Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And looking at projections, this is going to be a daily headline for the next month until we hit the peak - perhaps mid January. MOO

ETA: ??Or, since we are ahead of the IHME projections, could it be sooner now?

IHME | COVID-19 Projections
Oddly enough, the number of new COVID cases (14 day change) continues to go down in Colorado. Mask wearing and social distancing is hit or miss here at best and even our mayor traveled for Thanksgiving. I was certain we’d see a post-holiday surge by now. Absolutely certain. But while much of the US records increases, we’ve not only stabilized at pre-Thanksgiving rates, apparently we’re declining. I’m mystified! How can that be?

I think you're right. Human psychology plays a huge role in how people react to "recommendations." In my experience, more people will comply if they're shown why the suggestions are important rather than handing down rules that force them to comply. The latter always seems to gin-up resistance no matter who is on the receiving end.

Unfortunately, it seems a significant percent of our population has become deaf to explanations as to why. They don’t care why and aren’t interested in listening.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Now i have to rethink this- I have lots of allergies- very disappointed in this new information
I have allergies too, but have not reacted to vaccines(yet). Fortunately the two people who did have reactions responded to treatment and have recovered. Frankly, I’d rather take my chances w/an anaphylactic reaction in front of trained medical workers and my epipen than remained locked up for fear of COVID.

It’s a toss up which will run out first — my money or my sanity. I welcome anything that offers a reduced COVID risk so I can resume work and visit family/close friends again. But that’s just my personal risk/benefit equation. It’s intensely personal and varies for each of us.

Oddly enough, the number of new COVID cases (14 day change) continues to go down in Colorado. Mask wearing and social distancing is hit or miss here at best and even our mayor traveled for Thanksgiving. I was certain we’d see a post-holiday surge by now. Absolutely certain. But while much of the US records increases, we’ve not only stabilized at pre-Thanksgiving rates, apparently we’re declining. I’m mystified! How can that be?

Unfortunately, per Dr. Fauci, the full brunt of Thanksgiving travel is still to come.

• The worst of the coronavirus outbreaks sparked by people who traveled for Thanksgiving hasn’t yet occurred, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Tuesday.
  • The country could see “the full brunt” from the virus coming off the Thanksgiving season at some point next week, he said.
  • The worsening outbreak would come as people begin to travel and gather for the Christmas season, Fauci said.
U.S. hasn't seen full Covid brunt from Thanksgiving as nation enters Christmas season, Fauci warns

I'm going to bet that even with insurance, that's an incredibly hefty bill (the dark side of illness in the US that many COVID deniers will face in future - even a short hospital stay is expensive).

For example, most people have a deductible (which can be as large as $20,000 for the family). For those of us with really good insurance, it can still be $2000-5000. Then, in my case, I have to pay 20% of the remainder (unless I'm in network - which my care, right now, actually is - but not everyone has that worked out).

The air transport, etc, will add a lot to their bill as well. And the child is still vulnerable to tetanus, lifelong. As well as whooping cough and diphtheria.
I am surprised that insurance would be willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat an illness for which a vaccination has existed for decades, but was willingly declined (unless there was some valid, debilitating allergic risk to the person).

Will I have to wear a mask once I get the COVID-19 vaccine?

This is interesting.

"And it might be possible for a person who got vaccinated to transmit the virus to others even if they don't get sick."

So, my husband is in the top tier for getting a vaccine, much faster than me. But, could he actually transmit the virus to me?! WTH?! I already wear a mask 10 hours a day at work. The last thing I want is to come home, mask up, wash hands, sanitize everything constantly, because I would be living with a person who got the vaccine. They better give us both a jab at the same time.

Will I have to wear a mask once I get the COVID-19 vaccine?

This is interesting.

"And it might be possible for a person who got vaccinated to transmit the virus to others even if they don't get sick."

So, my husband is in the top tier for getting a vaccine, much faster than me. But, could he actually transmit the virus to me?! WTH?! I already wear a mask 10 hours a day at work. The last thing I want is to come home, mask up, wash hands, sanitize everything constantly, because I would be living with a person who got the vaccine. They better give us both a jab at the same time.

The point of that recommendation is that your husband should be wearing a mask when he goes out. Not that you have to wear one when you get home. He's the one that should, after getting his vaccinations if he gets it before you, continue wearing a mask when he's out so both of you can be maskless at home. MOO

Unfortunately, per Dr. Fauci, the full brunt of Thanksgiving travel is still to come.

• The worst of the coronavirus outbreaks sparked by people who traveled for Thanksgiving hasn’t yet occurred, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Tuesday.
  • The country could see “the full brunt” from the virus coming off the Thanksgiving season at some point next week, he said.
  • The worsening outbreak would come as people begin to travel and gather for the Christmas season, Fauci said.
U.S. hasn't seen full Covid brunt from Thanksgiving as nation enters Christmas season, Fauci warns
Thanks. So we’re likely to resume an increase in cases soon. But I still really wonder why in the last week or so cases in CO have gone down when so many other places are going up. Especially given how many people here see masks and social distancing as unnecessary if not an intolerable violation of personal freedom.

I don’t think for a minute we’re immune to another nasty surge. I’m sure it’s coming. But I really would like to hear thoughts on what could be causing our current anomaly.
Could it be the altitude? Protective effects of cannabis? Faulty reporting?

In my experience, more people will comply if they're shown why the suggestions are important rather than handing down rules that force them to comply. The latter always seems to gin-up resistance no matter who is on the receiving end.
<snip>

I don’t think there is any shortage of information out there on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member