Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we may not see a rollout anytime soon. :(

It looks like Cuomo is trying to block it. I wish all these politicians would stop playing politics and act in the nation's best interest. I'm excited about this vaccine and I don't want to see anyone else die that might be saved by getting the vaccine. The way the current surge is going, they just need to get this vaccine to the people. Yesterday.

<modsnip: Not an approved link>

You are exactly right--EXACTLY.. "In the Nation's Best Interest".
So far NO national campaigns have been in the people's best interest....that is why it is just sooooooooo important to do it right. The current administration has left everything to the States--so States may try to take the lead... But the smartest ones will WAIT for a national plan that will work.

That vaccine will not be ready any time soon...of course it won't, just like no others are really ready. So the plan has to come later anyway.

We must wait for the right plan.
Pfizer will not play politics...they have already made that statement very very clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh also. Regarding schools done safely. Boston imo had a good plan starting with special needs for a few weeks, then the Littlest kids for a few weeks. Then A few elem grades and so on. High school not going back until maybe December?
they called the whole thing off like the day before I think late sept/early oct?

bussing is an issue for some areas more than others

I think /no link state is now saying three feet distance in school not six.

Oh and sports. I’m as big a fan as the next person. But must we be playing all these youth-adult sports. Come on.

Last edited:
I was looking through the IMHE's projections for various states, which includes an estimate of local mask usage based on spot observations in cities in the US state in question. Strong correlation between higher mask use and avoiding the current spike in new cases.

Also, general mobility is a big factor (measured by google, using all the google map/app users with androids or iphones). People were staying home, but in the states in peril, they're back up to 70-80% of normal. Are there really states with all stores open? I guess so - Florida and Texas, IIRC, are two major ones.

As we reopen stores in California at lower capacity, we're seeing the numbers of new case move upwards. And mask use has dropped a little in Los Angeles. Hospitals are worried.

One of the things that Biden did not mention (as can ONLY be done by the states IIRC) is to REQUIRE vaccines as is done with so many communicable diseases.

This is going to be a tall hill to climb, and will be of interest to see how and when it plays out as Biden only spoke of masks.

I was FLOORED to learn that the Supreme Court decision on vaccinations allowed to be mandate by states (can't be federal, just like mask mandates) was decided re smallpox in 1904-1905!

"Notably, the U.S. Supreme Court has rejected challenges to compulsory vaccination partly on the grounds that individual belief cannot subordinate the safety of an entire community."

HENNING JACOBSON, Plff. in Err., v. COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS.

I've been thinking about this. One thing the Federal government can do is to require vaccines for major groups of employees (military, postal service, federal offices). That would be a huge swath. And I think states could start with requiring vaccines, as we already do, for students, teachers, hospital-based personnel - and state workers.

I am fairly confident that many CA counties (but not all) would then do the same for County workers, especially those in LE, workers in jails, etc.

Where I live, this would be quite a large percentage of the people I'd be likely to encounter on any given day. Also, I would expect hotel chains and independents to require vaccines for their workers (and restaurants) and they'd want to advertise that on their webpages.

Federal government can also mandate mask wearing for its employees. So there's that.

What the Biden-Harris COVID-19 transition plan may mean for Texas | KXAN Austin

BBM:

““Our work begins with getting COVID under control,” Biden said Saturday night as he addressed the nation. “We cannot repair the economy, restore our vitality or relish life’s most precious moments — hugging our grandchildren, our children, our birthdays, weddings, graduations — all of the moments that matter most to us until we get it under control.”“

[...]

“The Biden-Harris administration’s transition website details key elements of their COVID-19 plan, including doubling the number of drive-through COVID-19 testing sites across the country, ramping up production of PPE, implementing mask mandates nationwide and investing $25 billion in vaccine manufacturing and distribution — which the campaign claims will guarantee every American will get a vaccine, cost-free.

Don Kettl, the Sid Richardson Professor at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin, said that with federal pandemic response, he expects to see “a big shift in the balance of power.” Kettl believes that compared to President Donald Trump’s approach to the coronavirus which left many key decisions up to state and local leaders, President-elect Biden’s response already appears to have a more streamlined approach from the federal level.

“Not that the states are going to be any less important or have any less discretion, but that there’s going to be more coordination between the federal government and the states or among the states as a result,” Kettl clarified. “That’s going to mean inevitably a bit more federal power, but also a stronger role I suspect to try and develop a healthy partnership between the federal government and the state.”“

-more at link

(Link courtesy of @roche.analisa)

Last edited:
Journal of the American Medical Association continues their series in 30 minutes. It's going to perhaps be part of the education that only states can implement certain mitigations legally? Or perhaps discuss what Cuomo said as that health departments and their distributions for vulnerable is at risk? Don't know... yet Baby steps with JAMA? This is meant for health care folks not laystream.. but I think that MANY of us at WS prefer to follow the source of MSM reports and have educated along the way to understand what they may state vs. filtering through MSM. As said many times, great that here at WS we are ahead of the curve in discerning from many science viewpoints.

"Ngozi O. Ezike, MD, Director of the Illinois Department of Public Health, discusses state and regional management of the COVID-19 pandemic. "

What the Biden-Harris COVID-19 transition plan may mean for Texas | KXAN Austin

BBM:

““Our work begins with getting COVID under control,” Biden said Saturday night as he addressed the nation. “We cannot repair the economy, restore our vitality or relish life’s most precious moments — hugging our grandchildren, our children, our birthdays, weddings, graduations — all of the moments that matter most to us until we get it under control.”“

[...]

“The Biden-Harris administration’s transition website details key elements of their COVID-19 plan, including doubling the number of drive-through COVID-19 testing sites across the country, ramping up production of PPE, implementing mask mandates nationwide and investing $25 billion in vaccine manufacturing and distribution — which the campaign claims will guarantee every American will get a vaccine, cost-free.

Don Kettl, the Sid Richardson Professor at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin, said that with federal pandemic response, he expects to see “a big shift in the balance of power.” Kettl believes that compared to President Donald Trump’s approach to the coronavirus which left many key decisions up to state and local leaders, President-elect Biden’s response already appears to have a more streamlined approach from the federal level.

“Not that the states are going to be any less important or have any less discretion, but that there’s going to be more coordination between the federal government and the states or among the states as a result,” Kettl clarified. “That’s going to mean inevitably a bit more federal power, but also a stronger role I suspect to try and develop a healthy partnership between the federal government and the state.”“

-more at link

(Link courtesy of @roche.analisa)
We can certainly use the help in the Lone Star state. :)

We can certainly use the help in the Lone Star state. :)

All this is so encouraging, reassuring, comforting imo, to have a captain at the wheel taking action and steering us in the right direction wrt controlling this virus, and it’s repercussions, to the best of our abilities.

Unfortunately, he has inherited an exponentially challenging baseline with our current numbers, but at least we know now that everything is being/will be done to the best of his, and his team’s, abilities. This “team” includes us, and this was especially reinforced in Dr. Osterholm’s most recent discussion, “A New Dialogue”, which I think is worth a listen if people have time to burn. There were several notable points, but one point which was emphasized that I especially appreciated is how important it is know upfront, the truth, where we are now, and where were heading, because then we can address it and deal with it.

(eta: sadly, the term used was “rocketship”, as I mentioned previously.)

Last edited:
Wisconsin has one of the highest rates of coronavirus. Guess what. There is really nothing to be said. Republicans rule the state legislature. Democratic governor.

A Wisconsin appeals court has reversed a lower court's ruling and blocked a statewide limit on gatherings and business capacities.

Emergency Order #3 is no longer in force, however Gov. Tony Evers' administration can appeal the ruling to the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Appeals court blocks Wisconsin gathering order

Thanks, as I stated upthread... it appears that only states can do mandates for vaccines and/or masks and cannot be done by feds. Difficult indeed as to focus on COVID.

One of the things that Biden did not mention (as can ONLY be done by the states IIRC) is to REQUIRE vaccines as is done with so many communicable diseases.

This is going to be a tall hill to climb, and will be of interest to see how and when it plays out as Biden only spoke of masks.

I was FLOORED to learn that the Supreme Court decision on vaccinations allowed to be mandate by states (can't be federal, just like mask mandates) was decided re smallpox in 1904-1905!

"Notably, the U.S. Supreme Court has rejected challenges to compulsory vaccination partly on the grounds that individual belief cannot subordinate the safety of an entire community."

HENNING JACOBSON, Plff. in Err., v. COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS.

The problem here is that people are getting "Covid Fatigue". Cleaning, mask wearing, washing, on and on...and the ongoing "Social Distancing". It just wears on every one.

Which is why we got over 500 cases today. And the people at a county health department quit en masse last week.

Four-Member Staff of Montana County Health Agency Resigns

Had it been managed correctly or sufficiently it would not have got to this point however...and the restrictions would not have had to go on and on and on...it’s really so simple to some, and so utterly hard to understand/comprehend to others...

NOT aimed at OP, purely MOO YMMV

You are exactly right--EXACTLY.. "In the Nation's Best Interest".
So far NO national campaigns have been in the people's best interest....that is why it is just sooooooooo important to do it right. The current administration has left everything to the States--so States may try to take the lead... But the smartest ones will WAIT for a national plan that will work.

That vaccine will not be ready any time soon...of course it won't, just like no others are really ready. So the plan has to come later anyway.

We must wait for the right plan.
Pfizer will not play politics...they have already made that statement very very clear.

Pfizer said 50 million doses can be ready and distributed by the end of the year, but that means only 25 million people, since a person must have two shots.

Cuomo can only block New Yorkers from getting it, but hopefully, other governors will do the right thing by their citizens. As fast as this virus is surging right now, I hate to see anyone who is at high risk and has a chance to take it to be left out.

I'm willing to wait until it's more widely available next year, but if the virus is as good as Pfizer is saying, I hope the governors will fall in line.

It seems to me that a plan to "wait" is the worst plan of all.

Covid-19 Live Updates: U.S. Surpasses 10 Million Cases as Biden Assembles Task Force

“The United States reported its 10 millionth coronavirus case on Sunday, with the latest million added in just 10 days, as most of the country struggled to contain outbreaks in the third and most widespread wave of infection since the pandemic began.

Case reports have soared in the last week, shattering records. The seven-day average of new cases now exceeds 100,000 per day, far more than any other country. The United States accounts for about one-fifth of all reported coronavirus cases in the world, a total that is nearing 50 million. In Europe, which accounts for as much or more of the global number, many countries have imposed national or regional restrictions far more encompassing than the limits in force in patches of the United States.“

A million a day for 10 days...give or take. I’m sorry Margs I just can’t like this post...

I also think the Federal Government can take charge of vaccine distribution, require states to report on the demographics of who gets it (to the CDC) and thereby have a list of states where there's a low number of vaccinated people (where, in theory, Covid-19 cases should be much higher).

Those places would then get way less tourism from people concerned about Covid (although those of us who had had the vaccine would have fewer worries about travel; still, I can't imagine wanting to go to a state where most people weren't vaccinated).

It'll be interesting for sure, to watch it roll out.

I wish Cuomo would be more positive about the vaccine news. This is just what the nation needs right now and the sooner it gets to the public, the better in my opinion.

I'm so ready for this virus to be over!

Cuomo: 'Bad News' that Pfizer Announced Vaccine Results Before Biden Assumes Office | National Review

The vaccine news is very exciting... I fear that current admin will just use it for a PR shot, not handle it the right way.

We need a planned, organized roll-out for vaccines, and current admin has failed to have any effective national plans for us.

Pence breaks silence to take credit for Pfizer vaccine - and drugs company immediately denies Trump involved

Keep in mind that his focus has always been on doing it right, vs. doing it quickly (similar to something else that happened in the last week).

His point is that, for those that listens to him regularly.. is that the plan is not nailed down to serve hotspots when it does go public in the second stages. The health departments haven't been included in this major plan to distribute to the vulneralbe that don't have access under his plan yet. And that is what he's pushing for and trying to state again and again and again that the "plan" needs to involve action steps in it's Gant charts or whatever to include such populations that have been and in the plan are underserved at this time... and at this moment it doesn't meet what he is wanting.

Agree, he should be more clear on such and point it out.. but perhaps he's toeing the line in hopes that in the near future he's telegraphing to others to change and consider once there is another force over seeing.

MOO.

Well, we may not see a rollout anytime soon. :(

It looks like Cuomo is trying to block it. I wish all these politicians would stop playing politics and act in the nation's best interest. I'm excited about this vaccine and I don't want to see anyone else die that might be saved by getting the vaccine. The way the current surge is going, they just need to get this vaccine to the people. Yesterday.

https://************/tipsheet/julio...admins-distribution-of-covid-vaccine-n2579730

WS blocks the post reference automatically.

Experts weigh in on Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine

Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Coronavirus Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective

Katie Thomas, David Gelles and Carl Zimmer 2 hrs ago

Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Coronavirus Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective.

The drug maker Pfizer announced on Monday that an early analysis of its coronavirus vaccine trial suggested the vaccine was robustly effective in preventing Covid-19, a promising development as the world has waited anxiously for any positive news about a pandemic that has killed more than 1.2 million people.

BB1aPLKz.img
© Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, via Associated Press A volunteer in Pfizer’s clinical trial was vaccinated this month at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.

Pfizer, which developed the vaccine with the German drugmaker BioNTech, released only sparse details from its clinical trial, based on the first formal review of the data by an outside panel of experts.

The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said.

Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of the two-dose vaccine later this month, after it has collected the recommended two months of safety data. By the end of the year it will have manufactured enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people, company executives have said.

“This is a historical moment,” Kathrin Jansen, a senior vice president and the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, said in an interview. “This was a devastating situation, a pandemic, and we have embarked on a path and a goal that nobody ever has achieved — to come up with a vaccine within a year.”

Last edited:
Keep in mind that his focus has always been on doing it right, vs. doing it quickly (similar to something else that happened in the last week).

His point is that, for those that listens to him regularly.. is that the plan is not nailed down to serve hotspots when it does go public in the second stages. The health departments haven't been included in this major plan to distribute to the vulneralbe that don't have access under his plan yet. And that is what he's pushing for and trying to state again and again and again that the "plan" needs to involve action steps in it's Gant charts or whatever to include such populations that have been and in the plan are underserved at this time... and at this moment it doesn't meet what he is wanting.

Agree, he should be more clear on such and point it out.. but perhaps he's toeing the line in hopes that in the near future he's telegraphing to others to change and consider once there is another force over seeing.

MOO.

WS blocks the post reference automatically.

I totally get that, but in this situation, time is of the essence, and Biden's team was talking to the Warp Speed partners even before the election to speed up the process.

Cuomo's track record on this virus hasn't been wonderful, considering his initiative that instructed nursing homes to take in covid-positive patients, which led to thousands of deaths.

I agree with triage of need for getting the vaccines to the most vulnerable people first, including healthcare workers and teachers, but I hope Cuomo doesn't block it from New Yorkers just out of spite.

Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Coronavirus Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective

Katie Thomas, David Gelles and Carl Zimmer 2 hrs ago

Pfizer’s Early Data Shows Coronavirus Vaccine Is More Than 90% Effective.

The drug maker Pfizer announced on Monday that an early analysis of its coronavirus vaccine trial suggested the vaccine was robustly effective in preventing Covid-19, a promising development as the world has waited anxiously for any positive news about a pandemic that has killed more than 1.2 million people.

BB1aPLKz.img
© Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, via Associated Press A volunteer in Pfizer’s clinical trial was vaccinated this month at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.

Pfizer, which developed the vaccine with the German drugmaker BioNTech, released only sparse details from its clinical trial, based on the first formal review of the data by an outside panel of experts.

The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said.

Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of the two-dose vaccine later this month, after it has collected the recommended two months of safety data. By the end of the year it will have manufactured enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people, company executives have said.

“This is a historical moment,” Kathrin Jansen, a senior vice president and the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, said in an interview. “This was a devastating situation, a pandemic, and we have embarked on a path and a goal that nobody ever has achieved — to come up with a vaccine within a year.”

No matter how many times I've read this today -- it's still SUPER exciting!

The light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member