Covid-19 Vaccine Development

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is exciting news. Not only for Operation Warp Speed but for the future of medicine. :) JMO

Yes. We need to be careful, though, with analyzing surrogate end-points - how we define "effectiveness" of a drug/vaccine. The original end point for vaccines has usually been "preventing" you from getting the virus or other communicable disease. This new one is that it may prevent some of it and lessens symptoms if you do get it. That's not the same.

It's an ongoing debate in cancer treatments - do you aim for a drug that cures cancer or one that just helps you live a few months longer?

Another plus for multiple effective vaccines, it seems like the supply could be large and many doses administered to the public much more quickly.

Last edited:
Yes. We need to be careful, though, with analyzing surrogate end-points - how we define "effectiveness" of a drug/vaccine. The original end point for vaccines has usually been "preventing" you from getting the virus or other communicable disease. This new one is that it may prevent some of it and lessens symptoms if you do get it. That's not the same.

It's an ongoing debate in cancer treatments - do you aim for a drug that cures cancer or one that just helps you live a few months longer?

Another plus for multiple effective vaccines, it seems like the supply could be large and many doses administered to the public much more quickly.

I'm for anything that helps. JMO

I need to go back and review the information that they are collecting. In a perfect world I would want one that gives longer antibody protection to zap before it gets into cells. I am ignorant, but trying to learn, and since the T cells DESTROY infected cells vs. inactivating the antibody... I'll be looking for the B cell one that shines.

Also... how the heck is the public supposed to be as educated as we here may be if there are different schedules for each "brand" of immunization. (mRNA vaccines vs. traditional) Since the studies aren't more than 2 years (iirc) I would assume all are shooting for 1 year revaccination???

We'll see... and keeping an ear out for such.

Berkshire Hathaway Invests in Drugmakers Seeking Covid-19 Vaccine

“Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. is betting on some of the largest firms chasing a Covid-19 vaccine.

The Omaha, Neb., conglomerate recently made new investments in large pharmaceutical companies Merck & Co., Bristol Myers Squibb Co. and AbbVie Inc., ABBV -0.69% investing between $1.8 billion and $1.9 billion in each, according to public filings. Berkshire also made a new, smaller investment in Pfizer Inc. PFE -3.34% of $136 million.

Berkshire made these investments sometime in the quarter ended Sept. 30, well before Pfizer, BioNTech SE and Moderna Inc.MRNA 9.58% reported positive results from late-stage trials of potential vaccines.“

I need to go back and review the information that they are collecting. In a perfect world I would want one that gives longer antibody protection to zap before it gets into cells. I am ignorant, but trying to learn, and since the T cells DESTROY infected cells vs. inactivating the antibody... I'll be looking for the B cell one that shines.

Also... how the heck is the public supposed to be as educated as we here may be if there are different schedules for each "brand" of immunization. (mRNA vaccines vs. traditional) Since the studies aren't more than 2 years (iirc) I would assume all are shooting for 1 year revaccination???

We'll see... and keeping an ear out for such.
Current vaccinations have different brands with different schedules. For just one example, the vaccine for shingles. One brand is effective for a longer period of time. One is live vaccine, one is a killed vaccine. One requires two injections, 2 to 6 months apart. The other is a one time injection.

When the COVID vaccines become available we will all have to educate ourselves on the best vaccine for each of us as individuals.

Dolly Parton on helping fund coronavirus vaccine: I just wanted 'to do good'

The beloved country music queen has played an important role in the race for a Covid-19 vaccine.

Hope could be on the horizon in the search for an effective Covid-19 vaccine thanks to countless researchers, epidemiologists, immunologists and … Dolly Parton?...

So what does that have to do with the “Jolene” singer?

The queen of country music is also a philanthropist. In 2016, her Dollywood Foundation donated $1,000 per month to families impacted by wildfires in Tennessee, and those payments continued for six months. In 1995, she founded Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, a literacy program that’s donated more than 100 million children’s books. And earlier this year, she was behind another generous act — donating $1 million to battle coronavirus — and it's paying off now...

Pfizer may file authorization request for Covid-19 vaccine within days

Pfizer may be within days of filing for an emergency use authorization for its Covid-19 vaccine, having collected the safety data necessary to submit an application to the Food and Drug Administration, CEO Albert Bourla said Tuesday.

“We are very close to submitting for an emergency use authorization,” Bourla said during the STAT Summit, which this year is a virtual event. Bourla sidestepped the question of whether Pfizer’s filing would be made this week.

“Let us not create expectations,” he said in conversation with STAT’s Matthew Herper. “We will announce it as soon as we are doing it.”

(Link courtesy @BUF)

Courtesy via @dixiegirl1035:

Professor Roger Seheult, MD discusses the Moderna COVID-19 mRNA vaccine: How it works and what we know about the safety, efficacy, and side effects at this time. No mRNA vaccine has ever been approved by the FDA, but Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech hope to receive emergency approval based on preliminary data from their ongoing vaccine trials. Moderna's two-dose vaccine regimen does not require special refrigeration (the Pfizer vaccine is supposed to be stored at -70 Celcius) but a variety of questions remain: Will the vaccine prevent transmission and asymptomatic spread? How long will immunity last? Will “94.5% effective” hold up to peer-review and additional data when it is gathered?

Dolly Parton adds pandemic hero to list of accomplishments

Boston — Dolly Parton is being celebrated in song — a rewritten version of her own “Jolene” — for her contribution to an experimental coronavirus vaccine.

Northeastern University associate English professor Ryan Cordell posted a video on Twitter of himself performing a tweaked version of Parton's signature song, renamed “Vaccine," that has drawn tens of thousands of views.

The lyrics, “Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine / I’m begging of you, please go in my arm / Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine / Please just keep me safe from COVID harm," were written by linguist and author Gretchen McCulloch, who posted them online and invited people to record them...

There are claims that the vaccine will be available this coming 2021. What are your thoughts about it? Will you be getting it?

How are you guys been holding up? What have you been busy about?

It's almost new year, and I'm optimistic about it.

There are claims that the vaccine will be available this coming 2021. What are your thoughts about it? Will you be getting it?

How are you guys been holding up? What have you been busy about?

It's almost new year, and I'm optimistic about it.

Yes, I will. The first two are "first world purchased" appear to be the first to market in the US. (other than those available with the Chinese and others, oh, and those that already are on the black market there...)

I do look forward to how insurance companies in the US are going to handle which one is allowed for FREE as is with my annual flu shots (previous conversation on thread that shots are NOT free if you get at primary care physician... they do add on charges for office visit and injection vs. CVS etc. That is why Cuomo was upset... I digress..)

The most expensive cost per dose is ~$37.. the cheapest will be less than $5.

Info in below post

Some things Dr. Campbell covered today were questions he answered.

Moderna vaccine storage
  • -4 degrees Fahrenheit is transportation storage temperature
  • Will last 30 days in the refrigerator
  • Ordinary freezer, six months
  • 12 hours at room temperature
Pfizer vaccine storage
  • Needs storage at -94 degrees Fahrenheit (dry ice)
    • NOTE: He said that is the temperature that Ebola vaccines had to be stored at. So not insurmountable (e.d. my first thought was Ebola wasn't Billions of dosages)
Roll outs
Moderna/NIH 20 million doses ready by end of 2020; 500 million to one billion doses in 2021. Can be manufactured in US, Switzerland and Spain. Advanced orders are US order was for 100 million doses with options on 400 million more; EU 80 million doses; Japan 50 million doses; Canada 20 million; Switzerland 4.5 million; UK 5 million doses for spring. They are in talks with WHO, COVAX re distribution and a tiered pricing proposal.
Cost expected $32-37/dose

Pfizer 50 million doses by end of 2020. Advanced orders are US 100-500 million; EU 200 million; UK 40 million doses
Cost expected $19.50/dose

AstraZeneca/Oxford
EU 400 million doses; UK 100 million doses; alliance for poorer countries 300 million doses.
Cost expected $5/dose

Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline
No info on.
Cost expected $12/dose

Last edited:
Hi All!

It's good to see the positivity towards the vaccine as some of the folks I know seem hesitant about this. Maybe it's due to the endless theories and all. I myself was uncertain about it, so I'm doing a lot of reading and asking people how they feel about it. I was actually reading one article just now. What Will Happen If We Never Discover A Vaccine For COVID-19? - PPARXFL

I'm just so happy that there's a solution to this craze. We could have our normal life back where we don't need to be looking over our shoulders all the time.

Stay safe you guys!

I’d like to know how our county is to receive these vaccinations before they are even approved by the FDA. Article in our local paper dated November 11:
“State officials said that Pfizer’s vaccine will likely be the first available in Indiana, and they anticipate the company could request emergency-use authorization as early as the third week of November. A vaccine by Moderna could be available by the end of the year. None of the vaccine candidates have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration at this point.”
Hamilton County expecting first doses of COVID-19 vaccine this month • Current Publishing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back