea in the United States.

It's a habit I'd love to see go to the wayside, but I don't see it changing. No way to get billions of people to all decide it needs to stop, unfortunately.

Because handshaking has been around forever and old habits are hard to break. I stopped years ago after getting the "bone-crusher". People pick their noses, and their teeth, and some even still sneeze into their hands and you know they didn't run off to the bathroom right after to wash them. I posted about a dental hygienist doing EXACTLY that right in front of me. Then she thought she was going to work on my mouth? Our "interaction" brought the dentist running to see what the problem wash. smh

Speaking of which... not everyone washes their hands after using the bathroom. But back to handshaking being around forever...

Archaeological ruins and ancient texts show that handshaking was practiced in ancient Greece (where it was called dexiosis) as early as the 5th century BC.

Americans have been shaking hands with each other at least since the 17th century, when Quakers, who explicitly denounced exhibits of social hierarchy, used this as their form of greeting and taking leave. That said, clasping hands has not always seemed to be a great idea in the United States.

It's a habit I'd love to see go to the wayside, but I don't see it changing. No way to get billions of people to all decide it needs to stop, unfortunately.

I see this habit (shaking hands) mainly in business setting.
Like being introduced to a boss or colleague at work.

Rarely among friends.
Me and my friends never shake hands while meeting.

As for sneezing/coughing in public and not having a tissue handy -
it is enough to cough/sneeze into your elbow to avoid the transfer of microorganisms.

JMO

New York — Americans who test positive for COVID-19 no longer need to stay in isolation for five days, U.S. health officials announced Friday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention changed its longstanding guidance, saying that people can return to work or regular activities if their symptoms are mild and improving and it's been a day since they've had a fever.

The change comes at a time when COVID-19 is no longer the public health menace it once was. It dropped from being the nation's third leading cause of death early in the pandemic to 10th last year.

Most people have some degree of immunity to the coronavirus from past vaccinations or from infections. And many people are not following the five-day isolation guidance anyway, some experts say.

“Our goal here is to continue to protect those at risk for severe illness while also reassuring folks that these recommendation are simple, clear, easy to understand, and can be followed,” said Dr. Mandy Cohen, the CDC’s director,

However, some experts worry that the change may increase the risk of infection for older people and others who are more vulnerable to getting seriously ill...

Well I’ve made the decision to stop shaking hands. I guess I’ll just nod my head and say, how do you do? …. then maybe say something like…. “nothing personal, but since the pandemic I no longer shake hands”.

Anyone else have any different suggestion on how to handle it?

I don't mind shaking hands in professional settings. It is a Western tradition. I can wash or sanitize my hands afterward.
I do understand it more in a professional setting. I simply don’t understand why an air conditioning contractor wants to shake my hand. He’s at my house to work on my AC. It’s not a professional setting.
Did they not pay attention at all during the pandemic , about not shaking hands? It seems that people would have steered away from that tradition. JMO

Well I’ve made the decision to stop shaking hands. I guess I’ll just nod my head and say, how do you do? …. then maybe say something like…. “nothing personal, but since the pandemic I no longer shake hands”.

Or you could leave it short and sweet with "Nothing personal". I'd do the virtual handshake, like I mentioned upthread, if I was ever in a situation like that again (which I doubt I'll ever be).

I do understand it more in a professional setting. I simply don’t understand why an air conditioning contractor wants to shake my hand. He’s at my house to work on my AC. It’s not a professional setting.
Habit IMO.
Did they not pay attention at all during the pandemic , about not shaking hands?
Newp. And they are still not paying attention IMO

I read this somewhere, and thought it pretty good. Say: I’m going handshake-free, to be extra careful.”

It’d be nice if we in the US could adopt something like the Japanese bow or the namaste (palms together) greeting!

Because I’m of Japanese heritage, the bow is not that weird to me, plus it’s just a bit more than what you are planning, to nod your head. The Japanese bow from the waist, and it’s interesting that how deep one bows depends on the situation! :D
The Japanese bow
IMG_0274.png

Seriously? Makes me want to never leave home due to all the sick people who won’t be isolating.
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who went to class, school, work, etc. with a mild cold or sore throat when we were young. That said, Covid is much more dangerous than the "common cold" and requires isolation, especially from those who are particularly vulnerable to serious illness. It's scary to think that people who have Covid might knowingly go to school, work, grocery shopping, a movie theatre, etc. despite their illness. I doubt they'd wear masks, so anyone with whom they come in contact will be at risk for contracting Covid. CDC should rethink this decision. JMO

Americans should expect yet another update of the Covid-19 vaccine this fall at about the same time as flu shots are available, the top US public health official said Monday.

Researchers are working on selecting a strain for the upcoming version, and will probably wait until May to pick one to target with vaccines, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Mandy Cohen said in an interview at Bloomberg’s offices in Washington

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/ot...-expected-to-come-this-fall-cdc-director-says

And it looks like older adults will be able to get another "booster" this spring of last fall's updated vaccine.

For Immediate Release: Wednesday, February 28, 2024:

“Today’s recommendation allows older adults to receive an additional dose of this season’s COVID-19 vaccine to provide added protection,” said Mandy Cohen, M.D., M.P.H.

A new CDC report finds that the updated (2023-2024) COVID-19 vaccines cut the risk in half for visiting the emergency department, urgent care, or being hospitalized with COVID-19 for most people.

Receipt of an updated COVID-19 vaccine dose provided increased protection against COVID-19–associated emergency department and urgent care encounters and hospitalization compared with no receipt of an updated vaccine dose among immunocompetent U.S. adults during a period of multiple cocirculating SARS-CoV-2 Omicron lineages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member