Crack found in foam of Space Shuttle's external fuel tank

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FOX NEWS just had on that they have sent a technical team out to the pad. A circuit breaker that controls the heaters for the thrusters has blown. NASA still says that this is a very minor problem and are still a GO for launch today.

I am getting more and more aprehensive as the morning wears on!

This was on tv or I would post a link

Also, for those of you that are interested, you can google NASA public TV and get a live feed all day.

It was the circuit breaker for the heaters in the boosters. Now, they say that they are not sending a teachnical team out - they feel that it is hot enough outside that they are fine. Does that really make sense? Would you not want everything fixed - regardless of whether or not a "team" that is STAYING ON THE GROUND feels that it is okay???

May the crew have a safe journey and return:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...LOL-?SITE=FLTAL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) -- In a majestic Independence Day liftoff, Discovery and its crew of seven blasted into orbit Tuesday on the first space shuttle launch in a year, flying over objections from those within NASA who argued for more fuel-tank repairs.

NASA's first-ever Fourth of July launch came after two weather delays and last-minute foam trouble that conjured up worries that have dogged NASA since Columbia was brought down by a chunk of fuel tank insulation foam 3 1/2 years ago.

The foam problem resurfaced during last July's flight of Discovery and again Monday, keeping the space agency debating safety all the way up to the eve of liftoff.

As Discovery thundered away from its seaside pad at 2:38 p.m. and into space Tuesday, video showed was no initial sign of significant foam loss. Engineers will spend the next few days poring over the video before the shuttle returns to Earth.

Commander Steven Lindsey, an Air Force fighter pilot, was at Discovery's controls and aiming for a Thursday linkup with the international space station.

"Discovery's ready, the weather's beautiful, America is ready to return the space shuttle to flight. So good luck and Godspeed, Discovery," launch director Mike Leinbach said just before liftoff.

"I can't think of a better place to be here on the Fourth of July," radioed Lindsey. "For all the folks on the Florida east coast, we hope to very soon get you an up-close and personal look at the rocket's red glare."

Much more>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One thing that always amazes me about the astronauts is their unquenchable optimism and lack of fear or worry. I'm sure they must go through alot of psychological screening and training.

They're where they want to be; I guess whatever happens happens; they know the possibilities. Good luck to them all, and NASA.

Hey all .. :)

What a terrific day for the Discovery! :D

It's just 50 miles (about an hour's drive from our home) over to the area of the Discovery launch site. So .. last night we made a spur of the moment decision to pack some stuff and drive over to spend a couple of days at the beach - and of course, watch the launch.

Fortunately, only one of our condos is leased for the summer, so we were indeed fortunate to have a place to crash. <no pun intended> New Smyrna Beach is a perfect vantage point for a spectacular view. And "spectacular" it was!!! Just magnificent! Glorious!

I wish everyone could experience a successful shuttle launch by actually being there to witness it "live" - instead of on TV. Truly exhilarating! :D

Some 20 years ago, I took my then 9 year old son & several of his 4th grade classmates over to the Cape to watch the Challenger launch. It was so unbelievably horrifying for them and me, personally, that I have refused to watch or attend a "live launch" ever since. From that time until today - I had always waited for re-runs on TV.

I'm so glad I allowed my hubby to talk me into 'trying again' - I was so spooked! Now, I have a brand new memory .. "a really good one" - to replace the horror of seeing the Challenger blown into bits.

Okay, I'm headed back down to the beach. Sun is out - an east wind is producing delightful breezes off the ocean - just a gorgeous afternoon. Who could ask for more .. I'm lovin' it! :dance:

Hope everyone is having a fantastic 4th of July weekend! Please make it a safe one! Cheers, you guys .. :D

13th Juror

The people going up in that thing are putting their trust in the decision makers or maker. I don't think it should leave the ground unless everything is exactally the way it should be. Sometimes I think the decision makers are way to willing to take chances just because they want to get it off the ground...now. If it blows up there isn't anyone that will take responsibility.

13th Juror said:

Hey all .. :)

What a terrific day for the Discovery! :D

It's just 50 miles (about an hour's drive from our home) over to the area of the Discovery launch site. So .. last night we made a spur of the moment decision to pack some stuff and drive over to spend a couple of days at the beach - and of course, watch the launch.

Fortunately, only one of our condos is leased for the summer, so we were indeed fortunate to have a place to crash. <no pun intended> New Smyrna Beach is a perfect vantage point for a spectacular view. And "spectacular" it was!!! Just magnificent! Glorious!

I wish everyone could experience a successful shuttle launch by actually being there to witness it "live" - instead of on TV. Truly exhilarating! :D

Some 20 years ago, I took my then 9 year old son & several of his 4th grade classmates over to the Cape to watch the Challenger launch. It was so unbelievably horrifying for them and me, personally, that I have refused to watch or attend a "live launch" ever since. From that time until today - I had always waited for re-runs on TV.

I'm so glad I allowed my hubby to talk me into 'trying again' - I was so spooked! Now, I have a brand new memory .. "a really good one" - to replace the horror of seeing the Challenger blown into bits.

Okay, I'm headed back down to the beach. Sun is out - an east wind is producing delightful breezes off the ocean - just a gorgeous afternoon. Who could ask for more .. I'm lovin' it! :dance:

Hope everyone is having a fantastic 4th of July weekend! Please make it a safe one! Cheers, you guys .. :D

13th Juror
That was so nicely written, glad you had a wonderful lift off, and better memories now.
Ps.....And about the Pets....there have been so many lately left in hot cars.
Please don't leave your pet in a car. It only takes a few minutes for the temperature to build to beyond 100+ . Windows cracked or not. Too many pets are lost this way.

Oh, 13th Juror, I am so envious. Seeing a liftoff in person is a dream of mine. I am a NASA addict, have been all my life. I've been fortunate to have been invited to an educator's conference at Kennedy and got to see a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff. This was just after the Challenger tragedy and many of the state finalists from the Teacher In Space program were there. It was an awesome experience. Obviously, I am very much in favor of funding space exploration but I know the justification for the expense is a hard sell. I do think the scientific advances that have come from the space program have been worth it. Today's liftoff was awesome. My son and I love to watch the NASA channel during missions. I hope the return is as smooth as the takeoff.

Reader said:
May the crew have a safe journey and return:
;;;;;;;
As Discovery thundered away from its seaside pad at 2:38 p.m. and into space Tuesday, video showed was no initial sign of significant foam loss. Engineers will spend the next few days poring over the video before the shuttle returns to Earth.

Commander Steven Lindsey, an Air Force fighter pilot, was at Discovery's controls and aiming for a Thursday linkup with the international space station.

"Discovery's ready, the weather's beautiful, America is ready to return the space shuttle to flight. So good luck and Godspeed, Discovery," launch director Mike Leinbach said just before liftoff.

"I can't think of a better place to be here on the Fourth of July," radioed Lindsey. "For all the folks on the Florida east coast, we hope to very soon get you an up-close and personal look at the rocket's red glare."

Much more>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No SIGNIFICANT foam loss?

They'd never get me up in one of those things!

This Air Force pilot's attitude sounds a lot like my retired-AF pilot son. When he signed up they tested him with a helicopter ride (I have a fear of heights) and he said "This is great", about the view.

Such a daredevil he tried riding his tricycle standing up on the seat, as a toddler, and got a hole in his head, requiring stitches, but such a sweet person! Thank God he apparently didn't think of becoming an astronaut. Maybe they need keepers?

To be an astronaut is every kid's dream, or should be.

May the daredevil in each of us live forever.
dance.gif

Toby said:
To be an astronaut is every kid's dream, or should be.

May the daredevil in each of us live forever.
dance.gif

To me, snow skiing is enough. I'm always praying that I make it from the lift to the ground with out falling on my behind in front of everyone else. :p

Sundayrain said:
That was so nicely written, glad you had a wonderful lift off, and better memories now.

Ps.....And about the Pets....there have been so many lately left in hot cars.

Please don't leave your pet in a car. It only takes a few minutes for the temperature to build to beyond 100+ . Windows cracked or not. Too many pets are lost this way.

Hi SundayRain :) (Love your handle!)

Thank you and God Bless You for your thoughtful & caring comment concerning "pet care & responsibility".

Yes .. I wholeheartedly agree with you. It always warms my heart to find like-minded posters here at Websleuths. :)

Here are a few excerpts from one of my May posts in the Pet Corner Forum ...

Keep them cool

High temperatures can lead to heat exhaustion or the more dangerous heatstroke. Animals that are outside or enclosed in cars are most at risk of heatstroke.

Help your pet beat the heat

* Leave at-risk pets in air-conditioned comfort during the day. If your pet does go or stay outdoors in hot weather, provide plenty of cool, fresh water and a shady place to rest.

* Be aware of how the sun travels through your yard. A spot that looks shaded in the morning may be in full sun a few hours later.

* Take walks during cool mornings and evenings, not in the heat of the day.

* NEVER leave your pet in a car during warm months.

Signs of heat exhaustion and heatstroke include panting excessively, fatigue, dizziness, nausea and loss of consciousness.

Cool a pet with heat exhaustion by pouring water on the coat and working it into the hair.

Loss of consciousness is an emergency situation and requires immediate veterinary care.

One of the most important precautions for preventing both conditions is to never leave your pet in a car during warm months.

"You can have the inside of a car heat up to over 120 degrees Fahrenheit in less than 10 minutes," Schaer says. "We're not even talking about a quick run into the drugstore with the animal in a closed car. You don't want to do that."

13th Juror said:

Pets Left In Vehicles - Summer Heat Causes Death, Heat Stroke & Exhaustion

13th Juror's Personal note:

Living in Florida where the temps reach into the 80's in April and continue climbing into the high 90's for the next 6 months .. I have repeatedly seen people leave their beloved pets in a locked car with the windows rolled up or just slightly down an inch.

The extreme heat that quickly builds up in the vehicle can and often does cause severe brain & respiratory damage - if not death. The consequences of this owner neglect causes severe suffering to the animal and is NOT reversible. No 2nd chances.

Irresponsible pet owners that 'take their pet along for a ride' to go shopping or do errands and leave them in an enclosed car for even 2 minutes make me livid. I have witnessed pets "going down" - and worse. Much worse!

I will never apologize for the number of times I have called LE and broken car windows to save an animal's life. Some owners are grateful - others who don't intellectually comprehend the consequences of their actions have become angry & sometimes threatened legal action. From my perspective, the latter didn't deserve the privilege of owning & caring for an animal to begin with. IMO - we are as responsible for the care & guardianship of our animals as we are for our children.

Let's face it .. summers are hot everywhere. Please don't leave your pet in a vehicle while you run in the store - not even for just a few minutes. If you absolutely must .. then, my suggestion would be - park in the shade, leave the car engine running and the AC on (65-70 degrees) and hurry to accomplish your errand.

We need to remember that our pets only breathe through their nose & mouth. The body heat cannot escape through the pores of their skin (other than foot pads) like us humans do when we sweat. Heat stroke and heat exhaustion can happen quickly & extremely painfully to our beloved fur-babies.

Parents - please educate your newly driving teens and anyone else that may not realize the dangers & consequences of leaving an animal in an enclosed car. Pets are better left at home - whenever possible.

I apologize to websleuthers if this post sounds in any way "preachy" - that's not my intention. My intent is "to remind" or "provide information". Quite simply - this is an issue I'm extremely passionate about. Thanks, to all, for understanding. :blowkiss:

13th Juror :)

SundayRain - I do hope you'll visit & contribute to our "Summer Pet Care Tips - For ALL Of Us" in the Pet Corner Forum.

Warm smiles to you for posting that timely reminder on animals left in cars during the hot summer months.

13th Juror :)

I just hope the idiot savants at NASA have it right this time.

My best friend had a chunk of the last shuttle land in his yard.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I just hope the idiot savants at NASA have it right this time.

My best friend had a chunk of the last shuttle land in his yard.

Tyler, Texas? Or Corsicana? Can't remember where all it went.

I have been to several launchings. They were before the shuttles though. My parents had invitations and took my boys and me along. They were awesome. The whole ground shakes, and the roar as they lift off is almost deafening. What an experience.

Speaking of boys wanting to go into space. Near where I live now, the town where I work, Burlington, Co. is the hometown of an astronaut who has been up several times and still works for NASA. Mike Lounge. He comes back to visit every once in a while.

JBean said:
I thought you meant crack like the drug as in crack cocaine was found hidden in the foam on the shuttle. I thought OMG now even the astronauts are smuggling drugs on board.
groundhogs day indeedy.

I thought the same thing when I read the thread title :p . I'm just returning from a mini vacation and doing some catching up...now I don't feel so silly because some of you thought the same...aren't we jaded...lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab
Back