** COVID-19 POLL**: What do you think the status will be in six months (September 2020)?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

• Widespread COVID-19 in all 50 states

• Numerous fatalities in the United States due to COVID-19

• Limited cases of COVID-19 nationwide

• No fatalities in the United States due to COVID-19

• COVID-19 will not become a major health issue

• Other _________________________

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Covid-19 will likely become quite widespread, probably more infected than a yearly flu and unfortunately I think there could be more deaths than an average flu season. I have high hope that the measures being taken will reduce the number of deaths from the worst case scenarios....a 'do nothing' approach could have easily led to 6 million + deaths in the USA alone, so I don't think it will get that high. I'm not sure what the projected figures are for hospitalizations with the new measures being introduced, and hopefully that can keep deaths to no more than an average flu season...but let's not forget that this isn't instead of those flu deaths but on top of those flu deaths.
6 million would be a high number, but 1 million US deaths this year wouldn't surprise me. My guess, though, is that it will be closer to 300,000.
-
Overpopulation will lead to more epidemics like this one. Malthus predicted the coronavirus over 200 years ago.
-
Once a fair number of people have recovered from coronavirus and are immune, it will be more difficult for the virus to spread. Future outbreaks will be easier to contain.

It could well be that during the SARS outbreak, scientists scrambled to create a vaccine that was successful during the testing trials on animals and in other stages. I'm not sure exactly how far they got with it when SARS diminished and vanished completely... and so the vaccine was shelved. But SARS seems to be very similar in more ways than 1 to CV-19, perhaps it is a 'one they made earlier' that they have turned to!! It does make one wonder, where do these viruses disappear to until they next break-out? X

They disappear to their natural habitat. Bats and Himalayan civets, I heard.
SARS was worse, but two factors worked positively. First, it originated in a rural area. So the Chinese government totally isolated it.
Second, at that time, fewer people from China were traveling as tourists. It was 20 years ago.
SARS and COVID 19 are very similar in being coronaviruses. I think they planned to use one antibody sitting on the “spike” to mount the immune response to it. I wonder if the antibodies in SARS and COVID 19 are different, though.
@Ozoner is right. Malthus predicted wars and diseases alongside with exponential population growth.

Last edited:
Poll should probably be named 'What do you think the status of Covid-19 will be in the US in 6 months?'. I came here expecting to vote on my prediction for what the planet will be like in 6 months. Maybe have separate polls?

As it is, the poll options haven't really aged well... it's not even the end of March yet and only options 1 and 2 are still valid!

Are you thinking what it'll be like, come September 202o?

I'd say after a bit of a reprieve over july and august we 'd be at the start of the second wave, and focusing on the studying and testing for immunity for those who had gotten the virus during the first wave, to see if they still have antibodies and therefor can stay out in society to keep society functioning.
Also perhaps Self-Tests already on the market and the world continuing to fervently work towards a vaccine. Schools will try to reopen/stay open, although universities/colleges may stay "classes exclusively remotely" for another year. Social Distancing will remain, although lock downs may be less severe.

I think the number of deaths per day will be down to a dozen or less, nationally, for the United States. This will be above and beyond regular viruses. Maybe 20. Most will be the very elderly.

If this is seasonal, then next November-Dec, we'll see a second wave. All of us who avoided it through social distancing will likely be back at work, with perhaps as few as 20% of us with antibodies. If we can get the antibody test in place, that'll be a game changer.

Otherwise, next winter, many of us will have to self-quarantine again. Yikes.

(I do believe we'll have antibody tests by then, something for all of us to look forward to - I sure do which they'd make a home mail-in kit available, I'm willing to prick my finger for sure - although saliva would be nicer).

My question was, has anyone has the time or foresighted to document shots people over 50 are for getting the flu and pneumonia shot. I am in no way promoting those who didn’t are getting sick. Just wondering in the grand scheme of stuff.

A colleague told me he'd read that while the flu shots do nothing against CV19, if you get CV19, your immune system is hit so hard that if you also get the flu, your chance of mortality goes up considerably. So getting a flu shot may be a good idea.

6 million would be a high number, but 1 million US deaths this year wouldn't surprise me. My guess, though, is that it will be closer to 300,000.
-
Overpopulation will lead to more epidemics like this one. Malthus predicted the coronavirus over 200 years ago.
-
Once a fair number of people have recovered from coronavirus and are immune, it will be more difficult for the virus to spread. Future outbreaks will be easier to contain.

Malthus then must have predicted every exponential phenomena. I know he thought the world would be stacked with rabbits if every rabbit that reproduced lived to reproduce equally.

Cuvier predicted periodic, regular catastrophes.

-
-

I'd be very surprised with 1 million US deaths this year. If this thing turns out not to be at all seasonal, then yes we might get there.

In November most of the harshest restrictions will stop. But there is legitimate mild-moderate concern for high risk groups that the Health Departments of the US do need to address. I am an RN working on a C19 unit at the present time. And I've already had it.

What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

I voted "other." I knew even back then we have the best health experts, and scientists in the world when we first knew we were in a pandemic which started in China.

I knew even back then our doctors would have therapeutic drugs available that would save many lives even before a vaccine was developed.

By now I did think we would have had about 300K deaths or more since it has taken so many lives all across the world.

It was only logical sadly we would have thousands of deaths since this virus pandemic has touched 188 countries. No country has been immune from many deaths if a person or persons came into their country with it undetected at the time.

Our country is known as the freest country in the world where our citizens are usually allowed to make their own choices. So you would think the amount of cases would be much higher than it is. The federal government can't mandate wearing masks for states. The only ones who has those powers are individual state governors, and local mayors, and even in some states or cities the citizens are suing stating it violates their constitutional rights.

So I think it could have been far worse in a country where freedom is always at the forefront.

It certainly would have resulted in far more cases including countless deaths if people from China (the root cause imo), and other countries hadn't been banned for now from coming here.

So I feel very hopeful ....like we are known to do, we will conquer this deadly virus too.

I was elated to read that over a 100 drug makers of the vaccines state they will develop the vaccines with safety the top priority. Of course I already knew that is the guideline in any vaccine or new drug.

As soon as a vaccine is available, and I believe it will be in record time , I will get the vaccine shot as soon as it is available in my area.

We are going to defeat this monster just like we excelled in the worst of times in the past. Imo

Imo, Not only will we have vaccines available that will save countless lives of our people... our economy will also rebound like its already been doing in the past few months..even though our economy was knocked to its knees by this invisible deadly virus.

Imo, there isn't anything that America's citizens can't do when it needs to be done. We will overcome this too, and be stronger than ever before just like we always have been.

The great thing too is we will share our vaccines with other countries who desperately need them. We've already sent life saving ventilators to help many other countries. It shows even in the worst of times for us we are still a very compassionate country.

God bless us all!

Jmhoo

-
-

Over the next 5 years it will be a survival of the fittest - not just the healthiest surviving - but how our diets change, our livelihood, our ability to adapt to a changed society.

Hope to see you all there in 2025. :)

I don't know what to think, but if COVID19 follows other pandemics, this is only the first wave. I expect another, more severe wave next fall, winter.

It seems like there are people who are taking this seriously, and others who are not. The ones who don't, endanger the rest of us.

I will quote myself from seven months ago, and it doesn't surprise me that I was pretty smack on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy