GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
UPDATE : Around 11:30pm on 12/05, Costa Rican Authorities finally allowed the family of Carla to see the body. Carla’s father confirmed that the body belongs to Carla. It’s now official.

Words cannot express the devastation within her family and friends. We want the world to know that we will never forget Carla. We will never forget the joy she brought into our lives, how much she made us laugh. We will always be with her and we know she will always be with us. May god bless her soul.

Are we done here? We are not. In the following days, we will release critical digital leads of the investigation, continue asking questions about the involvement of others in Carla’s murder. We will make sure this case is not closed like many others in Costa Rica.

But for now, just know that Carla and her family is grateful for all you have done for her. We truly appreciate the support. Please pray for Carla and for her family. #findingcarla #costarica

————

Alrededor ‪de las 11:30PM‬, 5 de diciembre, finalmente permitieron a la familia de Carla ver el cuerpo. El papá de Carla confirmó que el cuerpo pertenece a ella. Es ahora oficial.

No hay palabras para expresar cuán devastados están su familia y sus amistades. Queremos que el mundo sepa que nunca olvidaremos a Carla. Nunca olvidaremos la alegría que trajo a nuestras vidas, y cuanto nos hizo reir. Siempre estaremos con ella y sabemos que siempre ella estará con nosotros. Que Dios bendiga su alma.

Vamos a dejar esto así? No lo haremos. En los próximos días, publicaremos pistas digitales que han sido críticas para la investigación. Se continuarán las preguntas sobre la implicación de otros en el asesinato de Carla. Nosotros nos aseguraremos de que este caso no sea olvidado como muchos otros en Costa Rica.

Pero por ahora sepan que Carla y su familia están agradecidos por todo el apoyo que le han brindado. Por favor, únanse en nuestros rezos por Carla y por su familia. #findingcarla #costarica

Finding Carla

Family identifies body found in Costa Rica as missing US woman (with clip)

December 5, 2018

"(CNN)The family of Carla Stefaniak, a US citizen reported missing while on vacation in Costa Rica, has confirmed that a body found there this week belongs to her.

It appears Stefaniak's father was allowed to see the body of his 36-year-old daughter Tuesday night, according to a Facebook page that has been updated by a family friend....

Suspect in custody

A security guard from the Airbnb where Stefaniak was staying was arrested and remains in custody, officials said.
The man, who is a Nicaraguan national, was staying in the apartment next to Stefaniak's rental. He was arrested after investigators noticed inconsistencies in his statements.

He is being held in jail because he is a flight risk, officials said..."

Carla Stefaniak's father identifies body found in Costa Rica as his daughter - CNN

carla-stefaniak-3.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know its pretty clear we've got the killer.

I want to know if he had help with the body. Choosing my words respectfully... Carla was not a small girl, and the suspect is not a huge man that could just throw her over the shoulder caveman style. I get it was raining and all, but it was reported she found 300 yards behind the apartment complex itself. Let that sink in for a minute. THREE FOOTBALL fields behind the actual complex, not just her building. Butt no one saw him drag her body out. Or perhaps since she was found in the rear, he was able to do all this without potential prying eyes.

Makes you wonder what goes through the mind of a sicko. Even without her last words... they still investigate the last person who was nearest to her. Did they think the whole "she left at 5am" was going to be enough once it was confirmed she didn't leave? Now its all back on you again.

Last edited:
I know its pretty clear we've got the killer.

I want to know if he had help with the body. Choosing my words respectfully... Carla was not a small girl, and the suspect is not a huge man that could just throw her over the shoulder caveman style. I get it was raining and all, but it was reported she found 300 yards behind the apartment complex itself. Let that sink in for a minute. THREE FOOTBALL fields behind the actual complex, not just her building. Butt no one saw him drag her body out. Or perhaps since she was found in the rear, he was able to do all this without potential prying eyes.

Makes you wonder what goes through the mind of a sicko. Even without her last words... they still investigate the last person who was nearest to her. Did they think the whole "she left at 5am" was going to be enough once it was confirmed she didn't leave? Now its all back on you again.
I must have missed where it was changed to 300 yards away, can you link?

I agree with this!
Agreed, but her blood was found in his room. Father IDs body of woman slain in Costa Rica I also believe he may have had help in getting her body out of the villa. They should look long and hard at anyone that stated to LE that they personally saw her leaving at 5 a.m. in an unknown vehicle. My prayers for her loving family.

My bad...

A partially decomposed body was found Monday about 300 yards from the apartment complex where Stefaniak...

Carla Stefaniak's father identifies body found in Costa Rica as his daughter - CNN
Thank you! That is really far. I had only seen 200ft as the distance in several other articles. I wonder why the discrepancy.

Man held in US tourist's Costa Rica death
Investigators earlier said the body was found buried in a mountainous area barely 200ft (60 metres) from Ms Stefaniak's Airbnb accommodation.

Florida woman who failed to return home after her Costa Rican birthday trip is confirmed dead
Costa Rican authorities announced Tuesday that police dogs had discovered a body buried 200 feet toward the back of the property where Stefaniak had been staying, in a hilly and wooded suburb of San Jose.

Hello from Costa Rica and apologies for not yet reading the entire thread. Here is all that is known this morning.

The suspect in custody is Bismark Joseil Espinosa Martinez. He is Nicaraguan with 'irregular' migration status in Costa Rica. That means refugee and not worker's status. He was employed by Raymond Simmons, an expat and owner of the hotel in Escazu. The hotel is not in a very populated area and situated more up in the hills overlooking the central valley.

Ms. Stefaniak was reported to suffer stab wounds and blunt trauma to the head. Blood evidence was found in the suspect's room across the way from hers. OIJ has not yet been reported to make any arrest of the hotel owner as of 9.50 local time today.

My heart aches for Carla's family.

May they hold one another close during this terrible time.

Carla's beautiful light will shine forever in the hearts of her loved ones.

Although I never knew you, I know you are greatly loved by many.

Rest in Peace, dear Carla. I wish with all of my heart that you were still here. We all feel this way.

Hello from Costa Rica and apologies for not yet reading the entire thread. Here is all that is known this morning.

The suspect in custody is Bismark Joseil Espinosa Martinez. He is Nicaraguan with 'irregular' migration status in Costa Rica. That means refugee and not worker's status. He was employed by Raymond Simmons, an expat and owner of the hotel in Escazu. The hotel is not in a very populated area and situated more up in the hills overlooking the central valley.

Ms. Stefaniak was reported to suffer stab wounds and blunt trauma to the head. Blood evidence was found in the suspect's room across the way from hers. OIJ has not yet been reported to make any arrest of the hotel owner as of 9.50 local time today.

Thank you for the local reporting.

You may not know the answer to this question unless you live rather close to where she had stayed but I have been wondering if the power went out to the entire area the night before she was to leave for the airport. She had reported the power going out and I have wondered if it was possible if the security guard purposely switched off a breaker to the place to cause the power outage or if it was a real power outage to the entire area.

The night of the alleged power outage was November 27th since she was reported missing the morning of November 28th which was her day to catch her flight.

Its ok if you have no idea. I have been real curious about the reported power outage.

You may not know the answer to this question unless you live rather close to where she had stayed but I have been wondering if the power went out to the entire area the night before she was to leave for the airport. She had reported the power going out and I have wondered if it was possible if the security guard purposely switched off a breaker to the place to cause the power outage or if it was a real power outage to the entire area.

The night of the alleged power outage was November 27th since she was reported missing the morning of November 28th which was her day to catch her flight.

Its ok if you have no idea. I have been real curious about the reported power outage.

Great question. I was wondering the same. Hopefully Deeptoad has the answer.

I'm quite far from Escazu, so I wouldn't know first-hand. I can tell you that power outages in Costa Rica are frequent because of weather conditions. We're now in a 'windy' season, so we experience them often. That she mentions the power going out wasn't a notable item to me. Hope that helps.

Yes, I answered this I think all the way back on the 7th page when I said it was likely a guard had something to do with it. Power outages are very common in both Nicaragua and Costa Rica, I've lived in both countries. Most home invasions, robberies etc in both countries are usually set up by guards. It's actually way more common than people know.
I experienced a home invasion myself, or woke up to a man robbing my house in Nicaragua. So I think have a fairly high proportion of my friends. Usually they just come in and take stuff without waking you.

Thank you for your valuable input. Your words give clarity to this tragedy.

Interesting that the hotel is in a more sparsely-populated area. Some of us have wondered if anyone overheard this crime taking place, do you know anything about that?

Not that is matters in the grand scheme of things... but what did he do with her things???
He obviously disposed of them somewhere. His story that she checked out of the hotel at 5 something in the morning implied she left with her luggage/belongings. I guess he had enough sense after he killed her to dispose of her personal items as well, in order to jive with his "she left" story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back