Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cartoonists around the world take on a global pandemic

Ironic clever humour.

I'm confused as to why the US still has people using pens to sign for card purchases. I always assumed, as Visa and Mastercard are American companies, that you'd be way ahead with the technology. I haven't used a pen in a shop for probably 15 years.

This article is from 2014:
Why is the US a decade behind Europe on 'chip and pin' cards? | Heather Long
I almost never sign anything with a pen. I can't remember the last time....but occasionally a very small shop, will have the old fashioned type set up.

Coronavirus: Deaths linked to COVID-19 have fallen to six-week low, official figures show

The number of deaths linked to coronavirus in the UK has fallen to its lowest level in six weeks, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics.

It said 4,210 deaths involving COVID-19 were registered in England and Wales in the seven days to Friday 15 May.

The is the lowest total since week ending 3 April, when 3,801 coronavirus-related deaths were registered.

The ONS said the percentage of deaths involving coronavirus "continued to decrease across all English regions".

The highest regional number of COVID-19 deaths - 620 - was in the North West for the second consecutive week.

In Wales, 180 deaths were registered in the week to 15 May, accounting for 23.3% of the total.

Across England and Wales as a whole, the number of fatalities from all causes was 14,573.

That is 3,380 lower than a fortnight before, but 4,385 more than the five-year average.

Between 28 December and 15 May, the ONS said there were 41,220 deaths with coronavirus registered in the two countries.

The greatest number of such fatalities continues to be in those aged 90 and over.

In the week to 15 May, 37.2% of deaths in care homes involved COVID-19.

UK-wide, the number of deaths registered in the seven days to 15 May was 16,366, of which 4,210 involved COVID-19, the ONS said.

Just wanted to say we had a great visit with family today. We wore our masks and stayed at least 6 feet apart. It rained but no thunder or lightening so we sat outside with them in the rain. Our granddaughter came running toward us then stopped so fast she almost fell forward. Her eyes filled with tears then Mamaw started crying too. Then our grandson air hugged both of us. The rain stopped before we ate. Everyone talked and laughed. It was a very good day, rain and all.

*happy dance* for Tillicum's happy day! Good for you in making memories.

You're Getting Used to Masks. Will You Wear a Face Shield?

May 25, 2020, 8:04 AM EDT
7ea40c1c5e9e51918cbc4abd891724a0

Perencevich is an infectious disease physician at the University of Iowa and the Iowa City Veterans Affairs Health Care System. In an opinion article published last month in JAMA, he and two colleagues argued that simple, clear plastic face shields could help reduce the transmission of infections when added to public health measures like increased testing, contact tracing, social distancing and hand hygiene.

Perencevich believes that face shields should be the preferred personal protective equipment of everyone for the same reason that health care workers use them: They protect the entire face, including the eyes, and prevent people from touching their faces or inadvertently exposing themselves to the coronavirus.
But face shields are so freaking HOT. It is stifling. There is no cool air---just HOT air.

I tried one briefly and couldn't stand it. But this is Southern Cali and it is very hot here.

Coronavirus: Deaths linked to COVID-19 have fallen to six-week low, official figures show

The number of deaths linked to coronavirus in the UK has fallen to its lowest level in six weeks, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics.

It said 4,210 deaths involving COVID-19 were registered in England and Wales in the seven days to Friday 15 May.

The is the lowest total since week ending 3 April, when 3,801 coronavirus-related deaths were registered.

The ONS said the percentage of deaths involving coronavirus "continued to decrease across all English regions".

The highest regional number of COVID-19 deaths - 620 - was in the North West for the second consecutive week.

In Wales, 180 deaths were registered in the week to 15 May, accounting for 23.3% of the total.

Across England and Wales as a whole, the number of fatalities from all causes was 14,573.

That is 3,380 lower than a fortnight before, but 4,385 more than the five-year average.

Between 28 December and 15 May, the ONS said there were 41,220 deaths with coronavirus registered in the two countries.

The greatest number of such fatalities continues to be in those aged 90 and over.

In the week to 15 May, 37.2% of deaths in care homes involved COVID-19.

UK-wide, the number of deaths registered in the seven days to 15 May was 16,366, of which 4,210 involved COVID-19, the ONS said.

Thanks for those figures but they sure are confusing.

So it looks like they are two weeks behind the daily counts that come out.

Also the 41k CV19 deaths are England and Wales only but are more than the totals being published daily.

If there is a two week lag in ONS figures, I do wonder why they aren't less not more.

The only certain statistic seems to be that CV19 deaths are about 25% of all deaths. ( " UK-wide, the number of deaths registered in the seven days to 15 May was 16,366, of which 4,210 involved COVID-19, the ONS said." )

I'm sure it will all be explained eventually.

Thanks. There are 41 cases in my zip. I don’t see the total population or a death count by zip though.

This is from Worldometers

Arizona 16,561 cases 806 deaths

Looks like a death rate of about 5%. So likely 2 deaths from 41 cases. MOO.

Just wanted to say we had a great visit with family today. We wore our masks and stayed at least 6 feet apart. It rained but no thunder or lightening so we sat outside with them in the rain. Our granddaughter came running toward us then stopped so fast she almost fell forward. Her eyes filled with tears then Mamaw started crying too. Then our grandson air hugged both of us. The rain stopped before we ate. Everyone talked and laughed. It was a very good day, rain and all.

So glad it went well. And also to other posters who got out and about yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member