Crazy Pills

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sleep walking is scary, I've done it twice and you have no recollection whatsoever.

Lostgirl, I admire your honesty.
Anyone who uses the phrase 'piss the bed' gets the thumbs up from me, good for you.

narlacat said:
Sleep walking is scary, I've done it twice and you have no recollection whatsoever.

Lostgirl, I admire your honesty.
Anyone who uses the phrase 'piss the bed' gets the thumbs up from me, good for you.

O/T

LOL There is honestly no other way to say it... I pissed the bed while on sleep meds- it is what it is!

Prior to changing my lifestyle, attitude and being stable on meds for the Bipolar, I spent my life hiding from who I was and what I felt. I was a liar, a manipulator, a cheat and a thief. I caused many people emotional pain.. I was selfish, angry, irresponsible and impulsive.

I promised myself that I would never be a liar again, no matter how ugly the truth!

OneLostGrl said:
O/T

Prior to changing my lifestyle, attitude and being stable on meds for the Bipolar, I spent my life hiding from who I was and what I felt. I was a liar, a manipulator, a cheat and a thief. I caused many people emotional pain.. I was selfish, angry, irresponsible and impulsive.

I promised myself that I would never be a liar again, no matter how ugly the truth!
Just wanted to pipe in and say you are not alone with this (although I am sure you know that) I was the same way for a long time and not lying is something I am so proud of today!

For sleep I use trazadone. I know it won't work forever, because I have used it before, but so far it seems to be helping. It doesn't give me strange side effects or freaky dreams, which is better than others I have tried. I have never used medications like ambien for two reasons - 1) I have a long term sleeping issue and 2) I get addicted to things very quickly. All of the other meds I am on (and the list seems to always get longer) supposedly cause drowsiness but unfortunately, I don't seem to experience that side effect when it is time for bed.

Anyway, just wanted to write because I could have written your last post myself.....

Take care!

Angelmommy said:
Just wanted to pipe in and say you are not alone with this (although I am sure you know that) I was the same way for a long time and not lying is something I am so proud of today!

For sleep I use trazadone. I know it won't work forever, because I have used it before, but so far it seems to be helping. It doesn't give me strange side effects or freaky dreams, which is better than others I have tried. I have never used medications like ambien for two reasons - 1) I have a long term sleeping issue and 2) I get addicted to things very quickly. All of the other meds I am on (and the list seems to always get longer) supposedly cause drowsiness but unfortunately, I don't seem to experience that side effect when it is time for bed.

Anyway, just wanted to write because I could have written your last post myself.....

Take care!

Trazadone is a great sleeping medication. During one of my psych hospital stays they tried Trazadone but it made my ears turn bright red and HOT to the touch. It was strange.

There are so many good drugs out there for Insomnia but like you, I get addicted too easily so my option list is pretty short but I take breaks for awhile and use just 100 mg Benadryl for sleep then I can go back on the other stuff. I never stay on anything sedating for too long because I'm so afraid of getting hooked.

I was addicted to Klonopin for about 5 years and it did a hell of a number on me but at the time, I didn't even *know* I was addicted! My Pdoc gave it to me for the Bipolar so I took it as prescribed- I had no clue what an addictive drug it was nor was I informed of some of the more supposably "rare" side effects after long term usage. (http://bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_klonopin.htm)

I trusted my Pdoc... I was young and I just wanted to get better so I did what she told me! I have learned from that, I tell ya! Now I trust no one without researching for myself what is being prescribed!

Do you have Bipolar as well, Angelmommy?

(Back on topic- sorry! :innocent: )

Here is an article I found about Ambien- pretty interesting... http://wcco.com/health/health_story_308213929.html

~Snip~
A health warning about the latest craze on the party scene. People are getting high -- not on an illegal drug or a prescription painkiller -- but on one of the most popular sleeping medications in this country.

Ambien is the best-selling prescription sleeping pill in the United States. Doctors wrote more than a quarter million prescriptions for it last year alone.

But the government is concerned that some people, including kids, are abusing this little pill. They say it makes them high and even black out...

Onelostgirl, I read your excellent post with a lot of interest.After posting my frivalous comment I was listening to a woman who was on Stillnox and went to bed ,got up and put an electric heater in the bed with her.Luckily her partner noticed and removed the heater before she was seriously harmed.

