Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need to change and wash your clothes after visiting the grocery store?
While not much is known about how this particular virus interacts with clothing and fabric, “coronaviruses in general last a lot longer on a solid, nonporous surface compared to porous fabrics,” Juan Dumois, a pediatric infectious-diseases physician at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla., told MarketWatch. He suggested they would survive better on “artificial fibers” such as polyester than on cotton.
“But it’s still common sense to keep them laundered and clean, and where you have smooth-surface clothing like leather or vinyl, it makes sense to wipe them off if you’ve been in public spaces for extended periods of time,” he added. “These are make-sense recommendations and not scientifically based.”
---

Two big hospitals here in my city got thousands of masks and disinfectants stolen this week. Horrible but at the same time I can't understand that they didn't hire security, it was clear that this was something that could happen.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Department of Health | State of Louisiana

Louisiana Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
data

Cases Reported*
Deaths Reported
Tests Completed
by State Lab
Tests Reported to State
by Commercial Labs
43 of 64
Parishes with Reported Cases
Neighbor took his wife from TX to Louisiana. Upon his return his company is making him quarantine in TX for 14 days. Cannot work. No pay. He is not in a health related job. Outside building inspector.

That is exactly what I heard as well. People need to have hope. Unfortunately, people are angry and sometimes misplaced anger is thrown at the wrong target.
I agree with all of this. Trust is important too. Easily lost, not easily replaced. Clear communication is invaluable, with strict alignment between words and deeds.

SOUTH CAROLINA

Berkeley Co. principal confirms COVID-19 case at middle school Berkeley Co. principal confirms COVID-19 case at middle school #chsnews Live5News on Twitter
Live5News on Twitter

LADSON, S.C. (WCSC) - The principal of College Park Middle School alerted parents Monday that a member of the school’s community tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

Principal Ingrid Dukes notified the school's staff, students and parents via an email.

The message did not identify the person or state whether it is a student or faculty member.

"Fact check: Trump wrongly claims FDA 'approved' drug chloroquine to treat the coronavirus."
Fact check: Trump wrongly claims FDA 'approved' drug chloroquine to treat the coronavirus - CNNPolitics

Quoting your link:

He [Trump] added: "Normally the FDA would take a long time to approve something like that, and it's -- it was approved very, very quickly and it's now approved, by prescription."
Facts First: Chloroquine has not been approved by the FDA to treat the coronavirus -- and nor has any other drug, the FDA made clear in a post-briefing statement that said "there are no FDA-approved therapeutics or drugs to treat, cure or prevent COVID-19." Because chloroquine has been approved for other purposes, doctors are legally allowed to prescribe it for the unapproved or "off-label" use of treating the coronavirus if they want. But its safety and effectiveness has not been proven with regard to the coronavirus. FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn, speaking after Trump at the briefing, said that chloroquine would be tested through a "large, pragmatic clinical trial" with coronavirus patients.

I've got mine, but it looks different from my dad, who got his in another country. It is amazing to me that somehow we managed to pull off that massive initiative, not just in the US, but globally. What changed about us? When did our horizons get so small and our planning so short-term?

That's right the Salk polio vaccine was just a single needle. The big circle in the left shoulder (for right-handers) was for smallpox.

Smallpox Vaccine Scar: Why It Happens

smallpox vaccination scar - بحث Google

CT Update - 619 cases (up 200 in 1 day) - 12 deaths:

Daily coronavirus updates: Connecticut sees 200 new COVID-19 infections in one day as death toll reaches 12; Gov. Lamont urges those who can to stay home

Connecticut has 618 confirmed cases of COVID-19, up 200 in one day, Gov. Ned Lamont announced at a news conference Tuesday.

“We thought it might get worse before it gets better, and I’m afraid we were right," Lamont said, adding that the single-day increase is not due to the ramp up in testing across the state.

The fast-growing, confirmed “infections are related to the fact that we have a higher percentage of our people who are actually infected,” Lamont said.

As of Tuesday, there have been 12 confirmed deaths due to COVID-19 and 71 hospitalized patients have tested positive for the virus.

Because of testing limitations, the number of actual cases is believed by health experts to be far greater than the number of confirmed cases. About 5,300 tests results have been reported to date.[BBM] - STILL NO IMPROVEMENT IN STATE LAB TESTING THROUGHPUT!!!!

Lamont said 900 nurses and doctors are coming out of retirement to help staff hospitals as they work to ramp up capacity for the coming surge of coronavirus patients. Three hundred retirees have already reported to work.

Dormitories at Southern and Central Connecticut State Universities are opening to increase capacity, as well — not necessarily for patients, but to provide a place for health care workers to stay overnight to avoid exposing their families to the coronavirus.

“It just reminds you what heroes we have on the front lines,” Lamont said.

Students unlikely to report back this school year

Gov. Ned Lamont said Tuesday that Connecticut schools are unlikely to reopen until the fall, as the state’s COVID-19 outbreak intensified, hospitals prepared for a surge in new patients and a cluster of cases was confirmed in a Ridgefield assisted-living center.

“You worry if people get back too quickly, that there’ll be a second iteration of this virus,” Lamont told WCBS-880 Tuesday morning.

At a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Lamont reiterated that the pandemic is unlikely to be cleared by April 20, the earliest date he’s said Connecticut’s public schools will reopen: “My instinct is this is a virus that’s gonna linger for a lot longer than that.”

Lamont said the state will use a higher standard than simply waiting for the other side of the pandemic’s peak.

“We’re going to make sure that the virus is behind us or at least contained," he said.

Here’s what else is happening:

• There have been two deaths and 16 confirmed coronavirus cases at an assisted-living community in Ridgefield.
  • Hospitals are preparing for a surge in COVID-19 patients, with two erecting “field hospitals” to expand their capacity.
  • State lawmakers are continuing work on an economic relief package for businesses.
  • Health care workers are in need of personal protective equipment, and the state is accepting donations.
2 deaths, 16 confirmed cases in Ridgefield assisted-living community
Officials with Benchmark Senior Living at Ridgefield Crossing, where the first person in Connecticut to die from COVID-19 lived, said a second resident has died and the facility now has 16 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

“I am concerned about that,” Lamont said during a Tuesday news conference. “We know that nursing homes can be a petri dish and they’re spreading [it] to the most vulnerable population. We’re watching this very carefully and there is a risk of clusters.”

Officials said testing began after the first individual contracted the virus. On Tuesday, the facility said: “We learned on March 23 of 16 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 at Ridgefield Crossings. These residents have not exhibited any symptoms and are being closely monitored and cared for by our trained staff.”

Lack of equipment remains an issue for hospitals across the state. Waterbury Hospital has slowed down its drive-through testing due to a shortage of supplies, particularly N95 respirator masks, a spokesperson said. UConn Health, meanwhile, has ordered staff to reuse masks ahead of a potential nationwide shortage.

Fearing a mask shortage, St. Francis Hospital and Medical in Hartford is accepting donations for “new and unopened N95 Respirator masks, both medical grade and industrial grade," hospital president Dr. John Rodis said, in a statement. Anyone with masks to donate can find details on the Trinity Health of New England website. [BBM]

A lot of drugs that go into clinical trials don't pan out. It's far from clear if this drug is going to be an effective treatment. It also has side effects, including cardiovascular. Which is presumably the last thing you want if you are on a ventilator.
Yeah that

Sudden Cardiac Death

side effect kinda gets your attention

Neighbor took his wife from TX to Louisiana. Upon his return his company is making him quarantine in TX for 14 days. Cannot work. No pay. He is not in a health related job. Outside building inspector.
Wow. Not even a way to let him do the communication part of his job via internet or phone calls? Are they worried about infected paperwork?

"Fact check: Trump wrongly claims FDA 'approved' drug chloroquine to treat the coronavirus."
Fact check: Trump wrongly claims FDA 'approved' drug chloroquine to treat the coronavirus - CNNPolitics

. . . "It's shown very encouraging -- very, very encouraging early results. And we're going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately. And that's where the FDA has been so great. They -- they've gone through the approval process; it's been approved. And they did it -- they took it down from many, many months to immediate. So we're going to be able to make that drug available by prescription or states," Trump said. . . .

I'm the one whose husband had malaria, so I pay close attention to antimalarials.

The quote does not say chloroquine is approved for CoVid 19. It is approved. It can be used, off-label, as soon as medical professionals choose.

Off-label prescribing by doctors is very, very common.

I called around to a bunch of pharmacies and found some hydroxychloroquine at a little hole in the wall pharmacy I forgot existed. All the big pharmacies are out with no idea when they'll be getting more. I got 20 tablets, which is enough for 10 days so now I'm good for a little more than three weeks. I'm conflicted because without it I'll be in a lot of pain and not knowing if I'll get my next refill has me stressed, but if it's working on COVID 19I want others to have access to it too.

I have no idea how they can make that kind of determination. I suppose I need to read more about this to see how its even possible to estimate when a virus started its spreading.

The only thing I am aware of for testing the age of something is Carbon 14 dating and Im pretty sure that is not how they are doing it.

This is interesting as I was wondering if it had been around a lot longer than Dec 2019.
I think molecular virologists can determine the number of mitoses the virus goes through

I have no idea how they can make that kind of determination. I suppose I need to read more about this to see how its even possible to estimate when a virus started its spreading.

The only thing I am aware of for testing the age of something is Carbon 14 dating and Im pretty sure that is not how they are doing it.

This is interesting as I was wondering if it had been around a lot longer than Dec 2019.
That's going to require the still-nonexistent antibody testing kits. Testing for the live virus will remain expensive and limited, no way we'll scale up for that in 20 days. Of course, the first wave of antibody testing will also be expensive and lab time is very limited, so we have to wait until the curve is flattened.

People who were sick and were tested because they had symptoms may be able to go back to work, but that needs study too. There will be a reinfection rate (hopefully very very low).

But right now there are no tests for the antibodies in the US and no plans for implementing that. China has the ability, so we need to figure it out and get that underway as well. My understanding is that antibody tests must be serological (so a blood draw is required - you can see the issues there). No info on whether China has a simply prick test (but it would still need to go through serological testing at a designated lab).

I think molecular virologists can determine the number of mitoses the virus goes through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321