Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #75

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are British you would know that the governing power sets the election date up to five years and is not set in stone like the US elections are.
I am asking about the US elections. Are they set in stone or can they be changed because of the pandemic?

Last edited:
That is true and very concerning. I'm sure they are discussing this and factoring in the ability to make players wear mask, not be kissing on the girlfriend and hanging out with friends.

But if the team follows bubble/ quarantine procedures the risk is very low of contracting. Probably saver than the general public.

But as we have seen some, do not want to make the commitment to quarantine with the team. It's when they step out of the bubble that risk begins.

Some sports team members arrive at training camps already infected. Just like we are seeing many college and lower school students testing positive on the first day of school. That got the virus from somewhere before they came to school or training camp.

Its like any other highly infectious disease/virus, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis B and C, all have a high transmission rate. Some choose to protect themselves others do not.

Safety is in protection. Football players and certainly team owner would never send a team to the field without helmets , knee pad, and other protective gear. Players would have a hissy fit and refuse to play.

Not being able go to parties, see their girlfriends, hang out at the local gathering hole is the reason college teams may not be able to play.

JMHO...

My granddaughter moved into her dorm on Saturday, she's a freshman. She texted me last night that she wasn't sure about her roommate, I texted back to be polite and understanding, that everyone is feeling a bit off because it's different living with someone you don't know.

She tells me it wasn't that, it's that she is a huge partier. She said the roommate came back @ 2 a.m. and it woke her up - no mask. Then she left again at 3 because some people she was at the party with had wandered off and she had to go find them. My granddaughter says again - no mask upon return.

Hoping the roommate will try and switch rooms with friends because my granddaughter isn't a partier. Luckily her best friend goes there also and is in same dorm. Pisses me off. Some kids do actually want an education and not to party 24/7. She went to China last summer for two weeks (good thing she did it then!) She's not a wall flower by any means but she is an innocent young girl.

I have preached protecting ones self for years to her, don't be a number. Don't put yourself in situations which can become dangerous, nothing good happens after midnight, watch your drink, etc. Now her roommate is going to expose her to everything at once - mainly the virus. I want a good experience for her, 2020 has been a terrible year, no graduation, no prom.

Will keep you all posted *crossing fingers*

My granddaughter moved into her dorm on Saturday, she's a freshman. She texted me last night that she wasn't sure about her roommate, I texted back to be polite and understanding, that everyone is feeling a bit off because it's different living with someone you don't know.

She tells me it wasn't that, it's that she is a huge partier. She said the roommate came back @ 2 a.m. and it woke her up - no mask. Then she left again at 3 because some people she was at the party with had wandered off and she had to go find them. My granddaughter says again - no mask upon return.

Hoping the roommate will try and switch rooms with friends because my granddaughter isn't a partier. Luckily her best friend goes there also and is in same dorm. Pisses me off. Some kids do actually want an education and not to party 24/7. She went to China last summer for two weeks (good thing she did it then!) She's not a wall flower by any means but she is an innocent young girl.

I have preached protecting ones self for years to her, don't be a number. Don't put yourself in situations which can become dangerous, nothing good happens after midnight, watch your drink, etc. Now her roommate is going to expose her to everything at once - mainly the virus. I want a good experience for her, 2020 has been a terrible year, no graduation, no prom.

Will keep you all posted *crossing fingers*

I hope that it is just freshman partying and that her roommate does not do this every night for her sake. Perhaps she could change to be with her friend?

ETA I may have misunderstood - did you mean your grand daughter's friend is there or her roommate's friend?

I hope that it is just freshman partying and that her roommate does not do this every night for her sake. Perhaps she could change to be with her friend?

ETA I may have misunderstood - did you mean your grand daughter's friend is there or her roommate's friend?

Sorry, my granddaughter's best friend is there. I hope they can switch up rooms and be together. When they first decided to attend college there, they spoke of getting jobs, an apartment together. Then my granddaughter decided she wasn't mature enough to handle having an apartment. My son complains because she hasn't gotten her driver's license and he bought her a car. I told him to be thankful, it would already be wrecked and towed twice by now. ;)

I really hope this all works out and she doesn't get it, if she does that it is mild.

Sorry, my granddaughter's best friend is there. I hope they can switch up rooms and be together. When they first decided to attend college there, they spoke of getting jobs, an apartment together. Then my granddaughter decided she wasn't mature enough to handle having an apartment. My son complains because she hasn't gotten her driver's license and he bought her a car. I told him to be thankful, it would already be wrecked and towed twice by now. ;)

I really hope this all works out and she doesn't get it, if she does that it is mild.

I am sure she will be fine. It's nice she let's you know about any worries.

My daughter went away to college at 16 and ended up the sensible one, so that others there often called her 'mum'.

I said the article is worrying, from the article "hundreds will die due to government failure". Did you read the article?

Also, I have elderly relatives in Oz.

This is why they offered AUSMAT to Victoria a few weeks ago - and Victoria accepted. To control the aged care situation. To stop workers working at multiple aged care centres, and reduce the risks of spreading the virus. To organise them better. I have explained all of this in previous posts.

AUSMAT | NCCTRC

Unfortunately for Premier Andrews, the situation in Victoria hasn't been handled in the way that it has been handled in other states. They are now paying the price.

The good news is that their new cases have been significantly dropping over the last few days. Harm reduction is now starting to work for them. It takes a little while for all of the measures to start to have an effect.

They have also extended their lockdown by a few weeks. Which will be hard for the Victorian people, but is what needs to happen to continue to bring the numbers down. From what I read (somewhere) their R0 is now under R1.

This is why they offered AUSMAT to Victoria a few weeks ago - and Victoria accepted. To control the aged care situation. To stop workers working at multiple aged care centres, and reduce the risks of spreading the virus. To organise them better. I have explained all of this in previous posts.

AUSMAT | NCCTRC

Unfortunately for Premier Andrews, the situation in Victoria hasn't been handled in the way that it has been handled in other states. They are now paying the price.

The good news is that their new cases have been significantly dropping over the last few days. Harm reduction is now starting to work for them. It takes a little while for all of the measures to start to have an effect.

They have also extended their lockdown by a few weeks. Which will be hard for the Victorian people, but is what needs to happen to continue to bring the numbers down. From what I read (somewhere) their R0 is now under R1.

This Royal Commission Inquiry is going on now though.

Royal commission into aged care quality and safety | Australia news | The Guardian

My state is bringing 300 international students back in. They are not saying exactly when this will happen, and there is a bit of controversy about it.

Some months ago, the Prime Minister had mentioned that we would conduct a test like this, but back then it was scheduled to happen in the Australian Capital Territory.
I think because my state is fairly clear of the virus, and our hospitals have plenty of space, it has been decided to happen here first.

The students will all go into quarantine in 'medi-hotels' for two weeks. Before they start or re-start their studies.

Authorities defend return of international students to SA amid coronavirus restrictions

We all should be worried when a high percentage of deaths are among vulnerable populations such as the elderly in care homes. Glad to see there is a Royal Commission looking into this. There is no justification for this. The percentages are way too high.

Fortunately, we care enough to have a royal commission.

Homeless population thus far has avoided worst of pandemic

A few of the nation's homeless shelters have seen large COVID-19 outbreaks, but the virus has not brought devastation to the homeless population as many feared. Researchers and advocates say much is unknown about how the pandemic is affecting the estimated half-million people without housing in the U.S. – and why there appear to be so few outbreaks among them.

Two top CDC officials step down; Birx urges Americans to wear masks indoors and outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kudo-magician179