Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still don't know how the elderly will react to the vaccine --- that is very important.
Loads have signed up to test vaccines.

COVID-19 vaccine trials attract more than 138,600 US volunteers

" "That’s why we’re optimistic that we’re going to be able to get the trials enrolled in an expeditious way. I think we can do what we need to do,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

The milestone was reached just a week after the National Institutes of Health launched a clinical trial network for vaccines and other prevention tools to fight the pandemic.

More are still needed, but the initial surge will go a long way toward filling the requirement for at least 30,000 volunteers each for the four companies that plan to launch Phase 3 clinical trials of their potential vaccines by early fall.

Together, the Moderna, Pfizer BioNTech, AstraZeneca and Inovio trials will require at least 120,000 volunteers.

“I would say it’s very encouraging at this stage,” said Barry Bloom, an immunologist and vaccine expert who is a professor of public health at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health.

'No one is safe until everyone is safe':Vaccine nationalism threatens global coronavirus effort

Regulation: FDA says a coronavirus vaccine would have to be at least 50% effective to be approved

Vaccine countdown: We're one-third of the way to a widely available coronavirus vaccine, experts say

Hundreds of clinical trials for drugs, medical devices and vaccines are going on across the United States at any one time, but most are relatively small. Putting together four large trials at the same time, with even more planned to come online later in the fall and winter, is a massive undertaking.

It doesn’t just require volunteers but also a robust complement of clinics, hospitals and medical centers around the nation with staff and physicians experienced in running clinical trials.

To make that happen, the NIH launched the COVID-19 Prevention Trials Network, merging four existing clinical trial networks. It launched on July 8 with a website where volunteers can sign up.

The network builds on decades worth of work creating clinical trial networks that goes back to the AIDS epidemic in the late 1980s, Fauci said.

“It would take literally years to build up a network that I’ve build up over the last 30 years. So why do it? We’re going to use what we have,” he said.

People chosen to take part will be racially, ethnically and geographically diverse. In its guidance for companies testing possible vaccines, the Food and Drug Administration says it wants the vaccine candidates to be tested in populations most affected by COVID-19, including ethnic and racial minorities, pregnant women, the elderly and people with underlying medical conditions that can worsen COVID-19."

Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine research studies - NHS

Vaccines are the most effective way to prevent infectious diseases.

They're designed so they do not give people the infection they're protecting against.

Research into vaccines is the only way to find out which vaccines will work. Researchers need people to take part in their studies so they can find out which possible new vaccine works best.

Information:
On this page you can sign up to be contacted about taking part in approved UK coronavirus vaccine studies. This means you'll be joining the COVID-19 vaccine research registry.

What's involved in vaccine studies
Vaccines are tested to make sure they're safe before being tested in people. If you take part in a vaccine study, you may or may not be offered the vaccine.

You'll need to visit the hospital, or other research site, a few times over 6 to 12 months.

At these visits, you'll usually:

• be told about the research study
  • have the chance to ask any questions
  • have blood tests
Between visits, you'll be asked to tell the research team about any symptoms you have. You may need to do some things at home, like take a throat and nose swab every week, or keep a diary.

Who runs coronavirus vaccine studies
In England, the research partner of the NHS is the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). The NIHR is working with equivalent NHS research partners in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales on vaccine studies.

If you sign up to be contacted about vaccine studies, only researchers on studies approved by NIHR will be able to contact you.

There are currently 2 national coronavirus vaccine studies approved by NIHR in the UK, run by the University of Oxford and Imperial College London.

You can find out more about taking part in these vaccine studies at NIHR's Be Part of Research website.

There are strict rules on safety and confidentiality that all health research, including vaccine studies, must follow.

How do I sign up?
You can sign up online.

We'll ask you some questions about yourself, and then ask your permission for researchers on the vaccine studies to contact you.

If you sign up, your details will be kept secure. They'll only be shared with researchers who think you might be suitable for a study they're working on.

The researchers will then contact you to tell you more about it.

You do not have to talk to researchers or take part in a study. It's your choice. If you sign up, you can withdraw your permission at any time.

If you have questions about signing up, see get help with signing up to be contacted for coronavirus vaccine research.

Take part in research

I am interested in who on here would be willing to sign up? I think I might.

Last edited:
Coronavirus reaches remote Massachusetts island
Massachusetts/more at link

The coronavirus pandemic has reached the smallest and one of the most isolated towns in Massachusetts.
A seasonal resident of Cuttyhunk Island, one of several small islands that make up the town of Gosnold, tested positive for COVID-19 last week, Select Board member Gail Blout told the Cape Cod Times.

The woman, who had been on-island for a little over a week, went to the mainland to get tested and was confirmed positive on Wednesday, Blout said.

She said 25 test kits were sent to the island on Friday and administered by a visiting doctor from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston to people who came into close contact with the woman. Results are expected next week and all of the people who were tested are self-isolating.
The island between Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay has about 20 year-round residents, according to the town’s website. That normally swells to about 400 during the summer.

Perhaps a wrong number from Chad and Lori's portals from prison trying to gather the 144,000 for tomorrow?

Day here has started well. I'm back into my garden at sunrise in the front picking flowers and making arrangements for neighbors. The daisies are doing very well, just bursting with joy they are. Yarrow (all colors!) are filling in. Lantana is attracting the bees and has filled in the space, they love this hot dry weather. Encore azaleas are starting their encore bloom! I have over 35 of them on a slope and they are gorgeous when all in sync. That is my COVID mental health update.

Oh, one more thing. I'm going out for the first time to someone's home today, and old friend and her hubby that always brings me joy to be around as they are always so upbeat and positive folks. I live in a zip with low rate.. and we are going to do only outside social distance bbq. Just the couple and myself in their outside back. Wish me luck. I will, as you know, take all precautions. Just for mental well being I accepted their invitation (they called last week and I broke down crying due to isolation since mid Feb as an old single lady... so they demanded I come over for dinner, with precautions...) I'm looking forward to it.

I hope you have a lovely time and everyone stays safe! We had some friends and family over for an outdoor bbq when our numbers were low and had stayed steady and low for weeks. Thankfully everyone was ok. But we are back to staying home since the numbers are terrible here now in GA.

Perhaps a wrong number from Chad and Lori's portals from prison trying to gather the 144,000 for tomorrow?

Day here has started well. I'm back into my garden at sunrise in the front picking flowers and making arrangements for neighbors. The daisies are doing very well, just bursting with joy they are. Yarrow (all colors!) are filling in. Lantana is attracting the bees and has filled in the space, they love this hot dry weather. Encore azaleas are starting their encore bloom! I have over 35 of them on a slope and they are gorgeous when all in sync. That is my COVID mental health update.

Oh, one more thing. I'm going out for the first time to someone's home today, and old friend and her hubby that always brings me joy to be around as they are always so upbeat and positive folks. I live in a zip with low rate.. and we are going to do only outside social distance bbq. Just the couple and myself in their outside back. Wish me luck. I will, as you know, take all precautions. Just for mental well being I accepted their invitation (they called last week and I broke down crying due to isolation since mid Feb as an old single lady... so they demanded I come over for dinner, with precautions...) I'm looking forward to it.
I'm in virtual heaven with the scents from your lovely flowers. I'm particularly partial to yarrow and love daisies as well. Your imagery is vividly pleasant.

Back in my yard (I'm at the Shore for a few days again) DH has the chore of watering all the flowers in the garden, watering the tomato and pepper plants, and also watering all the various hanging baskets. It's been so hot that this needs to be done every day, and I panic thinking he will miss one of my favorites. The impatiens and the fuchsia are extremely sensitive to lack of water. I am lucky that he tries his best to find them all and is usually successful.

The bird feeders are normally wanting when I get back, but at least the 2 cats have food and water. Enjoy your flower picking and your barbecue. Stay cool...and safe.

I guess that is why there is a review on how it is being done. All cases of Covid have to be reported initially as it is a reportable disease. If they died of another cause (not if they died of Covid after 28 days) is the issue here I believe.

It might have just been bad reporting, but it sounded as though all deaths that occurred after 28 days (God rest their souls) would not be included in the list of CoVid deaths.

However, I know that the UK has a good reporting system and a reliable Public Health unit, plus there is no reason to cover up data, so I'm not really concerned. Many countries will be adjusting their reports in the coming months as better information becomes available and workers have had time to assess their reporting procedures.

In a world with so much distrust, it's good to know that there are some countries that will have solid data.

It might have just been bad reporting, but it sounded as though all deaths that occurred after 28 days (God rest their souls) would not be included in the list of CoVid deaths.

However, I know that the UK has a good reporting system and a reliable Public Health unit, plus there is no reason to cover up data, so I'm not really concerned. Many countries will be adjusting their reports in the coming months as better information becomes available and workers have had time to assess their reporting procedures.

In a world with so much distrust, it's good to know that there are some countries that will have solid data.
No it is just the England deaths that have been reported in a different (higher) manner than the other 3 nations and that was how it came to light, I believe. I'll repost once we hear the review results.

Here's the latest link for the BBC UK and EU news.

Coronavirus updates: EU leaders hail massive recovery deal - BBC News

Last edited:
No White House coronavirus task force members currently expected at Trump's briefing

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that he and Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House's coronavirus response coordinator, have still not been told whether they will be in attendance at Tuesday's 5 p.m. ET briefing at the White House.

US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams said Tuesday that details on who will attend the briefing are still being worked out.

"They are still figuring that out," Adams said when asked if he, Fauci and Birx will be attending the briefing.

Just curious why you would think the Swedish method, which has one of the highest death rates in the world, is preferrable to the Norway method, which has one of the lowest death rates in the world?

Because just comparing the number of Covid deaths from one country to the next is not looking at the big picture. Here's an article that states, "More than 200,000 people could die because of delays in healthcare and other economic and social effects all caused by lockdown, a government report has warned.

The great majority of the deaths – 185,000 – are attributed to an extended wait for treatment in the longer term."

"The figures equate to nearly one million years of life lost unnecessarily, in the worst-case scenario outlined in the report."

"With lockdown measures in place and hospital priorities shifted, patients have likely missed out on life-saving care for heart attacks and strokes and early diagnoses of diabetes and kidney disease.

The University of Oxford discovered just last week that 5,000 fewer heart attack patients had attended hospital between March and May.

The report – published in April but largely overlooked until now – has added credence to the view that patients with serious illnesses unrelated to coronavirus have been neglected during the pandemic."

"It comes after the most recent NHS performance statistics showed the number of patients admitted for routine ops has dropped 82 per cent in a year.

Shocking data showed only 54,550 patients were admitted for treatment in May — a fraction of the 295,000 recorded this time last year."

This article is about the UK, but the same situation applies closer to home in the US - much closer.

My next door neighbor's step-mother died in May during the coronavirus lockdown, but she didn't die from Covid, she died from cancer. She was being treated for the cancer and she was doing well. The lockdown disrupted her treatment and she died.

She would likely still be alive if not for the lockdown.

By their own admission Sweden's failure has been in not protecting the elderly in care homes. Of course Sweden is not alone. US states like New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut also failed to protect their elderly care home patients despite having strict lockdowns.

"Care home residents account for nearly half of deaths linked to Covid-19 in Sweden. Some healthcare workers believe an institutional reluctance to admit patients to hospital is costing lives."

Sweden Admits A 'Big Failure' To Prevent Elderly Deaths From Coronavirus As Toll Passes 3,000 With 90% Of Victims Over 70

Readout from the Vice President's Governors Briefing on COVID-19 Response & Best Practices | The White House

Issued on: July 20, 2020

Today, Vice President Mike Pence led a discussion with the chief executives of approximately 50 States, territories, and the city of Washington, DC, and the White House Coronavirus Task Force to discuss local, State, and Federal Coronavirus response and recovery best practices.

Vice President Pence reiterated that the Administration is taking serious the recent outbreaks in certain Sun Belt states and offered the full and unqualified support of the Federal government to any State that starts to see initial indications of a rise in test positivity rate and new cases as was the case in Texas, Arizona, and Florida. The Vice President discussed best practices with our Nation’s governors on limiting Coronavirus spread, including encouraging Americans to adhere to state and local guidelines and to wear face coverings when social distancing cannot be maintained. The Vice President and Governors also discussed the upcoming Congressional negotiations and the Administration’s priorities for a Coronavirus relief package including, but not limited to additional assistance for businesses and American workers, incentivizing a return to employment, greater flexibility for States, liability protections, a payroll tax cut, and additional State support for reopening K-12 schools in a safe and responsible manner.

