CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #5 FOUND DECEASED

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new here but not new to forums. My homebase, a forum for the missing, discourages speculation and promotes posting only facts. I deleted the post immediately after I thought about it and the possibility it could be a common name. I am sorry it caused confusion and added to speculation.

need more coffee- going back to my corner to lurk.

There have been many similar posts (right or wrong) so NO need to stay in corner lurking! Come on out K? :blowkiss:

My theory is it was one of the animal techs who had become infatuated with her, finally approached her and it went very badly, with him killing her in a desperate attempt to keep her from alerting anyone else in the facility.

I am thinking he was in a desperate rush to conceal her body and wouldn't have been thinking about forensic evidence.

I may be proven wrong in the end, but I feel that's the best fit with the really minimal information I've found.

That's exactly what I think. The only problem is that I wonder how the perp thought he'd get away with it b/c I'm finding that Amistad really doesn't have a thousand animal techs. Each one supposedly has to pass clearance and only has access to certain areas. It's ridiculous how antsy we all get when waiting to find out who is named the suspect!

I read this morning, not sure if this is true, that Yale failed to do a full criminal background check on one of their employees. It's made me think of SeriouslySearching saying she wouldn't doubt if the perp had a prior history. I was thinking no way b/c they have to pass clearance in order to have access to a high security area. Boy was I wrong, if this report is correct! & if so, wouldn't that hold Yale open to a plethora of lawsuits? I can't even begin to imagine...if so, the fallout could be catastrophic.

Ok, I understand what you're saying now. Yes, you're right. I took the phrasing to mean "she was "just" doing "basic" research...in a somewhat less important role. Very sorry for the confusion.

On a different note, it was reported that she started volunteering for her local hospital while in high school, just to be involved with their pathology (or) pharmacology department. I think that's amazing. I guess I'm so stuck on this b/c I sure wish I would have finished what I started several years ago...which is the reason I'm going back in the Spring (starting in Spring to go all year long). Anyway, again - thank you.

Oh, yeah. People with that kind of interest and focus get involved very early.
Back when I was a lab manager part of what I did was work with the summer volunteers- very often they were high school students.

It's wonderful you are going back- Best of luck to you!

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_212256187.shtml

According to the reports, an arrest is imminent as police close in on a lab technician, who apparently failed a lie detector test and was covered in unexplained scratches.
Annie Le was to marry a Columbia University graduate student Sunday in Long Island, N.Y.
The newspaper said that bloody clothes were found in a drop ceiling in the building housing the lab, where Le was doing a research project. Her cell phone, wallet and keys were found in her nearby office at Yale Medical School.

Breaks my heart, she was supposed marry on Sunday. How very devastating for all involved.
This would explain the blood on the clothing if she scratched the hell out of him (I personally hope she scarred him for life with deep wounds). It would also mean the evidence against him would be clear cut since they would have the scrapings from underneath her fingernails to match to his DNA. As soon as they finish those tests, I expect an arrest.

Welcome to WS, PostDoc, OHDoc, RBarry and everyone who joined us last night~

Originally Posted by milton99
it seems like she left this world doing what she loved to do. That can't be said for many, if not most people. RIP, Annie

bold by me

You are not alone in your POV cos I saw her own brother wrote this same exact thing on his web page last nite & he was also speaking for the family.

Jersey Girl, I think you misunderstood me. I did not say she was not exceptional. From what I understood, she probably was brilliant. I am just explaining that there is different types of research. Hers was cutting edge, but not necessarily the type that most people would imagine. It would probably NOT lead to a cure.

I have a crying baby here and can not go into the detail I would like. I am just saying that her research was probably not the reason she was killed. Impossible? NO. Unlikely, yes.

Thank you so much. Yes, I did misunderstand...and posted just a few secs ago. Very sorry for the confusion. Please take care of the little baby and give him/her lots of kisses from all of us!
:blowkiss:

I don't know if that's statistical. This was years ago.We had pagers and were on call when a rape victim called police or went to the hospital. I had 3 small kids at the time and would look for lighter shifts.That what I was told.Rapists stay home with their families on holidays,generally speaking.
Point is,you just never know who could be involved.Like Toi,you could be living with them and not have a clue.

Boots on the ground statistics are usually the best. What you were told makes alot of sense to me.

Agreed - I don't know how/why the issue of the autoclave was brought up.

Not only is the autoclave accessible to anyone who has access to the lab animal facility itself (at least in our institution), but running it would take quite a bit of time (to generate the heat and pressure, exposure time, then depressurizing and cooling).

I think the autoclave has come up because the lab techs would use it and because it was identified as the source of the fire alarm just after noon on the day Annie was reported missing.

No press conference today, no arrest imminent. Leaks are not helping investigation per FOX.

My theory is it was one of the animal techs who had become infatuated with her, finally approached her and it went very badly, with him killing her in a desperate attempt to keep her from alerting anyone else in the facility.

