Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest pet peeve right now is that there is no hand sanitizer. It's been six weeks! I know they have to address the medical shortages first but six weeks?! I can't even find the 99% alcohol, but I did get lucky and find aloe vera gel.

I found a small bottle underneath my kitchen sink (I was actually looking for soap) and I felt like I had won the lottery!

Best to stay busy, imo. The news is continually updating so we don’t have to be tied to our fave news source.
Organization is a good thing! Moo

I’m having withdrawal from TJMaxx. It was a weekly “happy place” of mine.
Since I’ve been staying home so much I have...
Made a living will
Painted a piece of furniture that was on my project list.
Purged and organized my kitchen.
But darn it, when the weather gets warmer I WILL be buying flowers to plant, even if I have to wear a hazmat suit.

UK supermarket chain Sainsbury’s has just emailed its customers announcing rations. The company wrote in an email seen by the Guardian:

“From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.”

Coronavirus live news: outbreak reaches every US state as Australia says isolation could last six months

I wonder what will happen when they try to come out of lockdown. I wonder what the plan is.

And if are they testing outside of the Wuhan area.
The possibility of a flare up later has been much discussed in the media. IMO, that's why Hubei province is still on partial lockdown. They will unlock and then watch for re-occurance...

NEW YORK

WATCH: NY Gov. Cuomo: “I am telling you, this [state] government cannot meet this crisis without the resources and capacity of the federal government … We need their help, especially on the hospital capacity issue. We need FEMA.” NBC News on Twitter

WATCH: Gov. Cuomo: "It is a frightening time on every level" but "we will get through this much time. Understand what we're dealing with, understand the pressures that we're feeling -- but we will get through this much time." NBC News on Twitter

FEMA sucks....ask anyone that has been through a hurricane. Red Cross and National Guard are far better

I hope the US resorts to this. I know some households are large & need more,so that’s a prob, too.
UK supermarket chain Sainsbury’s has just emailed its customers announcing rations. The company wrote in an email seen by the Guardian:

“From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.”

Coronavirus live news: outbreak reaches every US state as Australia says isolation could last six months

SOUTH CAROLINA

South Carolina’s biggest cluster of coronavirus cases would have gone undetected under early federal testing guidelines if doctors had not insisted their patient be tested anyway.

The doctors’ demands yielded a startling result: The new coronavirus had reached Camden, a town of about 7,000 in the center of the state. It had infected people who hadn’t been traveling, at a moment when authorities were limiting the U.S.’s scarce tests to sick patients who’d been to areas where the virus was prevalent.

It had spread in South Carolina without detection.

The experience in Camden highlights the importance of testing for the coronavirus and COVID-19, the disease it causes. And it shows how early shortfalls in testing let it travel here unabated.
SC’s first coronavirus cluster highlights the importance of tests, but they’re hard to get
I'm sure several 1000's have. Moo

Made a living will
But darn it, when the weather gets warmer I WILL be buying flowers to plant, even if I have to wear a hazmat suit.
Since I have been staying home, 2 days, I have: eaten half a box of cheezits, 1.5 boxes of fudge dipped oreos, logged onto WS 10+times a day, read too much twitter and done 1 load of laundry. Not using my time wisely.

Serious question.

Does anybody believe that immediate and decisive action in January would prevent the path of COVID-19 through the United States?

If yes, then please back up how that could happen over the course of a year until a vaccine is brought to use.

Conditions are:

The world is going to be pretty much 100% affected. Very few countries are equipped to shut down for many months at a time. Probably no countries.
The US is connected internationally in many ways.
There is no vaccine.
There is no evidence to say that summer will dampen the spread of the virus.
Up to 50% of cases are asymptomatic.

I'm not thinking that it was possible to contain. South Korea is a "success" story, which IMO will fall apart once or if the lockdown is lifted.

We are in an unusual place, and I haven't seen it in my 57 years. Viruses happen. Sometimes life is harsh and unfair. This seems like one of those times. And I don't really see a good path forward as no option is very good. People will die. However, it is incredibly positive that this virus does not seem to attack children.

It's life and life isn't always perfect. We're in tough times. I'm just staying positive, and it is a great opportunity to spend time with those close to me. I hope others stay positive as well.

Last edited:
Why doctors prefer soap and water
Although many homes and businesses keep large pump bottles of hand sanitizers readily available, it's best to think of hand sanitizer as a portable alternative when a sink and soap aren't accessible. Why? "Viruses are most effectively killed and removed from hands with soap and water," says Nanda.

"The consensus between the CDC and medical professionals alike is that the gold standard for maintaining hand hygiene is proper and consistent washing of the hands," Sonpal tells Allure. That's because soap and water are simply more thorough.
There's a Right Way to Use Hand Sanitizer
Idk why so many are concerned about the lack of hand sanitizer if we are to stay home. I don’t mean people on this thread, but the world at large.

People with Type A blood are MORE likely to catch coronavirus than those with Type O, study claims

The study in Wuhan - the epicentre of the disease - also found those with Type A blood are more likely to die from COVID-19.

In the general population Type O blood (34%) is more common than A (32%). However, among COVID-19 patients, people with Type O accounted for just 25%, whereas Type A made up 41%.

People with Type O blood made up a quarter (25 per cent) of deaths in the research. Normally, Type O people make up 32 per cent of people in Wuhan.

People with Type A blood are MORE likely to catch coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

It's crazy. The lack of planning (especially in a first world nation like the US) is mind-boggling. Medical professionals have been underfunded and discouraged from research. Even now, there are no direct sources of funding to allow localities to develop and use their own testing.

I'm so sorry to hear you're in a high risk group. I'm sure you're doing all the right things, but it's still really scary. Is your primary care doctor still seeing patients? If you do get symptoms, going to the ER at a major hospital would be what I would advise. If you live near one.
I'm being ultra cautious. Self isolating, doing all the things being recommended. My cardiologist's office tried to push out an office visit 90 days because of my age group. I protested because this was a very needed appointment and they agreed to see me. There were no other patients there. Everything is changing so quickly and leading to mass confusion. I hope Medicare will cover Telehealth, it remains to be seen. I have ER very close.

Made a living will

My friend has pulled her Christmas tree back out and is having a repeat of Christmas! She lives alone.

I also won't be able to see my grands until this is over. They are 13 months (boy) and 16 months (girl)
Sad Ya-Ya here!
Moo
Lol

Let's think about what he will want from FEMA. I can imagine temp shelters for quarantine, as well as supplies and management of those areas. There are currently 100 shelters in NYC. These folks will need to quarantine somewhere.

I hope they have found someone else to provide the trailers. The folks in NY and LA said the last ones were full of black mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot