Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #64

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think if you can get it through your eyes, many more people would be contracting the virus. A mask obviously doesn't cover your eyes and no public health officials are telling people to wear shields. There is just so much we don't know ---
I'm pretty sure you can get it through your eyes. One thing they always warned about was 'touching' your eyes before washing your hands.

I have always worn eye protection with my mask when I leave my house. If droplets can get in my throat and mouth, I imagine they could enter through my eyes as well....

I picked up two KN95's but maybe I should've got more. I just assumed it was counterfeit lol.
They probably are. But I think even if they don't pass all the standards, you can do some simple home tests to see if they are poor quality or not (of course if you get it wet, you shouldn't use it anymore).
I mean, nobody is doing NIOSH testing on cloth masks regular folks are supposed to wear, so who knows what they are filtering. And depending on material and fit, some are filtering very little. But that's just my own opinion.

Thirteen Minnesota children have been found to have a worrisome inflammatory condition believed to be related to COVID-19, state officials said Wednesday.

Multi-system inflammatory syndrome was confirmed in the children, who developed symptoms between mid-May and mid-June; their average age was 5, and most had no prior medical problems, Dr. Ruth Lynfield, the state’s epidemiologist, told reporters.

COVID-19: Inflammatory condition surfaces in 13 MN kids

Coronavirus cases in California continue to skyrocket, reaching 9,740 in a single day —by far the highest recorded in the state since the beginning of the pandemic, according to data from the California Public Health Department.

Today’s case report smashed the previous high of 7,149 set one week ago today.

The total number of cases in California is roughly 232,657.

Coronavirus pandemic: The latest updates from around the world

Yeah, it's not good here in California. I don't know what people are thinking. Interestingly, in my county, while we had 180 new cases yesterday (and ~135 per day for 3 days before that), we had been at 20-30 cases per day for a long time...almost none of the new cases were in the over-65 population. Way higher numbers of cases in children (there were few cases in kids until end of last week).

Biggest increase was in the 25-44 group, as predicted. With almost no elderly in the ICU, we still had an increase in use of ICU beds (up from 14 to 32, in just one week). We've averaged about 10-15 ICU beds per day since beginning of April, so 32 is significant (but no where near capacity yet).

We are now doubling our cases about every 10 days, and the rest of California has faster doubling rates (8 days in Marin County as the virus has escaped San Quentin and is now going into community spread - affecting a couple of different counties). San Quentin is interesting, as it was virus free until they transferred prisoners from another facility where cases were rising - they think only one man had it. Now 600 have it and rising (and something like 100 staff).

UK has "adequate supplies" of remdesivir, top medical official says

The UK has “adequate supplies” of the antiviral drug remdesivir, England’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam told lawmakers Wednesday.

Van-Tam was speaking to the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee after the United States bought 100% of the production of the drug, which has been shown to have some effect against coronavirus.

He said that although quantities of the drug will be “less plentiful” and “less easy to obtain,” the UK has “adequate supplies” of the treatment drug.

The UK has not yet conducted its own formal assessment of the drug, which has been recommended for European authorization by the European Medicines Agency.

Van-Tam said the UK Task Force had been keeping “a very close eye” on the progress of trials elsewhere. Remdesivir is currently available for emergency use by clinicians in UK hospitals.

He also spoke of the UK’s successful clinical trials of the steroid dexamethasone, saying that the government task force made the decision to gather supplies weeks before a successful outcome to put the UK “in the best possible position.”

Van-Tam called the dexamethasone trials “the most dramatic success in terms of active success and rapid recruitment,” hailing the drug as an “extremely cheap” and “accessible” form of treatment.

“Depending on which medicine you discover works for Covid-19, if it’s one of the ones that is already licensed for something else, then it tends to be plentifully available. But if it’s something brand spanking new from a developer it is likely to be in short supply in the first instance,” he added.

well this is better news than what I saw... I hope this is the case for other countries as well... IF their is a second wave in countries that have come way way down in cases, the availability of the remdesivir would really help keep the numbers down...

Yes, you are also right. There is some protection from any covering of the face. I was not specific enough, but lots of people think the masks are protecting them more than they actually are. Social distancing seems more effective, IMO.

They're both important, especially if using the 6 foot rule. If not using a mask, increase to 10-12 feet, I'd say.

Face shields are not likely to be good enough by themselves. Doctors wearing them on top of masks, not instead of masks. Considering they tested masks and bandanas, and bandanas did much worse in preventing spread of droplets because they have an opening at the bottom, I don't see faceshields preventing covid well enough.

Right - face shields alone are not enough, especially indoors. Must be combined with a mask.

