Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The school district where I live has a plan, but will it work? Keep in mind that parents can choose complete online and can opt out of the plan.
Plan: This base model will allow each student to attend school in person two days per week, in smaller groups of approximately one half the normal class size, wearing face coverings and social distancing. Students will learn from home on days when they are not in school.

My feeling is kids are going to mingle, no matter the numbers.

The teachers in Melbourne schools (before they just closed) were getting very stressed out with constantly trying to stop the kids from mingling. I saw one of their reps talking about it on TV.

Kids will be kids. They remember for a while, and then forget and mingle.

I've seen some plans that have an alternate day schedule for students, but that doesn't give time for the school to be cleaned properly.

A different arrangement would be to have half the class go to school four days in a row. Then the school is closed on Friday, Saturday, Sunday for cleaning. Then the other half attends for the next four days, followed by three day closure. All students from the same home would attend the same four days.

Students would still attend four days every two weeks. But they would have 10 days off between sessions, which should give sufficient time to evaluate for symptoms, test and isolate if necessary.

Of course, this would only start once there is no known community spread. To start sooner wouldn't work with any model for school reopening because the teacher is not sufficiently protected.
What do parents do with their kids during all their off time from school? This would mean that parents cannot go back to work, or the kids would need some kind of child care?

Just heard Mike Ryan interviewed on Irish radio there. Here's a summary of what he said (for superfan @margarita25)

The World Health Organization's top emergency expert said people can sustain a new normal if they follow the public health guidelines on Covid-19, but warned that people need to be very careful over the coming months until a safe and effective vaccine can be found.

Dr Mike Ryan said there are around 139 Covid vaccine candidates currently in some form of clinical evaluation; 26 are in full blown trials, while six are in phase three trials (population level trials where the vaccine gets tested on ordinary people), which he described as an incredible achievement.

However, he cautioned that people need to be patient because the vaccines need to be safe and effective and a vaccine "may not be the silver bullet" in controlling the virus.

He said a lot of the Covid-19 reduction measures - such as social distancing and hand hygiene - should also result in a much lower influenza season, but no one can say this with certainty.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Sarah McInerney, Dr Ryan said Ireland's health system stood up to the Covid test well and is confident it will continue to do so, but added that controlling community transmission is the best way to keep the pressure off the hospitals.

He said he understands that people are tired and everyone wants to get back to work and to a normal life, but to achieve this we need to reach a point where small flare ups can be picked up quickly before they spread to the whole community.

Dr Ryan said pre-testing for Covid-19 before travelling abroad can help, but it is "not a panacea" and must be taken as part of a broad, multi-faceted strategy.

He also said that pubs are not the cause of spreading Covid-19 as such, but poorly ventilated, crowded areas where people might let down their guard are not ideal and warned that large parties can spark outbreaks and must be managed.

He said that while young people are less likely to suffer severe reactions to Covid-19, the long term effects of even mild or moderate cases are unknown.

7 workers at Offaly processing plant positive for Covid

Two Melbourne grandparents die days apart from COVID-19

Carmen and Charles Micallef moved to Australia together from Malta, and although they later separated, spent decades together before their marriage ended.

Ms Micallef, 92, died on Sunday night at Glendale Aged Care while Mr Micallef, 87, who tested positive on Thursday, died this morning at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Shelves stripped bare at Coles, Woolworths as panic buying ramps up in Melbourne

As Melbourne grapples with an increasing number of coronavirus cases, shoppers have once again turned to panic buying with empty shelves spotted at supermarkets around the state.

Residents have gone against the Victorian Premier’s panic buying warnings, leaving shelves in Coles, Woolworths and Aldi nearly bare.

When Premier Daniel Andrews announced the restrictions imposed across the state, he said the frantic shopping was “not necessary”.

Coronavirus-sniffing dogs dispatched at Dubai Airport
August 3, 2020
''In the United Arab Emirates, all arriving passengers must submit to COVID-19 testing prior to their trips and show negative results to be admitted into the country.

But this week, Dubai International Airport (DXB) started using police dogs for on-airport rapid COVID-19 testing, which reportedly can produce results in minutes with 92 percent accuracy.''

''This is great news for travelers since getting results from labs can take hours or even days in some cases, which is enough of a hassle for anyone to say no to a trip. While the dogs are only deployed in the UAE now, the concept could spread. Could it be the solution Hawaii and other tourism-dependent area are looking for to help get visitors tested quickly and easily before entering the state? Time will tell...''

I think that if there were some targeted public service announcements, with someone like LeBron, telling guys "to mask up" and providing this type of information, it would be very effective.

At least, it would be better that what is happening now, nothing.

It is actually worse than nothing with lots of mixed messages -----

Coronavirus causes micro-structural changes in several parts of the brain, via a neurological path.

In 55% of the patients in the above (Lancet) study.

Thank you for this - very interesting. I have been treated for OCD for decades and since my bout with what I believe was Covid (couldn't get tested here) I have noticed what I can only call an improvement in my condition. I've been joking that it was caused by oxygen deprivation, but this article points to structural changes that affect memory. I will bring this up in my OCD forum to see if any others have been so affected.

(One one would expect OCD to make a person hyper-sensitive to the thought of contracting Covid (or any disease) but I suspect my medication has caused the opposite effect.)

What do parents do with their kids during all their off time from school? This would mean that parents cannot go back to work, or the kids would need some kind of child care?

The alternate four day week model really does not give any more days off than going every other day. Right now parents have child care arrangements that have been in place since March.

A four day week followed by a period of time off is especially good when children share the same equipment. Going every other day constantly means that a different group of students used the equipment just yesterday.

The four day week could also work for places of employment, which would give parents a predictable work schedule and leave a three day weekend for cleaning the place of employment.

Last edited:
So in a months time - each half would be in school 8 days.
Day care?
Grandparents aren’t able to watch children now, not able to shield them once you open the door to exposure.
Teenagers and college students will have classes of their own.
How do you tell your employer that you can only work 8 days a month?
Because there’s no way to teach/watch/parent elementary school age or younger children and work
8-5 from home during that off week.
JMO

The Coronavirus Is Never Going Away

"Even when a much-anticipated vaccine arrives, it is likely to only suppress but never completely eradicate the virus. (For context, consider that vaccines exist for more than a dozen human viruses but only one, smallpox, has ever been eradicated from the planet, and that took 15 years of immense global coordination.) We will probably be living with this virus for the rest of our lives."

Thank you for this - very interesting. I have been treated for OCD for decades and since my bout with what I believe was Covid (couldn't get tested here) I have noticed what I can only call an improvement in my condition. I've been joking that it was caused by oxygen deprivation, but this article points to structural changes that affect memory. I will bring this up in my OCD forum to see if any others have been so affected.

(One one would expect OCD to make a person hyper-sensitive to the thought of contracting Covid (or any disease) but I suspect my medication has caused the opposite effect.)

Thanks for mentioning this; led me to read more.

How Managing OCD Oddly Prepared Me for the Coronavirus Pandemic

Iowa news today: As of 10:30-11:00 a.m. today, we had 179 new confirmed cases for a total of 45,981 confirmed cases of which 33,925 have recovered (IMO +810). 6 more have passed away for a total of 885. 179 COVID-19 cases, 6 deaths reported in Iowa Tuesday
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Urbandale elementary school to continue online classes despite an order from the state
Reynolds responds to school districts choosing to defy proclamation I listened to the pc this morning and it was very intense to say the least.

“Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said the United States' staggering death toll from coronavirus "is what it is" in a new interview, again giving his administration credit for its response despite ongoing surges in new cases and a human toll that far outpaces that of any other nation.

When confronted with the US' daily death toll and Trump's messaging on the pandemic during an interview with Axios on HBO that aired Monday night, the President grew defensive and appeared frustrated by Jonathan Swan's questions about the crisis.
"I've gone to your rallies. I've talked to your people. They love you. They listen to you. They listen to every word you say. They hang on your every word," Swan said. "And so when they hear you say, 'everything's under control. Don't worry about wearing masks,' I mean, these are people -- many of them are older people."

Well, what's your definition of control?" Trump replied, adding: "I think it's under control."
"How? A thousand Americans are dying a day," Swan said.
"They are dying. That's true. And you -- it is what it is," Trump said emphatically. "But that doesn't mean we aren't doing everything we can. It's under control as much as you can control it."

more at link:
Trump on Covid death toll: 'It is what it is' - CNNPolitics

So...about claims of hoarding and "panic buying." (RANT WARNING)

I'll tell you what. I sleep better knowing that our household is stocked. We are *not* going to the grocery store. If we were going to the store right now, we'd want to minimize the number of trips. So, yep, I'd buy a couple more of things we really have to have on hand. My DH in particular, like many people, have special dietary needs. If we run out of what he can eat, what then? I don't want to lie awake wondering about using the last of the food he can eat.

That being said, so far, most of what we actually need to stock on is not on everyone else's list and no, we don't want to take the last 10 rolls of toilet paper. OTOH, it's often sold in packs of 6 or 12. We are going to need some someday - I've got 3 rolls hidden and when I get to those, I'll search for more (last time, had to have family members seek them out - that's not exactly great).

I imagine lots and lots of people are the same way. Who wants to go to the store every other day? If a food can last, we stock up. And it really doesn't take that long for us to get through half of what we have on hand.

We have two sets of pantry items: used all the time, and "in store for a real emergency." That's what any normal person does, if they live where there are hurricanes, fires, earthquakes etc. We buy canned tuna and salmon (wild, line caught, dolphin-friendly) online - so why would we want to pay more for shipping and handling? It comes 12 cans in a box, so we order 24. It lasts less than a year. Is that hoarding? AFAIK, the company still has more - although they won't have it right before salmon season starts, so we stock up.

There are items (posole) that are nearly impossible to find. It's something my DH can eat. We're down to 2 cans. I have the ingredients to make more (probably 4 cans worth). It's out of stock continually here, but if my shopper finds 4 cans, is that panic buying? On both Amazon and Instacart, we often get fewer of what we ordered, obviously we're getting the last of stock.

So, since I buy infrequently, I'm supposed to buy less? What? How is encouraging people to shop more frequently a good thing right now?

What the heck is "panic buying"? Are people literally hitting the stores at opening and buying all of everything that's on a typical shopping list? Like eggs? We eat a lot of them, have 4 dozen in the fridge (down from 8 dozen a month ago). I felt guilty adding more to our cart today, so now I'll have to do another cart sooner than we usually do.

If we ever do run out of eggs, it'll be very bad for DH. Am I panicked?

No, but it's a concern and why should I want anyone to make more runs to the store? I expect that lots of people feel the same way.

Asking the public to limit their essential shopping to a smaller amount of items (thus returning to the store 4-7 days later) seems really strange. Can't stores just put limits on things that are essential and in short supply? We are unable to get fresh salmon, smoked salmon, potatoes (often), frozen potatoes, onions, carrots that are actually edible, specialty and other cheeses, line caught tuna, our regular toothpaste, grass fed beef, my favorite triscuits, Skinny Pop popcorn, and much else - if I want those things, I have to order online and pay more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member