Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children MIS-c and Covid[/URL}

[URL='https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ws-members-loved-ones-who-have-coronavirus-and-testing.514116/']WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Covid-19 Vaccine Development

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68[/URL] Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

10ofRods is a Verified medical anthropologist and as such they are not required to provide links to information that is within the area of their expertise.

Hey everyone,

This thread is for sharing information, not debating or bickering or winning an argument.

State your opinion, post your link to info, then move on without feeling the need to comment on every single detail of every single post. It takes over the thread and none of us are here to hammer our own opinion into the heads of other members.

Thank you.

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is based in the US but has members from all over the world.

Any member who posts snark about another country will be permanently removed from this discussion.

ADMIN NOTE:

Judicial Watch is a political activist publication and is not an approved source at Websleuths.

Stanford study estimates new cases due to 18 Trump rallies at 30,000.

The methods used are interesting. Mainly they carefully tracked case numbers prior, during and post the rallies. They matched each rally hosting county with a nearby county with similar/identical demographics that did not host any rallies or large events. The differences between host and non-host counties were significant.

They thoroughly discuss the difficulties of this type of estimate.

All three of us in my household have now tested positive. Where the heck did we contract if from?

How are you guys doing? There are lots of people who don't know exactly where they got it. Is anyone working outside the home?

I'm so glad you got tested. What did your doctor say to do?

Thank you, for answering my previously asked question about China. I googled trying to find out what was going on there as I had the feeling things were under control and despite googling I couldn’t seem to get a comprehensive answer. I thought someone younger...like you...with more working brain cells would know,,,,and you did. So the question remains ....WHY?

Why what?

On tenterhooks here in England. Boris presser was due at 5pm (it's now 5.40pm) and it's been pushed back at least an hour.

It doesnt bode well in terms of his team being in agreement.

Media running lockdown from Thurs until 2nd Dec, all except essential shops to close, schools and Unis to stay open.

ETA also saying no travel outside of your local area... Wonder how international incoming flights will be affected?

I live in the surrounding Phoenix area and i see people without masks every time i go out

The only places i see consistent mask wearing is places that require masks for entrance

And even in those places, there is zero distancing by employees or customers with the exception of near the checkout where prompts are taped on the floor

People brush right by me like their mask is enough
It is not

And some people remove their mask the moment they exit, which means i am passing maskless people on my way into the store
(Actually, in and out of stores, i pause until a person passes)
But you get my drift. My experience

I don't want to pick on a retailer, but this one in particular, the largest in the US, has difficulty with masks - not the employees but visitors. Signs are posted, but no one is enforcing; I have also found this to be true with other retailers.

Thank you, for answering my previously asked question about China. I googled trying to find out what was going on there as I had the feeling things were under control and despite googling I couldn’t seem to get a comprehensive answer. I thought someone younger...like you...with more working brain cells would know,,,,and you did. So the question remains ....WHY?

Here's a list of possibilities:

Super high compliance and super strict governmental control. Ability of government to mandate any measure it wishes.

Ability to close city, provincial and national borders as needed, with checkpoints as needed.

Mandatory testing to enter the country, quarantines.

Masks already the norm on public transportation. Mask compliance extremely high. People wear masks at home if they are working outside the home.

State of the art ventilation systems in many buildings, especially hospitals. More negative pressure rooms per capita in many cities than in the U.S.

Absolutely no shortage of PPE for healthcare workers.

Redundancy in the work force so that many people can and do stay home.

Contact tracing absolutely every single positive case and locking up all the contacts.

Mandatory testing for nearly everyone in the workplace, once a week. Mandatory testing for all schools - each kid, once a week.

Two spaced negative tests before being let out of quarantine.

No such thing as "pub life" or "street parties" in China, except for state-approved festivals (which are shut down right now).

Huge testing capacity (Russia is pretty good with this too - both nations have tons of PCR machines and people to run them; by contrast, the US and UK have to import some of this talent and are almost always lacking people to fill all positions in PCR labs; importing said labor from Asia is quite common in English-speaking nations).
-------------

Not every place has all these measures, but internal travel within China requires a kind of passport in the first place and provincial boundaries are treated like international ones, elsewhere. It's very much like what Australia has done, but Australia did it with perhaps much less authoritarianism.

Still, what China and Australia have in common is that there's very high compliance among nearly all citizens.

China actually welded people into their apartments for 2 weeks early on.

--------------
Sources: tons of articles on scholar.google.com but also two good friends who are Chinese anthropologists.

I don't want to pick on a retailer, but this one in particular, the largest in the US, has difficulty with masks - not the employees but visitors. Signs are posted, but no one is enforcing; I have also found this to be true with other retailers.

There was a study from Germany that came out a few days ago, and also the 2 docs we follow here have said the same... Best response if there is a mandate from high up even if not enforced at the city/lower levels . It/they stated it was more of a relief from peer pressure?

Brb w/in 60 minutes to update... if I can as a friend is walking up right now to my outdoor... brb

Just saw the press conference there. Your new restrictions sound identical to ours except for four weeks rather than six. Good luck with it all and I hope it does the trick. Solidarity from over the water!
I'm relieved about furlough. Pending details obvs, but hoping it means people will receive 80% of their regular wage again. Far from ideal just before Christmas, but at least it's not total lay off scenario.

I'm relieved about furlough. Pending details obvs, but hoping it means people will receive 80% of their regular wage again. Far from ideal just before Christmas, but at least it's not total lay off scenario.
Yes the income supports are vital. It is still very hard for so many people but I hope this lockdown will be less painful than the last one. At least it will be shorter. I'm a big fan of the social support bubble idea to prevent loneliness and isolation for older/vulnerable people and those who live alone. We have that here too this time. We'll get through it and hopefully the hospital systems will be in good shape by December.

Are we using cancer-causing agents in our hand sanitizer? Real question.

I wouldn't be surprised, but right now, the problem appears to be from methanol.

FDA is warning consumers and health care providers that the agency has seen a sharp increase in hand sanitizer products that are labeled to contain ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) but that have tested positive for methanol contamination. Methanol, or wood alcohol, is a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested and can be life-threatening when ingested.

FDA updates on hand sanitizers consumers should not use

Yes the income supports are vital. It is still very hard for so many people but I hope this lockdown will be less painful than the last one. At least it will be shorter. I'm a big fan of the social support bubble idea to prevent loneliness and isolation for older/vulnerable people and those who live alone. We have that here too this time. We'll get through it and hopefully the hospital systems will be in good shape by December.
Thats what I'm hoping. Plus a few weeks left of retail sales and hopefully we can have some family time.

Study links Trump rallies to more than 700 Covid deaths

Study links Trump rallies to more than 700 Covid deaths

By David Lim

1 hour ago
President Donald Trump's campaign rallies between June and September may have caused some 30,000 coronavirus infections and more than 700 deaths, according to a new study by Stanford University economists.
The working paper, released late Friday, examined the impact of 18 rallies held between June 20 and Sept. 30 by comparing spread of the virus after each event to parts of the country that didn't host rallies. The findings illustrate the risks of not heeding public health warnings to wear masks and avoid large gatherings to mitigate the risks of Covid-19, the authors — including B. Douglas Bernheim, the chair of Stanford's economics department — wrote.

“The communities in which Trump rallies took place paid a high price in terms of disease and death,” they wrote. Fifteen of the 18 events studied were held outdoors.

Trump has drawn criticism for continuing to hold events with large, tightly packed crowds in states that are experiencing outbreaks. Many in attendance, including Trump, have not worn masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50