Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was supposed to spring break in Destin. Cancelled. I also follow local Facebook pages and can tell you it is infuriating how money hungry and greedy these rental companies, and some rental owners are. Blatantly telling people to come on down, salt air and sunshine are good! Live your life! Etc! No talk of refunds. Many renters are out thousands if they decide to cancel. I’m taking note and deciding who I will do business with again in the future. My prediction- Okaloosa, Walton and Santa Rosa counties will become a hotspot before long. Unfortunately, the towns are so small the visitors will spread throughout the US but mainly the SE.

ETA: also hearing friends who work in restaurants are supposed to be tested yet no one- primary, er, doctor can tell them how or where to get tested!
This area is my home town and where my parents still live. It is also home to Eglin Air Force base is as well as Hurlburt Field. Spring break seems to be their only priority right now at the expense of everyone's health and safety.

Looking for thoughts about where and how to self-isolate. My son is returning from international travel and is required to self-isolate for 2 weeks. I wish that a hotel would advertise that they have reserved, for example, two floors for people who need to self isolate. Has anyone found a solution for this when self-isolating at home is not a good option?

Airbnb?

YESTERDAY HE RAN FROM IT....GLAD HE GOT SOME COURAGE...MUST HAVE SEEN THE WIZARD...lol

#BREAKING: @GovRonDeSantis orders ALL Florida bars and nightclubs will be CLOSED for 30 days starting today at 5PM - all to stop the spread of #COVID19 #Coronavirus @10NewsWTSP

Ryan Bass on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES
YESTERDAY HE RAN FROM IT....GLAD HE GOT SOME COURAGE...MUST HAVE SEEN THE WIZARD...lol

#BREAKING: @GovRonDeSantis orders ALL Florida bars and nightclubs will be CLOSED for 30 days starting today at 5PM - all to stop the spread of #COVID19 #Coronavirus @10NewsWTSP

Ryan Bass on Twitter

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES
I can hear them wailing and crying in Key West right now............moo

When will large manufacturing plants be forced to close?

Depends on which ones and where.

Imo it’s all about supply and demand right now and adapting, being creative, being smart to stay alive in the economy.

Certain industries will take a huge hit.

But if you’re like 3M you’re hiring employees and producing what needs to be produced right now.

This is an infinite question and only time will tell, moo.

If it’s anything like Wuhan, expect mass closures. Jmo.

But of course China and factories is a whole nother ballgame.

We have had a strong and unnecessary dependence on them JMO.

If we are smart we will manufacture in USA more, if these fluid conditions lend themselves to such.

The huge problem we saw with
Chinese factories is the close spaces.

(Short response)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who are/have tried journaling? It's not diary-writing, but a way to write down your feelings and thoughts on a paper, and to help you handle things. Maybe now is a good time to try it? 6 Unexpected Ways Journaling Every Day Will Make Your Life Better
I've tried journaling in the past and it never lasted, but I was thinking the other day that now might be a good time to try again. I think it would be something interesting to pass down in the family and maybe my great-great-grandchild will use my journal as part of a history project one day. :)

When possible, wear disposable gloves...

Covid-19: How long does the coronavirus last on surfaces?
[...]

In the areas worst hit by the new coronavirus, teams of workers in protective clothing have been dispatched to spray a fog of disinfectant in plazas, parks and public streets. Cleaning regimes in offices, hospitals, shops and restaurants have been increased. In some cities, well-meaning volunteers even venture out at night to scrub the keypads of cash machines.

Like many respiratory viruses, including flu, Covid-19 can be spread in tiny droplets released from the nose and mouth of an infected person as they cough. A single cough can produce up to 3,000 droplets. These particles can land on other people, clothing and surfaces around them, but some of the smaller particles can remain in the air. There is also some evidence that the virus is also shed for longer in faecal matter, so anyone not washing their hands thoroughly after visiting the toilet could contaminate anything they touch.

[...]

Some studies on other coronaviruses, including Sars and Mers, found they can survive on metal, glass and plastic for as long as nine days, unless they are properly disinfected. Some can even hang around for up to 28 days in low temperatures.

Coronaviruses are well known to be particularly resilient in terms of where they can survive. And researchers are now beginning to understand more about how this affects the spread of the new coronavirus. (Read more about the global fight against Covid-19.)

[...]

... the virus could survive in droplets for up to three hours after being coughed out into the air. Fine droplets between 1-5 micrometres in size – about 30 times small than the width of a human hair – can remain airborne for several hours in still air.

It means that the virus circulating in unfiltered air conditioning systems will only persist for a couple of hours at the most, especially as aerosol droplets tend to settle on surfaces faster in disturbed air.

But the NIH study found that the SARS-CoV-2 virus survives for longer on cardboard – up to 24 hours – and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless-steel surfaces.

[...]

... research has shown that coronaviruses can be inactivated within a minute by disinfecting surfaces with 62-71% alcohol, or 0.5% hydrogen peroxide bleach or household bleach containing 0.1% sodium hypochlorite. Higher temperatures and humidity also tend to result in other coronaviruses dying quicker, although research has shown that a related coronavirus that causes Sars could be killed by temperatures above 56°C or 132°F (hotter than even a bath scalding enough to cause injury) at a rate of about 10,000 viral particles every 15 minutes.

[...]

On clothing and other surfaces harder to disinfect, it is not yet clear how long the virus can survive. Although they are still do test it on clothing, the absorbent natural fibres may cause the virus to dry up quickly, suggests Vincent Munster, head of the virus ecology section at Rocky Mountain Laboratories and one of those who led the NIH study.

[...]

I want to focus on something positive for a moment - two things that happened to my Dad as he went out today to get his essentials before the quarantine starts.
He gets to the nearest town by catching a ferry, then jumping on a bus. Today, standing on the ferry and waiting to disembark, he was approached by a lady who offered him a lift - a complete stranger to him. She was able to drop him right outside the shop, saving him a long walk. Then, as he left the store ( he found TP, a miracle) another woman, again a total stranger - offered him a lift home. I find it truly heartening that the community is pulling together and offering help.
Wherever you are, ladies, sending a big thank you out into the universe.

You may want to see if your healthcare provider/system has a telemedicine program. The program I used is a hospital sponsored program. It was a FaceTime type visit. The np ordered a script. The visit was $45.00.
My county here in WA set up a similar program. The usual fee is $35 but currently they're waiving it.

Personally IMO it's a great alternative to sitting in a doctor's office. Once the pandemic is over we may see more programs like this since people will have gotten a bit more familiar and relaxed with consulting with a doctor via cell or pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocky.marie