Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up:

Article from Tuesday, July 28 re: comments from Dr. Redfield:

"The introduction from Europe happened before we realized what was happening," Redfield said. "By the time we realized (the) Europe threat and shut down travel to Europe, there was probably already two or three weeks of 60,000 people coming back every day from Europe," he added.”

[...]

“By the time the Trump administration banned travelers from Europe, the virus was already spreading in New York City, according to the report. Testing was also limited at the start of the epidemic there, allowing people with undetected cases to spread the virus.

During the ABC interview, Redfield also admitted that there have been problems with the federal response.“

[...]

“The CDC was ready to send in a team of scientists within a week, but the Chinese government refused to let them in, Redfield said, something he has said before and pointed to as a reason the US got a later start in identifying the dangerous virus and taking action.”

—-

Eta:
Iirc, they let WHO in pretty early, moo. I need to go back and check the date on that. I specifically remember Dr. Sylvie talking about the their examinations and findings at the Wuhan market re: evidence of CV on surfaces in one of their early conferences.)

Of course we know the lengths that China went to to hide this virus, suppressing Dr. LW, kidnapping citizens and journalists who were speaking out, censoring SM platforms universally, etc., so this is no surprise imo that China wouldn’t let them in.

IMO, while WHO was accused of being “China-centric”, etc., I think the way that WHO was able to actually get in and try to “learn information” and get teams on the ground was by handling China with kid gloves, jmo. There was no way they were going to get in there and get information from China, etc. if they accused them of not being transparent, hiding the virus, etc. They were trying to work with the very difficult Chinese government to get to the source of the problem. So they did what any good investigator would do. It’s like a hostage negotiator, there are psychological factors at play, and if they would’ve outed China publicly and taken a hostile approach, they wouldn’t have been able to get their investigative teams in, get access to their health data, etc., imo.

Again, this is my personal theory based on studying their words very closely in real time as it was going down live.

Was this their first visit? 20-21 Jan .

Mission summary: WHO Field Visit to Wuhan, China 20-21 January 2020

Some random thoughts and questions:

@Mo Thuairim, could you please bring forward that article about Dr. Mike from your local paper you posted a while back about him being a warrior lol. And also, any other new features about him? Tia.
—-

Are all bleaches created equally?
—-

Something really gross happened to me:

I have these specific indoor shoes I wear. And yes we know floor to mouth transmission is rare, lol. But we do know dirty shoes track germs inside. I’ve also got doggie paws on the floor, which I go to great lengths to keep clean (as I mentioned previously, he too has to sit through the recommended “Happy Birthday” song while I wash his paws :D).

Anyway, I was so focused on grabbing my mask, poopy bags, keys, etc., that I forgot to change my indoor shoes when I went outside. And I walked all over places where others walk (@otto, did we ever learn more about concrete surfaces?), so basically, long story short, I came back in and walked around all over the house with these dirty shoes on for hours.o_O
—-

I mentioned I’ve dropped a lot of weight, 30 lbs. This is because I’ve been rationing, lost my appetite for the most part bc this is all so sickening (weird bc last year when I got some devastating news I drowned myself in ice cream), and have been broke because my entire new business went down the drain which I invested everything in the previous year, anyway:

Well I learned something: I always thought if you lose your weight at a reasonable rate, as I have, just a few pounds a week, that you wouldn’t gain it back as fast. Well, that doesn’t seem to be the case here lol. I got a nice paycheck and treated myself this week for the first time since all this went down to 1 frozen pizza, a few gourmet cheeses, some alcohol, and a bucket of chocolate ice cream. Well I swear I’ve gained at least half of that weight loss back in one week.
—-

Oh yeah, I also wanted to ask you guys:

How are you finding the supply quantities of certain things in your areas? Are you guys finding everything in the stores, or are you seeing any of the reductions that were seen in March, April, etc.? Toilet paper? Meat limits? Etc. I’m just wondering, as I’ve been watching supply chains closely in my area and am VERY focused on being prepared for winter and NOT having to “hit refresh on instacart for 8 hours a day to get a delivery slot”, or see the dreaded “out of stock”. It has taken SO much time and effort to track certain thing down. If online delivery via Walmart doesn’t have it, then I check Target, then I check Kroger, then I check instacart, you get the picture. Even in summer here where numbers are relatively controlled, I still can’t find things I’m looking for. Just wondering if any of you guys were having the same problem in any of your areas. Obviously this would vary based on your virus numbers.

Thankfully Amazon Prime with Whole Foods has turned out to be a blessing lately, and I give it the best marks to date. Sadly, I didn’t have it back then, but I remember @jjenny talking about it.
—-

The other day I was harassed about wearing a mask. I don’t want to go into details but basically it was some young people trying to intimidate me, threatening to come close and joking about it.

Last edited:
We are doing quite well as we plod along with our vaccine development here in South Australia. It is being developed at Flinders University, our medical university.

Our vaccine has now passed through phase one - testing on volunteers from 18 to 65 years old. It has induced antibodies that attack coronavirus and has given no side effects.

It is ready for phase two. Volunteer nursing homes in Victoria's hotspot are under consideration.

Then onto phase three if that is successful - testing in large overseas hotspots, as we don't really have large enough cases here for that kind of testing.

They are saying end of the year release, if all goes well.

Australian COVID-19 vaccine candidate shows positive results in phase one human trials

Last edited:
<RSBM>
The other day I was harassed about wearing a mask. I don’t want to go into details but basically it was some people trying to intimidate me, threatening to come close and joking about it.

This mask harassment is way out of line. Do they harass people who wear face or head scarves for cancer or religious reasons, too?

I am sorry to hear that is happening to people who have every right to protect themselves from those who are not doing the same.

My neighbors are setting up for an yet another all weekend party, complete a houseful of relatives from out of town, most of the neighborhood kids, and basically anyone who wants to come. They get these huge bouncy houses and kids come from all over the neighborhood unsupervised to jump around in them all day long while the adults sit outside getting drunk with bass heavy music cranked up. Trash is everywhere when they’re done. If this one particular house doesn’t cause a neighborhood epidemic I’ll be surprised. Enough ranting :mad:

My neighbors are setting up for an yet another all weekend party, complete a houseful of relatives from out of town, most of the neighborhood kids, and basically anyone who wants to come. They get these huge bouncy houses and kids come from all over the neighborhood unsupervised to jump around in them all day long while the adults sit outside getting drunk with bass heavy music cranked up. Trash is everywhere when they’re done. If this one particular house doesn’t cause a neighborhood epidemic I’ll be surprised. Enough ranting :mad:

Ugh!

Houston doctor tells TV station he's fighting both COVID-19 and stupidity

“One Houston doctor didn't hold back when expressing his frustration and annoyance toward the spike in Texas.

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Joseph Varon, who works at the United Memorial Medical Center in Houston, told KTRK-TV he's fighting two COVID-19 wars, and one is especially hard to treat.

"My motto has been, you know, at the present time, I'm pretty much fighting two wars: a war against COVID and a war against stupidity. And the problem is that the first one I have some hope about winning. But the second one is becoming more and more difficult to treat. Why do I say that? Because people are not listening. Whether it's backed up by science or just plain old common sense, people are not listening throughout the country," Varon told the TV station.

Varon oversees UMMC's COVID-19 unit, and said people choosing to completely disobey the guidance put forth by health officials — you know, like wearing a mask and social distancing — makes the fight that much harder.”

This mask harassment is way out of line. Do they harass people who wear face or head scarves for cancer or religious reasons, too?

I am sorry to hear that is happening to people who have every right to protect themselves from those who are not doing the same.

Probably, and excellent point that made me think of all the folks that had such actions against them for their beliefs in public for wearing hijabs or just because of how they looked/their race.

SMH... best to not even acknowledge and ignore ignorant folks on their "agenda" as these groups have done for decades - no matter if they are in real life or on Social Media? As most of the rest of us, can recognize these folks from a mile away. As we have seen on so many viral videos, they show themselves for who they really are.

The difference is, that in "real life"... you really do need to not only ignore, but walk away. Confrontation and getting into a discussion feeds them iykwim.

Probably, and excellent point that made me think of all the folks that had such actions against them for their beliefs in public for wearing hijabs or just because of how they looked/their race.

SMH... best to not even acknowledge and ignore ignorant folks on their "agenda" as these groups have done for decades - no matter if they are in real life or on Social Media? As most of the rest of us, can recognize these folks from a mile away. As we have seen on so many viral videos, they show themselves for who they really are.

The difference is, that in "real life"... you really do need to not only ignore, but walk away. Confrontation and getting into a discussion feeds them iykwim.

Yeah getting in a brawl, either verbal or physical, with people who may have covid isn’t a good idea. I’ll take the high road (“this” time :p). (But when this pandemic is over, I’ll be happy to finish the conversation and tell you in more detail what I really think lol).

I will say this: they shut up real fast.

And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

Last edited:
Interesting (and a bit scary) issue here with the loss of tourism due to the pandemic:

Their antics were largely tolerated as a major lure for the tourist hordes who descended on the city before the coronavirus outbreak to feed and snap selfies with the plucky animals.

But a government sterilization campaign is now being waged against the creatures after the epidemic provoked an unexpected change in their behavior.

As foreign tourism — Thailand’s cash cow — seized up so did the flow of free bananas tossed their way, prodding the macaques to turn to violence.

. . .

An abandoned cinema is the macaques’ headquarters — and cemetery. Dead monkeys are laid to rest by their peers in the projection room in the cinema’s rear and any human who enters is attacked.

Monkey menace: Humans try to wrest back Thai town from junk food-addled primates | The Japan Times

Hi SouthAussie, it’s always such a pleasure to talk with you guys across the globe. And that gives me someone to talk to here during the “night shift”. :)

What is notable about the above quote that you referenced, is that it is exactly out of textbook contact tracing 101. These are exactly the measures recommended to anyone who is notified by a contact tracer.

Now here is where it gets interesting:

It USED to be, that the requirement for having no fever was 3 days. Now CDC says 24 hours with no fever.

Before there was this change, it was a strict rule. Not two days, not 2.45 days, THREE DAYS.

—-

Eta / reference:

“Other symptom-based criteria were modified as follows:

and the “decision memo” updated on July 22:

• A summary of current evidence and rationale for these changes is described in a Decision Memo.
—-

Also, lots of new links here:
CDC / Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
What's New
Updated July 31, 2020

—-

Eta:
A question I ask myself a lot is was there pressure to revise these guidelines, and are some of these changes the result of this direct pressure.

Indeed. And did you also notice the wording for this paragraph? "Everyone in the infected person’s class or cohort must quarantine for 14 days, according to the guidance. If the school is not practicing cohorting or mixes cohorts, leaders should work to identify the infected person’s close contacts and have them tested within seven days or earlier if they display symptoms."

Someone is going to drop the ball here. Yes, leaders should work to identify the infected person's close contacts, but it's worded as though it's a suggestion. Plus, there doesn't seem to be provision for follow-up to make sure contacts were tested.

And who are the leaders that will be doing the contacting?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Since he had his seven wives with him, I hope you were able to wear your mask and socially distance while you passed them, and that they hadn’t infected their multitudes of cats and kittens carried in their 49 total sacks. :D Of course, since they were coming from St. Ives, if they were contagious, you might want to think twice about going there for the time being. Stuff we never had to think about...even in a rhyme. :eek:
And didn’t their kitties have long tails.
And did it take them over 100 days to get there? I’m just praying for a vaccine.

Omg, you want to see something really creepy? :eek: Look at this interactive map - first scroll past the world map and where it says “reported cases and deaths”, and right below that watch the “numbers load“, specifically “deaths”. Then hit “replay” and watch the circles grow.

Tracking coronavirus’ global spread

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members