GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Being a security guard, he had access to her room. After reading this, I imagine he just entered and attacked her, that she probably didn't even leave her room to ask for water. Entering with a weapon and wire/cable shows his premeditation and intent to hurt/kill Carla.

The Fiscalía said the suspect took advantage of the access he had to enter the victim’s room.

“It is presumed that, with a sharp weapon and wire, the accused ended the life of the foreigner tourist and then half-buried the body,” said the Ministerio Publico in a press release.

Hotel guard in Escazú arrested as a suspect in murder of Carla Stefaniak

Dear Rob774,

Thank you for your insightful post from your perspective as a man. Greatly appreciated!

The reason you can't even "conceive" of this is because you can't think like a "monster" does. Because you aren't a "monster".

We really can't understand because how can we ever understand a person who acts in an evil way? These individuals have evil thoughts and we don't.

It's almost as if these "monsters" who commit such horrid and evil acts are a different species from us. Their thoughts and actions are alien to everything we think and believe.
I wonder if sometime in the future it will be scientifically proven that these monsters are indeed a different species from us, are indeed alien.

I just can't grasp why she was so violently killed. This sounds weird but during my commute I was thinking about what she must have gone through. I really hope she didn't suffer for a long time but it seems like things are pointing otherwise:( I also agree that she should have had water there! The owners should have kept a mini fridge stocked or something. My Aunt used to travel for her job and when she would visit my city she would stay in different Airbnbs and I loved them! I just think the place she was at was so sketchy.
Many murderers overkill, it's a sign the murderer was very emotional, (rather than cold and calculating), and wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible, as well as make absolutely sure the victim was dead.

It's actually pretty common, most murderers don't tie up their victims, so there's a risk the wounded victim could get away. There's intense anger, but also fear of being caught, and also, paradoxically from some comments from perps, they know they're inflicting pain and once the victim dies they won't feel that pain anymore.

This man may have intended to rob her, as well as sexually assault her. There was no way that he could allow her to live, she'd have reported him and he'd have gone to jail.

I wonder if sometime in the future it will be scientifically proven that these monsters are indeed a different species from us, are indeed alien.
What happened after Adam and Eve left paradise? Their son Cain killed his brother Abel. The story doesn't have to be taken literally: but killing is definitely a natural part of the human species. See also war.

Dear Lavender Moon,

I feel as though they are so "alien" to our thinking and do such evil deeds that it's as if they are from a different species.

I know they aren't, of course. But their heinous acts are so horrible, most of us can't even imagine what would go through their minds.

Perhaps sociopathic and psychopathic tendencies - coupled with something else?

This is an interesting read about connection between violent perpetrators and frontal lobe dysfunction.

Neuropsychiatry of frontal lobe dysfunction in violent and criminal behaviour: a critical review

Dear Lavender Moon,

I feel as though they are so "alien" to our thinking and do such evil deeds that it's as if they are from a different species.

I know they aren't, of course. But their heinous acts are so horrible, most of us can't even imagine what would go through their minds.

This is an interesting read about connection between violent perpetrators and frontal lobe dysfunction.

Neuropsychiatry of frontal lobe dysfunction in violent and criminal behaviour: a critical review

Thanks, @zencompass! I always enjoy your thoughtful and insightful posts.

Dear Rob774,

Thank you for your insightful post from your perspective as a man. Greatly appreciated!

The reason you can't even "conceive" of this is because you can't think like a "monster" does. Because you aren't a "monster".

We really can't understand because how can we ever understand a person who acts in an evil way? These individuals have evil thoughts and we don't.

It's almost as if these "monsters" who commit such horrid and evil acts are a different species from us. Their thoughts and actions are alien to everything we think and believe.

I guess it will come up if he had any violent run-ins with the law previously, so who knows if his evil attentions ever surfaced before.

As a guy, most of us see woman everyday who we say to ourselves, "She's pretty or she's secsy." 99.9999% of us laugh and never do anything about. We have to figure out what "extra" pops in and motivates a person to violence to gratify secsual conquest. He HAD to know he was going to get caught. This isn't the 60's where your movements can't be tracked and even cleaned evidence... can still be seen.

This monster basically ruined two families (Carla's and his own) stole a woman's entire future... just to buss a n-t.

This insignificant of accomplishments...

But that's life. A random guy gets caught in his first affair. 10 minutes of what he thought would be great secs, which ended up as mediocre... now he no longer gets to go to sleep in the same house as his kids anymore.

Seeing Carla's father break down and say "it's too much for us" was almost unbearable to watch.

My heart aches for this family. Carla is so loved by so many people. It's evident how much joy she brought into their lives.

May Carla's loved ones hold one another tight during this unimaginable time.

Rest in Peace, beautiful Carla.

I forced myself to watch a video of her and her sister-in-law while they were enjoying yourselves. It makes it that much more painful to hear her real voice, see her movements... see her smiling having the time of her life. Its like watching the video of the missing NY girl Britanee Drexel as she talk to someone in her hotel room right before she went missing.

Being a security guard, he had access to her room. After reading this, I imagine he just entered and attacked her, that she probably didn't even leave her room to ask for water. Entering with a weapon and wire/cable shows his premeditation and intent to hurt/kill Carla.
Hotel guard in Escazú arrested as a suspect in murder of Carla Stefaniak

Again... I'm just amateur sleuthing... I think her missing right after she told her friend she was going to ask him for water.

With her face timing people on and off all night, he couldn't have known exactly when she was stopping... or else he would have walked in on her as she was on the phone.

I see her asking him for water, him getting the things he needed to attack for when he returned. He finally had the "legit" opportunity to go to her door. I think if she doesn't approach him for water... she's still alive. The only thing that could have saved her that night... if she was face timing EXACTLY at the time he came back. He would have that and knew she was talking to someone via video and there would have been no way he would have tried something then. She could have gone the next step and told him to wave to her friend back home. No way he does anything then.

Thanks, @zencompass! I always enjoy your thoughtful and insightful posts.

Dear crhedBngr,

I've always learned from and appreciated your compassionate posts on these threads over the years.

You are such an integral part of Websleuths and you are greatly appreciated!

I'm so glad you are on this thread.

Dear Lavender Moon,

I am too lazy to look up all of the research but there is plenty on how the brain changes because of trauma.

Infants, toddlers, any age people change because of things such as abuse. The very structure of the brain changes.

How Does Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Change the Brain? | Brain Blogger

Greg Greco Zwolinski on fb is still putting out updates while he is in CR.

I wonder if they were a couple at one time... He cared deeply for her....

I noticed he referred to her as 'our baby sister' so I don't know if they actually are brother and sister.

Greg Greco Zwolinski on fb is still putting out updates while he is in CR.

I wonder if they were a couple at one time... He cared deeply for her....
I wish I could leave links with my cell, can't figure it out.

Greg posted 1 hour ago:
"The most extreme, the most humbling, experience of my whole life. Our baby sister is on the plane with us and we are bringing her home. A little emotional at this moment as it really hits home. So happy the whole world came together, and complete strangers reached out with love and support for all of this to happen. We land at 1130pm in tampa for those who want to welcome her back. (Caution: tears will be involved)."

Go to Finding Carla for an update from her sister in law:

"
UPDATE: 1- Autopsy resuslts were shared with the family. Very graphic details. Absolutely terrifying. 2- Carla's Clothes, iPhone and other electronics were found. This is consistent with with our initial suspecions and communications with Costa Rican authorities that whoever abducted Carla turned her electronics off and the last digital footprint was at the AirBnb location.
We will have more updates today. Thank you HLN for your support and coverage on Carla. It is important to get to the bottom of this!"

Go to Finding Carla for an update from her sister in law:

From the video...

“From the moment she booked that Airbnb, this monster was preying on her. It’s clear that he knew, or they knew, she was coming. It’s very clear that when Carla got there he had this plan in his head, or they had this plan and we believe this was not a one person job.....”

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back