Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Sorry, this part off the post is from Sundog, I made a mistake in how I posted it.) Chinese New Year is always a two week holiday. People who have migrated to the large cities for work travel to their hometowns to be with family. It's like Thanksgiving in the U.S. Everyone travels. Some have said it is like our Christmas holiday, but it isn't, it is more like our Thanksgiving in the U.S.

This year aside, it's normally a great time to be in a large city, as most people have gone back to their hometowns, and so the cities aren't crowded. It's like Paris in August.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-korea-coronavirus-covid19-reactivated-positive-1.5529066
''South Korean officials on Friday reported that 91 patients thought cleared of the new coronavirus had tested positive again.

Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), told a briefing that the virus may have been "reactivated" rather than the patients being re-infected.

South Korean health officials said it remains unclear what is behind the trend, with epidemiological investigations still underway.

The prospect of people being re-infected with the virus is of international concern, as many countries are hoping that infected populations will develop sufficient immunity to prevent a resurgence of the pandemic.''

This is what seems to be going on in my county... I really would love the antibody tests to get here

Is it true that people who have had cancer or transplants are more vulnerable, get sicker, succumb sooner?

Anyone with a compromised immune system is definitely more vulnerable to being sicker and dying from Covid 19.

ETA- I just realized you were asking your question to the OP. I know you know that about compromised immune systems. Sorry!

Is it true that people who have had cancer or transplants are more vulnerable, get sicker, succumb sooner?
Immune system is currently already weakened from treatments, my Dad was told to stay home by his doctor. A doctor will give them information about it if they have survived cancer and/or gone through treatments years ago to answer that.

United States Coronavirus: 502,318 Cases and 18,725 Deaths - Worldometer

I'm struck by the fact that so much of this disease is concentrated in the Northeast. MA is consistently having more cases than FL and today had twice as many deaths (96 v 48). I believe MA has been social distancing more than FL and I would think the retired population in FL would be more at risk. Is it just that FL is lagging on the timeline or is it the FL sunshine that kills the virus before it spreads?

UPDATED: April 10, 2020 - 10:00 a.m. EST

Preliminary results are in from Dr. Didier Raoult's continued study of treating COVID-19 patients with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. This study was performed on 1,061 patients that were treated early on in their diagnosis.

Data Found:
  • 92% of patients had excellent outcomes.
  • 4% of patients had a persistent virus past 10 days.
  • 4% of patients had a poor outcome. This was defined as being in the hospital for more than 10 days.
  • 10 patients total had to go to the ICU for care.
  • 5 patients total died.
Dr. Raoult's Takeaways:
  • Found this treatment to be safe with no side effects.
  • Found the amount of hydroxychloroquine in a patient's blood correlated with his or her outcome. Therefore, people may absorb the medication differently.
  • Found some blood pressure medication correlated with poor outcomes. More investigation needs to be done.
While there is no control study for comparison, these intial results seem promising so far. The NIH is about to start a trial with 500 people.

Read official documents here:

https://www.mediterranee-infection....ract_Raoult_EarlyTrtCovid19_09042020_vD1v.pdf

https://www.mediterranee-infection....020/04/Table_final_website_IHU_09_04_2020.pdf

Video interview with Dr. Didier Raoults

The Protocol Followed in the French COVID-19 Drug Combo Study

The Drug Combination That Could Be a Possible Treatment for COVID-19 (4:05)

The Process:

Patients with COVID-19 infection are treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

Plaquenil 200mg x3/day (10 days), and azithromycine 250mg for five days, twice the first day, then once for the next four days.

In order to avoid cardiac problems, an ECG is done before starting treatment, and in order to assess lung damage, a low-dose CT scan is performed.

The evaluation of the virological effect consists of a PCR before inclusion, with the quantification of the viral load on a nasopharyngeal sample, and a PCR on D5 to verify that the virus is undetectable or at levels too low to present a contagious risk.

Results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial:

United States Coronavirus: 502,318 Cases and 18,725 Deaths - Worldometer

I'm struck by the fact that so much of this disease is concentrated in the Northeast. MA is consistently having more cases than FL and today had twice as many deaths (96 v 48). I believe MA has been social distancing more than FL and I would think the retired population in FL would be more at risk. Is it just that FL is lagging on the timeline or is it the FL sunshine that kills the virus before it spreads?

I think that NYC just has so many people who take mass transit, and were exposed first by people from Italy. It is a population density issue.

Florida will explode. INMO, it already has, and the deaths are not reported as COVID19. Old person dies, shrug. But, they are going to start coming in fast and furious in the next two weeks.

