Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Americans continue to think the battle against the coronavirus outbreak is going badly, and few would feel comfortable being out in crowded spaces now, a CBS News poll out Friday found.

There are encouraging signs, though, that two hard-hit states are starting to turn a corner in their virus fight. The number of people being hospitalized with COVID-19 in New York and California is falling.
Coronavirus updates: U.S. accounts for nearly a third of world's COVID-19 cases
I wonder though, how these statistics are compiled. So many are dying at home, they can't get into hospitals, but they aren't included in studies of "hospitalized" patients. Also, I wonder about the military on all those tightly-quartered ships, bunk rooms, etc. I don't think we see any military stats at all.
I wonder how many of the rest of you watched in disbelief at the daily body count pressers during the Vietnam war. Officials would go on camera every afternoon and proudly relate how so many more of the enemy were killed vs US troops. 58,000 of my countrymen, including high school guy friends, were slaughtered. It was a huge controversy, few believed the government's pressers. I sure hope we never get the idea that a parallel event is occurring now, only certain segments of patients being counted in order to "open" the country.
Vietnam War body count controversy - Wikipedia
Body count inflation
In the summer of 1970, H. Norman Schwarzkopf writes, "the Army War College issued a scathing report," that, among other things, "criticised the Army's obsession with meaningless statistics and was especially damning on the subject of body counts in Vietnam. A young captain had told the investigators a sickening story: he'd been under so much pressure from headquarters to boost his numbers that he'd nearly gotten into a fistfight with a South Vietnamese officer over whose unit would take credit for various enemy body parts. Many officers admitted they had simply inflated their reports to placate headquarters."

Last edited:
Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
We are cautiously optimistic that we are slowing the spread. The change in daily ICU admissions was a negative number for the first time (-17). That means there were fewer people in ICU units statewide yesterday than there were on the previous day.
11:38 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
We continue to endure great pain as we lost 777 New Yorkers yesterday. We feel this loss deeply as a state, community and New York family. It is a terrible, heartbreaking loss.
11:43 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
No one should go hungry because of this pandemic. NYS will provide $200 million in emergency food assistance to more than 700K low-income households enrolled in SNAP. Food is a very real issue for many families.
11:46 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Saying thanks is nice. Providing assistance is better. I’m working with NY's Congressional delegation to create a "COVID-19 Heroes Compensation Fund" to support frontline workers and their families. Just as Congress did after 9/11, we need to support our heroes once again.
11:53 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Reopening NYS will be a gradual process and it all comes down to testing. We developed an antibody test but we need the Federal Government to help. They must use the Defense Production Act to rapidly scale up testing. If I could – I would.
11:59 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
We are cautiously optimistic that we are slowing the spread. The change in daily ICU admissions was a negative number for the first time (-17). That means there were fewer people in ICU units statewide yesterday than there were on the previous day.
11:38 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
We continue to endure great pain as we lost 777 New Yorkers yesterday. We feel this loss deeply as a state, community and New York family. It is a terrible, heartbreaking loss.
11:43 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
No one should go hungry because of this pandemic. NYS will provide $200 million in emergency food assistance to more than 700K low-income households enrolled in SNAP. Food is a very real issue for many families.
11:46 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Saying thanks is nice. Providing assistance is better. I’m working with NY's Congressional delegation to create a "COVID-19 Heroes Compensation Fund" to support frontline workers and their families. Just as Congress did after 9/11, we need to support our heroes once again.
11:53 AM - 10 Apr 2020

Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Reopening NYS will be a gradual process and it all comes down to testing. We developed an antibody test but we need the Federal Government to help. They must use the Defense Production Act to rapidly scale up testing. If I could – I would.
11:59 AM - 10 Apr 2020
I had no idea he is such an effective leader.

I have heard this a lot that next of kin are not allowed in and cannot really understand if they have already been living in close quarters and it is a CV19 ward. Wonder what the reason for the isolation actually is?

