Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No airshows. I did read about the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels doing flyovers over some cities. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Navy Blue Angels, Air Force Thunderbirds slated to conduct flyovers as a thank-you to COVID-19 responders

Both demonstration teams are set to flyover cities including Washington, Baltimore, New York, Newark, Trenton, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Austin, per the memo. Separately, the Blue Angels will conduct flyovers in at least 13 other cities while the Thunderbirds will fly over at least another eight cities independently.

Navy Blue Angels, Air Force Thunderbirds slated to conduct flyovers as a thank-you to COVID-19 responders

This was posted in my hometown on April 22nd. I have not read why

POSTPONED--Good Morning Fair Haven Residents, Early this afternoon, there will be a fly over by the Blue Angels & Thunderbirds. This planes will be departing the Joint Base McGuire/Dix/Lakehurst. The planes will be doing a flyby in their formation at area hospitals for a display of National Unity amidst the Coronavirus pandemic. Please do not be alarmed by the noise or level that these jets will be flying.

I think it is UV light from the sun that was specifically mentioned. Not sure it was just "heat."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

jmo

You're not wrong. And it's not the same UV that's emitted by tanning beds, as I understand it. I think tanning beds do UV-A and UV-B (the rays that cause tanning/skin damage - a subject that I'm keenly interested in, ha). It's UV-C that can sterilize quickly and has been used to sterilize such things as taxi interiors (a really good idea, right?)

Ultraviolet LEDs prove effective in eliminating coronavirus from surfaces and, potentially, air and water

It's also used to sterilize hospital rooms in some places (UV-C). They use a special kind of UV-C emitting LED light, as I understand it. A tanning bed could, I suppose, also emit UV-C, but I'd contact the manufacturer and ask whether they claim their bed does this. I doubt it, as it doesn't tan anyone.

Heat + UV-C (both of which are helpfully provided by the sun, especially around 10 am - 3 am) seem to do the trick. Humidity diminishes the effect. So we shall soon see whether the beach goers expected to flock to SoCal's few open beaches this weekend (it's gonna be hot) will soon give us some data.

<modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped> I did get a flu shot this year - which I normally don't - maybe one other time? and as many of you know, I went on the last sailing of a RCCL ship in March - we were told on Sunday that it was going to be the last one for awhile. I'm around young and old at work - many who didn't (and still don't) think this is anything more than a cold - and only began to take it seriously when they couldn't get TP - and saw grocery stores limiting food quantities and then the restaurants closed to dining - so they go out every day - grocery, fast food - take out, etc. I'm exposed constantly to whatever germs they bring in - I wonder if my flu shot is protecting me somehow??? I only go to the grocery when I absolutely have to (using a mask, gloves, hand sanitizer, etc) and one splurge of take out dinner since returning from the cruise 6 weeks ago. If I get it- it will be from one of them who brings it to the office from their daily trips out- no remote work allowed. sigh.
JMO

The flu shot protects against several different strains of the influenza virus that are predicted to be in highest circulation in the coming flu season.

It's kinda like a key and lock thing. So a vaccine for a particular influenza strain won't even work against every 'flu'. It definitely won't protect against something which isn't just a different type of influenza but not even influenza. This Covid has similar symptoms to flu, but it's not caused by the same virus, or even the same virus family. So the key and lock analogy, they're just not going to fit together, and that means it wouldn't have any effect.

But I love people asking questions like this, people feeling safe to ask questions like this as they truly want to know the answer!

Last edited by a moderator:
An attack last month in East Vancouver that police say was racist has shone a light on not just the challenges people of Asian descent face during the COVID-19 pandemic, but also on the unresolved racism simmering in society.

Assault on elderly man in Vancouver a hate crime: VPD

Looks like they've got a good photo of the perpetrator, so they should be able to find him, with the public's help. What a sad story.

Last night I saw a post about nicotine patches being tried on COVID patients. I said eek! Going to order from Amazon now.
They just freaking showed up! Less than 24 hours.
Wow! I am shocked!
I stopped smoking in November, I will be able to stop the patches in about 4 weeks, maybe less.
How the heck did they arrive so quickly?
I've been waiting for masks for 5 weeks!
Moo

Last night I saw a post about nicotine patches being tried on COVID patients. I said eek! Going to order from Amazon now.
They just freaking showed up! Less than 24 hours.
Wow! I am shocked!
I stopped smoking in November, I will be able to stop the patches in about 4 weeks, maybe less.
How the heck did they arrive so quickly?
I've been waiting for masks for 5 weeks!
Moo
Amazon website IIRC says it is sending priority items ahead of non-priority items. I would guess that nicotine made the priority list because of its importance to people who use it instead of smoking. Just a guess.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members