This is a serious thing and the drug is now being declared a 'last resort' medication amongst the medical profession.Some people ( like me) have no ill effects but others are being put in serious danger when these pills are prescribed. How do people know how they will be affected?

kazzbar said:
Onelostgirl, I read your excellent post with a lot of interest.After posting my frivalous comment I was listening to a woman who was on Stillnox and went to bed ,got up and put an electric heater in the bed with her.Luckily her partner noticed and removed the heater before she was seriously harmed.

This is a serious thing and the drug is now being declared a 'last resort' medication amongst the medical profession.Some people ( like me) have no ill effects but others are being put in serious danger when these pills are prescribed. How do people know how they will be affected?

Ya know, that's the scary part, kazzbar... we don't know how it'll affect us and if someone were to have a bad experience they won't even be aware that it's happening!!!

Some things I have read have even gone as far as to say that Ambien can sure work like a "date rape drug".

I dunno- we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we don't take it, we don't sleep- if we don't sleep, we get sick (in my case, lack of sleep can throw me into a mania) if we get sick, everyone wants to know why we aren't taking our medications!

:confused:

Im sorry I made light of this aswell....I didnt realize the more serious side effects of taking the drug....my apologies:eek: .

I suffer from insomnia also.I excercise , have lost weight, keep busy but still I do not sleep.I am slowly working my way through over the counter sleep treatments. i sleep then wake up and cannot get back to sleep. Every night... Damn near drives me nuts! Of course, the less sleep I have the less I tend to need but it wears me out.The whole sleep thing is just a train wreck and i just live with no sleep.I know there are a lot of members with the same affliction on here... I think we should start an insomniacs only thread!:rolleyes:

Have you tried Restavit Kazz......theyre over the counter meds.....hubby uses them when hes on nite shift...helps him get a better sleep

I've had trouble getting sleepy at night for 12 years since having a lupus like illness after taking the Hep B immunization and Ambien was the only thing that helped. Ambien did cause me to become forgetful, could have caused GERD, and I once got up and got a twinkie then woke up the next day with it smushed all over my pillow and side of my face. My friend got up and drove over to her boyfriend's house, sat in a chair, and went to sleep. People should go straight to bed when taking it but it makes you feel a little lighthearted and good, so after awhile I believe people stay up too long to get these effects.

dingo said:
Have you tried Restavit Kazz......theyre over the counter meds.....hubby uses them when hes on nite shift...helps him get a better sleep
Might give them a go Dingo, try them before going to the doctors to get a script.
How much do they cost?

txsvicki said:
snip People should go straight to bed when taking it but it makes you feel a little lighthearted and good, so after awhile I believe people stay up too long to get these effects.

This is true with me.
I take Ambien and I have a hard time timing when to go to bed. Because there is a few minutes where you feel really good, like no problems etc.... and then you are out. The crazy thing I do is eat, but I am aware. But I continue to eat and doze off and then wake up and take another bite, like of a cheeto for example. Sitting in front of the computer eating and sleeping. Sometimes the next day I have to really really think hard what I have ate the night before. I eat more after taking the ambien then I do all day sometimes.
I have never gotten up after going to bed and done anything. It is just that hour after taking it. Eating and talking on the phone. I usually don't remember conversations.
And Hubby has "you know" and I didn't remember most of it either.
Sorry to ramble. I swear it is morning and I have not taken anything this morning. Know if this had been at night, I have no idea what I might post.

I used to sleepwalk. It made my parents think I was taking drugs - but I didn't hurt anything - just walked around waving my hands saying "ooh the pretty butterflies" or tried to walk through my wall and was very angry I couldn't... stuff like that.