I'm trying to catch up, so I don't know if others have replied by now. It may be different in other states, but here in NYC, as we are the epicenter, the hospitals are tremendously overwhelmed. It is dangerous for anyone to be there who doesn't require hospitalization, as the virus is relentless and seems omnipresent in the hospitals. The health care workers have no room and no time to keep family members safe from contracting Covid while they care for the loved ones who have it. It isn't possible to socially distance visitors.
For a little bit, NYC was saying that women in labor could not be accompanied, but Cuomo decided that he would allow a spouse or one companion during labor.
This extends even, as you say, to a family member living in the home. It's even worse for my friend's son and grandchildren. They didn't live with her and never got to see her or say goodbye. At least my friend's husband was able to accompany her up until the emergency room, and that was their goodbye.

LOUISIANA
Friday 4/10
19,253 Cases Reported
755 Deaths Reported
Patients in Hospitals

479 of those on ventilators
Tests Completed
5,159 by State Lab
87,121 Commercial Tests Completed
63 of 64 parishes

Thursday 4/9
18,283 Cases Reported*
702 Deaths Reported
63 of 64 parishes

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Department of Health | State of Louisiana

Louisiana turns blue to thank essential workers of coronavirus pandemic

Mostly empty streets around New Orleans on Thursday, April 9, 2020 as the Mercedes-Benz Superdome is lit up in blue lights to honor the global #LightItBlue initiative to support the millions of essential workers on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic

Photos: Louisiana turns blue to thank essential workers of coronavirus pandemic

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
BREAKING: UK reports 980 new coronavirus deaths, raising total 8,958
12:19 PM - 10 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
BREAKING: Death toll from coronavirus pandemic reaches 100,000
12:25 PM - 10 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
NEW: Ecuador reports 2,196 new cases of coronavirus in biggest one-day jump to date, death toll rises to 297
12:36 PM - 10 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
This represents a 44% increase in cases in just one day
12:38 PM - 10 Apr 2020

BNO Newsroom on Twitter
Coronavirus updates:
- New York: 10,575 new cases, 777 new deaths
- UK: 5,195 new cases, 980 new deaths
- Turkey: 4,747 new cases, 98 new deaths
12:50 PM - 10 Apr 2020

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline
CASES 1,663,178
DEATHS 100,315
RECOVERED 371,547
UNRESOLVED 1,191,316

Question; Where does a person locate the medical info that says their Blood type? I have suggested asking the PCP, if a person has been previously admitted.
Otherwise....I don't know.

I only know my cranky old model IPhone, but there is a pre-installed app called Health that has a red heart symbol. If you have that, you can enter the pertinent information, so even if God forbid you are alone and unable to communicate, a first responder will be able to derive the important details about you. It is supposed to be visible even when your phone is locked. Blood type, age, meds, emergency contact numbers.

I'm trying to catch up, so I don't know if others have replied by now. It may be different in other states, but here in NYC, as we are the epicenter, the hospitals are tremendously overwhelmed. It is dangerous for anyone to be there who doesn't require hospitalization, as the virus is relentless and seems omnipresent in the hospitals. The health care workers have no room and no time to keep family members safe from contracting Covid while they care for the loved ones who have it. It isn't possible to socially distance visitors.
For a little bit, NYC was saying that women in labor could not be accompanied, but Cuomo decided that he would allow a spouse or one companion during labor.
This extends even, as you say, to a family member living in the home. It's even worse for my friend's son and grandchildren. They didn't live with her and never got to see her or say goodbye. At least my friend's husband was able to accompany her up until the emergency room, and that was their goodbye.
TY for your reply. I had not had any others.

I only know my cranky old model IPhone, but there is a pre-installed app called Health that has a red heart symbol. If you have that, you can enter the pertinent information, so even if God forbid you are alone and unable to communicate, a first responder will be able to derive the important details about you. It is supposed to be visible even when your phone is locked. Blood type, age, meds, emergency contact numbers.

I know my own blood type, but my daughter does not know her own. I also have a friend who isn't sure how to find out hers and her 2 boys types.

A nurse who believed she contracted COVID-19 while treating a patient at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit was found dead alone in her Michigan home just days after she was twice denied a coronavirus test because she did not show severe symptoms.

Detroit nurse, 53, who was twice refused a coronavirus test is found dead of COVID-19 in her home as Michigan mourns two other health care workers

This infuriates me. A family member is a nurse and has it. No test because not sick enough. No test, no diagnosis, no paid sick leave. She can use vacation time or personal time. She seems better today. No fever, satting at 97%. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties