Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
.Just stopping in for a minute. This may already have been posted. City and County of Denver has just issued a stay at home mandate beginning tomorrow evening and lasting until at least 4/10. Essential businesses remain open. Definition of essential businesses is given in the attached order.

https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com...9/executed-public-health-order-03.23.2020.pdf

I understand Jefferson county (just west of Demver) issued a similar mandate but I haven’t seen that confirmed.

Note unless Adams county has issued a similar directive, people in the northernmost part of Denver (North of 52nd street) aren’t included in this ordered because they aren’t part of the county of Denver. I know, it’s weird

Have antibodies been identified?

New blood tests for antibodies could show true scale of coronavirus pandemic | Science | AAAS

Labs and companies around the world have raced to develop antibody tests, and a few have been used in small studies and received commercial approval, including several from China. But so far, large-scale data from such tests—for example showing what fraction of people in the hard-hit city of Wuhan, China, might now be immune—is still lacking or at least not public.....

Krammer says he and his colleagues are already using their test in their New York City hospital to better understand how quickly COVID-19 patients start to develop antibodies to the virus. In the future, it could also help identify recovered patients who could then donate their SARS-CoV-2 antibody-rich serum to help treat critically ill patients. Another key application, Krammer says, would be to identify people who have developed likely immunity to the virus. They might be able to treat patients safely or take on other front-line jobs during the pandemic.

Widespread antibody testing could also provide key data for efforts to model the course of the pandemic. Current predictions vary so widely, causing some scientists to question the need for severe containment methods such as lockdowns and social distancing. By indicating how much of the population is already immune because of mild infections, antibody data could offer a key to how fast the virus will continue to spread.

Such data could inform practical issues such as whether and how to reopen schools that have been closed. Relatively few cases have been diagnosed among children, but it isn’t clear whether that’s because they don’t get infected or because their infections are generally so mild that they go unnoticed. Testing children for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies should resolve that.

MISSOURI

BREAKING: St. Louis Mayor announces the city’s first death due to COVID-19, a woman in her 30s who tested positive yesterday - KSDK
Breaking911 on Twitter

It says this tweet is unavailable so here is the MSM article on it:
th

St. Louis Woman in Her 30s First in City to Die of Coronavirus

NYC

NYC ER doctor today said their ER is intubating 1-2 patients *per hour*. That’s a 12 to 24 new ICU admissions requiring ventilators per day. NYC hospitals about to hit max capacity. Other cities/hospitals must act now to be ready #CoronavirusOutbreaK

Kit Delgado on Twitter

1 to 2 per hour. Isnt that more like 24 to 48 per day? Jmo

We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself.

Dr. Marc Siegel: Virus response threatens our ability to 'stay together as a society'

I agree wholeheartedly.

MOO

It will be interesting to see what states agree to drop the social isolation after the 15 day period and which states don't. Population density plays a huge role in the efficacy of social distancing.

The only real results that will matter will be how many dead. Businesses can be resurrected but no amount of money can resurrect the dead.

Trump just referred to this at the beginning of the presser. (He said "Irish problem"????)

White House correspondent suspected of having coronavirus

White House correspondent suspected of having coronavirus

White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) President Jonathan Karl informed members on Monday that "one of our colleagues has a suspected case of COVID-19.”

According to Karl, who also serves as White House correspondent for ABC News, the individual was at the White House on several occasions over the past two weeks, including on March 9, 11, 16 and 18.

On three of those dates, President Trump and Vice President Pence held coronavirus task force briefings in the relatively small James S. Brady briefing room at the White House.

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_181429.png
    IMG_20200323_181429.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm curious if there are still a large amount of US citizens who still fervently believe that the response is a huge over reaction. I can only imagine that for some, the scope of the problem will only be realized when it hits VERY close to home. Imo

Every nation must have its share of naysayers. My brother took his wife and daughter on a week long Disney cruise and just came home Saturday. They left Canada knowing the warnings against going on cruises. Daughter has spinal bifida and had a kidney transplant last summer. She needs a cup of pills every day to keep her alive.

They said that no one was sick on the cruise, so they were fine until they docked. Then they drove to Toronto from Miami. :/

Watching Justin Trudeau on CSPAN while waiting on US briefing. Love the beard and the French, but also struck by how much he sounds like a flight attendant. Calm, authoritative, and knowledgeable. Love to all the leaders who are looking out for their people.

He was an elementary school teacher before a Prime Minister - that's where his "enough is enough" comes from.

I'm in Arizona, have not been on WS in many weeks (life has been busy, just regular busy, no covid19), but we are just going along, life as usual. It's nuts. Lots of cars on the road, lots of people everywhere I go. Totally irresponsible IMO - we should all be at home. I work in the legal field and where possible, they want us to stay away from the court houses, but not mandatory. That's my update.

CT - Updated information by Town for COVID19 - 223 lab confirmed COVID19 cases - 5 deaths a/o 3/21/2020:

From the Ground: Due to not being prepared for testing, it appears that most Towns in the State are giving up on providing testing and are resigned to the the virus being everywhere. A few Towns are attempting to provide testing on a limited basis but its a patchwork operation at best and isn't centrally organised. It seems like its every Town for itself and because of limited protective gear at the Town level that would be needed to supervise testing Towns in Fairfield County such as Wilton, CT are simply stepping away and telling people to contact one of the 23 hospitals in the State that are providing testing.

The State Lab hasn't been able to ramp up testing capabilities and has tested only 687 people in a State with a population of 3.5 million (1.0 million people in Fairfield County alone which is 40-50 miles from epicentre NYC). Private Lab testing appears to be happening but the stats aren't being published for some reason by the State.

In general, its not possible to get a test ANYWHERE unless you are ill and showing symptoms. There is no centralised coordination of testing from Hartford (State Capital) and so it seems like everyone is on their own to figure out what to do and when to head to the Hospital if you become ill.

In short, its the most poorly organised system that I think exists anyplace in the US. It seems like the State is waving the white flag to COVID19, doing no proactive testing and simply resigning people to get sick at home and perhaps get treatment if space is available in one of the hospitals. Its an unbelievable situation on the ground as people are unsure and frightened and resources appear limited to non existent. Very sad situation IMO when the best you can do is shelter in place and pray.

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/Coronavirus/CTDPHCOVID19summary3212020.pdf?la=en

As of March 21, 2020, a total of 223 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported among Connecticut residents (Table 1). Cases have been reported in all 8 Connecticut counties. Forty-three patients were hospitalized, and 5 residents have died (4 in Fairfield County and 1 Tolland County).

The Dr. Katherine A. Kelley State Public Health Laboratory has tested a total of 687 patients for COVID- 19; 77 (11%) patients tested positive. Hospital and commercial laboratories also are offering testing for COVID-19 in Connecticut; in total, more than 3100 tests have been reported to date.

Table 1. Laboratory-Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 in Connecticut

As of 3/21/2020 10AM. Includes patients tested at the State Public Health Laboratory, Hospital, and Commercial Laboratories

County

Fairfield County 160
Hartford County 140
Litchfield County 120
Middlesex County 100
New Haven County 80
New London County 60
Tolland County 40
Windham County 20

Total

Deaths 5

Yep....floors not open yet....but all the rest of hospitals are maxed too. Husband is paramedic in Atlanta for Grady.
OT, but Grady paramedics and other staff gave my sister great care. Emory did too, but she passed anyway (not of COVID-19). Please give him my thanks and wishes for his continued safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89