Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

US Coronavirus: Michigan's Covid-19 crisis could be a sign of what's to come for the US, expert says - CNN

As the US races to vaccinate more Americans, Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations are rising, predominantly among younger people who haven't yet gotten a shot.

Some experts worry this might only be the start of what's to come in the next weeks.Michigan is already in the middle of a violent surge, and one epidemiologist says other states should be paying close attention.

"Michigan is really the bellwether for what it looks like when the B.1.1.7 variant ... spreads in the United States," Dr. Celine Gounder told CNN on Sunday. "It's causing a surge in cases and it's causing more severe disease, which means that even younger people, people in their 30s, 40s and 50s are getting very sick and being hospitalized from this."“

[...]

“The last 20 to 30% are going to be the hardest because a lot of folks in this country are still hesitant to get the vaccine. We're seeing it all over the country," Reiner said. "We need to really get down on the grassroots level, talk to people about their hesitancy and get shots into arms."
"Because if we don't vaccinate that last 30% or so, we're still going to have to live with this virus for a very long time."“

You've been vaccinated. So what should you do with your vaccine card?

pretty sure you could at least have similar mutations occurring in different places... some genetic virus researcher could probably calculate how many mutations are possible based on how big this virus's genome is and maybe some mutations are just more likely based on how the genes are configured, IMHO. of course it is not a simple equation because you can have "multiple mutations" which the researchers are looking at now. all IMHO.

I posted a video interview, above, with Scott Gottlieb, former director of FDA, and he addresses this issue. He is on the board of Pfizer, and he says that their scientists are now looking at all the possible mutations AND which ones are the most likely, and considering developing a vaccine that would be effective for these possible future mutations.

I have a question, something I’ve been wondering about.

Are mutations always unique to a single individual source when they originate? Does a particular variant always start in a single individual, and then spread from that one person? Or can more than one person undergo the exact same mutation separately, therefore a new variant originating in multiple sources? I would guess the first, but idk. Dr. Ding mentioned that a mutation can occur within someone who may be elderly and be immunocomprosed, and the virus may stay longer in his/her body, therefore having more time to replicate and undergo a mutation.

hmmmmm??? Where is Rods, lately?
I think we need her on this one....

Omg, happy dance, Biden administration Secretary of State (paraphrasing): “We’re going to be the world leader in helping the world get vaccinated”. Yay! This is what I’m talking about!! This is a global issue and we are (supposed to be) leader of the free world. Nobody is safe until we are all safe.

Eta: Talking about COVAX! “We are the largest contributor to that”. Yay, this made my day!

Yes, yes.............. <modsnip> we are back in the world, we are back in the world.

I just hated, HATED, how everyone around the world thought we were just the biggest lot of selfish, narrowminded people.

So, they better stick to it.... hold their word....... whatever we do to help underserved countries will always come back to our benefit in the long run, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
COVID-19 almost killed him; on Saturday, New Jersey man ran 20 miles between hospitals that saved him

0f689b86d1f0c2bbd319adaddbdfc827

Paulo Santos (top center) with wife Christine Santos (left) and their children Ava (bottom center) and Paulo Jr. at Jersey Shore University Medical Center after Paulo's 20-mile run Saturday.

On April 10, 2020, Paulo Santos staggered up the driveway of his Manalapan, New Jersey, home, leaning heavily on a walker. The distance was only a few feet. It felt like scaling Mount Everest.

“I couldn’t stand for more than 30 seconds at a time without my legs collapsing from weakness,” he recalled.

Santos had just been discharged from the hospital, where a near-fatal case of COVID-19 forced him onto a ventilator for two weeks. He’d lost 45 pounds. When he took off his shirt, his wife of 11 years was stunned.

“He was so gaunt,” Christine Santos said, “he had excess skin hanging.”

16879f9ea0abc35e43c798e88da594ac

Members of the staff at CentraState Healthcare System, Freehold, send Paulo Santos off on his 20-mile run Saturday

5ed0597c2f5351749b1bffb5a7eaf3ed

An overwhlemed Paulo Santos (in red) is greeted by wife Christine Santos (left) upon his arrival at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune after running 20 miles from CentraState Healthcare in Freehold Saturday.

How he was saved
While Santos was on life support, doctors made the crucial decision to transfer him to Jersey Shore University Medical Center, which had gained approval to use the drug Remdesivir on COVID patients. Dr. Eric Costanzo, director of critical care services at Jersey Shore, had assembled a “prone” team to deal with intubated patients. Lying prone — on the stomach, arms positioned above the shoulders — maximizes oxygen intake for struggling lungs. The problem: Over a long term, that position causes nerve damage.

The prone team consists of a respiratory therapist and five attendants to ensure patients aren’t lying in one position for too long.

“We’ve extubated 170 critically ill COVID cases,” Costanzo said. “We haven’t had negative feedback on nerve issues.”

711b25b84eca0a0e8955cd8da6e44d4e

Paulo Santos (center, in red) is greeted by members of the staff of Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune upon his arrival after running 20 miles Saturday.

Thus began a long road back, which included a post-COVID heart attack. On Saturday, exactly 12 months after his discharge, the 40-year-old turned the page once and for all with a remarkable feat. He ran the 20 miles from Freehold Township’s CentraState Healthcare System, where he initially checked in last March, to Neptune’s Jersey Shore University Medical Center, where he was transferred in a desperate bid to keep him alive.

5531e6749d2a0bb61a5eb4b648444708

He ran to raise money for the doctors and nurses who saved him, and mostly to say thank you. The feat took a little under five hours. Staff members from each hospital gathered at both the starting and finish lines, holding signs and cheering.

Absolutely wonderful story.....
Love and conviction...

Real-world Israeli study shows SA variant can break through Pfizer vaccin

Pfizer says vaccine protection lasts at least 6 months after 2nd shot

"In the Pfizer-BioNTech trial, six cases of the variant were observed, none of them in people who had been given the vaccine — indicating an efficacy of 100 percent, it said."

So, which is it?! The ongoing contradiction of information is maddening about this pandemic.

I am not maddened... I am more alert to stay on top of as much as we can....

I truly feel we are still building the plane, though it left the runway long ago...
I think everyone expected things to "get going".... but there are definitely consequences.

Pfizer is not talking yet...

And we still don't have breakthrough info on the Brazilian... which will probably be more important news than any.
Brazilian is now #2 variant in US, after British.....
The huge cluster in Massachusetts is still a mystery to me, but Florida is the #2 state with this variant, so I know I am on high alert with anything that comes out.... even if contradictory...

Great. I knew it was not a good sign when I was issued seven new N95 masks a few months ago at work. Side issue, I am really tired after a 9 hour day wearing an N95 mask.

As I have said before.... your life is so much more intense, given your mandatory work schedule, with not as faithful work companions...

I can imagine misery-- with those N95s. Though I will always wear a mask inside. stores... I find myself ripping off the mask even before I get back to my car.... Guess, I can't imagine for 9 straight hours....

All I’ve seen regarding a variant cluster here was reference to “a cluster on cape cod” In an article a week or so ago. I have not been able to find anything further detailed. ( which is weird maybe I’m just missing it) because I was definitely curious about it myself.

I am not maddened... I am more alert to stay on top of as much as we can....

I truly feel we are still building the plane, though it left the runway long ago...
I think everyone expected things to "get going".... but there are definitely consequences.

Pfizer is not talking yet...

And we still don't have breakthrough info on the Brazilian... which will probably be more important news than any.
Brazilian is now #2 variant in US, after British.....
The huge cluster in Massachusetts is still a mystery to me, but Florida is the #2 state with this variant, so I know I am on high alert with anything that comes out.... even if contradictory...

A study in college students will help determine when it’s safe to unmask | Boston.com
more at link
BOULDER, Colo. – A week before she would have become eligible for a coronavirus vaccine, Madden Brewster agreed to forgo a shot for months to help scientists answer one of the most pressing questions of the pandemic: When can we all stop wearing our masks?

Brewster, a 24-year-old graduate student at the University of Colorado at Boulder, is as impatient as anyone for the pandemic to end, but delaying her shot may be her most powerful way to contribute. She is one of the first volunteers in a massive study unfolding at 20 college campuses. It aims to determine how well the Moderna vaccine prevents vaccinated people from becoming unwitting carriers of the virus.

To find an answer, researchers need to run an experiment — and make a big ask of college students: Flip a coin and get the vaccine now, or put off a shot for four months. Only by studying both groups will researchers determine how well vaccines work in stanching the virus’s spread.

All I’ve seen regarding a variant cluster here was reference to “a cluster on cape cod” In an article a week or so ago. I have not been able to find anything further detailed. ( which is weird maybe I’m just missing it) because I was definitely curious about it myself.

What I have read is that the Cape Cod cluster may be responsible for MA being the US state with the 2nd highest number of cases of the Brazil variant.
FL has now (since Sunday) become #1 with the highest number of cases of the Brazil variant. Although the numbers are only taken from a sampling of positive cases - they are not a tally of all the cases. Apparently they are not testing every positive case to see what variant of the virus it may or may not be.

Paywalled:
xx1.JPG

As coronavirus cases continue to spike across Massachusetts, the state has the second highest number of reported cases of the more contagious Brazilian variant in the U.S. and ranks high for U.K. variant cases, prompting public health experts urge residents to stay on high alert.
The Bay State was leading the country for the number of reported cases of the P.1 Brazilian variant until Florida moved ahead on Sunday.
The variant cases are based on a sampling of COVID-19 positive specimens, and do not represent the total number of variant cases that may be circulating.
Massachusetts ranks high for coronavirus variant cases, as infections spike across state

COVID Variants Driving Up Case Counts On Cape Cod

Detection of a large cluster and multiple introductions of the P.1 SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern in Massachusetts

“The detection of over 50 cases of the P.1 variant, a VoC that has been associated with increased transmissibility and reinfection, in less than a month in MA is concerning.

That many of these genomes appear to reflect multiple independent introductions of P.1 into New England, and transportation of this variant between several US states, points to likely widespread circulation of this VoC across the country. While our understanding of the increased transmissibility of the P.1 variant is still unfolding, the large cluster of identical and nearly identical genomes–a pattern of genetic diversity consistent with superspreading-- highlights the ongoing risk of rapid spread of SARS-CoV-2, and in particular for more transmissible lineages. The extent of community transmission of P.1 in Massachusetts and across the US is currently unknown, however, it is likely that the P.1 variant is already or will soon be circulating in communities and ongoing surveillance will be critical to understanding the trajectory and impact of the P.1 variant.”

A friend who has been designing rapid Covid tests (and thus obviously really pays attention to all the Covid news) just shared this.

It's a pretty small sample b/c there's not much of it in Israel, but they're finding those double vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine actually have a HIGHER rate of prevalance of the South African variant than those who aren't vaccinated.

South African variant can 'break through' Pfizer vaccine, Israeli study says

“Our results show reduced effectiveness against the [South African] variant only in a short window of time (7-13 days post-second dose) since all the breakthrough cases we saw were in this time frame,”

“Our results show reduced effectiveness against the [South African] variant only in a short window of time (7-13 days post-second dose) since all the breakthrough cases we saw were in this time frame,”
Hasn't the info been that you're "immune" when you hit the 2-week mark after the second dose?

(I put "immune" in quotations as it's unsure at this time how long that will last....boosters are perhaps in our future.)

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member