Hydroxychloroquine in combination with metformin could be pretty deadly (at least in mice). Which is important since diabetes is a risk factor for having serious covid complications, and a lot of diabetics take metformin. So if the same is happening in humans, if doctors were to prescribe hydroxychloroqine to a diabetic who takes metformin, that drug combination alone could end up killing the patient.
"Researchers have warned that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) and chloroquine (CQ), two similar drugs repeatedly touted by President Trump to be promising treatments for COVID-19, may be toxic when combined with a common diabetes drug."
Researchers Warn Possible Coronavirus Treatment Hydroxychloroquine May Be Toxic When Combined With Diabetes Drug

What is happening in your county? Are people relapsing? Do they actually resume having a fever and respiratory symptoms?
COVID-19 Compiler. Work with this program, it gives changes in covid infection by county. I just learned about it on the Rachel Maddow show. I'm on my tablet, but if I enlarge it and press a county it does give the progression in the county, the daily increase or decrease in cases.

I hate how society treats the elderly as disposable objects. It makes me sick. Not all people in Nursing homes are elderly. There are young people there that have serious issues.
France didn't even count nursing homes in their numbers until about ten days ago - ooops! That according to worldometer web site.

I hate how society treats the elderly as disposable objects. It makes me sick. Not all people in Nursing homes are elderly. There are young people there that have serious issues.
That really made me sad. Is it hard to get some numbers from those places or do they just don't want to bother? Treated like people who don't matter enough because of age.

UPDATED: April 10, 2020 - 10:00 a.m. EST

Preliminary results are in from Dr. Didier Raoult's continued study of treating COVID-19 patients with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. This study was performed on 1,061 patients that were treated early on in their diagnosis.

Data Found:
  • 92% of patients had excellent outcomes.
  • 4% of patients had a persistent virus past 10 days.
  • 4% of patients had a poor outcome. This was defined as being in the hospital for more than 10 days.
  • 10 patients total had to go to the ICU for care.
  • 5 patients total died.
Dr. Raoult's Takeaways:
  • Found this treatment to be safe with no side effects.
  • Found the amount of hydroxychloroquine in a patient's blood correlated with his or her outcome. Therefore, people may absorb the medication differently.
  • Found some blood pressure medication correlated with poor outcomes. More investigation needs to be done.
While there is no control study for comparison, these intial results seem promising so far. The NIH is about to start a trial with 500 people.

Read official documents here:

https://www.mediterranee-infection....ract_Raoult_EarlyTrtCovid19_09042020_vD1v.pdf

https://www.mediterranee-infection....020/04/Table_final_website_IHU_09_04_2020.pdf

Video interview with Dr. Didier Raoults

The Protocol Followed in the French COVID-19 Drug Combo Study

The Drug Combination That Could Be a Possible Treatment for COVID-19 (4:05)

The Process:

Patients with COVID-19 infection are treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

Plaquenil 200mg x3/day (10 days), and azithromycine 250mg for five days, twice the first day, then once for the next four days.

In order to avoid cardiac problems, an ECG is done before starting treatment, and in order to assess lung damage, a low-dose CT scan is performed.

The evaluation of the virological effect consists of a PCR before inclusion, with the quantification of the viral load on a nasopharyngeal sample, and a PCR on D5 to verify that the virus is undetectable or at levels too low to present a contagious risk.

Results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial:

Thanks for the post to follow up later. It's great that some people were caught early on in the disease because in the United States, they are telling most people to just stay home until you are very very sick versus trying to do something at the onset of the disease. I hope that changes soon once the numbers get under control.

Hydroxychloroquine in combination with metformin could be pretty deadly (at least in mice). Which is important since diabetes is a risk factor for having serious covid complications, and a lot of diabetics take metformin. So if the same is happening in humans, if doctors were to prescribe hydroxychloroqine to a diabetic who takes metformin, that drug combination alone could end up killing the patient.
"Researchers have warned that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) and chloroquine (CQ), two similar drugs repeatedly touted by President Trump to be promising treatments for COVID-19, may be toxic when combined with a common diabetes drug."
Researchers Warn Possible Coronavirus Treatment Hydroxychloroquine May Be Toxic When Combined With Diabetes Drug
Dr. Fauci said that one of the problems with HCQ is that it must be used in much higher doses to experiment with treating covid19. Much higher than is used for Lupus for example. Who can even guess what happens to ppl who use that and other common drugs.

That really made me sad. Is it hard to get some numbers from those places or do they just don't want to bother? Treated like people who don't matter enough because of age.

Or disabilities. This pandemic seems to be quite the Darwinian factor, survival of the fittest. The old, the weak, the poor, seem to be dying off rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member