Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

[BCOVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***[/B]

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?

POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?

POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?

POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

COVID-19 Coronavirus Memorial Thread
______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25

ADMIN WARNING:

This thread is fast moving and labour intensive and we have other active threads that need attention.

Politicizing is NOT allowed. If your post is found to contain political statements or politics in general, it will be removed and a thread ban will be issued which means you will not be able to post in this thread, only read.

Critique your own post before submitting it to the thread to make sure it does not have a political bent; otherwise you may find you lose posting privileges.

Post accordingly.

Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOUR FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

OK, I AM YELLING AGAIN AND I AM GETTING ANGRY.

IF YOU FEEL THIS IS A HOAX - IF YOU FEEL THIS IS ALL "FAKE NEWS" THEN DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD. STAY OFF THIS THREAD. THIS THREAD IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING THE VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND WANT TO POST ABOUT FACTS AND ABOUT SOLUTIONS. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR OPINION BUT YOUR OPINION WILL CAUSE THIS THREAD DO GO UP IN FLAMES AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE CAN COME HERE AND GET FACTS. WE NEED TO TAKE THIS VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND THAT IS WHY THIS THREAD IS ON WEBSLEUTHS. PLEASE GO TO ANOTHER DISCUSSION IN THE MISSING OR IN COLD CASES AND DO SOME GOOD.

Not yelling now. We should not get hysterical about the virus but we need to discuss this virus seriously. A big difference between the two. In the same vein, we should not shrug our shoulders and say it's no big deal and it is a media hysteria.

While I respect you have the right to your opinion I have the right to ask you to leave this thread so we can discuss the virus without disruption.

Rarely do I pull this statement out but here it comes; I am the owner and the final decisions on what can be discussed and rules are all on me. I want to be as inclusive as possible but in a real National Emergency declared by the president, I have a responsibility to make sure we discuss the facts and we discuss virus in a logical and factual way.

Thank you.
Tricia.
PS. I am not getting hysterical about the virus I am getting angry at the thought of how fast this thread could literally shut the whole forum down, Our wonderful mods do not need the stress.

Fl Gov. DeSantis just wrapped up a press conference. Main takeaway is that he has
refused to shut down restaurants, bars, spring
break gatherers, etc. Says it's up to local jurisdictions to handle it. Left it open that
they will be meeting tomorrow to discuss.
------
very disappointing.

GettyImages-1207269946.jpg

The 110 Freeeway is seen in downtown Los Angeles, California on March 15, 2020. – Bars, restaurants and nightclubs in Los Angeles were ordered to close from midnight on Sunday until March 31 as US cities take drastic action to halt the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

“Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti imposed even stricter requirements. Restaurants may only offer pickup, delivery and drive-through service. He also closed gyms, movie theaters, bowling alleys and arcades.”

[...]

"We need to take these steps to protect our city right now," he said.”

California Begins a New Chapter in the COVID-19 Fight
Sweeping changes were evident Monday, when students across the state stayed home from school
By Associated Press • Published 5 hours ago • Updated 1 hour ago

OMG. That's severe. The outdoor air is not contaminated, dogs need to be taken out. I suppose it's hard to control an urban population without strict rules - but who will enforce it? What about the wandering homeless people?
Well, the wandering homeless people are not in contact (usually) with masses of people like the recent back-up at our airports.

I had an appointment with my cardiologist for tomorrow to discuss continued chest pain I've had since I had fluid around my heart and was hospitalized a month ago. They called and said they are rescheduling all appointments for anyone 60 or older to 60-90 days out. So I guess if you don't get the virus you'll die from something else if you're 60 or older. Or I could go to an already overwhelmed ER in the next 90 days if I have chest pain indicative of a heart attack.

GettyImages-1207269946.jpg

The 110 Freeeway is seen in downtown Los Angeles, California on March 15, 2020. – Bars, restaurants and nightclubs in Los Angeles were ordered to close from midnight on Sunday until March 31 as US cities take drastic action to halt the spread of the deadly coronavirus.

“Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti imposed even stricter requirements. Restaurants may only offer pickup, delivery and drive-through service. He also closed gyms, movie theaters, bowling alleys and arcades.”

[...]

"We need to take these steps to protect our city right now," he said.”

California Begins a New Chapter in the COVID-19 Fight
Sweeping changes were evident Monday, when students across the state stayed home from school
By Associated Press • Published 5 hours ago • Updated 1 hour ago
Oh WOW. Usually freeways in CA are hopping. Creepy.

West End shuts down after PM's coronavirus advice

Theatres in London's West End and around the UK have shut after PM Boris Johnson advised people to avoid such venues as coronavirus spreads.

"You should avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues," he said.

However, he stopped short of forcing venues to close, leaving some in the affected industries in limbo.

The Society of London Theatre, which represents the West End, said theatres would close from Monday night until further notice.

Sister organisation UK Theatre said its 165 venues around the country would take the same step.

Google launches Verily site for coronavirus tests, sparking health privacy concerns

Google launches new Verily site - controversy ensues

Quotes from article:

Google is throwing everything it has at the coronavirus response, including launching a new website to direct people to appropriate medical services and up-to-date information on the pandemic—but some people are concerned about being forced to share personal data to access the program. Google’s terms of service for the special health project, however, promise that no data will be shared with insurance companies or applied to advertising.

Over the weekend, Google CEO Sundar Pichai outlined where the company stood in its efforts to create a rapid-response website for people looking to get tested for coronavirus, or COVID-19. “In this unprecedented moment, we feel a great responsibility to help,” Pichai said in a blog post, detailing Google’s work. “We’ll keep doing everything we can to deliver on our mission, and help people take care of themselves and their communities.”

Last week, President Donald Trump touted Google’s participation in the pandemic response. By Monday, the site it developed through Verily Life Sciences, a subsidiary of Alphabet, which is Google’s parent company, began operating for people in parts of California.

Related articles
Coronavirus Industry Event Tracker
Ad Age Staff
A regularly updated list tracking marketers' response to coronavirus
Ad Age Staff
Safari, Firefox score major win under new CCPA changes
George P. Slefo
Trump requests meeting with broadcasters and Ad Council to discuss COVID-19
Jeanine Poggi
Critics have questioned the data collection policies of the Verily site, including the need to use a Google account to sign into the program. Data privacy advocates like Ana Milicevic, principal and co-founder of Sparrow Advisors, a digital consulting firm, said the coronavirus site could collect sensitive personal information that could later be used in ways participants never intended.

“The nature of digital data is such that it lingers forever,” Milicevic says during a phone interview on Monday. “Once this crisis is inevitably over, that data survives someplace.”

The fear is that people who sign up through Verily will hand over private medical data that could then be attached to their Google accounts. Verily’s terms of service do say that none of the data will be used for advertising purposes. Other terms of the service promise to “not share any information with your insurance or medical providers without your consent.”

Google was not immediately available to comment on its consumer privacy protections.

Other privacy watchdogs have called Verily a data-mining program couched as a public service. It’s a sign of the times that Google would face such suspicions as the general public becomes more aware of how data is collected and as new laws are being written to control how that data can be used. In 2018, the EU enacted the General Data Protection Regulation, which enforced more transparency around how data is collected and used. The U.S. is following suit with new protections popping up like the California Consumer Privacy Act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli