Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone wants to reply to my vaccine woe and questions from the last thread...(I hope someone does! I’m anxious about this, even though I said I wasn’t going to be...sigh). As I mentioned, I especially appreciate any discussion/reference about this subject of allergies and vaccines going forward! I didn’t want to clog the vaccine thread. Not sure if it’s better discussed there?

Maybe one day they’ll develop a vaccine that people who are on the allergy spectrum can take?

From the last thread:

“What happens to those of us who may not be able take it??” :(

I guess if it were me, I'd go ahead and take the vaccine - but I'd insist on sticking around the clinic for a couple of hours (the reaction typically occurs within 15-30 minutes, so I'd just be cautious). I'd make sure the place I was taking it included a nurse who knows how to use an epi-pen.

My FiL had anaphylaxis from either sulfa or penicillin, so is in the risk group (plus being 80 years old). He is going to take the vaccine (outside the US - but similar to Moderna/Pfizer). I'll keep you posted. But that's the advice I'd give him (if he'd listen, ha).

There used to be advice for other vaccines about taking benadryl beforehand, which would of course help. You might want to research it for yourself. I'm thinking about taking it beforehand, as none of us can know for sure who will get the anaphylaxis.

Also, keep in mind that early recipients have included some of our most vulnerable humans.

I think the AstraZeneca one has not been causing anaphylaxis. We should know more very soon as it's rolling out this week.

Thank you for posting this.

From the above link:

“Humanity faces an unknown number of new and potentially fatal viruses emerging from Africa's tropical rainforests, according to Professor Jean-Jacques Muyembe Tamfum, who helped discover the Ebola virus in 1976 and has been on the frontline of the hunt for new pathogens ever since.

"We are now in a world where new pathogens will come out," he told CNN. "And that's what constitutes a threat for humanity."“

*many doctors have talked about this, including Dr. Fauci, WHO...

You may appreciate the video I posted here yesterday - the same doctor speaks:

Africa - Coronavirus COVID-19

(eta: I found the part about the monkeys, wet markets highly disturbing.)

Last edited:
A rural county battling COVID-19 faces a difficult obstacle: The local Walmart — Texas Monthly

“The laissez-faire attitude in the store stands in stark contrast to the scene down the street. A few hundred feet away, across an empty lot about two football fields wide, a team of doctors and nurses at the Hereford Regional Medical Center are under siege. By any reasonable measure, Hereford, the seat of Deaf Smith County, is in the throes of a humanitarian crisis, one that health experts believe is likely to worsen in the coming weeks.”

wow just astounding

Thank you for posting this.

From the above link:

“Humanity faces an unknown number of new and potentially fatal viruses emerging from Africa's tropical rainforests, according to Professor Jean-Jacques Muyembe Tamfum, who helped discover the Ebola virus in 1976 and has been on the frontline of the hunt for new pathogens ever since.

"We are now in a world where new pathogens will come out," he told CNN. "And that's what constitutes a threat for humanity."“

*many doctors have talked about this, including Dr. Fauci, WHO...

You may appreciate the video I posted here yesterday - the same doctor speaks:

Africa - Coronavirus COVID-19

(eta: I found the part about the monkeys, wet markets highly disturbing.)

Very disturbing to say the least

It is pretty disgusting. You wonder how many people overweight, diabetic, etc. have died, who, with an infusion of antibodies could have survived the virus. Why are there separate standards of practice in this country for treating this virus. It is shameful.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were also separate - and unmentioned - standards of practice about who is getting the vaccine.

UK health system is almost at breaking point. On the day after Christmas Day ... over 8,000 ambulance callouts. Some patients being treated in the back of the ambulances because there is no room in hospitals.

UK expects to approve the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine this week, to try to get on top of this surge.

Source: Ch7 morning TV News

On Christmas Day in Sydney, a couple of hundred backpackers (mostly from UK and Ireland) decided to gather on Bronte beach for a big party. Likely due to being young, and stupid, and away from home for Christmas.
Bronte beach is part of the Northern Beaches, which is in lockdown.

The police were called, party broken up. And now there are calls for these backpackers to be deported. The local MP is so upset ... some people were spending Christmas alone, others were split from families ... to try to get on top of this outbreak. And these irresponsible backpackers were brazenly living it up, in a country that is not their own.

Calls for partying backpackers to be deported

On Christmas Day in Sydney, a couple of hundred backpackers (mostly from UK and Ireland) decided to gather on Bronte beach for a big party. Likely due to being young, and stupid, and away from home for Christmas.
Bronte beach is part of the Northern Beaches, which is in lockdown.

The police were called, party broken up. And now there are calls for these backpackers to be deported. The local MP is so upset ... some people were spending Christmas alone, others were split from families ... to try to get on top of this outbreak. And these irresponsible backpackers were brazenly living it up, in a country that is not their own.

Calls for partying backpackers to be deported

Really sorry (on behalf of the UK)
How are they even in Australia?!

Really sorry (on behalf of the UK)
How are they even in Australia?!

Presumably they decided not to leave when our borders slammed shut, back in March.
People were given time to leave, if they wanted to. And people can still leave to go back to their homelands (as my US friend did in June).

Maybe now their extended visas will be revoked and they will have to leave.
They are saying that they can use face recognition technology to identify all of them, as their passport details are all on file here.

Well, well, well... finally the truth comes out.

Now if only UK could find a way of updating the world about its total number of active cases. I'm sure it's known (it's known for London, although the number isn't easy to find).

I wonder how much sequencing of RNA Russia is doing (I'm guessing quite a bit - since they have a lot of sequencer machines).

Different cultures certain work at different speeds, that's for sure.

Now if only UK could find a way of updating the world about its total number of active cases. I'm sure it's known (it's known for London, although the number isn't easy to find).

I wonder how much sequencing of RNA Russia is doing (I'm guessing quite a bit - since they have a lot of sequencer machines).

Different cultures certain work at different speeds, that's for sure.

If you look up the ONS stats they update daily on the number of patients in hospital and the number on ventilators.

I read earlier that some scientists believe we had up to 100,000 new cases per day at the spring peak (when we weren’t testing people unless they were admitted to hospital). I think that sounds like a high estimate, but nevertheless it was clearly many times higher than what was actually recorded. I guess we’ll probably never know.

If you look up the ONS stats they update daily on the number of patients in hospital and the number on ventilators.

I read earlier that some scientists believe we had up to 100,000 new cases per day at the spring peak (when we weren’t testing people unless they were admitted to hospital). I think that sounds like a high estimate, but nevertheless it was clearly many times higher than what was actually recorded. I guess we’ll probably never know.

Which is of course not the same thing as "number of active cases." Usually, the number of active cases is at least 10X that of the hospitalized (and the ratio is an important thing to study - and know).

I'll post about California's stats here in a bit. It's been interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lexus24