Ambassador Birx thanked the governors of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina and recapped the findings of recent trips to those States to receive a Coronavirus ground report. Dr. Birx indicated that many of those States are experiencing a decline in test positivity rate and new cases after implementing measures to slow the spread of Coronavirus.

Secretary Azar and Ambassador Birx reiterated the call for hospital data reporting and the need for transparency. Federal officials have been working with hospitals and state leaders to improve reporting for months and last week underscored the need for timely data reporting that our citizens demand and deserve. Since last week, daily reporting by our Nation’s hospitals increased by 67%. With engaged leadership by governors, we are confident the remaining reporting gap can be closed very quickly. Secretary Azar also announced the launch of a public health data dashboard, HealthData.gov.

Director Fauci underscored the call for State and local officials to continue implementing fundamental actions to slow the spread.

Administrator Verma and Admiral Giroir provided an update on nursing homes and protecting the most vulnerable, testing needs, and pooling best practices.

Live | The White House

Upcoming Events
11:00 AM EDT
Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany Holds a Press Briefing
The White House
SHARE:
5:00 PM EDT
President Trump Holds a News Conference
The White House
SHARE:

Coronavirus
reaches remote Massachusetts island

Massachusetts/more at link

The coronavirus pandemic has reached the smallest and one of the most isolated towns in Massachusetts.
A seasonal resident of Cuttyhunk Island, one of several small islands that make up the town of Gosnold, tested positive for COVID-19 last week, Select Board member Gail Blout told the Cape Cod Times.

The woman, who had been on-island for a little over a week, went to the mainland to get tested and was confirmed positive on Wednesday, Blout said.

She said 25 test kits were sent to the island on Friday and administered by a visiting doctor from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston to people who came into close contact with the woman. Results are expected next week and all of the people who were tested are self-isolating.
The island between Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay has about 20 year-round residents, according to the town’s website. That normally swells to about 400 during the summer.

Wow. It only takes one.....:(

Guessing she didn’t have symptoms until she got on the island.

The surge in US cases has left labs overwhelmed and Covid-19 tests delayed

"We really do need to improve our turnaround times, primarily in areas and counties of outbreaks," Adm. Brett Giroir, a White House coronavirus task force member, said.

The delays come even as labs work to scale up their capacity, Quest Diagnostics said in a news release. Demand is even higher in the South, Southwest and West regions of the US, Quest said.

And the pandemic is still in its early stages, said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

Just wanted to update on my son's wedding last week. The chairs were arranged so that each household was sitting 6 feet from the others. We had masks just in case but it wasn't necessary to wear them. 92 degrees, bright sun outdoors and it was hot! The ceremony was simple but beautiful and I think everyone shed a tear or two. After six days, no one is sick. It can be done safely as long as we follow the guidelines.

I love my new daughter and grandsons :)

President Donald Trump has said he's pressuring governors to reopen classrooms.

On Tuesday, US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams said the country needs to lower the transmission rate to reopen schools.

"The biggest determinant of whether or not we can go back to school actually has little to nothing to do with the actual schools -- it's your background transmission rate. And it's why we've told people constantly that if we want to get back to school, to worship, to regular life -- folks need to wear face coverings, folks need to practice social distancing. Those public health measures are actually what's going to lower the transmission rate."

Adams added that lowering the transmission rate will also help keep teachers and the adults that live with school-age children safe. "We know the risk is low to the actual students. But we know they can transmit to others. ... We need to take measures to make sure we protect those who are vulnerable either because they are older or they have chronic medical conditions."

The surge in US cases has left labs overwhelmed and Covid-19 tests delayed

Newark NJ mayor calls for temperature checks for airport travelers coming from coronavirus hotspots

Newark Mayor Ras Baraka is asking state and federal officials to require temperature checks at Newark Liberty International Airport for travelers arriving from the 22 states designated by Gov. Phil Murphy as high-risk coronavirus areas.

Baraka also wants passengers to be quarantined if they have coronavirus symptoms and fill out forms for potential contact tracing, according to a news release.

“Here in Newark, we have worked with fury and diligence to contain this virus and our daily number of new cases have fallen to single digits, if at all. As COVID-19 cases and death spike in other parts of the country, it is important we keep the virus here manageable to protect our residents. I’d like to see the airport be a first-line of defense,” Baraka said in a statement.

