448 Cases not related to repatriation flights
• 82 Travel Associated
• 75 Person-to-person
98 Community Acquired
• 193 Under Investigation
11 deaths (10 CA residents, 1 non-CA resident) CA Public Health on Twitter

CA Public Health on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

All #US journalists working for New York Times, Wall St Journal and the Washington Post (who’s credentials expire this year) to be expelled from #China. They have 10 days to leave. #Beijing has just announced.

Stephen McDonell on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

WOAH!!!!!

They’re getting Chen Q with it!!

Dang....

Where is poor Chen Q and Fang Bin (and the new MP mentioned yesterday)?

@Tadpole12

I'm totally going to do this and hope others give it a go too.

Not only is it good for one's mind. These are interesting times. In the future, researchers and historians are going to be interested in the daily lives of people living through this. Your family may also appreciate a record of your experiences. I wish I had more stories from the Spanish Flu survivors in our family tree.
If I could ever get away from writing here, and on FB. :)

Seriously though, I think we are leaving an archive here on WS. JMO

Sad situation for front line workers - Whole Foods - I hope Amazon gets them support pronto:

Whole Foods Workers 'Are Crying and Having Panic Attacks'

Quotes from articles:
The scene at Whole Foods Markets from Silicon Valley to Texas to Chicago has been one of utter chaos in recent days, employees say. Beginning in the wee hours of the morning, customers have queued up outside stores; most people are spending hundreds of dollars. By midday, at many stores, essentials and staples like toilet paper, bread, and pasta have been depleted.

Whole Foods employees, still working in many cities that have otherwise shut down, say if they are sick and have run out of paid time off, they have no choice but to go to work. Others are calling out because they are worried about contracting the virus.

“I’ve worked the last six days in a row. Today is the first day I’ve called off because I was scared to go there,” a barista at a Whole Foods in Chicago who wished to remain anonymous because they feared retaliation told Motherboard on Monday. “There are record sales. People are saying they’re never seen anything like this. It can only be described as post-apocalyptic. Our shelves are empty. Literally everything is gone except for cheese. Workers are crying and having panic attacks.”

The mayhem at Whole Foods coincides with an announcement on Monday to increase hourly workers' wages by $2 an hour through the end of April, and the closure of hot, salad, soup, and olive bars. Whole Foods has also pledged to provide its hourly employees with unlimited unpaid sick days through the end of March and to pay workers for two weeks of sick leave if they test positive for Covid-19.

“As a grocer, we believe our role serving customers and the community during this time is a critical one," a spokesperson for Whole Foods told Motherboard. "The health and wellbeing of our Team Members remains a top priority and we’ve implemented numerous measures to support them during this time of uncertainty, including stringent sanitation measures to ensure a safe work environment, unlimited call-outs, and access to 2-weeks paid time off that was announced for all Amazon employees.”

But workers, who are on the frontlines of a pandemic, say that this does not go far enough. Their company is a subsidiary of one of the world’s largest companies, which is owned by the world’s richest person who are at the frontlines of a pandemic. (Last week, Whole Foods sent an email to employees suggesting they could donate accumulated paid time off to their sick coworkers.)

“Workers stay when they’re sick instead of going home, because nothing has been offered to [sick workers]. They have no other option,” a worker at the Whole Foods in West Hollywood, Los Angeles told Motherboard. “People should not have to work sick.”

Workers say that Whole Foods has provided gloves and hand sanitizer to workers but has told them not to wear face masks. Two different Whole Foods workers reached out to Motherboard to say they were chastised by their managers for wearing masks at work. Other workers say the stress of the situation has brought teams together, with workers supporting each other during this difficult situation.

“Our workload has greatly increased,” a produce buyer at a Whole Foods Market in Texas told Motherboard. “As grocery store workers, we’re some of the only ones who have to go out and work in a dangerous environment while everyone is told not to work or work from home. … They keep telling us how appreciated we are. We want to be shown how appreciated we are. We want to double time hazard pay. We should get paid time off whether we get sick or not to avoid getting paid or not.”

The produce buyer told Motherboard that since last Wednesday, his store has run out of staples like broccoli, onions, and potatoes by midday. Normally, he orders produce every day for the following day, but this practice was suspended last week and his warehouse has begun sending whatever they have in stock.

NEW YORK

The coronavirus hospitalization rate is 15-19% in New York State: Gov. Andrew Cuomo. This is a really high proportion, which is why everyone is so worried about the hospital bed & ventilator availability. Cuomo also said the NYS peak is expected to be in 45 days. @bloombergradio
Lisa Abramowicz on Twitter

Lisa Abramowicz on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Anyone who are/have tried journaling? It's not diary-writing, but a way to write down your feelings and thoughts on a paper, and to help you handle things. Maybe now is a good time to try it? 6 Unexpected Ways Journaling Every Day Will Make Your Life Better
Me! I was thinking about this just this morning. I’ve journaled on and off for years. It got me through one of the roughest times of my life a few years back.
I’d like to add a suggestion to journaling - add a list of three things you are grateful for each day. They can be as big or as small as you like. A good cup of coffee, a cat jumping into the lap, noticing a pretty flower or butterfly on my walk...things like that. I’ve said in several posts how important it is to me to recognise fleeting moments of happiness and to enjoy them. My gratitude list really helped.

Government response updates: Trump proposes sending relief checks directly to Americans
If we do this right," he says, "our country will be rolling again."

“President Donald Trump on Tuesday predicted "we're going to win" the fight against the coronavirus as he briefed the nation one day after recommending new, stricter nationwide guidelines that prompted much of America to shut down in an effort to slow the spread of the disease.

“If we do this right our country -- and the world frankly -- but our country but can be rolling again pretty quickly, pretty quickly. We have to fight that invisible enemy that I guess is unknown but we’re getting to know it a lot better, he said.

"At my direction, [Treasury] Secretary Mnuchin is meeting today with senators on additional stimulus packages,” Trump said, adding that they are looking at loans for small businesses and flexibility for fast food workers.

Mnuchin announced that the administration is looking at sending checks directly to American households that are hurting – possibly within the next two weeks.

We are looking at sending checks to Americans immediately. What we heard from hardworking Americans, many companies are now shut down whether bars or restaurants, Americans need cash now and the president wants to get them cash now. I mean now in the next two weeks,” Mncuhin said. "We want to make sure Americans get money in their pockets quickly," he said, adding that more details would be revealed later today.

“I think we'll do something to get money to them as quickly as possible,” President Trump said.

Asked for a timeline for how quickly this could come together, Mnuchin said, “The president has instructed me, we have to do this now. This is now.”“

Government response updates: Trump proposes sending relief checks directly to Americans

Me too. Btw the mcstay family are friends of mine. Wonderful family.

Oh yes. A hearty THANK YOU to all you who weeks ago were making recommendations about putting in supplies.

Thanks to you I have adequate supplies of paper goods, canned goods, soups, spices, juices, drinks, personal protective equpiment, cat litter and food. Got rx's renewed early. Got a stock of OTC medications and cold relievers. Missed out on the hand sanitizer, but I wash hands like a fiend.

Yes, I joined WS because of the McStay disappearances.... then the discovery of the bodies....... the arrest...... the trial.

I was impressed then and I'm impressed now about the quality of people that post here!

My opinion of the "Whole Foods" employees, is that right now, unless your employer lets you work from home, or you are laid off, go to work, like the rest of us. I am at work, interacting with people, just like they are.

But, a follow up, is that right now, people are hyped up. I mean, escalation is on the tip of any interaction. I recognized this today, in several interactions, that are normal "business", today, turned into some major *advertiser censored* storms. People are on edge.

Geez, our grand daughter wanted to write up which relatives she wants to live with in case her parents die. That is some major weird conversation for dinner.

Once again, the President, Vice President, and other members of the COVID-19 Task Force are standing close together in a very tight space. Why? We are advised to observe social distancing; they should set a better example.

Just my opinion, these folks so busy working on CONVID 19, O doubly they have direct contact with anyone other than family and the small group in that room. I feel sure, all are taking their temperatures of having checked daily.

I've worked in a crisis/regional emergency situation before. All I did was work, meet trying to find solutions, find/neg for needed items, eat the food provided and fall into a hotel bed and try sleep for a few hours. They may all look great standing on stage, but I am sure they are doing little other than working on solutions, connecting with other professionals, analyzing data and research.

I'm feeling better about the TASK force after today. They spoke more freely, gave more details of who they are talking to/networking with. More of the plan of action unfolded today. I'm referring to the response of medical needs, logistics and boots on the ground.

The TASK force is giving good recommendations for states to follow. I have to keep in mind, the feds are our support team for the states. It is up to states to make decisions to close schools, restaurants, lock down communities. Some states are very aggressive in containment, NC is an excellent example. I've worked with NC EMS and disaster response on many hurricane we over 40 years, those folks have got the whole package, they can do it in their sleep, blind folded. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to learn from the best of the best. It really helps when the Governor gives you EVERYTHING you need or ask for.

FYI, I live in Virginia ....
Moo....

If I could ever get away from writing here, and on FB. :)

Seriously though, I think we are leaving an archive here on WS. JMO

I know, right? I took a break from cleaning and jotted down a few paragraphs but here I am tapping away again. :rolleyes:

It is so nice to have a little community here. I haven't had a Facebook account in years, but I'm keeping my eyes on a very large "mutual aid" group that's formed in our community. It's touching to see people pull together.

It's great to have these digital records but having a physical document in your own control is very helpful. Plus, I think there's just something therapeutic about putting pen to paper. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14