Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #99

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So did I-- so my question is: Is there a downside to a booster? I mean so people who got the Pfizer shot will get the booster and the rest of us can't get it- is there a downside to a third shot? I am puzzled and confused and for those of us who got Moderna and can't get the shot in September (or maybe never?), does that put us more at risk for breakthrough infection.
Pfizer seems to have gotten a lot of data indicating immunity from it wanes. Moderna-not so much (immunity from it seems to be waning more slowly than from Pfizer). Who knows, maybe that's the issue. Moderna also wants to decrease the dose in half for its booster. FDA might think that was not adequately tested.

Pfizer seems to have gotten a lot of data indicating immunity from it wanes. Moderna-not so much (immunity from it seems to be waning more slowly than from Pfizer). Who knows, maybe that's the issue. Moderna also wants to decrease the dose in half for its booster. FDA might think that was not adequately tested.

Thanks for the info. makes sense. I believe the 2nd shot of Moderna contained a larger dose than Pfizer (from my recollection)- maybe that is why they think patients only need a half dose for a booster.

Ontario is keeping track and reporting daily covid case numbers in vaccinated, partially, and unvaccinated people. Ontario has a fully vaccinated rate of 67%, and 83% of the eligible population has had at least one dose.

Of the 746 cases today with a known vaccination status:

499, or 66.9 per cent, were in unvaccinated people.

68, or 9.1 per cent, had a single dose.

179, or 24 per cent, had two doses.

So we can see that 76% of the cases are in people who are not vaccinated or partially vaccinated.

The province's raw data on the vaccination status of cases does not include breakdowns by age.
That, and the fact that the populations of vaccinated and unvaccinated people in Ontario differ greatly by both size and demographics, are important caveats to note when examining cases by vaccination status.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-september-3-2021-update-1.6163713

COVID-19 vaccine tracker: tracing every dose of the coronavirus vaccine administered in Canada

I'm guessing a lot of the fully vaccinated are over 60 - and they are 6 months out or so. It's very concerning.

Wish the CDC would make up its mind about boosters. I am thinking I'm going to get one this weekend, will let you know how it goes. The only thing the CDC is considering is whether to make the 3rd dose smaller than the first two.

I would like to see a further breakdown of stats indicating which vaccine was received by those vaccinated covid patients who are in hospital.

Thank you! Interesting. Israel found that breakthrough cases corresponded to length of time since double vaccination. Since older adults (80+) were vaccinated first, breakthrough cases were first seen in that age group. I'm curious whether two months from now, we'll see deaths and breakthrough cases in a younger age group - the 60-80 age that was vaccinated next (in Canada).

I agree. Obviously, (because we're generally a clued-up bunch here):

No vaccine is 100% effective!

Immune function tends to decline with age.
Aging and the immune system: Can it be reversed?

Aging, Immunity, and COVID-19: How Age Influences the Host Immune Response to Coronavirus Infections?

There is not a *certain* known, or estimated, number of antibodies and/or memory B and/or T cells that provide lasting and/or durable protection against Sars-cov-2, whether that be measured against
1) infection
2) symptoms of illness
3) severe illness
4) hospitalization
5) death.

There will of course be individual differences in immune responses to vaccination. (IMO).

Until more studies are done, we won't know exactly what levels of various immune cells are needed for protection (IMO).
Also, according to the experts I have listened to, antibodies tend to rise, then peak and wane after any vaccination, but hopefully/usually memory (B&T) cells remain (JMO)

Understanding How Vaccines Work | CDC

Some of these concepts are addressed in the first hour of This Week In Virology #799

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli