Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
See Texas at :33 seconds

Meanwhile, a couple days ago, Texas Gov. Abbott says state is ‘very close’ to herd immunity. The data tells a different story.

From the above link:

“Lauren Ancel Meyers, a biology professor at the University of Texas at Austin and director of its covid-19 modeling consortium, said that “a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding” has surrounded the herd immunity threshold, and that several factors could still influence it.

“It depends on the efficacy and duration of immunity acquired through infection or vaccination, whether we have pockets of low immunity in our communities and whether there are emerging variants that can evade immunity,” Meyers said.“

Michigan officials request help as COVID-19 cases surge

“Nowhere is the coronavirus roaring back more fiercely than Michigan. There are an alarming number of cases in the state, nearly as many now as there were during the worst of the pandemic.

Michigan has the highest new cases per capita in the nation, 72% greater than the next highest state. Michigan's positivity rate is nearly three times more than the national average. Nearly two dozen hospitals in the state are at least 90% full.

"The situation in Michigan is pretty concerning. It's as bad as it was over the holidays. The variants are definitely one of the drivers of it," said Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University School of Public Health.

There is growing concern about what that could mean for the rest of the U.S.”

Phase 3 Prevention Trial Showed 81% Reduced Risk of Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infections with Subcutaneous Administration of REGEN-COV™ (casirivimab with imdevimab) | Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc.
April 12, 2021

Study bolsters the case that antibody drugs can protect against Covid-19.
April 11, 2021

Less than 1 percent of fully vaccinated Houston residents are catching COVID-19, officials say

Covid-19: Britain Begins to Reopen, Emerging From One of the World’s Longest Lockdowns

Massachusetts may be seeing an 'uncoupling' of COVID-19 cases and deaths | Boston.com
Experts estimate that the three variants of concern now account for more than half of Massachusetts cases.

“Dr. Bronwyn MacInnis, the director of pathogen genomic surveillance at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, testified to lawmakers that, as of Monday night, the three so-called “variants of concern,” which are more transmissible than initial versions of the virus, had risen to make up more than 50 percent of the statewide sampling of cases examined by the Cambridge research center.

“The horse is out of the gate,” MacInnis said, calling the threshold “significant” if not “terribly surprising.”“

[...]

““Cases obviously we want down, but … I think we’re seeing a bit of an uncoupling between the rate of case prevalence and new cases, and the consequences of hospitalizations and deaths,” Biddinger said during the hearing Tuesday, adding that the new phenomenon makes it “incredibly hard” to analyze the data given how hospitalization and death trends already lag behind reported infections.“

NY:

Covid in NY: Hospitalizations, new cases both rise

“The statewide percentage of people testing positive for the virus on Monday was 3.9% and the positive test rate’s seven-day average was 3.16%, down from 3.2% the day before.“

How the Coronavirus Variants Are Spreading in New York City

New York to Provide New, Direct Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccines for College Students
All New Yorkers age 16 and older are now eligible for vaccination; Gov. Andrew Cuomo is focusing his latest effort on college students

“New York state is focusing its latest COVID-19 vaccination campaign on getting college students dosed before they leave campus for the summer.

The state will provide a new, direct allocation of 35,000 vaccines to SUNY and private colleges to shore up protection for students before they leave this semester, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday.“

Last edited:
Detection of a large cluster and multiple introductions of the P.1 SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern in Massachusetts
April 2, 2021

“Results

All three global VoCs (B.1.1.7, B.1.351, and P.1) have now been detected in MA. However, unlike B.1.1.7 and B.1.351, P.1 has shown a rapid rise in frequency in the few weeks following its first detection on March 16th, 2021 (Figure 1). Phylogenetic analysis of these 54 P.1 genomes from MA, alongside four additional P.1 genomes from neighbouring states (two from Connecticut (CT) and one each from Maine (ME) and Rhode Island (RI)) and 895 other global P.1 sequences from GISAID, 6 1suggests at least six introductions of P.1 into MA and at least eight introductions of P.1 into the New England region, likely from both international and domestic sources (Figure 2).

A second, smaller cluster of P.1 genomes contains four genomes from MA and two from Nebraska, from samples collected close in time to the MA samples. The direction of the link between the two sets cannot be reliably determined. The remaining five MA P.1 genomes likely represent four or five additional independent introductions into the state, given their substantial genetic distances from each other and the other MA genomes (4-17 SNP differences). Two of these genomes cluster with several genomes from Italy, suggesting a probable P.1 importation from Europe.

The single P.1 genomes available from Maine and Rhode Island are genetically distinct from others currently detected in New England, suggesting that they are further independent introductions into the region. Notably, these P.1 genomes cluster with genomes from Florida and Washington, respectively, suggesting domestic spread of the P.1 variant between New England and other US states.“

7 minute lead piece on J&J, Dr. Fauci speaks

Japan Covid: 100 days until Tokyo Games 2021 but Japan has vaccinated less than 1% of its population - CNN

“With 100 days to go until the Games, already postponed a year due to the coronavirus pandemic, questions remain over how Tokyo can hold a massive sporting event and keep volunteers, athletes, officials -- and the Japanese public -- safe from Covid-19.

That concern has been amplified by Japan's battle with a looming fourth wave. The country passed 500,000 total coronavirus cases on Saturday, and some prefectures are again tightening their Covid-19 restrictions as daily infections grow. Hideaki Oka, a professor at Saitama Medical University, said Japan may not be able to contain the latest wave before the Games begin on July 23.

While Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga reiterated Monday his pledge to secure 100 million vaccine doses by the end of June, so far Japan has only vaccinated about 1.1 million of its 126 million people -- less than 1% of the population. Only 0.4% have received two doses.“

*much more at link

Last edited:
The AZ and J&J setbacks have thrown the Irish vaccination schedule into disarray. Terribly disappointing for the high-risk people who have suddenly had their long-awaited appointments cancelled and don't know when they can get another one...

Vaccine Ireland: Up to 100,000 to miss out on Covid vaccine jab this week as vaccination clinics are cancelled

Up to 100,000 people – including those with underlying illnesses who are at serious risk from coronavirus as well as healthcare workers – will miss out on Covid-19 vaccination this week.

The HSE has had to cancel clinics giving the AstraZeneca vaccine for most people, except the over-60s, after its roll-out was plunged into disarray by the decision of the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) to restrict the jab’s use due to a link with rare blood clots.

It was due to be a breakthrough week of up to 180,000 vaccinations but most have been halted except for those for the over-70s and a small number of over-60s.

The backlog comes as hopes were dealt another blow yesterday after Johnson & Johnson, which was due to supply around 40,800 of its one-shot jab this week, postponed deliveries to Europe after US regulators investigated a small number of blood clots in people who got the vaccine.

Uncertainty now hangs over the 605,000 doses of the ‘game-changer’ vaccine which are scheduled to arrive here up to the end of June.

There are growing fears the target to have more than 80pc of the population having received at least one dose of vaccine by the end of June – a key element of release from lockdown – will not be met.

(More at link)

I was concerned about taking any pain medication (understanding that the point of aspirin is to thin the blood) because I wondered if it would interfere with my body producing antibodies.

I know absolutely nothing about this BTW. It was simply my own musing. It was almost as if I wanted the vaccine to go rampant on my system so my body would produce every single antibody that it could produce.

I really don't know either, but, thankfully I didn't have any pain or side effects from the J&J shot. It's been 12 days since I got the shot, so I think I'm moving past the time when clots are expected, anyway.

But, 6 American women with clots out of 7 million vaccinated is statistically insignificant.

I just can't figure out why they're pausing the shot based on that. They've said they don't even know if it's related. My husband was supposed to get the J&J shot in two days. It's already scheduled. I wonder if they'll call and cancel?

The AZ and J&J setbacks have thrown the Irish vaccination schedule into disarray. Terribly disappointing for the high-risk people who have suddenly had their long-awaited appointments cancelled and don't know when they can get another one...

Vaccine Ireland: Up to 100,000 to miss out on Covid vaccine jab this week as vaccination clinics are cancelled

Up to 100,000 people – including those with underlying illnesses who are at serious risk from coronavirus as well as healthcare workers – will miss out on Covid-19 vaccination this week.

The HSE has had to cancel clinics giving the AstraZeneca vaccine for most people, except the over-60s, after its roll-out was plunged into disarray by the decision of the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) to restrict the jab’s use due to a link with rare blood clots.

It was due to be a breakthrough week of up to 180,000 vaccinations but most have been halted except for those for the over-70s and a small number of over-60s.

The backlog comes as hopes were dealt another blow yesterday after Johnson & Johnson, which was due to supply around 40,800 of its one-shot jab this week, postponed deliveries to Europe after US regulators investigated a small number of blood clots in people who got the vaccine.

Uncertainty now hangs over the 605,000 doses of the ‘game-changer’ vaccine which are scheduled to arrive here up to the end of June.

There are growing fears the target to have more than 80pc of the population having received at least one dose of vaccine by the end of June – a key element of release from lockdown – will not be met.

(More at link)

It is hugely disappointing. Our vaccine schedule has been thrown into disarray also. Our PM sort of shrugged and said we'll get the vaccines whenever. But since he did that there has been huge pressure by many people for him to get his act together. We want a definite plan and schedule.

So he is now speaking with the different states about mass vaccination sites for the 60+ year old people who can have AstraZeneca shots.
Then he needs to pull his finger out and get our Pfizer orders from whoever will give them to us. imo

Sometimes it is good to let others go first, and see what the result is. But we have had our borders closed for so very long now, and we want to see light at the end of the tunnel.

RSBM But we have had our borders closed for so very long now, and we want to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Light At The End of Another Tunnel (for art only link)
20210104-201420-Light%20at%20the%20End%20of%20Another%20Tunnel.jpg

It is hugely disappointing. Our vaccine schedule has been thrown into disarray also. Our PM sort of shrugged and said we'll get the vaccines whenever. But since he did that there has been huge pressure by many people for him to get his act together. We want a definite plan and schedule.

So he is now speaking with the different states about mass vaccination sites for the 60+ year old people who can have AstraZeneca shots.
Then he needs to pull his finger out and get our Pfizer orders from whoever will give them to us. imo

Sometimes it is good to let others go first, and see what the result is. But we have had our borders closed for so very long now, and we want to see light at the end of the tunnel.
I hope you get back on track quickly in Australia! Fortunately we are still continuing to vaccinate the over-70s with Pfizer and Moderna (my mother is getting her second shot tomorrow. Yay!) but the AZ and J&J doses were supposed to help us ramp up vaccination of the rest of the adult population over the next few months.

We have been in lockdown here since Christmas... Until just this week we had a 5km travel limit. Now we are allowed to travel within our own counties but pretty much everything you can think of, from getting your hair cut to clothes shopping to eating inside or outside a restaurant to going for a pint to visiting friends or family, is still banned. We were hoping AZ and J&J would be our ticket to some semblance of normality by summer! Hopefully we will get back on track too.

Don't think you're safe flying just because international flights are requiring proof of vaccination.

LONDON—Airlines are battling a scourge of passengers traveling with falsified Covid-19 health certificates.

The documents are often the Covid-19 test results required by many countries on arrival. The International Air Transport Association industry body says it has tracked fake certificates in multiple countries, from France to Brazil, Bangladesh and Afghanistan. Border control authorities and police forces have also reported arrests of people selling documents in the U.K., Spain, Indonesia and Zimbabwe, among others.
Fake Covid-19 Certificates Hit Airlines, Which Now Have to Police Them

My sister, a Hospice nurse, told me I shouldn't really worry about the blood clot thing, but that it wouldn't hurt me to take a low-dose aspirin daily just to be on the safe side.

heard on the radio recently that the clots from birth control can be treated with anticoagulants (heparin) which I imagine is like the aspirin effect- BUT these new 6 possibly vaccine (?) related clots are accompanied by low platelets, so you do not want blood thinners for them. I am not a dr so IMO, see what news you hear- I will check for a citation.

[USA TODAY: Latest World and US News - USATODAY.com › story › news › 2021/04/14
3 hours ago — Blood clots and COVID-19 vaccines: How scientists are starting to unravel ... The Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which has been delivered to more than 6.8 ... taking the blood-thinner heparin, almost certainly got sick from the vaccine, he said. ... "If you mistreat it, people die," she said, "and if you don't treat it, ...]

counter intuitive...

Last edited:

they started doing mass J&J vacs around here last weekend and I could have gotten an appt- my Pfizer appt (#1) is tomorrow. I was tempted by the "one and done" but decided to go ahead with the appt I had. For all the people who say "We do not know everything about these vaccines" - that is true. When I got a chicken pox shot (eek... 50+ yrs ago) no one knew I would need shingles shots. But we cannot wait 70 yrs until we have more data to get a COVID shot, IMO.

they started doing mass J&J vacs around here last weekend and I could have gotten an appt- my Pfizer appt (#1) is tomorrow. I was tempted by the "one and done" but decided to go ahead with the appt I had. For all the people who say "We do not know everything about these vaccines" - that is true. When I got a chicken pox shot (eek... 50+ yrs ago) no one knew I would need shingles shots. But we cannot wait 70 yrs until we have more data to get a COVID shot, IMO.

Here's how I look at it: the vaccine is the ONLY way out of this- there is nothing else.

heard on the radio recently that the clots from birth control can be treated with anticoagulants (heparin) which I imagine is like the aspirin effect- BUT these new 6 possibly vaccine (?) related clots are accompanied by low platelets, so you do not want blood thinners for them. I am not a dr so IMO, see what news you hear- I will check for a citation.

[USA TODAY: Latest World and US News - USATODAY.com › story › news › 2021/04/14
3 hours ago — Blood clots and COVID-19 vaccines: How scientists are starting to unravel ... The Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which has been delivered to more than 6.8 ... taking the blood-thinner heparin, almost certainly got sick from the vaccine, he said. ... "If you mistreat it, people die," she said, "and if you don't treat it, ...]

counter intuitive...

Thanks for this link. The quote above was in relation to a similar condition called heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, or HITT, although it may also be true for vaccine-induced thrombocytopenia, or VITT.

More from your link:

Most of the time, it's difficult to directly connect a serious health problem with a vaccine, but with the J&J and AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccines, "there is a smoking gun," said Dr. Theodore Warkentin, who co-wrote an April 9 paper describing unusual blood clotting conditions in 11 patients who received the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine.

Anyone who develops the condition one to three weeks after vaccination, who hasn't been taking the blood-thinner heparin, almost certainly got sick from the vaccine, he said.

Diagnosis may be challenging
Warkentin and his colleagues named the condition vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia, or VITT. It is believed to be similar to a rare problem seen either in patients recovering from surgery or from those on heparin, said Warkentin, a hematologist at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada.

In all cases, the immune system creates antibodies that activate platelets in the bloodstream, he said. The platelets, which normally promote wound healing, end up clumping and causing blood clots, often in the brain.

That also leads to low levels of platelets circulating in the bloodstream, which is called thrombocytopenia.

COVID-19 deniers event leaves host dead, 12 infected

“A leading Norwegian conspiracy theorist who denied coronavirus was a dangerous disease has died from the virus after hosting two events at his property.

Local newspaper Hadeland reported that at least 12 people had been infected with the virus after they attended the illegal gatherings.“

CDC investigates death of Virginia woman who died after getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine | Daily Mail Online

An article with more detail on the woman that died -from cortical vein thrombosis after getting the J&J shot.

“President Joe Biden said in the Oval Office on Tuesday: 'I made sure we have 600 million doses of the mRNA - not of either Johnson & Johnson or AstraZeneca.

'So, there is enough vaccine that is basically 100 per cent unquestionable for every single solitary American,' he said.

Now, everyone who had a J&J appointment has been told they'll get one of the other doses instead - which suddenly eats into the country's stock pile of each, and sets future appointments back even further.

Pfizer said it was ramping up production by 10 per cent in light of the J&J halt.”

[...]

“Experts said that the delay will inevitably set the vaccine effort back.

'This will delay our vaccination efforts,' Dr. Kavita Patel told CNBC, saying Pfizer and Moderna could not be expected to just 'pick up the slack' as the FDA and CDC says they will.

'This is a devastating blow to this J&J vaccine effort in the United States.

'Johnson and Johnson was incredibly useful for mobile vaccination. You could just do one shot.

'This is definitely going to cause a ripple effect in our attempt in the United States. In the next one to three weeks, we just can’t substitute it.' “

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member