Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Let's check on our neighbors! Make a difference on our own street.

The elderly neighbor 2 houses down? Knock on the door ask if you can pick something up for them when your running your errands.

we've been running a small co-op

when one of us goes out we text the others and ask if anybody needs something, and we pick it up and we don't charge unless its like a lot of money

and if you need something sometime they do the same it works well and keeps people from going out more times than they have to

We were face timing with our Son and Daughter In Law-they live about 25 minutes out of our City. Saw the Nursery that is still a work in progress but it was nice to see the painted walls. Furniture was delivered here today they ordered since she is working from home and cant be checking or lifting items into their house. It was exciting. Then I had to switch gears when our Daughter sent me a quick message. At work (Nurse) for her 12 hr. shift in full PPE. Dam this virus:mad::mad:

Aw, that's tough, Bravo. The full gamut of parenting emotions.

we've been running a small co-op

when one of us goes out we text the others and ask if anybody needs something, and we pick it up and we don't charge unless its like a lot of money

and if you need something sometime they do the same it works well and keeps people from going out more times than they have to
COOL.....:).........You'all are a special group of people!

Buck (Baby Rabbit)
20-of-the-cutest-baby-animals-that-will-fit-in-your-hand-1.jpg

SMILES.....something to smile about..........

Last edited:

That's the CFR. The same link says we should be looking not at the CFR, but the IFR, which is unknowable at this point since we have no idea how many people are infected -- although everyone seems to agree that the virus is highly contagious, so that numbere is likely to be extremely high. And I agree. As we find out how many people were infected and didn't die (or even have serious symptoms) the IFR will go way down.

From the link:

What we want to know isn’t the case fatality rate: it’s the infection fatality rate

Before we look at what the CFR does tell us about the mortality risk, it is helpful to see what it doesn’t.

Remember the question we asked at the beginning: if someone is infected with COVID-19, how likely is it that they will die? The answer to that question is captured by the infection fatality rate, or IFR.

The IFR is the number of deaths from a disease divided by the total number of cases. If 10 people die of the disease, and 500 actually have it, then the IFR is [10 / 500], or 2%.28,29,30,31,32

To work out the IFR, we need two numbers: the total number of cases and the total number of deaths.

However, as we explain here, the total number of cases of COVID-19 is not known. That’s partly because not everyone with COVID-19 is tested.33,34

We may be able to estimate the total number of cases and use it to calculate the IFR – and researchers do this. But the total number of cases is not known, so the IFR cannot be accurately calculated. And, despite what some media reports imply, the CFR is not the same as – or, probably, even similar to – the IFR. Next, we’ll discuss why.

That's the CFR. The same link says we should be looking not at the CFR, but the IFR, which is unknowable at this point since we have no idea how many people are infected -- although everyone seems to agree that the virus is highly contagious, so that number is likely to be extremely high. And I agree. As we find out how many people were infected and didn't die (or even have serious symptoms) the IFR will go way down.

From the link:

What we want to know isn’t the case fatality rate: it’s the infection fatality rate

Before we look at what the CFR does tell us about the mortality risk, it is helpful to see what it doesn’t.

Remember the question we asked at the beginning: if someone is infected with COVID-19, how likely is it that they will die? The answer to that question is captured by the infection fatality rate, or IFR.

The IFR is the number of deaths from a disease divided by the total number of cases. If 10 people die of the disease, and 500 actually have it, then the IFR is [10 / 500], or 2%.28,29,30,31,32

To work out the IFR, we need two numbers: the total number of cases and the total number of deaths.

However, as we explain here, the total number of cases of COVID-19 is not known. That’s partly because not everyone with COVID-19 is tested.33,34

We may be able to estimate the total number of cases and use it to calculate the IFR – and researchers do this. But the total number of cases is not known, so the IFR cannot be accurately calculated. And, despite what some media reports imply, the CFR is not the same as – or, probably, even similar to – the IFR. Next, we’ll discuss why.

Based on the number of infected cases today in the USA, and number of deaths in those cases, the mortality rate (case fatality rate) is 5.5%. Based on an unknown number of cases and an unknown number of deaths, we know nothing.

Some people are looking into the crystal ball and declaring that there will be fewer than 60,000 deaths in the USA in August. Others look at what is known and true today.

No one doubts that every country has more sick people and more deaths than we know. There's no reason to assume that if all the sick and dead people were counted, the mortality rate would be different - although I suspect that many would like to believe that the mortality rate would suddenly drop to that of the regular flu.

I know they had shortages like everywhere
maybe this particular group sacrificed their sugar or had access to a bigger amount

The NL had a famine and food was rationed as people starved. Maybe sugar was used early in the war, when Germany first invaded the NL.

With this virus, people started with hoarding even though there was no shortage. In 6 months, things might be quite different. Maybe all the pot growing hydroponic operations in Canada can start producing food.

So, we’ve all gone through, and presently go through, different ranges of emotions.

My current state is a feeling of restlessness (and some depression honestly). I imagine I’m not alone in the restlessness, and perhaps the depressed feeling.

I don’t even like crowds and now suddenly I want to go to a concert lol. Must be the aftereffect of The Rolling Stones and all the music today. :)

I have become quite the homebody over the years but I’m so anxious to go out again whenever it can happen. This must be so hard for people who aren’t as comfortable at being at home so much, and especially for those who may have “control issues”.

Will we ever be “like the old days”? I don’t know.

Will this “end” like SARS did? That’s what I’m hoping for, that it just goes away and ends like SARS did. (Obviously we all are, but scientifically the fact that SARS did end gives me hope.)

—-

Looking back on SARS (again)..some recent articles, will post as I come across them.

When SARS Ended

ETA: oh wow the above article coincidentally mentions the Stones cancelling their concerts during SARS...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members