GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wouldn’t a rape test show if there was more then one person involved?
In this article, the family's Costa Rican lawyer states DNA of only one person was found.

New DNA evidence in high-profile murder case

“We do know there is a DNA match of one person," he said. But he won’t reveal if it’s Martinez or someone else. (Quite rightly, as the case is under investigation. Since Martinez is the one under arrest, we can draw our own conclusions).

He raises the family's suspicion that multiple people were involved in a cover up of the crime. He refers to the distance the body was moved and the quick clean up of the room. He doesn't claim that multiple people raped and murdered her. "“We are considering that there could be at least five suspects that participated in the crime to cover up this heinous murder".

Presumably, their theory is that Martinez murdered her, then went and told his boss, the American owner of the AirBnB (whom the family are already suing in the US for having hired an undocumented migrant), or his colleagues. Then, they are insinuating the Airbnb staff/owner conspired to cover up this murder of a guest by the security guard and ensure everyone lie to police and the family.

Family of Carla Stefaniak, Florida woman killed in Costa Rica, sues Airbnb, property owner - CNN

Families suffer terribly in murder cases. IMO, some people cry, some people take out their grief and anger in other ways.

Days after she was reported missing her body was discovered roughly 300 yards from the Airbnb where she was staying. The hotel's security guard, 33-year-old Bismark Espinoza Martinez was later arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

Espinoza's murder charge has been upgraded from second-degree to first-degree following intense pressure from her family.

Carla's family has since taken legal action, filing a lawsuit against Airbnb and the hotel Villa La Mas, which was later removed from the platform after the murder. The lawsuit is still making its way through the court system.

As for the trial, it's expected to start as early as January. If convicted, Espinoza facecs anywhere from 20 to 35 years in prison.

Family of woman murdered in Costa Rica prepares for trial, one year later

Carla Stefaniak murder trial: Here’s how Costa Rica’s justice system works
Updated: 3:18 PM EST January 29, 2020
SAN JOSÉ, Costa Rica — She was on a trip to paradise, but Carla Stefaniak never returned home to Florida.
[...]
In Costa Rica, a person’s innocence or guilt is determined by a three-judge panel. For minor crimes, just a single judge decides.

And the next step is where the U.S. and Costa Rican justice systems really head in different directions – punishments.

Prison sentences in Costa Rica are much less severe.

Delitos – felonies, in English – are punished by up to 25 years behind bars. Sentences can be combined for cases involving multiple crimes, but criminals cannot be sentenced to more than 50 years in prison.
[...]

Carla Stefaniak's killer sentenced to 16 years in prison
Updated: 6:32 PM EST February 17, 2020
SAN JOSÉ, Costa Rica — She was stabbed to death in paradise. More than a year later, her killer has been sentenced.
[...]
Bismarck Espinoza Martínez, a 32-year-old security guard who was staying a few doors down, was arrested and charged in her death. His trial began in January.

He has since been convicted of homicidio simple, which is the U.S. equivalent to second-degree murder. On Monday afternoon, Costa Rican TV broadcaster Teletica confirmed the court sentenced him to 16 years in prison.

According to The Tico Times, Martínez and the hotel property will have to pay Stefaniak's family roughly $53,000. The publication says Martínez was acquitted of an aggravated robbery charge due to a lack of evidence.
[...]

It is not. When he's released, he'll still be young enough and strong enough to pick up where he left off.
Until then, I hope his life is Hell.

I'm not convinced that the undocumented Nicauraguan immigrant is guilty. For all the evidence that has been given, he could be just a patsy.

No word on others involved? Don’t believe this kid acted alone.
Hi. Mica. Apparently her family thinks there was more than one attacker. I'm wondering about this also. Karla looked very strong and she wasn't tiny. It's possible it took more than one person to subdue her.

Hi. Mica. Apparently her family thinks there was more than one attacker. I'm wondering about this also. Karla looked very strong and she wasn't tiny. It's possible it took more than one person to subdue her.

I agree. Karla was not a slight girl. Her body was found quite a distance from her room, and her room was quickly cleaned and sanitized. Martinez would have to be Superman to have done this all on his own.

I agree. Karla was not a slight girl. Her body was found quite a distance from her room, and her room was quickly cleaned and sanitized. Martinez would have to be Superman to have done this all on his own.
Do you think anyone else will be held accountable? There had to be at least one more perp.

Do you think anyone else will be held accountable? There had to be at least one more perp.

Sadly, probably not, unless an investigation can find additional evidence. I do wonder why Martinez hasn’t named his accomplices. Costa Rica wants this to go away.

I had a professor many years back who was from Costa Rica. We asked her why she does not live there and she shuddered and said, "It's too violent".

Those of us who recall the extent of her injuries, it saddens the heart when trying to comprehend how somebody can get such a small sentence. The wife said their jail system isn't nice, that 16 years there is like 30 for us here. Still, its a slap in the face to the family. To think about what this poor woman went through in her final moments, especially considering the possibility of multiple attackers, and the main guy only get 16 years... wow!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rukasu the Question
Back