Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

Please continue discussion here.

No blatantly political posts.
Do not argue with or discuss other members.
Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts.

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If it is not your own post but you think it relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will do that for you.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

We are out of patience with posters who are ignoring forum guidelines about politicizing. Posting privileges will be removed for those members who continue to violate Tricia's instruction laid out in the above post, in part ...

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

Here, in Australia, strict 'guidelines' by law.
It is meditation for me, to play at gardening, with our garden supplies remaining open.
Australian Corona numbers, in comparison to most other countries, remain low, and GOING DOWN.
Off to tackle those pesty weeds again.

For herd immunity, large proportion of the population had to have been infected and recovered. I don't think that happened in OH.
As for vulnerable people having to figure out what kind of risk they are willing to take, who is going to pay these vulnerable people if their job place opens and they are not at work?
Is "sorry, I am vulnerable and thus not coming to work" going to get you a paycheck?
I am very curious about this because I am one of those vulnerable people.

I am curious, too. I am one of these vulnerable people, too. I hope the government (both federal and state) doesn't leave it up to the employers to determine how to work this out, otherwise we are at the mercy of employers, not a good thing. During the White House press briefing today, there were no details given, but the plan as written and posted said that in the first phase of opening, vulnerable populations should be given special accommodations by employers, such as teleworking. Hopefully there is more detail forthcoming. During the second phase of the reopening, the chart said that vulnerable populations should still be given special accommodations. Maybe they need to temporarily broaden the American Disabilities Act, and require employers to implement ADA policies. In phase three they said that vulnerable populations can resume public interactions but should practice physical distancing.
I hope they develop specific, detailed policies that are enforceable, otherwise employers will not implement special accommodations that help these employees. MOO.

That is exactly what I was saying the other day, but I put some of the responsibility on the WHO. They told the world to keep international borders open even though they knew that China closed cities and national travel. There was one set of rules for China, and another set of rules for sharing the virus with the rest of the world.

With further world wide investigation, 'what will be found'?????

It is disheartening but I don't even want to be in lockdown another 3 weeks, let alone until 2021. To be told I can exercise but can't stop and sit on a park bench if I want to, while out on a walk ??? Come on now.

if that's what it takes to not die and for my loved ones to stay alive
um, yeah, I'm all in

Bravo reporting from SW Ontario Canada
Never did pick up my hair color from Stylist. I tried an e-transfer for the first time and sent the 130.00 to myself instead of him! he told me to come get it and settle up later. I couldn't get there at the appointed time as I was fielding return to work calls. Soooo next time. I have not been to work since March 26th. I thought it time to retire. I have come to know it is not. Talked with my Manager and can set my own hrs. as much or as little as I want. So sometime in May I'll go back a few hrs. a week. Only person I will actually have to go see is in a lock-down Unit. Probably the safest person on the planet right now. Testing now mandatory for all of us in Mental Health Field. I was told to go last Tuesday between 8:30 and 4 p.m. Then a call don't go as the assessment place had an influx of us. Currently they are working out a plan to get to us. Nothing yet. My risk with be very, very minimal. We have PPE and I am very careful. Even under better circumstances I'm just not ready to retire. If I am exposed again at any point then that's it. Sadly.

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
To help patients, caregivers, physicians, and other healthcare providers find #COVID19 clinical trials and expanded access opportunities as easily as possible; the Reagan-Udall Foundation for the #FDA today launched the online COVID-19 Treatment Hub.
COVID-19 Treatment Hub | Reagan-Udall Foundation
11:29 AM - 15 Apr 2020

South Dakota has become one of the fastest growing hot spots in U.S., even as other parts of nation see their epidemics start to level off or slow. South Dakota has a doubling time now of about 4 days. In the setting of the ongoing national epidemic, every state is vulnerable.
EVp8I0cWsAAh3q5.png

11:41 AM - 15 Apr 2020

1/2 More evidence China delayed telling world or incorporating into their response, key information they developed about transmissibility and virulence of #COVID19. A series of delayed disclosures, incomplete statements helped create condition for pandemic
China didn't warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days
12:30 PM - 15 Apr 2020

2/2 One critical question is whether a more robust, transparent, response by China in the early days of the Wuhan outbreak would have made it easier for China to contain the virus; and prevent the scope of internal spread and exported cases that ultimately fueled a global crisis.
12:32 PM - 15 Apr 2020

