Coworkers leave man on Colorado mountain overnight after office retreat

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score

Fifteen hikers on an office work retreat in Colorado’s San Isabel National Forest left one man behind, who went on to survive a night on a mountain while injured.

He reached the summit at about 11:30 a.m., according to the Chaffee County SAR, but became disoriented when he went to descend the mountain. When he looked for items left in the boulder field to mark the descending path, they were gone: The previous group had picked up the path markers on their way down.

This statement from the article above, worried me:
"The previous group had picked up the path markers on their way down." *

Was picking-up the path markers a requirement?
Perhaps the group didn't realize that he was not with them, or they figured he was close behind.
I understand that picking up the markers was possibly a requirement so that other hikers wouldn't get confused.
Hoping for good news soon.

* from -- "Office retreat gone wrong: Co-workers leave man on Colorado mountain overnight"

This statement worried me a bit:
"The previous group had picked up the path markers on their way down." *
The group must have thought that he was on his way and not far behind.
I can see that leaving markers behind might confuse another climbing group.
It may be that cleaning up the markers was a rule so that a different group wouldn't get confused with their trek.

* from: Office retreat gone wrong: Co-workers leave man on Colorado mountain overnight

He told rescue workers he was in a different area than where they had searched and that he had been disoriented on his descent and had fallen at least 20 times. After his last fall, he was unable to get back up.

Nice. I had to go on an office retreat once, it was beyond dysfunctional. Another time, I had to participate in a "ropes" course. That was also a terrible experience. But of course, we all pretended to have a great time and sang "Kumbya" at the end.

I hope this guy sues and gets a boatload of cash.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C_Plus_Detective
Back