Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad news from my hometown on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State:

A mom and pop store that has been in town forever announced that it will be closing on April 30. We saw it posted on our local Nextdoor a couple weeks back and hoped that something would happen to stop the closure but it's not to be.

The store is walking distance from my house and has been a local landmark where people can gather in comfy chairs outside and share community gossip, where we all know each other and some of the nicest employees in town were always at the ready to help out or chat at checkout.

It will be missed and leaves a hole in the uptown part of my town. Along with the store closing other small businesses will be affected as the upstairs housed a wonderful little sushi stand. And local independent bakers hawked their delicious cakes and cookies. Will they find new stores to sell their goods?
Coronavirus pushes 125-year-old grocery store in Port Townsend to close for good

I'm afraid other small businesses in town will not be able to weather the storm. I know we'll recover eventually but I'm so sad to see my friends and neighbors struggling to keep their businesses open. We're undergoing a paradigm shift and only time will determine what our "new" town will look like.

We were face timing with our Son and Daughter In Law-they live about 25 minutes out of our City. Saw the Nursery that is still a work in progress but it was nice to see the painted walls. Furniture was delivered here today they ordered since she is working from home and cant be checking or lifting items into their house. It was exciting. Then I had to switch gears when our Daughter sent me a quick message. At work (Nurse) for her 12 hr. shift in full PPE. Dam this virus:mad::mad:

The veterinarians are open in my town (5 offices) and we have to drive up and let them take our pets into the office while we wait in the car. All transactions are done outdoors.
Can confirm the same in Montgomery TX. A masked, gowned and gloved tech will come out to your car and whisk your pet away to see the vet, who has become a disembodied voice over the telephone. You will text or read a kindle book while waiting in your car. Then your pet is swiftly returned to you by the above mentioned mystery tech. Paid over the phone. I think I called it ‘very cloak and dagger.’

A mom and pop store that has been in town forever announced that it will be closing on April 30. We saw it posted on our local Nextdoor a couple weeks back and hoped that something would happen to stop the closure but it's not to be.

The store is walking distance from my house and has been a local landmark where people can gather in comfy chairs outside and share community gossip, where we all know each other and some of the nicest employees in town were always at the ready to help out or chat at checkout.

It will be missed and leaves a hole in the uptown part of my town. Along with the store closing other small businesses will be affected as the upstairs housed a wonderful little sushi stand. And local independent bakers hawked their delicious cakes and cookies. Will they find new stores to sell their goods?
Coronavirus pushes 125-year-old grocery store in Port Townsend to close for good

I'm afraid other small businesses in town will not be able to weather the storm. I know we'll recover eventually but I'm so sad to see my friends and neighbors struggling to keep their businesses open. We're undergoing a paradigm shift and only time will determine what our "new" town will look like.

It's so interesting that no younger people can step forward (they'd probably need a little capital) to keep it going. Maybe that can still happen.

Where are you (just generally)? I wouldn't like that scenario. Cards against Humanity sounds awesome.

I know people who've used that mail order Italian hair color with good results. I haven't been in a store since March 12.
I am in south/central Michigan. We have a few local stores and a chain store in my little community.
It was at the Chain store where they were not doing the 6 ft apart and customers without masks and gloves
Our locally owned party store and gas station are only allowing 5 people in at a time, with bright orange arrows and signs and lines for people to stand apart.
If a small family owned party store can do this, why can't a big chain store with multiple stores all over do this ??? UGH

Carnival Executives Knew They Had a Virus Problem, But Kept the Party Going
More than 1,500 people have been diagnosed with Covid-19, and dozens have died.
March 4, a letter slipped under passenger cabin doors, Grant Tarling, Carnival Corp.’s chief medical officer, announced that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control had begun “investigating a small cluster” of Covid-19 cases in California that might have been linked to the ship. Thirteen days after leaving San Francisco for Hawaii, the vessel would be skipping a scheduled stop in Mexico on its return voyage and sailing back early to its Bay Area port.

That day, passengers noticed new hand sanitizer stations and crew members wearing gloves
Around lunchtime on March 5, the ship’s captain, John Smith, announced a quarantine over the ship’s public address system. All 2,422 passengers needed to go to their cabins to shelter in place.

But this wasn’t Carnival’s first outbreak, nor its last. In February, another of its ocean liners, the Diamond Princess

Carnival Executives Knew They Had a Virus Problem, But Kept the Party Going

It's so interesting that no younger people can step forward (they'd probably need a little capital) to keep it going. Maybe that can still happen.
That may still happen down the road. The store had a fire a decade ago and while they were underinsured they took out loans to rebuild and the result was very nice. The building now has condos on two floors above - I don't know if that's part of the entire building. Everything was brought up to code and has modern equipment.

If I had the money I'd go for it so yeah, with luck someone will take the plunge and keep the tradition going!

Coming to everytown soon. I fear all we're going to be left with is McDonalds and Walmart. Awesome.

Ohio Kroger update: I placed a pick up order at 11 AM. I ordered eggs, hamburger, jello, ice cream and mushrooms. When I got the email verification of my order it said I agreed to substitutions. I didn't. I called and explained that we couldn't have sugar and would they please not substitute our sugar free items as we couldn't use them. She was very nice and noted it on our order. When we picked up the order she said they substituted the medium eggs for large but they charged the same price. Everything else in our order was there. Imagine my surprise while disinfecting our groceries and finding a bag of sugar free Russel Stovers chocolates! How sweet is that?

plus you got an order the same day?
unheard of around here!

Ohio Kroger update: I placed a pick up order at 11 AM. I ordered eggs, hamburger, jello, ice cream and mushrooms. When I got the email verification of my order it said I agreed to substitutions. I didn't. I called and explained that we couldn't have sugar and would they please not substitute our sugar free items as we couldn't use them. She was very nice and noted it on our order. When we picked up the order she said they substituted the medium eggs for large but they charged the same price. Everything else in our order was there. Imagine my surprise while disinfecting our groceries and finding a bag of sugar free Russel Stovers chocolates! How sweet is that?
People are nice.

:)

Thank you @branmuffin. During WWII, my mother was a volunteer who walked around Greenwich Village in NYC nightly checking on blackout curtains. I remember that she explained to me (born post-war in 1946) that if there was one small chink of light, a bomber could see the target, risking everyone’s lives. No generation since then has had to sacrifice their personal freedom for the greater good of society. To many, that is an alien concept. But this virus is the enemy and this is war. This is why I have no patience with those who chafe against these temporary restrictions that can save lives. JMO

oh wow that's amazing
my FIL told me a story of how he was too young to join the army so he joined some underground group and one way he helped was by sneaking around at night putting sugar in enemy gas tanks

That is so sad. I’m sorry. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member