Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pharmacists and online businesses are among those suppliers accused of capitalising on the public's panic, by charging exorbitant prices for products usually available for a couple of dollars.

The receipt showed the store owner bought his boxes of 50 at $11 a unit and then sold them at $200 - making a $189 profit on each sale.

This franchisor is just one of many, with another Sydney Chemist seen selling a box of 50 surgical masks for $399, and A Terry White Chemmart based in Adelaide asking customers for $700 for a box of 10 P2 masks.:eek:
Pharmacies caught price gouging, capitalising on coronavirus panic
What kind of a human being does something like this! It's shameful and perhaps (depending on location) illegal to boot!

Of your list, I wonder when/if Canada and US and others are going to add this type of recommendation.
    • Thailand
    • Japan
    • Republic of Korea
    • Taiwan
    • Singapore
    • Malaysia
    • Hong Kong
    • Macau

Right now I see flights about to land in Vancouver from Hong Kong and Phillipines., so made me think. I don't see the flight from Wuhan which is what I was looking for.

All I can think right now is that we're lucky that at the moment it's only asking those people to call self-isolate and call 111 if they get sick. We're lucky that it's not flights banned from those areas/countries, too :(

http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/202002/t20200207_2020605.shtml

2,447 new cases and 69 new deaths in Hubei province, China (yesterday in just Hubei province, was 2,987 new cases and 70 deaths)

Per google translation

Epidemic situation of new coronavirus infection in Hubei Province on February 6, 2020

From 00:00 to 24:00 on February 6, 2020, 2447 new cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection were added in Hubei Province, of which: 1501 in Wuhan....... There were 69 new deaths in the province, of which 64 were in Wuhan.........

As of 24:00 on February 6, 2020, Hubei Province has reported 22112 cases of pneumonia caused by new coronavirus infection, of which 11618 are in Wuhan...... 817 patients have been cured and discharged. There were 618 deaths, including: 478 in Wuhan.....

At present, 15,804 cases are still being treated in the hospital, of which 3161 are critically ill (see below, this should be "severe" MOO) and 841 are critically ill. They are all under isolation treatment at designated medical institutions. A total of 101,599 close contacts have been tracked, and 64,057 are still under medical observation. :eek:

ETA issue of translation as above bolded does indeed say critically ill for both the 3161 and 841 number? Lemme come back with another ETA after I translate yesterday's release as may have correct wording in that? Back in 10

ETA#2 Yesterday the same release site/format said ..... so I think above is typo on the 3161 and that should say severe, and 841 critical.

At present, 14314 cases are still being treated in the hospital, including 2328 cases of severe cases and 756 cases of critical cases, all of which are receiving isolation treatment at designated medical institutions. A total of 90,997 close contacts have been tracked, and 64,127 people are still under medical observation.

Jeez, and these are numbers just for the Hubei province

Last edited:
I remember when SARS was the big "bug", and it sort of fizzled to nothing. Maybe this will also fade away.

Yes, this is what I’m thinking/hoping, based on some conversations I had with a top medical professional, moo. It’s been so many years since SARS and so many advancements have been made in medicine, communications and technology and learned from SARS.

I wonder about other types of similar coronavirus’ popping up in the future. There was a video, I believe Dr. Fauci was discussing mutations, aspects the: to the virus’ (lack of) adaptability to humans, etc. Again, will post after catching up.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coronavirus-update-1.5455063

Live stream in 2 hours, 5:30 pm Vancouver time
http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1694661699927/

The woman who was tested on Tuesday after having family isolate in her house has two more folks associated with her presumptive testing positive today.

"A woman in her 50s had been identified as the second presumptive case in B.C. and health officials said that she had been in contact with family members visiting from Hubei province in China. They were told to self-isolate inside the woman's home. Henry said that further investigation within that household led to positive tests for the two new presumptive cases. She said one of the cases, a young man, is "very likely" the source of the coronavirus case announced on Tuesday, and the person displayed mild symptoms, so he did not seek medical attention.

Health officials pointed out they are recognizing more and more that young healthy people can have very mild symptoms that may manifest as a cold. B.C. will have four people sickened with the coronavirus, if the latest cases are confirmed at a national laboratory in Winnipeg,

A couple of articles were posted upthread about some studies showing Asian males are much more likely to get this CV. I really feel like there must be some truth in this. Otherwise I feel we’d be seeing far higher numbers at this point in non-Asian countries. MOO.

If true. I find this terrifying and straight out of a science fiction novel.

The New York Times article is only accessible if you have a paid subscription.

I googled around and found:

According to reports from the New York Times, senior Chinese officials have ordered the Wuhan government to “round up” and quarantine everyone in Wuhan who has been infected by the virus.

Sun Chunlan, a vice premier tasked with spearheading Beijing’s response to the outbreak, reportedly told investigators to go door to door checking temperatures and conducting interviews to suss out infected people who have not checked in with the authorities.

She said: Set up a 24-hour duty system. During these wartime conditions, there must be no deserters, or they will be nailed to the pillar of shame forever.

Plans for a mass roundup coincide with the completion of the Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan, which is scheduled to start taking patients today. The 600,000-square-foot facility was built in 10 days and contains 1,000 beds. But Wuoshenshan isn’t the only facility capable of housing huge numbers of infected people.

China is limiting access to ground zero of the crisis, forcing international media to rely on data from official government channels.

The Lancet, a respected medical journal, published research suggesting the number of infected could be as high as 75,815. Several academics in Hong Kong corroborate these findings. And across social media, unconfirmed reports suggest the crisis is much worse than what is being reported.

According to Al Jazeera, the Chinese government has broken ground on many similar facilities all across the country: Other facilities include a 1,000-bed hospital in Shenzhen, a 300-bed facility in Xuzhou, Jiangsu, another of unknown size in Harbin, Heilongjiang, and an 80-room building being repurposed as an infectious disease hospital in Nanchang, Jiangxi.

Is China setting the stage for a nation-wide roundup of coronavirus victims? The evidence is hard to ignore. The fight to combat the epidemic could be entering unprecedented territory.

Coronavirus-Stricken China Plots Mass Roundup as Cases Near 30,000

41 new cases in Japan, on the cruise ship near Tokyo, raising the ships total to 61.

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline and
新型ウイルス クルーズ船で新たに41人感染確認 | NHKニュース
Translation from google translator
February 7, 2020 9:35

According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, 41 new cases have been confirmed on cruise ships where outbreaks of the new coronavirus have been confirmed.Of the passengers and crew members of the cruise ship, those who have symptoms such as fever and their close contacts have been tested for viruses, and up to 20 cases have been confirmed so far.

This brings the number of confirmed cruise ships to 61, excluding Hong Kong men who have already disembarked.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has decided to transfer 41 newly confirmed cases to medical institutions in Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Shizuoka prefectures as well as Kanagawa.

NOTE: It doesn't say which ship the positives came from on this yet. Yesterday, it named them as..."The Diamond Princess is anchored off the coast of Yokohama, near Tokyo, with 1,045 crew and 2,666 passengers -- including 428 Americans -- on board. The second ship, the World Dream, is docked at Hong Kong's Kai Tak Cruise Terminal with more than 3,600 passengers and crew members on board, the city's Department of Health said Wednesday." https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/asia/coronavirus-cruise-quarantines-intl-hnk/index.html

Last edited:
Curious update..
Chinese media confusion over doctor's virus death

Chinese media have changed a report that a doctor who blew the whistle on the coronavirus outbreak has died of the infection.

The state-run Global Times said Li Wenliang had died in Wuhan but later reported he was instead critically ill.

The People's Daily had earlier sent out a tweet saying Dr Li's death had sparked "national grief".

How did the confusion occur?
Global Times and other Chinese media initially sent out reports that Dr Li, 34, had died from coronavirus.

''It was carried in other Chinese state media and picked up by international news organisations. The World Health Organization sent out a tweet expressing sorrow at his death.

But Global Times then carried a report from Wuhan Central Hospital saying that Dr Li's heart had stopped beating at 21:30 local time (13:30 GMT) and he was given resuscitation treatment. Dr Li was currently in a critical condition, it said.

The news of his death had triggered a huge wave of popular reaction on Weibo - China's equivalent of Twitter.''

Hubei province: Wuhan Central Hospital says Dr. Li Wenliang died at 2:58 a.m. on February 7. The daily updates from Hubei province and China’s National Commission cover the period until 12 a.m., which means Li’s death is in addition to those figures. (Source)

I sure am learning geography from this thread. PEI=Prince Edward Island. Had to look that up. Be safe in your little part of the world! Interesting article.
Feb 06, 2020 7:34 PM
"Those who have travelled to Canada from Hubei province — which includes Wuhan — should voluntarily self-isolate for 14 days, staying at home and not going to school or work.

This does not apply to people returning from other parts of China. Those travellers are being asked to monitor themselves and their children for 14 days — and call 811 if they develop symptoms such as fever, coughing or difficulty breathing."

PEI.JPG

Thanks! I was hoping there'd be more of a protocol in place, but at least the people in this article are self-isolating. Up until now, I'd been a little naive in thinking that the chances of it being here are slim.

I sure am learning geography from this thread. PEI=Prince Edward Island. Had to look that up. Be safe in your little part of the world! Interesting article.
Feb 06, 2020 7:34 PM
"Those who have travelled to Canada from Hubei province — which includes Wuhan — should voluntarily self-isolate for 14 days, staying at home and not going to school or work.

This does not apply to people returning from other parts of China. Those travellers are being asked to monitor themselves and their children for 14 days — and call 811 if they develop symptoms such as fever, coughing or difficulty breathing."

View attachment 230435

We have a long way to go before this is over.....its just getting started.

Although evidence is still emerging, information to date indicates human-to-human transmission is occurring. Hence, precautions to prevent human-to-human transmission are appropriate for both suspected and confirmed cases (see infection prevention and control guidance). 2019-nCoV infections have been reported in health care workers in China.

We do not know the routes of transmission of 2019-nCoV; however, other coronaviruses are mainly transmitted by large respiratory droplets and direct or indirect contact with infected secretions. In addition to respiratory secretions, other coronaviruses have been detected in blood, faeces and urine.

Under certain circumstances, airborne transmission of other coronaviruses is thought to have occurred via unprotected exposure to aerosols of respiratory secretions and sometimes faecal material.

Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV): epidemiology, virology and clinical features

Mapping the Outbreak of China’s Coronavirus

This could be a new issue to resolve....

"Chinese scientists say they have detected “striking” mutations in anew coronavirus
that may have occurred during transmission between family members.
While the effects of the mutations on the virus are not known, they do have the potential to alter the way the virus behaves.

This case indicated “viral evolution may have occurred during person-to-person transmission”, they wrote in the paper published in the journal National Science Review on January 29.

“Close monitoring of the virus’s mutation, evolution and adaptation is needed,” they added.

It is not clear yet what the mutations mean for patients. Qiu Haibo, a member of the national expert panel advising the government on the fight against the virus, said on Sunday that so far there was no evidence that mutations could cause “repeated infections”.

But theoretically, mutations can make recovered patients sick again and cheat existing detection methods because they target only a small segment of the viral genome.

‘Striking’ coronavirus mutations found in one family, scientists say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member