Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t posted on this thread before, and I’m not entirely sure what everyone’s feelings are about this.

Despite the Chinese misinformation, the silencing of doctors, and the burying of actual data, I’m pretty impressed by the world’s response to this.

I think anyone who knows anything about how China operates was well aware that this was likely to be far worse than initially reported. I don’t think anyone expected anything to this extent though.

The world was behind the 8 ball, and it responded in a big way.

Sports don’t get shut down, restaurants don’t get shut down, schools don’t get shut down, and life as we know it doesn’t stop like this. This is completely unprecedented, regardless of your age.

It’s not easy to make a decision that effectively upends the global economy.

The coming weeks and months will be telling, as we’ll have a deeper understanding of the trajectory here.

What’s frustrating is that if the Chinese government had just told the truth, this could have been nipped in the bud. What’s encouraging though, is that we’re seeing bold action all over the world.

Last edited:
Situation report - 58
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
18 March 2020

Situation report - 57
17 March 2020

Situation report - 56
16 March 2020

Situation report - 55
15 March 2020

Situation report - 54
14 March 2020

Situation report - 53
13 March 2020

Situation report - 52
12 March 2020

Situation report - 51
11 March 2020

Situation report - 50
10 March 2020

Situation report - 49
09 March 2020

Situation report - 48
08 March 2020

Situation report - 47
07 March 2020

Situation report - 46
06 March 2020

Situation report - 45
05 March 2020

Situation report - 44
04 March 2020

Situation report - 43
03 March 2020

Situation report - 42
02 March 2020

Situation report - 41
01 March 2020

Situation report - 40
29 February 2020

Situation report - 39
28 February 2020

Situation report - 38
27 February 2020

Situation report - 37
26 February 2020

Situation report - 36
25 February 2020

Situation report - 35
24 February 2020

Situation report - 34
23 February 2020

Situation report - 33
22 February 2020

Situation report - 32
21 February 2020

Situation report - 31
20 February 2020

Situation report - 30
19 February 2020

Situation report - 29
18 February 2020

Situation report - 28
17 February 2020

Situation report - 27
16 February 2020

Situation report - 26
15 February 2020

Situation report - 25
14 February 2020

Situation report - 24
13 February 2020

Situation report - 23
12 February 2020

Situation report - 22
Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
11 February 2020

Situation report - 21
10 February 2020

Situation report - 20
9 February 2020

Situation report - 19
8 February 2020

Situation report - 18
7 February 2020

Situation report - 17
6 February 2020
Situation report - 16 - Erratum
5 February 2020

Situation report - 15
4 February 2020

Situation report - 14 - Erratum
3 February 2020

Situation report - 13
2 February 2020

Situation report - 12
1 February 2020

Situation report - 11
31 January 2020

Situation report - 10
30 January 2020

Situation report - 9
29 January 2020

Situation report - 8
28 January 2020

Situation report - 7
27 January 2020

Situation report - 6
26 January 2020

Situation report - 5
25 January 2020

Situation report - 4
24 January 2020

Situation report - 3
23 January 2020

Situation report - 2
22 January 2020

Situation report - 1
21 January 2020

Canada, Quebec

COVID-19: Construction unions ask that work be suspended

"recommend hygiene measures "are not encountered on construction sites," which makes workers vulnerable."
"workers in the industry have lamented the lack of soap and water
to wash their hands, as well as the lack of toilets with running water, especially in smaller construction sites"

"unable to respect the advised distance of one meter between workers"

"they must share their tools in some instances"

AMEN!! I am terrified for my son who is Union in U.S. and he has asthma.

CDC:
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

“Updated March 18, 2020

This page will be updated regularly at noon Mondays through Fridays. Numbers close out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting.

CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus. The outbreak first started in Wuhan, China, but cases have been identified in a growing number of other locations internationally, including the United States. In addition to CDC, many public health laboratories are now testing for the virus that causes COVID-19.

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*
  • Total cases: 7,038
  • Total deaths: 97
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)
* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

Cases of COVID-19 Reported in the US, by Source of Exposure*†
Cases of COVID-19 Reported in the US, by Source of Exposure
Travel-related 269
Close contact 276
Under investigation 6,493
Total cases 7,038
* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

† CDC is no longer reporting the number of persons under investigation (PUIs) that have been tested, as well as PUIs that have tested negative. Now that states are testing and reporting their own results, CDC’s numbers are not representative of all testing being done nationwide.

* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.”

I can't be sure, but it seems like just yesterday that the global numbers were slowly climbing to 200,00. It's almost like global numbers jumped 20,000 today.

Know that this is phase one, just like 1918. The 1918 pandemic killed, or mostly effected primarily, people between 20 and 30. Sure only old people die, but that's only because health systems are so overwhelmed that people over 60 are no provided care.

The second wave, per 1918, was older people. Alberta, Canada is warning that the virus transmission will be relieved in the Summer, but without a vaccine (which requires 18 months) it will have a second phase in the Fall.

Anyone looking to wait for a vaccine should make arrangements to stay in for 18 months.

Media Statement
For Immediate Release: Monday, March 16, 2020
(404) 639-3286

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today confirmed the first case of 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) in a CDC employee. Laboratory testing done at CDC confirmed this diagnosis. This individual is in good condition and is isolated to prevent spread of infection to others. Our best wishes go to the employee for a rapid and full recovery.

This individual was not involved in the COVID-19 response, has not been present in the CDC workplace since March 6, and was asymptomatic at that time. Staff working in the same unit are teleworking while we will do a deep cleaning of the office space.

After developing symptoms, the individual took the appropriate action and stayed home. CDC will handle each case with the utmost respect to privacy, while also informing potentially affected staff and taking swift measures to mitigate spread of the virus. Please understand that out of respect for individual privacy, there are details about this case (or others moving forward) that we will not be able to share.

CDC is considering and taking all necessary actions to further protect the health and safety of our workforce. CDC has been taking proactive steps to reduce the risk of infection among its workforce. These steps have included encouraging sick employees to stay home, increasing the frequency of cleaning CDC facilities, canceling large meetings and staff travel, increasing the use of teleworking among staff, and encouraging social distancing and other preventive measures.

The health and safety of the CDC workforce is a top priority for the agency. CDC will continue to assess and improve ways to protect staff from COVID-19 and other health risks. For more information about COVID-19, see http://www.cdc.gov/COVID2019

###
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICESexternal icon

CDC works 24/7 protecting America’s health, safety and security. Whether disease start at home or abroad, are curable or preventable, chronic or acute, or from human activity or deliberate attack, CDC responds to America’s most pressing health threats. CDC is headquartered in Atlanta and has experts located throughout the United States and the world.

I haven’t posted on this thread before, and I’m not entirely sure what everyone’s feelings are about this.

Despite the Chinese misinformation, the silencing of doctors, and the burying of actual data, I’m pretty impressed by the world’s response to this.

I think anyone who knows anything about how China operates was well aware that this was likely to be far worse than initially reported. I don’t think anyone expected anything to this extent though.

The world was behind the 8 ball, and it responded in a big way.

Sports don’t get shut down, restaurants don’t get shut down, schools don’t get shut down, and life as we know it doesn’t stop like this. This is completely unprecedented, regardless of your age.

The coming weeks and months will be telling, as we’ll have a deeper understanding of the trajectory here.

What’s frustrating is that if people just told the truth, this could have been nipped in the bud. What’s encouraging though, is that we’re seeing bold action all over the world.
x2, thank you. Agreed.

Coronavirus Updates: New York City has 1,871 cases of coronavirus, with 11 deaths

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 8:54PM

“NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- New York City now 1,871 cases of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, with 11 deaths, Mayor Bill de Blasio said in an interview with NY1 on Wednesday.

He also clarified his stance on sheltering in place after telling New Yorkers Tuesday that they should be prepared to do so in order to stem the spread of the virus.

"When I say shelter in place, there's an understanding of that that means I'm referring to the model that is already happening in this country on the West Coast in the San Francisco area," he said. "It's quite a clear model, where people are directed to stay home, but there is also clear exceptions that have been made for essential services."

Earlier, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that businesses in the state can have no more than 50 percent of their workforce on site, essential services excluded, as the death toll hit 20 and the number of cases soared to 2,382.“

[...]

“LATEST CORONAVIRUS NEW YORK CITY LIVE UPDATES AND NEWS

MARCH 18, 2020

New York COVID-19 case believed to be contagious while at JFK Airport, health officials say

An individual from Monroe County who tested positive for COVID-19 was believed to be contagious while at John F. Kennedy International Airport, health officials say.”
-more information at link

Coronavirus Updates: New York City has 1,871 cases of coronavirus, with 11 deaths

Coronavirus In Colorado: San Miguel County Ordered To Shelter-In-Place
March 18, 2020 at 6:13 pm

“SAN MIGUEL COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) –The San Miguel County issued a shelter-in-place for residents effective Wednesday through at least April 3. The county is also now partnering with United Biomedical to test the county for coronavirus.”

BBM:

“The county says they have several critically ill residents who need “intensive hospitalization.” They add there have been multiple cases of children under the age of 4 who are showing serious symptoms.”

