Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #112

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CVS has the new booster, and when you go to make an appt on their app/website it specifies that. I live in the Chicago area, and the pharmacist said they just got it Wednesday. I got my 17 who has long Covid the booster there last night, and I (also with long Covid) am getting mine tomorrow afternoon. Really living it up in our house on the holiday weekend!
Awesome! Did you ask what they do with the old formula so as to not have any accidents like the one my city had?

made an online appt today- they do not tell you whether you will get the "new" COVID shot, the "old" COVID shot or what manufacturer's shot they are offering... I hope that unlike last year, when I get to the pharmacy, they will actually have vaccine :(
let me add to this and say that I called and after a bit of phone tag, they told me that they had a large supply of shots, all manufacturers... that was not on the web site when I signed up- supposed to be the new formulas.

Awesome! Did you ask what they do with the old formula so as to not have any accidents like the one my city had?

I did not. I only verbally verified with her that it was the new formulation. The phamacists at that location are pretty on top of things. I know people had been calling them starting Monday asking when they would get it, so they were definitely aware of local's interest in only the new version.

Got my booster yesterday. Definitely feeling worse than my other boosters, because up until now I've only had Moderna but yesterday's was Pfizer. Just like every time, the lymph node at my collar bone on that side of my body has swollen up and is achy. Just exhausted to the bone. Plenty of icing and arnica gel, plus the prescription strength NSAID I'm on anyway for my long Covid induced rheumatoid arthritis, but still a lot of arm/neck/shoulder pain. Not looking forward to washing my hair tonight--I've got too much of it to be able to effectively wash it using only one arm/hand. It's still better than when I got my first Covid booster and was silly enough to go ahead and get my flu shot in my other arm--my immune system can't handle that much all at once even though other people are fine with it.

If the uninsured cannot afford to pay for the vaccine, I would not be surprised to see a large uptick in cases this year.

As updated coronavirus vaccines hit U.S. pharmacy shelves, adults without health insurance are discovering the shots are no longer free, instead costing up to $200.
The federal Bridge Access Program covering the cost of coronavirus vaccines for uninsured and underinsured people ran out of funding.

If the uninsured cannot afford to pay for the vaccine, I would not be surprised to see a large uptick in cases this year.

In our state, our county health departments provide vaccines for uninsured adults and children, including the covid-19 vaccine this fall for those who want it.

I don't think this issue will determine a significant increase in cases this year. I think that the percentage of people who want the vaccine is much lower than in the past and that will be the determining factor regarding case increases. I think seniors and immuno-compromised individuals will be the demographics most concerned about getting the vaccine and that the majority of healthy young people are opting out. I would likely do the same if I was younger and had no risk factors.

Got my booster yesterday. Definitely feeling worse than my other boosters, because up until now I've only had Moderna but yesterday's was Pfizer. Just like every time, the lymph node at my collar bone on that side of my body has swollen up and is achy. Just exhausted to the bone. Plenty of icing and arnica gel, plus the prescription strength NSAID I'm on anyway for my long Covid induced rheumatoid arthritis, but still a lot of arm/neck/shoulder pain. Not looking forward to washing my hair tonight--I've got too much of it to be able to effectively wash it using only one arm/hand. It's still better than when I got my first Covid booster and was silly enough to go ahead and get my flu shot in my other arm--my immune system can't handle that much all at once even though other people are fine with it.
I'm a little confused by the word "booster". I thought the 2024-25 shots were new versions of the Covid vaccine that include newer strains/variants of the virus. Wouldn't a "booster" be another dose of the same formula that was given last year?

I'm a little confused by the word "booster". I thought the 2024-25 shots were new versions of the Covid vaccine that include newer strains/variants of the virus. Wouldn't a "booster" be another dose of the same formula that was given last year?
Some people are still using the word booster even though the CDC stopped using the word when the first updated vaccine came out with a new formula back in 2023.

Why isn't the new COVID vaccine considered a booster? The FDA is calling the newest shots “updated vaccines” in anticipation of needing to provide updated formulas annually, similar to the flu shot, which changes each year.

From a 2023 post of mine:

There are NO MORE boosters. The new vaccine targets what is currently going around similar to how flu shots work. In fact, they changed the 'recipe' with the last one out a few months ago (Sept 2023) to not include the original strain as Covid has mutated SO MUCH that it's not useful to "boost" (the way they were doing it before the last batch/vaccine) people for something not going around.

The FDA calls this an updated vaccine (not a “booster” like previous shots) because it builds a new immune response to variants that are currently circulating. This change reflects the current approach of treating COVID-19 similarly to the flu, with preventive measures such as an annual vaccination.

COVID-19 Vaccine: What You Need to Know

^Thank you. I haven't heard anyone talk about Covid "boosters" lately. Most people refer to current Covid injections as updated vaccines. It's my understanding that the vaccine will change year-to-year based on the latest variants of the virus, much like the annual flu shot.

^Thank you. I haven't heard anyone talk about Covid "boosters" lately. Most people refer to current Covid injections as updated vaccine.

I will blame my poor word choice on long Covid brain fog. :) There are many days when my brain's "word-selection" function goes offline, and I end up using the wrong word or calling everything "you know, that thing."

^Thank you. I haven't heard anyone talk about Covid "boosters" lately. Most people refer to current Covid injections as updated vaccines. It's my understanding that the vaccine will change year-to-year based on the latest variants of the virus, much like the annual flu shot.
I think it may be habit for some, understandably. :) As for annual updated shots... I'd prefer an updated version more often that once a year with as much mutating as it's doing. I'd be happy with an updated vaccine every 6 mo. With as quickly as it's mutating, once a year isn't often enough IMO. :(

Speaking of mutating... this is the most recent data from my city's wastewater. They are always behind a bit with the actual variants, hence a July date. And it's not like I live in a city the size of NYC... Mine has a population of ~35K-40K and look what all's circulating. :(

1725470523254.png

I will blame my poor word choice on long Covid brain fog. :) There are many days when my brain's "word-selection" function goes offline, and I end up using the wrong word or calling everything "you know, that thing."
I have a similar issue. I lose words completely. And thought I’d finally gotten past it - occurs less frequently now. But just had it happen the other night. Relish. “Ya know not a jar of pickles, that other stuff”.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fake_facer_addict
Back