I am thinking he was in a desperate rush to conceal her body and wouldn't have been thinking about forensic evidence.

I may be proven wrong in the end, but I feel that's the best fit with the really minimal information I've found.

Agreed - this is the most feasible scenario given the available info.

That's exactly what I think. The only problem is that I wonder how the perp thought he'd get away with it b/c I'm finding that Amistad really doesn't have a thousand animal techs. Each one supposedly has to pass clearance and only has access to certain areas. It's ridiculous how antsy we all get when waiting to find out who is named the suspect!

I read this morning, not sure if this is true, that Yale failed to do a full criminal background check on one of their employees. It's made me think of SeriouslySearching saying she wouldn't doubt if the perp had a prior history. I was thinking no way b/c they have to pass clearance in order to have access to a high security area. Boy was I wrong, if this report is correct! & if so, wouldn't that hold Yale open to a plethora of lawsuits? I can't even begin to imagine...if so, the fallout could be catastrophic.
I can't take credit for saying anything about the criminal background of the perp on this one. I don't recall who brought it up, but it is an excellent observation if it is true. Yes, it should lead to lawsuits in this case. If they failed to do basic background checks on people allowed access to sensitive material and to the students/staff working in the environment...they should be held accountable, imo.

I don't think he was necessarily thinking at all- just reacting.
I don't know how large the Amistad facility is, but mine has about 10 animal techs and it's on the smaller side.

I don't think my university does criminal checks. I could be wrong, but I've never heard about it. I don't think they even drug test applicants for the animal tech positions.

Police Hone In On Suspect In Yale Case
Suspect Is Lab Worker, Police Say
POSTED: 9:16 am EDT September 15, 2009
UPDATED: 9:31 am EDT September 15, 2009
<snipped>
Police said the suspect is a Yale employee and works in the lab where the remains of Le were found stuffed behind a wall.

The suspect failed a lie detector test and has wounds that suggest a recent struggle. Police said Tuesday that no arrests had been made in the case.

Le's remains were found in a basement lab of a Yale building on Amistad Street on Sunday, her would-be wedding day. The remains were positively identified as Le during an autopsy on Monday. The medical examiner said the manner in which Le died was expected to be released after 3 p.m. Tuesday.

On Saturday, bloodied clothing was found hidden in a drop ceiling in another part of the building. Police said they were testing to determine whether the clothing belongs to Le or someone else.

The building at 10 Amistad St. building was closed on Sunday and remained closed on Tuesday, but the road itself had opened to traffic.

SLIDESHOW: Remains In Yale Wall ID'd As Annie Le
http://www.wfsb.com/slideshow/slideshows/20838206/detail.html

Video: Interviews Conducted In Yale Killing
http://www.wfsb.com/video/20911937/index.html

Video: Vigil To Be Held For Le
http://www.wfsb.com/video/20912780/index.html

Article:
http://www.wfsb.com/news/20921664/detail.html

:angel:

"In his address to the medical school community Monday afternoon, Levin explained that the material of the wall behind which Le&#8217;s body was hidden made it difficult for dogs or humans to locate her.

&#8220;It was only after a number of days that the scent became detectable,&#8221; he said."

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/university-news/2009/09/15/killer-likely-works-lab/

And a letter to the governor from the Jovins

http://www.courant.com/news/breaking/hc-jovin-rell-letter-pdf-html,0,855848.htmlpage

I can't take credit for saying anything about the criminal background of the perp on this one. I don't recall who brought it up, but it is an excellent observation if it is true. Yes, it should lead to lawsuits in this case. If they failed to do basic background checks on people allowed access to sensitive material and to the students/staff working in the environment...they should be held accountable, imo.

Oh wow, I thought it was you, SS, that said it first. My apologies to whomever it was. Please don't make me go through all the posts from the beginning...:)

Just to shine a bit of light on the subject, this is a good description of the type of research that Annie was likely doing...it is from Wiki

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_research[/ame]

Basic research or fundamental research (sometimes pure research) is research carried out to increase understanding of fundamental principles. Many times the end results have no direct or immediate commercial benefits: basic research can be thought of as arising out of curiosity. However, in the long term it is the basis for many commercial products and applied research. Basic research is mainly carried out by universities.

I am NOT putting down basic scientists. I was a basic scientist. Outside of my own lab, few people in the entire university really understood or cared about what I was doing. There were about 5-10 labs in the world doing similar stuff and they could be quite competitive, because everyone wanted to be the first to publish a topic. But the nearest "competitor" was probably about 1000 miles away. We almost never saw each other, except at annual meetings.

Basic research is generally not the type of stuff people are killed for.

NHPD: Arrest in Yale case NOT imminent
Autopsy results to be released at 3pm
Updated: Tuesday, 15 Sep 2009, 11:04 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 15 Sep 2009, 5:37 AM EDT
<snipped>
New Haven police said today that an arrest was not imminent in the murder case of a Yale graduate student.

Earlier reports indicated that police were close to making an arrest in the death of 24-year old Annie Le.

The New Haven Register , citing police sources, reports a lab technician who works inside 10 Amistad St. is the focus of the investigation.

New Haven Police Officer Joe Avery issued a brief statement late Monday morning and said no suspects were in custody and he could not confirm or deny that they had a person of interest.

The Yale Daily News reports University President Richard Levin met with members of the medical school community, and said people who had access to the basement where Le's body was found are being monitored.

"The people in the basement aren&#8217;t going to cause any trouble until the matter is resolved," Levin said.

The Office of the State Medical Examiner confirmed the identity of Le after an autopsy Monday, and ruled her death a homicide. The cause of death was not initially disclosed, though police say they will be releasing that information at 3pm.

Article:
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_ha..._haven_police_suspect_lab_worker_200909150653

Agreed - I don't know how/why the issue of the autoclave was brought up.

Not only is the autoclave accessible to anyone who has access to the lab animal facility itself (at least in our institution), but running it would take quite a bit of time (to generate the heat and pressure, exposure time, then depressurizing and cooling).

I originally brought it up as a possible source of the steam that triggered the fire alarm. It had been reported that steam from a piece of laboratory equipment had triggered the fire alarm that afternoon.

I soon regretted mentioning it as the speculation very quickly headed in a direction I had not foreseen nor meant to imply.

I don't think he was necessarily thinking at all- just reacting.
I don't know how large the Amistad facility is, but mine has about 10 animal techs and it's on the smaller side.

I don't think my university does criminal checks. I could be wrong, but I've never heard about it. I don't think they even drug test applicants for the animal tech positions.

The Amistad building is 120K sq ft not including the parking garage, which is attached to it. ALL occupants of the building have to have access cards, no matter who they are, and employees have to pass checks b/c of the sensitive nature/material housed at Amistad. Again, I found this last night. I believe it was in an online html or pdf file from just before the opening of the building...maybe the ribbon cutting ceremony? The department heads were there, which are 3, with lead investigators appointed underneath them.

OMG - what a horrible story!!! How did you get through it all? Did the stalkee know she was in danger? Were there any clues when you looked back at your life with him that he was capable of this? And how did you learn to trust again? What signs should someone look for to see if their significant other is capable of such murderous acts?

I apologize for all the questions. I have never heard a tale like yours before and it seems so tied to what happened to poor Annie Le.

The woman never knew of his intentions. He would get depressed around Aug. every year like clockwork. So when he started feeling blue it was no surprise to me until he never came back home. He was diagnosed with OCD, Bi Polar, and a few others throughout his life until he met the Dr that properly diagnosed him with PS. He always bit his nails to the extreme. Ya know how some people just gnaw at their nails? He did but he would bite the skin off to. I thought that it was due to the skin getting dried out and chaffing or callusing up so to speak. So I just thought it was part of his OCD. The Dr told me that he was biting off his fingerprints and trying to alter them so he wouldn't get caught. I still don't trust anyone I don't think. I try really hard to overcome my trust issues but its very hard. He will always be in my life b/c I have 2 AWESOME kiddos with him. It is beyond hard to explain to them why I divorced their dad. At this point they ask why I broke up our family. I just wanna scream it out loud sometimes but I can't fathom what that would do to them to hear that. So I carry the burden and probably always will. I watch them like a hawk for signs of PS or anything else that he may have passed on to them. His mother said that he was very much a loner as a kid but she just thought he was shy. He does take a cocktail of medication on a daily basis. He said he would never stop or he would act on his fantasies. I wish he did talk to the TV or imaginary people then I think I could have handled it. But when you find out that your best friend, the person you trust most in the world wants to be Ted Bundy I think it's time to reevaluate the relationship ya know.The Dr said he had a certain type of PS that serial killers and killers in general have. I looked like that chick from the Linda Blair Project with tears and snot pouring off my chin screaming at this poor Dr telling him over and over "You don't know him I do he's my best friend I sleep next to him every night you don't." Before I was told why exactly he had been committed I had talked to some attorneys and a judge that said this Dr couldn't hold my husband unless he was a threat to society. Of course I was screaming this at the Dr as well that I was gonna sue and cussing him so badly. After a while of this going on the Dr stood up and put his finger at the tip of my nose and screamed Lady you don't know who you sleep next to every night! Then he proceeded to tell me the details and asked my hubby to tell about how he was going to kill some poor woman that he had been stalking. I stopped crying and started gasping for air and fell in the seat behind me. It was like someone ran over me with an 18 wheeler truck. The first question I asked was "Is he gonna hurt my children or me?" The Dr said not likely b/c they look at people in a "robotic" way. He said that generally family members are the last ones to get hurt from these types. But anyone on the "outside" of our family circle would be in grave danger of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478