Social Distancing Difficult At Grocery Stores
CBSN Denver Live Broadcast

@KayElJay , look at the lines at King Soopers

Please let us know how your team member fares tonight at the hospital.

—-

Colorado restaurants struggle with new takeout-only rules

“Fuselier has laid off 83 of his 90 employees. Takeout represented five percent of his regular business prior to the public health order.

“Right away, we started calling DoorDash, Grubhub and Uber Eats ... couldn’t get through to all three of them at the time.”

On Tuesday, Fuselier got through to DoorDash but was told it would take five business days to get his business on their system. Until then, the phone lines are open.

“Tomorrow we’re getting snow,” Fuselier said. “I’ll tell you what — I’ve got an all-wheel-drive car. You order from me tomorrow, I’ll personally deliver to your lobby or to your doorstep.””

Last edited:
Hi everyone! This is my first time on this thread, I plan on reading & scanning tonight, I’ve just been busy with the craziness & or deeply obsessed with a murder case.

I have no idea what the rules are here but I would like to ask:
Is there is anyone else who is married to a firefighter or medic, any 1st responder who must continue to work? Do you have kids as well? How are you handling it/what’s your cleaning protocol?

We’re having a hard time coping... either we isolate ourselves away from him (I have lowered immunity) or deal with him possibly in the incubation period each time he comes home. (One of the most irritating things is the hoarding that’s going on... I fear for when my cleaning supplies run out.)

ETA (...are there any MA folks?)

OREGON

UPDATE (March 18, 6:08 p.m. PT) — As of Wednesday, Oregon has a total of 75 known cases of the novel coronavirus, according to the Oregon Health Authority.

OHA announced 10 new confirmed cases Wednesday.

The health authority also reported an additional death from the virus, bringing the state’s total number of deaths to three.
————————-
Oregon hospitals, outpatient clinics, veterinarians and dentists must stop all non-emergency work to preserve surgical masks, gowns and gloves, according to an executive order issued by Gov. Kate Brown Wednesday.

Health care workers worry they do not have enough personal protective equipment for the anticipated rush of coronavirus patients.

Brown’s rule requires preservation of safety equipment for health care workers treating COVID-19 patients. It also limits hospital visitations to help avoid further exposure to the virus.
————————-
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced Wednesday the opening of the Oregon Medical Station, a temporary hospital that she said should be set up at the state fairgrounds in Salem by Friday.

“The Oregon Medical Station is a temporary hospital the state purchased a few years ago for use in a crisis like this,” Brown said.

She said it is a 250-bed emergency hospital.

BBM

Live Updates: Oregon Medical Station To Open In Salem; 75 Known Coronavirus Cases In Oregon

Oregon has the lowest per-capita bed count in the country, with 1.6 beds per 1000 people.
——————-
The governor also announced during the call that the state is gradually increasing its testing capacity, and that it recently signed a contract with Quest Diagnostics.

Quest will be sending the state 20,000 tests, Brown said. Any day now, the state will receive its first bundle of 5,000—or 25 percent—of those total tests.

Oregon is Opening a 250-Bed Emergency Hospital on State Fairgrounds to Treat COVID-19 Patients

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this thread, I plan on reading & scanning tonight, I’ve just been busy with the craziness & or deeply obsessed with a murder case.

I have no idea what the rules are here but I would like to ask:
Is there is anyone else who is married to a firefighter or medic, any 1st responder who must continue to work? Do you have kids as well? How are you handling it/what’s your cleaning protocol?

We’re having a hard time coping... either we isolate ourselves away from him (I have lowered immunity) or deal with him possibly in the incubation period each time he comes home. (One of the most irritating things is the hoarding that’s going on... I fear for when my cleaning supplies run out.)

ETA (...are there any MA folks?)
If you have limited immunity, then unfortunately I think the only way forward is limited contact. That’s just the reality of the virus.

In regards to the hoarding, it’s going to stop. The problem isn’t the existence of the products, but their availability from warehouse to store shelves (people are buying them faster than they can be restocked).

Things will start to improve quickly (people only need so much toilet paper), and there’s always Amazon and Walmart.

Small businesses shutting down in droves across metro Denver

“Boston and northern California are the hardest-hit areas in terms of small business closures and reduced work hours. After seeing more contained impacts last week, businesses ground to a halt this week as the level of restrictions increased. That, in turn, explains the skyrocketing unemployment benefit requests the state is seeing.

On Wednesday, 10,000 people applied for unemployment benefits in Colorado, according to the state’s labor department. That’s after 3,900 people applied on Monday and 6,800 attempted to file on Tuesday before the overloaded system was taken down for maintenance.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crankymomma