Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We just got back from Alaskan cruise it was fantastic! You only have so much time. I want to try and maximize it! Heading to aruba cruise next! We love Celebrity cruises! No masks for us
We enjoy dining out, travel, concerts and living our life! Enjoy!
Welcome to Websleuths and to the covid thread. Just a heads up…We’ve all had different covid experiences, and empathy for others’ difficult covid experiences is what we provide each other here. I’m glad to hear you’re living life, but clearly some of us don’t have that option if we want to live or experience a small number of the pleasures we used to.

ETA—Just a thought, if we each have only been allotted “so much time” (a certain amount of time) to live, there would be no need for us to take any safety precautions, etc.

JMO

Last edited:
Today my ex (not quite a covid denier but very close, bragged about never wearing a mask etc) stopped by my house and we had a brief chat sitting outside. He asked me if I remembered about a month ago when we had had lunch together at our local restaurant (usually quite empty). A friend had stopped at our table to say hello, and while she was chatting with us, someone behind her sneezed and the friend (a former nurse) pulled her shirt collar over her face in an attempt to protect her face.

I hadn't seen my ex since then, though we've had occasional email contact. Well, today he told me that the next day after that lunch, he had gotten sick. He had a high fever for several days and was sick for something like three weeks. Of course he didn't test but assumes it was likely covid.

He said he had been reluctant to tell me because he thought I would be all "I told you so" about not getting vaccinated. I would never! (probably :) )

Anyway he's still in complete denial and doesn't even want to hear information about the idea that there might be longterm effects from covid. So I didn't even try to have that conversation today.

But it spooked me a bit -- I didn't get sick but of course I might have contracted an asymptomatic case from that same visit, how would I know? And I need to tell my former nurse friend too, just so she's aware that was a likely exposure.

I am actually headed to that same restaurant for dinner with a friend tonight but we plan to sit outside.

The early Burning Man traffic has started to pass through my area, so this will probably be the last time for a month or so that I go into a resturant or local shop, while all the nonlocal viruses make their way through the area. I love to see the folks passing through, but I don't love the infusion of new germs it inevitably brings.

The early Burning Man traffic has started to pass through my area, so this will probably be the last time for a month or so that I go into a resturant or local shop, while all the nonlocal viruses make their way through the area. I love to see the folks passing through, but I don't love the infusion of new germs it inevitably brings.

Honestly, I'm surprised he even admitted it to you.

I'm in a suburb directly next to Chicago...the big Air and Water show at the lakefront is this weekend, my teen's school starts next week, and the week after that is the DNC in Chicago. *sigh* I'm seeing on local Facebook groups that several of our pharmacies are out of Paxlovid already. Time to go order more Covid tests on Amazon since the store shelves will be bare of them in a week or two.

Lyles competes in Olympics despite having COVID

Lyles kept the news of his diagnosis in a tight circle; his family, medical staff, and coach knew, he said after the race. “We didn't want everybody to go into a panic,” he said. “We wanted to be able to make it as discreet as possible. You never want to tell your competitors you're sick. Why would you give them an edge over you?”

In a statement, the sport’s governing body USA Track & Field (USATF) said that it and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) stood by Lyles’ decision to compete. “Our primary commitment is to ensure the safety of Team USA athletes while upholding their right to compete,” USATF said in a statement. “After a thorough medical evaluation, Noah chose to compete tonight. We respect his decision and will continue to monitor his condition closely. As an organization, we are rigorously adhering to CDC, USOPC, and IOC guidelines for respiratory illnesses to prevent the spread of illness among team members, safeguarding their health and performance.”

@IceIce9 Personally I think the desire to retain as much competitive edge as possible by not telling his competitors, should have been outweighed by the conscientiousness needed to not risk passing it along to his nearby competitors and team members.

If he had a sprained ankle and decided to run anyway, sure, don't tell the others to avoid a psychological negative. But a contagious disease that for some is life threatening? Heck no.

Welcome to Websleuths and to the covid thread. Just a heads up…We’ve all had different covid experiences, and empathy for others’ difficult covid experiences is what we provide each other here. I’m glad to hear you’re living life, but clearly some of us don’t have that option if we want to live or experience a small number of the pleasures we used to.

ETA—Just a thought, if we each have only been allotted “so much time” (a certain amount of time) to live, there would be no need for us to take any safety precautions, etc.

JMO

Yes we do!

@IceIce9 Personally I think the desire to retain as much competitive edge as possible by not telling his competitors, should have been outweighed by the conscientiousness needed to not risk passing it along to his nearby competitors and team members.

If he had a sprained ankle and decided to run anyway, sure, don't tell the others to avoid a psychological negative. But a contagious disease that for some is life threatening? Heck no.
I thought it was a very selfish decision for him to compete knowing that he had COVID. JMO

I had been watching the news with a friend when we saw the report that Lyles had competed when he knew he had COVID. We both just looked at each other, fairly shocked. Especially since the local sportscaster was presenting the story in a “wow Lyles is just so brave” manner.

Well, this is sure good news. It's just not making me throw away my masks.

Covid deaths in the U.S. fell 69% between 2022 - 2023, putting the disease as the 10th leading cause of death last year, down from fourth in 2022.

It was 1.6% of the country's total in 2023, and 5.7% of the total in 2022.

I thought it was a very selfish decision for him to compete knowing that he had COVID. JMO

I had been watching the news with a friend when we saw the report that Lyles had competed when he knew he had COVID. We both just looked at each other, fairly shocked. Especially since the local sportscaster was presenting the story in a “wow Lyles is just so brave” manner.

Ditto. *sigh*

Not to mention, there does seem to be a link between people doing strong exercise while actively having Covid or returning to strong exercise immediately after and Long Covid. They are working on research.

With him already having asthma, he's already at higher risk for complications to start with. :(

Very selfish decision

It is up to him, he did what he wanted. It's his decision some agree some don't

Today my ex (not quite a covid denier but very close, bragged about never wearing a mask etc) stopped by my house and we had a brief chat sitting outside. He asked me if I remembered about a month ago when we had had lunch together at our local restaurant (usually quite empty). A friend had stopped at our table to say hello, and while she was chatting with us, someone behind her sneezed and the friend (a former nurse) pulled her shirt collar over her face in an attempt to protect her face.

I hadn't seen my ex since then, though we've had occasional email contact. Well, today he told me that the next day after that lunch, he had gotten sick. He had a high fever for several days and was sick for something like three weeks. Of course he didn't test but assumes it was likely covid.

He said he had been reluctant to tell me because he thought I would be all "I told you so" about not getting vaccinated. I would never! (probably :) )

Anyway he's still in complete denial and doesn't even want to hear information about the idea that there might be longterm effects from covid. So I didn't even try to have that conversation today.

But it spooked me a bit -- I didn't get sick but of course I might have contracted an asymptomatic case from that same visit, how would I know? And I need to tell my former nurse friend too, just so she's aware that was a likely exposure.

I am actually headed to that same restaurant for dinner with a friend tonight but we plan to sit outside.

Everyone has there own opinion on the covid. We all don't agree and that's OK I don't begrudge anyone. No masks for me though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDowden72
Back