My husband (years ago, when I was married) took pain killers when he was injured in a work related accident. He painted a door in the kid's room - bright blue, bright red and bright green. He detailed all the "sections" in the door in a different color and did an excellent job. He swears to this day it wasn't him that did it. :)

kazzbar said:
I suffer from insomnia also.I excercise , have lost weight, keep busy but still I do not sleep.I am slowly working my way through over the counter sleep treatments. i sleep then wake up and cannot get back to sleep. Every night... Damn near drives me nuts! Of course, the less sleep I have the less I tend to need but it wears me out.The whole sleep thing is just a train wreck and i just live with no sleep.I know there are a lot of members with the same affliction on here... I think we should start an insomniacs only thread!:rolleyes:
Hi Kazz and all. I am one of those wierd people (no comments Glitch :hand: ) who can't take sleeping pills or take a full adult dose of Nyquil. It has the opposite effect, I makes me wide awake I am taling eyelids glued open kind of wide awake. Turns out my Mom is the same way. The only thing that helps me with occasional sleeplesness is Gaia Herbs Sound Sleep. I take this 30 mins before I go to bed with a little room temp water and I sleep great. Most night when I am having trouble sleepign though I use a CD that entitled "Sleep". (I'll get more info on that for you guys if you want.) Anyway, it does something like recreate beta waves. All I know is that about 15 - 20 mins into listening to the CD I feel like I have taken something to make me sleep. I get that can't lift my head off the pillow feeling and I have never made it past the 30 min mark with out falling asleep. I know neither of these will work for everyone, but if anyone is interested I can get you more info.

Okay, I am embarrased by that lost post. I just saw all the spelling errors, too many to edit. I am just trying to type fast here and keep up with whats on my desk at work. Sorry, I really am not an illiterate crazy person. :crazy:

curious1 said:
Okay, I am embarrased by that lost post. I just saw all the spelling errors, too many to edit. I am just trying to type fast here and keep up with whats on my desk at work. Sorry, I really am not an illiterate crazy person. :crazy:
No one thinks you are illiterate... :)

You're definitely not alone. When my kid fell through the ceiling, they gave her a codeine medication that woke her up like she was on fire. I worked all day and she kept me up all night! After a week of not much sleep, I was unable to function at 2:30 in the morning when I was almost asleep and she came in (again!) "MOM! You need to help me! I pierced my ears with safety pins!"

I said "Leave me ALONE and go to SLEEP!" (My mantra for the previous week!) She said "You expect me to sleep with safety pins in my ears?"

I recall saying "If YOU put safety pins in YOUR ears at 2:30 in the MORNING, you -explicative- sure better learn how to sleep in them!"

We took her off the medication shortly afterwards.

narlacat said:
Might give them a go Dingo, try them before going to the doctors to get a script.
How much do they cost?
Hi Narla.......Restavits are fairly cheap.......I think I paid around $8 for a pack of 24.....and they work well.

OneLostGrl said:
I was addicted to Klonopin for about 5 years and it did a hell of a number on me
My doctor had me on this for nerves. I seriously drooled and lost time. Which are side effects he said was rare. Scared dh so bad he asked someone how to get me off of them.

OneLostGrl said:
Trazadone is a great sleeping medication. During one of my psych hospital stays they tried Trazadone but it made my ears turn bright red and HOT to the touch. It was strange.

Do you have Bipolar as well, Angelmommy?

(Back on topic- sorry! :innocent: )
Oh wow - I have never heard of that reaction - how strange that must have been!

I am Bipolar as well. I take a lot of scrips for that too, and originally the pdoc hoped it would help with sleep, but unfortunately no :( I am really focusing on keeping that controlled and the sleep is a huge part of that, as I am sure you know, because if the sleep isn't right - nothing is right :)

I will turn the topic back over to the original one now :D

curious1 said:
Hi Kazz and all. I am one of those wierd people (no comments Glitch :hand: ) who can't take sleeping pills or take a full adult dose of Nyquil. It has the opposite effect, I makes me wide awake I am taling eyelids glued open kind of wide awake. Turns out my Mom is the same way. The only thing that helps me with occasional sleeplesness is Gaia Herbs Sound Sleep. I take this 30 mins before I go to bed with a little room temp water and I sleep great. Most night when I am having trouble sleepign though I use a CD that entitled "Sleep". (I'll get more info on that for you guys if you want.) Anyway, it does something like recreate beta waves. All I know is that about 15 - 20 mins into listening to the CD I feel like I have taken something to make me sleep. I get that can't lift my head off the pillow feeling and I have never made it past the 30 min mark with out falling asleep. I know neither of these will work for everyone, but if anyone is interested I can get you more info.
I am very interested in this Cd, Curious 1. I am willing to give it a go....Tell me more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back