1/3 New study shows that people with #COVID19 may be most infectious before their symptoms develop. The authors estimate that - on average - about 44% of secondary cases were infected from people who had not yet developed symptoms.
Temporal dynamics in viral shedding and transmissibility of COVID-19
12:46 PM - 15 Apr 2020

2/3 They report patterns of viral shedding in 94 patients with #COVID19 and model infectiousness from separate sample of transmission chains. They observed highest viral load in throat swabs at time of symptom onset; inferred that infectiousness peaked on or before symptom onset.
12:47 PM - 15 Apr 2020

3/3 This has very important implications for case based interventions. These findings will make effective and aggressive contact tracing to test, trace new cases critical to controlling for outbreaks and future epidemic spread.
12:47 PM - 15 Apr 2020

Positivity rates overall for #COVID19 testing nationally are still very high. In hot spot cities it's substantially higher. These data reflect the continued epidemic spread of this virus.
EVrIRL9XQAE4m3_.png

5:11 PM - 15 Apr 2020

Data shows a decline over past few weeks in emergency room visits for #COVID19 like illness.
EVrNvmFX0AQyf1F.png

5:36 PM - 15 Apr 2020

New analysis of viral genomes of the #COVID19 infections diagnosed in Connecticut finds that most of the cases evaluated were from domestic clusters, some probably originating in Washington State - demonstrating role of interstate spread in the epidemic.
https://www.cell.com/pb-assets/products/coronavirus/CELL_CELL-D-20-00892.pdf
10:23 PM - 15 Apr 2020

States with the lowest total percentage of their population tested for #COVID19
EVvoYGfXQAczesr.jpg

2:09 PM - 16 Apr 2020

States with the highest total percentage of their population tested for #COVID19
EVvof0WWoAYd_w7.jpg

2:10 PM - 16 Apr 2020

Re-opening principles from White House. Sensible set of broad guidelines on gradually restarting social activities, work in stages; with new protections at workplace, eye toward measuring impact to adjust if cases spike. Broadly consistent with state plans
https://www.washingtonpost.com/cont...uidance/b7768600-7906-408c-89a3-06fd5a47aa26/
4:59 PM - 16 Apr 2020

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1250921842929537024
Two places where states are likely to exercise more caution than these guidelines might allow are the reopening of gyms and sports venues and some other large entertainment gatherings. Those may not be permitted until we have seen that work can safely return without a resurgence.
6:59 PM - 16 Apr 2020

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1250928699458936835
Accumulating data on remdesivir in #COVID19 could seem to support authorizing broader access to drug under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA), especially now that the NIAID trial could be fully enrolled. That trial will serve as confirmatory evidence.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16...uggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/
7:26 PM - 16 Apr 2020

I am curious, too. I am one of these vulnerable people, too. I hope the government (both federal and state) doesn't leave it up to the employers to determine how to work this out, otherwise we are at the mercy of employers, not a good thing. During the White House press briefing today, there were no details given, but the plan as written and posted said that in the first phase of opening, vulnerable populations should be given special accommodations by employers, such as teleworking. Hopefully there is more detail forthcoming. During the second phase of the reopening, the chart said that vulnerable populations should still be given special accommodations. Maybe they need to temporarily broaden the American Disabilities Act, and require employers to implement ADA policies. In phase three they said that vulnerable populations can resume public interactions but should practice physical distancing.
I hope they develop specific, detailed policies that are enforceable, otherwise employers will not implement special accommodations that help these employees. MOO.
I agree, they should do all that, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

White House Opening Up America Guidelines
Opening Up America Again | The White House

That's quite long winded! I like the WHO guidelines better.
  • Transmission is controlled;
  • Health system capacities are in place to test, isolate, and treat every case and trace every contact;
  • Outbreak risks are minimized in special settings like health facilities and nursing homes;
  • Preventive measures are in place in workplaces, schools, and other essential places;
  • importation risks can be managed;
  • Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to adjust to the new norm.
'The way down is much slower than the way up': WHO announces 6 criteria countries need to meet before lifting lockdown restrictions

the virus could transfer from person to person via the bench
and contact tracing would be impossible

Tough restrictions in Australia remain for another month.
Here, in my state Victoria, Australia there is ONE NEW Corona case in the last 24 hours.
However, we are still on alert, in case there is an outbreak nearby.

Our lockdown has been most effective, and I hope, in other Countries throughout the world, you have pleasing results happening soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli