GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is correct. The owner was not there. Martinez the suspect told the morning security guard at the shift change that Carla left in another car. The owner and the Uber driver (who came to pick her up at 8:30 am) were told the same. Owner did not witness Carla supposedly leave. Only Martinez lied.

I was wondering if the owner lived in one of the villas on premise?

I can see this. If the hotel/BNB has a service kitchen that closes at a particular hour, it makes sense.

It was only 9PM, which seems awfully early for reception and kitchen to be closed to guests.

According to the facetime friend, Carla was all dressed up to go out for the evening, but at 9PM she decided she was tired and would stay in. Clearly she felt quite comfortable in Costa Rica if she planned to out late in the evening by herself.

After learning that Carla told her facetime friend that she was going to ask the security guard for water, I wondered where she thought she would find him. I assumed that he was patrolling the gate/entrance to the property, but if she felt safe enough to walk to the gate, why wouldn't she feel safe enough to go to the main reception area to get water?

That never quite made sense to me.

Did she know that the security guard was in the room 8? Why would she know where the security guard was staying? Why would the night security guard be in his room rather than patrolling the property?

Was it part of his regular duties to provide services like delivering water to guests? Did this start with Carla going to room 8 to ask for water, or did he get water and did this start in her room 7?

I'm thinking he was "on-duty" at the time. Seems there may have been a shift change that next morning, with new guard sharing the info he had received from his coworker (his coworker probably being the guard who had just been relieved that morning).

Either way, Carla may have run into the guard at some point during her stay, and he may have offered to get her anything if needed (just speculating). Given his room was right near hers, I wouldn't be surprised if they interacted at some point after she checked in, even if just naturally in passing. Jmo

Here's some more info re: guard:

The guard at Villa Le Mas, stated that the tourist had left the property at around 5 a.m., however, an Uber driver showed up at the property at 8:30 a.m. to pick her up, a guard shift change had taken place, and the new guard told the driver the woman had already left the property since that was the information he had received from his coworker.
Costa Rican Police Found The Remains of a Woman Possibly Carla Stefaniak Buried in Escazu - Costa Rica Star News

The tourist entered the hotel at 1 pm, left in the afternoon, came back at 4pm and did not come back out. There was a change of guard at 6pm and he explained that at 5am a vehicle came to pick up the girl. Later, at 8:30 am, an Uber came the pick her up but the guard at that time told him she had already left, based on what the overnight guard said.
Body of Missing Tourist Carla Stefaniak Found in Costa Rica? | The Costa Rican Times

Agreed. I'm looking into a three-day self-defense training course.

I took a similar class, yelling, punching, kicking. Honestly, it was a workout, and I am not in great shape. And, I am not a person who is very good at yelling and punching. We also reviewed weapons, sirens, whistles, stunguns, bear spray.

We received a recommendation report after the class, my report was that I am better at using a weapon than relying on my own body. My daughter passed, that she could easily hurt someone, and defend herself without a weapon.

But, who knows how anyone would respond in a situation like that? And was she asleep? So many variables in "self-defense". And you really can't travel with weapons...

I know, against a young healthy male, I wouldn't have a chance. I would be over powered in a heartbeat. And, I am not a fighter, that actually may be my best strength, weak, crying, easy to subdue. It may be that fighting back escalates the violence.

The tourist entered the hotel at 1 pm, left in the afternoon, came back at 4pm and did not come back out. There was a change of guard at 6pm and he explained that at 5am a vehicle came to pick up the girl. Later, at 8:30 am, an Uber came the pick her up but the guard at that time told him she had already left, based on what the overnight guard said.
Body of Missing Tourist Carla Stefaniak Found in Costa Rica? | The Costa Rican Times

rsbm

That means when Carla arrived at 1pm Martinez was not yet on duty. He might have been in his room next to hers and they might have run into each other. Maybe they even had a quick introduction/chat, and that's why she felt safe to leave her room at night, during a storm and power outage, and ask him for water.

OTOH, she did say something was sketchy.

Was the door to her place on the first... or second floor? We've been wondering how he took her from the room... so perhaps (sorry for this visual) he tossed her body from the back of the room to outside... so no one could see him take her out the front way. The fall could explain the head trauma and the broken vertebrae.

I have four kids total... the Life 360 is on all of our phones. Comes in handy for when my daughter has to get her brother's from the bus stop in the winter. She knows when their bus is close.
I haven't read all the posts yet, however, I think you are SPOT ON with you thoughts!! That makes sense why her Father felt her head as attacked later.
Also thank you to the one who posted the link that I my phone wouldn't.

Hi everyone! New to Webslueths but have been reading different threads for so long. First off, I feel so sad for Carla and her family. How absolutely horrible and heartbreaking. Second, even though my creepy pumpkin photo may tell you otherwise, I am a super tiny gal a little under five feet. I know for a fact I would be no match for any man if they try to made advances or attack. I'm sure I could try to attack them and fight back but I don't think it would do much work. I'm sure Carla fought for her life so hard but I know for a fact she had to have been scared out of her mind. In situations like that I feel like I don't think clearly and could tire easily. I looked on her Instagram and it looked like she was having so much fun on her trip. I can't believe it ended like this and now her life is lost. Looking forward to sleuthing with you all!

Hi everyone! New to Webslueths but have been reading different threads for so long. First off, I feel so sad for Carla and her family. How absolutely horrible and heartbreaking. Second, even though my creepy pumpkin photo may tell you otherwise, I am a super tiny gal a little under five feet. I know for a fact I would be no match for any man if they try to made advances or attack. I'm sure I could try to attack them and fight back but I don't think it would do much work. I'm sure Carla fought for her life so hard but I know for a fact she had to have been scared out of her mind. In situations like that I feel like I don't think clearly and could tire easily. I looked on her Instagram and it looked like she was having so much fun on her trip. I can't believe it ended like this and now her life is lost. Looking forward to sleuthing with you all!

Hey, girl.

I'm 6'1", mean as a snake and I have STILL been on the receiving end of violence. It may be an unpopular opinion to some, but I arm myself and believe it's my right to fight for my life. Others who do not feel that way should probably keep in mind some important facts. It is NEVER safe to engage with an attacker. Run. Run like hell and scream your head off. I get flustered when I see 'tips' telling women to walk with their keys between their fingers. This nonsense will put you in more danger. What if there are three guys? There is no way you can win.

Unfortunately, any woman can be the target of violence. My $.02.

Unfortunately, it depends on the news outlet. We've seen his room/her room in local news. Either way, the days that passed before the hotel was a crime scene - no one bothered to clean up? Doesn't make any sense.
The airbnb that we stayed at in Oregon had listed in our email that we were to tidy up the place before we left. And most times it is not cleaned until the next guest is arriving.

I am not totally certain, but I don't think the owner technically said that HE SAW her leave at 5:30, but the way I read it was that he said something along the lines of "she was seen leaving at 5:30", implying that the guards had said she was saw leaving at 5:30 with her luggage.

I am not certain, and this is only my opinion.

Body found in area where U.S. tourist went missing in Costa Rica
I've read the Owner was told and I've read he saw her.
It depends on who is reporting.
MOO

Welcome!

In regard to who witnessed Carla leave at 5:10 - 5:30, I believe the reporting, as is often the case, is sloppy. I've seen reports stating that the owner, the Uber driver and guards (plural) all witnessed her leave. It doesn't make sense that the owner who doesn't live there would be there at 5:00 AM, along with the Uber driver who was scheduled to pick her up at 8:30 and the day-shift guard who apparently starts his shift at 6:00. They all just happened to be there around 5:00 AM? I believe Bismark was the only one who actually said that he witnessed Carla leave in a car. He lied to one or more of the others, who repeated it, likely not suspecting it was a lie. The inaccurate reporting casts suspicion on the others who likely are not accomplices. IMO

I've read the Owner was told and I've read he saw her.
It depends on who is reporting.
MOO
During the investigation, the police, and the family on police advice, would not be wise to report details to the media like "we interviewed several people, no one saw her except the night watchman, and he says she left a 5 am".

That would immediately point a laser focus of suspicion on the night watchman, possibly causing him to run away, possibly undermining the whole investigation.

Police release information because the story might be true, and it could help solve the case: maybe someone out at 5 am would report seeing a vehicle, maybe the other driver would come forward. They aren't releasing information so that amateur sleuths can get every detail of the crime!

Brother of tourist killed in Costa Rica shook hands with her suspected killer, report says

When [CC] went to Costa Rica to search for his missing sister, he shook hands with the security guard at the apartment where she was staying and listened to what the man knew, [CC] told CNN affiliate WPLG.

Little did [CC] know the man would turn out to be his sister's suspected killer.

"We went to the villa. This guy shook our hands, looks us in the eyes, he tells his fake story," [CC] said. "And we couldn't feel anything from this guy. Like, I just can't believe it."

[...]

"How cold-hearted can you be?" [CC] told WPLG. "And such a monster, because you have to be something else, man, to do something like this."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elle C
Back