Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?
POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?
POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

COVID-19 Coronavirus Memorial Thread
______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

______

Websleuth's main Coronavirus Forum

_______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37
Thread #38 Thread #39

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN WARNING:

This thread is fast moving and labour intensive and we have other active threads that need attention.

Politicizing is NOT allowed. If your post is found to contain political statements or politics in general, it will be removed and a thread ban will be issued which means you will not be able to post in this thread, only read.

Critique your own post before submitting it to the thread to make sure it does not have a political bent; otherwise you may find you lose posting privileges.

Post accordingly.

Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOUR FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

Hey Everyone,

We are putting together a forum for the virus. If you have any ideas for the categories to be included in the forum please send me a private message. Here is what I am thinking so far:
Each state will have its own thread. We will ask everyone to put in information about their state.
A general discussion where this thread and the past threads will be located.
A media thread of course.
Debunking all the kooky crap out there discussion.
Daily count of how many cases are being reported and how many deaths. We would have other countries included. This would be a no discussion thread too.
I have a few more ideas but I am open to anything.
Thanks.
Tricia

Let me clear something up. We will all be together on this thread discussing just like we are now. The other categories will be added so you all can access certain pieces of info more quickly.

MOD NOTE
A few things to help keep this vital discussion open and safe:

• This forum is NOT for debate. It is for the sharing of information and feelings. If someone’s feelings are not in line with yours, DO NOT DEBATE. It is not productive and it negates the purpose of the discussion here. STOP before you reply in anger to someone who posted something you do not agree with or like. REPORT it instead and Mods will determine how to handle it or whether it can stay. DO NOT DEBATE.
  • Discussing personal FB posts of ANY kind, yours included, is a violation of TOS. Apparently Facebook has had a technical glitch and numerous posts by many folks were deleted in error. THAT IS NOT FOR DISCUSSION ON THIS BOARD, and those posts talking about it will be deleted.
  • ANY of the above CAN be discussed in Private Messages. That is where these subjects belong.
This is an extremely difficult and challenging time for all of us. It is not uncommon for fear to manifest itself in anger. We can try our best to direct our fear and anger in ways that do not hurt others, but will still allow for venting anger because that is normal and healthy. We just need to try to keep the anger off the boards so that we can all manage our fear at such a time as this.

ADMIN NOTE:

In case members aren't reading The Rules:

Do not politicize.
Do not discuss other members.
Do not discuss moderators or moderation (which can get members permanently banned).

BASHING WS ADMINISTRATORS and MODERATORS, and THEIR ACTIONS

Posting in a thread to comment on, question, or criticize moderator or administrator action is not allowed. Please utilize the board's Private Message function or email to contact staff if you wish to discuss these issues. As long as you bring up your concerns maturely and civilly to the moderator or administrator in question, we will do our best to address your concerns fairly and promptly.

Here are the Dos and Donts of addressing your concerns to moderators or administrators:

Do be civil and polite. Bring up your concerns in a mature and respectful manner. If you are contacting us because you violated forum guidelines, be adult enough to admit your mistake. If your ID has been locked for some reason, talking politely to us about it in private, via e-mail or private message, can get your ID reinstated in many cases.

Do not be derogatory or insulting towards us. You will not get what you want by name calling or bashing us.

All we ask is that you treat us the way you would want us to treat you. If you treat us with respect, we will do the same for you.

Realize that a lot goes on behind the scenes. If you are thinking to yourself "Those moderators are either total idiots or they know something I do not", it's safe to assume we know something you do not.

Make sure you "Click to expand" the quoted Rule.

Just bear in mind you probably don't know the full and true story.

Do NOT respond to this post.

A couple quick notes.

Dr. Mike talked quite a bit about “technology”, as related to tracking, apps...Marking that this took place on Wednesday, March 25th PC and wanted to pull the full section on that, because it was extra interesting considering it was a topic of discussion here when China had their “CV apps”...remember @dixiegirl1035 ? Anyway, Dr. Mike is obviously very knowledgeable about technology in many regards, and said he wishes he could talk about it more. What he said was very interesting imo. Dr. Maria later supplemented on other technological aspects.

Also, noting to find info on Thursday’s G20 Conference.

Let’s see there was something else I wanted the Q & A transcript for...

Idk...also wanting to maybe highlight again the six steps that WHO recommends for all countries.

Congratulations to me btw on my 30 day anniversary of self-imposed isolationo_O One month today, and “30 Days in the Hole”. It feels like an accomplishment. @Lato and @Oregonmama , congrats to you as well on the one month mark.

@MJPeony , how are things for you in Santa Clara County?

:lookingitup:

Also making note to self to check CDC website...any latest briefings by Dr. Nancy, or has she been quiet lately?

—-

ETA:
Coronavirus: Santa Clara County has 17 new cases, 5 new deaths

Last edited:
I'm pretty new here and I'm going to eat some crow....I wasn't very concerned when this all started, that has changed. In our small county in Northern California we now have 18 positives. I have stocked up on food and dog food for a month. We do have to go out next week for a few things. My boyfriend will go in the store to buy the things and I will be waiting in the truck with the hand sanitizer for him. This site has really opened my eyes and helped so much. Sorry that I didn't see it sooner.

I'm in Humboldt county and we haven't really seen any shortages yet. Well, eggs were limited to 2 dozen. Good luck to you too and stay safe.

Hi again @Squinchy! Didn’t Humboldt only have 2 cases when we talked a couple of weeks ago?! I have been bad about keeping track, but that’s a big increase to 18 cases! I don’t suppose they tell you where the cases are. My county in Oregon (Jackson) has risen from 2 to 13 pretty fast, but not as fast as you.

I’m glad you you’re stocked up now. No need to add crow to your provisions. :D

Coronavirus: Newsom says ICU cases doubled overnight

“The number of people being treated in California ICUs for coronavirus doubled overnight, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Saturday, as the deadly illness continues to spread in the state.

During a visit to South Bay fuel cell company Bloom Energy, which has shifted its operations to refurbishing ventilators to treat COVID-19 patients, Newsom said 410 people with the virus are now in ICUs across California, up from 200 on Friday.”

From the BBC.

UK daily check-in text service

People in self-isolation with suspected Covid-19 symptoms are to receive regular check-in texts from the NHS to check how they are.

On Saturday the UK government launched a new messaging service which will send daily texts to new patients who register their symptoms and contact details with the 111 online service.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52081389

WHO

Critical preparedness, readiness and response actions

“WHO has defined four transmission scenarios for COVID-19:
1. Countries with no cases (No cases);
2. Countries with 1 or more cases, imported or locally detected (Sporadic cases);
3. Countries experiencing cases clusters in time, geographic location and/or common exposure (Clusters of cases);
4. Countries experiencing larger outbreaks of local transmission (Community transmission).
This document describes the preparedness, readiness and response actions for COVID-19 for each transmission scenario.”

Download (530.9 kB)
“Overview
All countries should increase their level of preparedness, alert and response to identify, manage and care for new cases of COVID-19. Countries should prepare to respond to different public health scenarios, recognizing that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to managing cases and outbreaks of COVID-19. Each country should assess its risk and rapidly implement the necessary measures at the appropriate scale to reduce both COVID-19 transmission and economic, public and social impacts.”

—-

Responding to community spread of COVID-19

“This document provides technical guidance for government authorities, health workers, and other key stakeholders to guide response to community spread. It will be updated as new information or technical guidance become available. For countries that are already preparing or responding, this document can also serve as a checklist to identify any remaining gaps.”

—-

Operational considerations for case management of COVID-19 in health facility and community

“This document is intended to guide the care of COVID-19 patients as the response capacity of health systems is challenged; to ensure that COVID-19 patients can access life-saving treatment, without compromising public health objectives and safety of health workers.

It promotes two key messages:

1. Key public health interventions regardless of transmission scenario; and

2. Key action steps to be taken by transmission scenario to enable timely surge of clinical operations.”

—-

Prioritized Laboratory Testing Strategy According to 4Cs Transmission Scenarios
(published date : 22 March 2020)

“Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is critical to tracking the virus, understanding epidemiology, informing case management, and to suppressing transmission. This document describes the strategic use of diagnostic testing in different transmission scenarios of the COVID-19 outbreak, from no cases to community transmission, including how testing might be rationalized when lack of reagents or testing capacity necessitates prioritization of certain populations or individuals for testing.”

——

Maintaining a safe and adequate blood supply during the pandemic outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

“This document provides interim guidance on the management of the blood supply in response to the pandemic outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19). It emphasizes the importance of being prepared and responding quickly and outlines key actions and measures that the blood services should take to mitigate the potential risk to the safety and sufficiency of the blood supplies during the pandemic.

It should be read in conjunction with WHO Guidance for National Blood Services on Protecting the Blood Supply During Infectious Disease Outbreaks, which provides general guidance on the development of national plans to respond to any emerging infectious threats to the sufficiency or safety of the blood supply.”

Last edited:
Good morning everyone from a brr-chilly-cold but beautifully sunny day in London.
I didn’t sleep much (again), ended up getting up around 4.30am rather than stay in bed enveloped in panic. The benefit to this was an early coffee in the garden with the cats. The only sound was birdsong - I’m pretty sure we have a woodpecker out there somewhere, judging by the noise...
Anyway. Does anyone else have problems with focussing on anything but this pandemic? I made a list of the things I want to do during quarantine and in twelve days have achieved precisely zero. Nothing. De nada.
Meanwhile, on the gratitude list today - a free morning to prep meals. I am batch cooking. Starting by sautéing onions, garlic and ginger. I’ll freeze these in individual bags and use them in the slow cooker as the week goes on.
And making a big batch of smoky chipotle, red bean, sweet potato and orange chilli.
Stay safe today, everyone ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member