He said the city is concerned about Newark residents who work at the airport and come in contact with arriving passengers who could potentially have the virus.

“Going to work should not put them at further risk,” Baraka said.

EU leaders strike 'historic' $2 trillion deal to rebuild Europe's economy

European leaders have agreed to create a €750 billion ($858 billion) recovery fund to rebuild EU economies ravaged by the coronavirus crisis.

The European Commission will borrow the money on financial markets and distribute just under half of it — €390 billion euros ($446 billion) — as grants to the hardest hit EU states, with the rest provided as loans. Leaders also agreed a new EU budget of nearly €1.1 trillion ($1.3 trillion) for 2021-2027, creating combined spending power of about €1.8 trillion ($2 trillion).

Mosquito non-transmission

Date: Fri 17 Jul 2020

Source: Nature Scientific Reports [edited]

SARS-CoV-2 failure to infect or replicate in mosquitoes: an extreme challenge | Scientific Reports

ref: Huang YS, Vanlandingham DL, Bilyeu AN, et al. SARS-CoV-2 failure

to infect or replicate in mosquitoes: an extreme challenge. Sci Rep.

2020; 10(1): 11915. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-68882-7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstract

--------

This research addresses public speculation that SARS-CoV-2 might be

transmitted by mosquitoes. The World Health Organization has stated

"To date there has been no information nor evidence to suggest that

the new coronavirus could be transmitted by mosquitoes." Here we

provide the 1st experimental data to investigate the capacity of

SARS-CoV-2 to infect and be transmitted by mosquitoes including tests

of 3 widely distributed species of mosquito; _Aedes aegypti_, _A

albopictus
_, and _Culex quinquefasciatus_, representing the 2 most

significant genera of arbovirus vectors that infect people.

We demonstrate that even under extreme conditions, SARS-CoV-2 virus is

unable to replicate in these mosquitoes and therefore cannot be

transmitted to people even in the unlikely event that a mosquito fed

upon a viremic host.

[more at link]

Note: Although the tests indicated SARS-CoV-2 virus was unable to replicate

in 3 common vector mosquitoes of 2 different genera, one cannot

arbitrarily rule out susceptibility of all human-biting mosquitoes in

localities where infected people are found.

However, the results of

the test above do strongly suggest that mosquitoes in general are not

susceptible to infection by this virus. This should end speculation

about mosquito biological transmission of SARS-CoV-2 virus being

epidemiologically significant.

Mechanical ("flying pin") transmission

by interrupted mosquito feeding would require very high viremias in

infected individuals, probably 10^6-7 or more and for which there is

no evidence, followed almost immediately by feeding on a susceptible

person. Attention should be turned to other modes of virus

transmission.

BBM & SBM

Customer threw doughnuts at worker who asked her to wear mask, shop says

A man and woman were waiting to receive their food when a supervisor asked them to wear their masks, which are required inside businesses in the city of El Paso, Texas. The request angered the woman, who threw her box of doughnuts at her and asked for their money back. When the manager refused, the man took a mug from a store shelf without paying for it, and the couple left.

They aren't the first customers to balk at the rule. "There are always those people that like to get confrontational with you, even if it's just verbally, and they'll say, 'Fine, I'll just leave home without doughnuts today,'" the supervisor said. "And I'll say, 'That's fine; I'm just trying to keep my employees and customers safe as possible.'"

New York governor pledges aid to Georgia city during visit

New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo flew to Georgia, pledging to help Savannah's Mayor Van Johnson fight COVID-19, saying New York is interested in what’s happening in other parts of the country because infected people from other states are likely to spread virus cases in New York. Cuomo has previously promised to aid Atlanta and Houston. He portrayed his mission as an effort to help overcome political divisions on how to fight COVID-19

Cuomo also backed mask use, saying that “somehow in this crazy partisan world we’ve even politicized a virus.”

“I wear the mask because I respect you,” he said. “You wear the mask because you respect me.”

Cuomo delivered masks, test kits, gowns, face shields and hand sanitizer. He said he would help Savannah set up two new public testing sites aimed at lower-income people and said he would share contact tracing expertise.

“Today’s discussion was about testing, about tracing, and about training,” Johnson, the mayor said. “And, more importantly, it’s about encouragement to a weary city that has been going through this since the beginning of March.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members