Odd, isn’t it, that a lump of stone holds more value to some than a real, warm, breathing life.
I don't see the Lincoln Memorial or the Memorial for the Unknown Soldier equal to a lump of stone.

And I don't see how legislation to protect and preserve these creations affects Covid 19 in any way.

“If each person in Arizona understands that there may not be a bed for them, maybe they will put on that mask,..."

HonorHealth nurse describes dire circumstances in ERs and ICUs | Coronavirus in Arizona | azfamily.com
HonorHealth nurse describes dire circumstances in ERs and ICUs

I saw a segment of Phoenix News (ABC I think) where each hospital is asked to have a triage plan. The rules are similar to what ended up happening in New York. The nurse and doctor explaining it said:

"If you have 2 patients with CoVid and they need the ICU and one is a 26 year old single mother and the other is a 60 year old mother whose children are grown and launched, you choose the 26 year old."

I agree, those factors are probably the culprit. But, at the end of the day, measures that make sense medically, are not sustainable economically or socially.

- Economic shutdowns are simply not sustainable given the fact that most people do not have the luxury of working from home. States cannot afford to pay benefits indefinitely and the benefits that can be paid will not replace lost wages. Many of those unable to work from home must work continuously to provide for basic needs.

- Though some social controls are possible in democratic societies, they have their limits. Even enforcing mask orders is problematic. Banning activities at private homes is simply not sustainable.

In the end, a lot of hard questions with no easy answers, and no solution in sight.

It's a really horrible situation which doesn't seem winnable no matter what we do. Yeah, the government is unlikely to just support everyone for who knows how long to stay home. However it's not sustainable to prioritize the economy over spread of the virus either. But we don't seem to be able to open up and participate in society to a manageable degree while also limiting spread. Now I mean if everyone took measures like masks and strict social distancing it seems we could theoretically keep a lot more open. But overwhelming the hospitals isn't really a viable option here. We have got to come up with some happy medium where we aren't totally just sticking our heads in the sand collectively till we also collectively freak out from the results. Clearly the governors of my state and others are getting worried because the way they wanted to handle it is not having the desired results.

Our restaurants (ON) recently opened to outside patio seating only. I don't see how inside seating can possibly be safe, especially if the numbers of people allowed inside is so random. You could be just starting into your meal when you sense that the place is too populated for your comfort. And how is the average person to know when it's too crowded? They can't calculate the square footage, or understand how many air exchanges per hour the ventilation system can handle, or see what goes on in the kitchen, or predict how many more people will be seated in the next half hour.

See that is the difference. Restaurants in FL have been opened for a long time. And they get jammed every night where I live. I went to one about a month ago...outside, but I was facing the beach so did not notice the gargantuan crowd behind me! Masked servers kept dropping their masks, and most of people were wearing no masks at all. And all of hotels had also opened up and were full of people from out of state.... I counted those 14 days!!
But we have had at least 6 restaurants that have had to close down with cases, and they just close for a day, do a deep clean (we think so anyway), and they reopen again.

In Florida, it really was like just turn on the switch and totally back to the old normal.

It's a really horrible situation which doesn't seem winnable no matter what we do. Yeah, the government is unlikely to just support everyone for who knows how long to stay home. However it's not sustainable to prioritize the economy over spread of the virus either. But we don't seem to be able to open up and participate in society to a manageable degree while also limiting spread. Now I mean if everyone took measures like masks and strict social distancing it seems we could theoretically keep a lot more open. But overwhelming the hospitals isn't really a viable option here. We have got to come up with some happy medium where we aren't totally just sticking our heads in the sand collectively till we also collectively freak out from the results. Clearly the governors of my state and others are getting worried because the way they wanted to handle it is not having the desired results.
When states started to open, many of us here were predicting that it will lead to an increase in infections. And sure enough it did. Unfortunately many people think that if state is opening up, they can go back to their regular ways and virus is gone. So we had a bunch of people going back to their pre-covid ways and here is a result.

See that is the difference. Restaurants in FL have been opened for a long time. And they get jammed every night where I live. I went to one about a month ago...outside, but I was facing the beach so did not notice the gargantuan crowd behind me! Masked servers kept dropping their masks, and most of people were wearing no masks at all. And all of hotels had also opened up and were full of people from out of state.... I counted those 14 days!!
But we have had at least 6 restaurants that have had to close down with cases, and they just close for a day, do a deep clean (we think so anyway), and they reopen again.

In Florida, it really was like just turn on the switch and totally back to the old normal.
Only it's not because infections are going through the roof.

People who keep posting about protests-I don't think any of us here were claiming that protests during the pandemic are a great idea, no matter what the cause is. Did any of us here advocate for protesting during the pandemic? But I really don't think huge spikes in infection we are seeing in many states can be attributed to protests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocturnal1