Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #95

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do not understand people who are not getting vaccinated unless they have a specific health problem that would compromise their response. I ran into a person who lives near me who "did not want to hear if I was vaccinated or not," so I realized that she was not. She believes that eating organic food and being "generally healthy" will protect her. She also said that she was traveling a lot- I know that she has distant family so I imagined that she needed to do something that had to do with them because it did not sound like pleasure travel. On a basic level, I do not get why some one would refuse- even if the vaccine only provided a small amount of protection, why would you refuse that? Makes no sense to me. I have always gotten the flu shot t00. Even if they get the strains wrong in a particular year, isn't some protection better than none? I do understand people who question a lot of modern medicine- people who reject drugs that have bad side effects or other treatments that are unproven, but with this pandemic, it seems that a shot is less dangerous than the virus. Are people afraid of the clotting? Side effects?

I have a friend around my age (70's) she is intelligent and educated and yet she refuses to get the vaccine stating she doesn't believe it is safe. I have had in depth conversations with her but she remains steadfast to the point that she now refuses to even talk about it. I think any older person that refuses to get a vaccine is acting stupidly---not that she is stupid, but her behavior is stupid. I don't plan on seeing her this summer because she is not vaccinated ----

I'm sure you're right.

We're in brand new territory here, but hopefully, before another pandemic breaks out--which I hope never happens--we'll get a lot of these things settled so we don't have so many questions lingering.

When I thought about it more ... I guess the federal law has already had its first test in the courts. Through the Houston case.

A Texas federal judge on Saturday upheld a Houston hospital system’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for staff, in a decision that could offer clarity on the legal question of whether companies can require the shot.
Employers have the right to attach all kinds of rules and expectations in exchange for a paycheck, vaccine-related and otherwise, according to the judge.
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has previously said companies can mandate vaccination for in-person job returns.
‘It’s a fight you don’t want’: Will the Texas court ruling requiring employees to get the COVID-19 vaccine unleash more cases?

I have a friend around my age (70's) she is intelligent and educated and yet she refuses to get the vaccine stating she doesn't believe it is safe. I have had in depth conversations with her but she remains steadfast to the point that she now refuses to even talk about it. I think any older person that refuses to get a vaccine is acting stupidly---not that she is stupid, but her behavior is stupid. I don't plan on seeing her this summer because she is not vaccinated ----

I'm hearing that as well from a few. People can only think what they think, and it's too bad she won't discuss it anymore.
Perhaps as more and more get their shots your friend will start to realize that the shot isn't harmful.

When I thought about it more ... I guess the federal law has already had its first test in the courts. Through the Houston case.

A Texas federal judge on Saturday upheld a Houston hospital system’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for staff, in a decision that could offer clarity on the legal question of whether companies can require the shot.
Employers have the right to attach all kinds of rules and expectations in exchange for a paycheck, vaccine-related and otherwise, according to the judge.
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has previously said companies can mandate vaccination for in-person job returns.
‘It’s a fight you don’t want’: Will the Texas court ruling requiring employees to get the COVID-19 vaccine unleash more cases?

To be sure. Private companies are often given leeway in their rules.

Seeing as a health facility will likely be coming into contact with people whose immune systems are compromised, I don't think it hurts to ask workers to be vaccinated.

My sister had to get vaccinated and she's not even the kind of nurse that sees patients anymore. But, the entire Hospice company required the shots, even from management positions.

I really do not understand people who are not getting vaccinated unless they have a specific health problem that would compromise their response. I ran into a person who lives near me who "did not want to hear if I was vaccinated or not," so I realized that she was not. She believes that eating organic food and being "generally healthy" will protect her. She also said that she was traveling a lot- I know that she has distant family so I imagined that she needed to do something that had to do with them because it did not sound like pleasure travel. On a basic level, I do not get why some one would refuse- even if the vaccine only provided a small amount of protection, why would you refuse that? Makes no sense to me. I have always gotten the flu shot t00. Even if they get the strains wrong in a particular year, isn't some protection better than none? I do understand people who question a lot of modern medicine- people who reject drugs that have bad side effects or other treatments that are unproven, but with this pandemic, it seems that a shot is less dangerous than the virus. Are people afraid of the clotting? Side effects?

Why would these hospital employees, many who have patient contact think it is just find and dandy for them not to be vaccinated, and potentially spread the virus to patients? It is th epitome of selfishness - if they find they cannot get vaccinated then they should find another job, and certainly not in a medical health system.

Why would these hospital employees, many who have patient contact think it is just find and dandy for them not to be vaccinated, and potentially spread the virus to patients? It is th epitome of selfishness - if they find they cannot get vaccinated then they should find another job, and certainly not in a medical health system.
-

I think they're more scared of the vaccine than anything else. Our nation has a long history of being skeptical about medications and treatments.

I'm hearing that as well from a few. People can only think what they think, and it's too bad she won't discuss it anymore.
Perhaps as more and more get their shots your friend will start to realize that the shot isn't harmful.

A friend quoted a vaccine-resisting mutual friend as saying, “I guess I’ll have to get vaccinated if I want to see any of my friends.” I was rather annoyed that her motive for vaccination is to selfishly ensure her social life rather than mainly for the greater good of society and to protect her friends, but whatever gets the job done I guess. I won’t pretend that I’m not feeling unreasonably judgy about these people though. I just don’t understand people like that, or those who don’t want to endure a day or two of unpleasant reactions for the benefit of their community. I explained to one that in my experience getting Covid is much worse than the discomfort after the shots. I’m not sure if that made a dent in her hard head though. I live in a pretty non-compliant county in my state, so that probably gives me a dirty lens to look through.
JMO

‘We’re not sheep.’ Some in Charlotte’s least vaccinated areas remain wary of COVID shot — The Charlotte Observer

“Cook, who lives in Miller’s neighborhood, has no plans to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

“I don’t believe in it,” Cook said. “I’ve never had a flu shot either … To me, it’s a bunch of conspiracy.”

She hasn’t been wearing a mask either.

Cook has had COVID-19 twice, she said. Upper respiratory illnesses run in her family and she gets bronchitis often. The first time she had the coronavirus, in early 2020, she was so sick that she told her doctor: “I feel like I’m going to die.”

Still, she refuses to get the shot. “If you’re going to get sick, you’re going to get sick,” Cook said.”
———
And what about getting others sick? Don’t care about your family?

Please tell me none of these people dead set against the vaccine are not in close contact with the public.

(Well, one works at a dental office which is scary that it’s not a priority for their staff)
JMO

I think they're more scared of the vaccine than anything else. Our nation has a long history of being skeptical about medications and treatments.

I was afraid of the vaccine: I have never had a flu shot cause I have lots of allergies andI was afraid I would have a serious allergic reaction to the flu shot: Luckily, I never got the flu. I was initially terrified of the Covid vaccine- my husband got his two shots first and I was ambivalent: But since I have a brain I thought about it and figured out that serious reactions are really rare and my fear of Covid (as an elderly person), overtook my fear of the vaccine. I am so glad I am fully vaccinated. I knew I did not want to die an agonizing death on a ventilator- alone.

‘We’re not sheep.’ Some in Charlotte’s least vaccinated areas remain wary of COVID shot — The Charlotte Observer

“Cook, who lives in Miller’s neighborhood, has no plans to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

“I don’t believe in it,” Cook said. “I’ve never had a flu shot either … To me, it’s a bunch of conspiracy.”

She hasn’t been wearing a mask either.

Cook has had COVID-19 twice, she said. Upper respiratory illnesses run in her family and she gets bronchitis often. The first time she had the coronavirus, in early 2020, she was so sick that she told her doctor: “I feel like I’m going to die.”

Still, she refuses to get the shot. “If you’re going to get sick, you’re going to get sick,” Cook said.”
———
And what about getting others sick? Don’t care about your family?

Please tell me none of these people dead set against the vaccine are not in close contact with the public.

(Well, one works at a dental office which is scary that it’s not a priority for their staff)
JMO

I have an intense dislike and disrespect for anyone who works in a medical environment and is not vaccinated: that is so selfish and reckless. It makes me ill to even think I may go to my dentist and the hygienist may not be vaccinated (she is), but not all are.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article252212853.html

COVID-19 outbreak forces closure of Manatee government headquarters. 2 people have died

A COVID-19 outbreak that killed two IT staffers in Manatee County government and hospitalized three others has forced the shutdown of the county’s administrative building in downtown Bradenton.

On Monday, one of four IT staffers who had been hospitalized with COVID-19 died, according to Hopes. A fifth IT staffer who went to the doctor on Wednesday, died at home Thursday from COVID-19.

The only staffer in the department who didn’t contract the coronavirus was vaccinated.

To be sure. Private companies are often given leeway in their rules.

Seeing as a health facility will likely be coming into contact with people whose immune systems are compromised, I don't think it hurts to ask workers to be vaccinated.

My sister had to get vaccinated and she's not even the kind of nurse that sees patients anymore. But, the entire Hospice company required the shots, even from management positions.

According to the NY Times article that LadyL posted, it is not only private companies who can legally require vaccination.

"In addition to private companies, government entities such as school boards and the Army can require vaccinations for entry, service and travel, a practice that follows a 1905 Supreme Court ruling in Jacobson v. Massachusetts that allowed states to require people to be vaccinated against smallpox. That decision paved the way for public schools to require proof of vaccinations from students."

Yes, Your Employer Can Require You to Be Vaccinated

A friend quoted a vaccine-resisting mutual friend as saying, “I guess I’ll have to get vaccinated if I want to see any of my friends.” I was rather annoyed that her motive for vaccination is to selfishly ensure her social life rather than mainly for the greater good of society and to protect her friends, but whatever gets the job done I guess. I won’t pretend that I’m not feeling unreasonably judgy about these people though. I just don’t understand people like that, or those who don’t want to endure a day or two of unpleasant reactions for the benefit of their community. I explained to one that in my experience getting Covid is much worse than the discomfort after the shots. I’m not sure if that made a dent in her hard head though. I live in a pretty non-compliant county in my state, so that probably gives me a dirty lens to look through.
JMO

I have a US friend who said "Oh well, if Canada opens their border I guess I will have to get the shot so I can enter Canada, what do you think?"
I said "I think you should look at your motivation. You won't get the shot to protect yourself and others, to try to stop the pandemic, but you will get it to be able to cross into Canada."
I said this because I really am losing patience with the attitudes.

But as you say ... whatever gets the job done. <sigh>

Well, I bit the bullet so to say. I made airline reservations for October to go to the New Orleans Jazz Festival. Crossing fingers that things will be ok at that time. Large crowds and all is outdoors, and flying in a metal tube sharing air. My favorite annual vacation. Hotel and Southwest are both easily cancelled. We shall see. Crossing my fingers, toes, legs and eyes that the pandemic eases and the trip happens.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article252212853.html

COVID-19 outbreak forces closure of Manatee government headquarters. 2 people have died

A COVID-19 outbreak that killed two IT staffers in Manatee County government and hospitalized three others has forced the shutdown of the county’s administrative building in downtown Bradenton.

On Monday, one of four IT staffers who had been hospitalized with COVID-19 died, according to Hopes. A fifth IT staffer who went to the doctor on Wednesday, died at home Thursday from COVID-19.

The only staffer in the department who didn’t contract the coronavirus was vaccinated.

Like that old folk song from the 60's "Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing ----when will they ever learn"

I truly don't understand this ambivalence as to whether or not students (or employees) are vaccinated.

"Every state currently requires K-12 students to be vaccinated against some diseases, although the requirements – including which shots are deemed necessary and the reasons students can opt out – vary from one state to another."
Can schools require COVID-19 vaccines for students now that Pfizer's shot is authorized for kids 12 and up?

If children are required to be vaccinated against infectious diseases like measles in order to group together for hours in a confined setting, why the ambivalence towards people being vaccinated against another current potentially deadly/life altering viral disease?
I think the concern is with how quickly these vaccines were rolled out. How could they really do any extensive studies on their safety in such a short turnaround?

We were initially told that it takes 3 to 4 years to follow safety protocol to manufacture a brand new vaccine. There were ready to go in less than a year. :confused:

ETA: My husband and I are vaccinated m as is my 90 yr old mom, and both my grown kids. But I do understand the concern that some people have.

And I don't want my 6 yr old granddaughter to get the vaccination. I don't trust it in young kids yet.

Well, I bit the bullet so to say. I made airline reservations for October to go to the New Orleans Jazz Festival. Crossing fingers that things will be ok at that time. Large crowds and all is outdoors, and flying in a metal tube sharing air. My favorite annual vacation. Hotel and Southwest are both easily cancelled. We shall see. Crossing my fingers, toes, legs and eyes that the pandemic eases and the trip happens.

You've got till October for the situation to ease. Hope you have a wonderful time! :)

I think the concern is with how quickly these vaccines were rolled out. How could they really do any extensive studies on their safety in such a short turnaround?

We were initially told that it takes 3 to 4 years to follow safety protocol to manufacture a brand new vaccine. There were ready to go in less than a year. :confused:

Due to the high proliferation of covid, there were many volunteers the vaccines could be tested on. Unlike other vaccines where it might take years to have enough suitable volunteers who would be exposed to the disease/virus.

I think this post (below) says it best .... something we have researched quite well throughout these threads. And the additional ingredients are open for all to read about.

Interesting article: it seems to me that lots of people think this vaccine was developed in just a few months when in fact the basis of it has been around for over a decade- with a tweak for covid--- I think that fact has not been emphasized enough as far as educating people.

According to the NY Times article that LadyL posted, it is not only private companies who can legally require vaccination.

"In addition to private companies, government entities such as school boards and the Army can require vaccinations for entry, service and travel, a practice that follows a 1905 Supreme Court ruling in Jacobson v. Massachusetts that allowed states to require people to be vaccinated against smallpox. That decision paved the way for public schools to require proof of vaccinations from students."

Yes, Your Employer Can Require You to Be Vaccinated

Yes, they can. Some will, too, but probably fewer.

Come fall, if the virus starts to surge again, maybe more will. Locally, I don't know of any who are requiring the vaccine except the University. My sister's company is not based here.

Did you hear about the three federal marshals who were charged with contempt for not telling the judge if they'd been vaccinated? I read that someone felt they may have actually set that up. That will be an interesting one to follow. Here is an account -- this is not the one I read, but it covers the event.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...ge-charges-us-marshals-in-vaccination-dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm