Found Deceased CT - Anton Sovetov, 44, Yale Univ employee, New Haven, 4 Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
View attachment 342497
Obituary/tribute link below. Some quotes:

A bear of a man, always bearded, Sovetov was fastidiously tidy and orderly, and deeply invested in his work, colleagues said. He carefully queued the books on his desk, with a designated spot for borrowed books.

ALSO:
Sovetov discovered art as a child in St. Petersburg, his hometown. He taught himself drawing and calligraphy, and from an early age copied illustrations from J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” books for himself and friends, he told Gambell.

Also a serious flautist at an early age, Sovetov attended a music-focused primary school, followed by an English-language high school. He briefly studied law but found it didn’t suit him and dropped out of university. He learned computer-based illustration and, for about a decade, worked for a series of commercial printing and graphic design firms. He eventually returned to school, enrolling in the Royal Academy of Art in The Hague, and briefly worked there before enrolling at Yale.

“My heart breaks for the loss of Anton,” said Yale Vice President for Communications Nate Nickerson, who oversees the Office of Public Affairs & Communications, of which the University Printer’s office is part. “He was a graphic designer of singular vision: his work for Yale was at turns playful, arresting, somber, and joyous — he had the rare talent of giving emotional power to nearly everything he touched.

AND:
Sovetov relished the subtleties and playfulness of language, delighting in the existence in English of both “homebody” and “homeboy,” for instance. Among his closest colleagues, he let fly colorful comments, Gambell said, “many of them not quotable.”

Within a serious and intense personality, Sovetov nourished a sense of humor about himself. To Gambell he once declared, “John, I am a misanthrope.” (To which Gambell replied, “Well, if so, you’re the nicest one I’ve ever met.”)

Anton Sovetov, graphic designer, dies at 44
What an incredible tribute to a man loved by so many.

As a person with knowledge of this case, I can say that his friends, coworkers, and family are extremely worried. There are signs posted all around New Haven asking for help.

Yale has been extremely tight-lipped about the case. He was reported missing on February 8 and the police did not issue a public announcement for nearly two weeks. It has been a source of intense frustration for those who care about him.

From what people close to the case have been told (and full disclosure I say this with only second degree knowledge of the conversation with the Yale Police), his groceries were out on the counter when the police went into the apartment. Bike, phone, and winter jacket were all there in the apartment (it was February, and freezing). His TV was on. There was no sign of a struggle. A search of the building (with a canine unit) revealed nothing.

No information has been provided about cameras in the area, although the Yale Daily News reported that some business owners nearby said that the police had not questioned them or asked for footage.

That’s all I know. Being connected to Yale means that they have a lot of control over the messaging around this. But please know that his community is desperately concerned.
I used to work on Church Street up until Covid. Our company moved buildings. There has to be cameras in that area. Wondering if police have more clues and if possible another Yale employee may be involved. Yale had a lot of leverage on the city. He had to open his door to someone. I'm sure his cell phone data will provide some info too.

Hopefully police will know. Or at least try to investigate!

I did read in an article where his friends were talking about him, that Anton described himself as a 'misanthrope' and that he could be serious and intense.

I just wondered if he was prone to depression or despondent thought?

People who feel like that, well, the moment can strike at anytime and people can commit suicide even after just getting home from the shops. (We had a case like that in the UK in December.)

But then again, how did he get from New Haven, CT to Long Island, NY if he only had a bicycle, and the bicycle was at home. Hmmm.

I wonder where his wallet and phone were? At home too or not?

If it is suicide, I will understand Anton's death more. Because if it is foul play, it makes no sense why someone would want this lovely man dead.

Oh. Why does the world have to be like this?!

Actually, suicide doesn't make any sense in this case. He was looking forward to things, was planning for things, had his TV on and fresh groceries on the counter. And he didn't take his coat. All of these things point to foul play, not suicide. While some people do kill themselves impulsively, it would be exceedingly rare for a case to be like this and I'd be careful about drawing that conclusion.

Actually, suicide doesn't make any sense in this case. He was looking forward to things, was planning for things, had his TV on and fresh groceries on the counter. And he didn't take his coat. All of these things point to foul play, not suicide. While some people do kill themselves impulsively, it would be exceedingly rare for a case to be like this and I'd be careful about drawing that conclusion.

It could be a possibility though.

Do you think the police think it may be suicide, hence the reason for their reluctance to investigate properly?

Or do we think something deeper may be involved and the police's hands are tied due to instruction from further up the LE chain and Yale heavyweights?

if he still hadn't out his groceries away, then someone got him out if his flat, mere minutes one even seconds after he got in, which makes me think someone could have been watching him and his movements.

MOO.

It could be a possibility though.

Do you think the police think it may be suicide, hence the reason for their reluctance to investigate properly?

Or do we think something deeper may be involved and the police's hands are tied due to instruction from further up the LE chain and Yale heavyweights?

if he still hadn't out his groceries away, then someone got him out if his flat, mere minutes one even seconds after he got in, which makes me think someone could have been watching him and his movements.

MOO.

Everything can be a possibility, but there isn't anything to suggest this was a suicide. In fact, there's ample evidence to suggest it wasn't.

My theory is that someone followed him home or maybe he interrupted a burglary in progress and didn't realize it until he began to get settled.

Body of missing Yale employee found in Suffolk County, N.Y.

The body of Anton Sovetov, a Yale employee who had been the subject of a missing person’s investigation since early February, was found on the Long Island, New York shoreline on Saturday, April 30.

The cause of death is under investigation by the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s Office on Long Island. The Yale and New Haven police departments are assisting Suffolk County police in the continuing investigation of Sovetov’s disappearance.
WHAT? I can't believe that I'm just seeing this now, and how on earth did he get all the way there in the winter with no car and groceries left unpacked. How terribly sad for his friends, coworkers, and loved ones. I hope that whoever did this to him -- if anyone did it to him -- is caught and brought to justice.

Welcome to Websleuths! I'm really glad that you're here and thank you for all of that information. Interesting that his groceries were on the counter; I don't know why I suspected that that they weren't put away, but I did suspect that -- maybe because of the attention that was being paid to the question of whether there's anyone of interest in the video of him shopping. It sounds like we can all stop thinking about places where he might have gone hiking.

I hope that the police are being tight-lipped because they think they know what happened and are just quietly collecting evidence. It almost seems like he could be hidden in the building someplace, like Annie Le was. I guess the building doesn't have cameras? That's really surprising to me given how inexpensive they've gotten.

How strange that there was no public announcement for such a long period of time.
It is so tight-lipped that when I read about it on FB, it ended up with “body being found”. I was absolutely sure from the article that it was suicide, because nothing was said at all. No “ongoing investigation”, no “requests from the police”. And while I know of cases when people intentionally went far away into forests to kill themselves, so that no one would find them for long, they would absolutely leave it all pristine in apartments, so that their mere absence would not generate questions. From what I read here, he left in haste. Very odd. And the timing, too.

Found an article with some details.

A 4-year-old boy walking on the beach with his mother and their dog discovered the body of Yale University graphic designer Anton Sovetov on Duck Pond Road beach in the Long Island town of Southold, N.Y.

Sovetov was dressed in a black T-shirt and black pants and was wearing his shoes. Kaufman said the officer “seemed to think that there wasn’t” trauma to the body.
Officer Daniel Mackey responded at 10:56 a.m. and then called in Detective Roman Wilinski, according to the police report. The Suffolk County medical examiner’s office then responded and removed the body “for further investigation,” the report states.
Flatley said he was in contact with Yale and New Haven police but that those departments are in charge of the investigation. “The circumstances of the death itself would be on the Connecticut side since that’s where he was reported missing from,” Flatley said. He said the medical examiner’s office would be investigating the cause of death.

As a person with knowledge of this case, I can say that his friends, coworkers, and family are extremely worried. There are signs posted all around New Haven asking for help.

Yale has been extremely tight-lipped about the case. He was reported missing on February 8 and the police did not issue a public announcement for nearly two weeks. It has been a source of intense frustration for those who care about him.

From what people close to the case have been told (and full disclosure I say this with only second degree knowledge of the conversation with the Yale Police), his groceries were out on the counter when the police went into the apartment. Bike, phone, and winter jacket were all there in the apartment (it was February, and freezing). His TV was on. There was no sign of a struggle. A search of the building (with a canine unit) revealed nothing.

No information has been provided about cameras in the area, although the Yale Daily News reported that some business owners nearby said that the police had not questioned them or asked for footage.

That’s all I know. Being connected to Yale means that they have a lot of control over the messaging around this. But please know that his community is desperately concerned.
BUMPING for Andre

Any updates @Ght2435? My apologies if my timing is not good since grief after loss is a long path.

Not finding any reports of autopsy results. I'm curious because he went missing in early Feb. yet his seemingly intact body was found months later?

If Andre met with foul play, it would be good to know justice is being pursued.

MOO

@Ght2435
As an insider, have you heard any updates about autopsy results or whether criminal activity was involved in Anton's disappearance and death?

Thank you in advance for sharing updates you can.

Since Sovetov’s body was found in May, no cause of death nor official reports have been released by police or the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s Office. The investigation remains open.
Sovetov’s former classmates, colleagues and friends gathered at the Yale School of Art’s Edgewood Gallery in late June, swapping sentimental Sovetov stories while admiring his artwork displayed along the walls inside.
“Anton was a collection of contradictions,” said outgoing Vice President for Communications Nate Nickerson, who got to know Sovetov through his design work for the Yale Office of Public Affairs and Communications, or OPAC. “He was thoroughly modern but terribly old-fashioned, a little bit wild but quite fastidious, he was blunt but soft.”

In his five years with OPAC, Sovetov took the reins on projects designing posters and graphics for the Office of Sustainability, the Carbon Charge Initiative and the School of Public Health. “Anton reflected the very best of Yale,” said Nickerson.

Published 8-30-22

I find this case so baffling. If he died by suicide why was he wearing just a t-shirt? Even if one believes that he bought groceries, got them half-unpacked and then decided he couldn't go on with life for more than a single minute longer, wouldn't he put back on a jacket before walking out the door and (I guess) walking to the waterfront (which is close but not THAT close) and (as the theory would go) throwing himself into the Long Island Sound?

I find this case so baffling. If he died by suicide why was he wearing just a t-shirt? Even if one believes that he bought groceries, got them half-unpacked and then decided he couldn't go on with life for more than a single minute longer, wouldn't he put back on a jacket before walking out the door and (I guess) walking to the waterfront (which is close but not THAT close) and (as the theory would go) throwing himself into the Long Island Sound?
He disappeared in early February 2022. I am surprised there were intact remains in May 2022. I suspect he died closer to the date his body was found. If so, where was he from Feb. to April or May?

Who would abduct Anton & why? Where would he disappear to on his own so suddenly, leaving groceries on the counter & the TV on?

It is a very odd case. If someone harmed AS, they need to be brought to justice.
MOO

This came out today -- police have hinted at a "health condition" and his mother says that she was told that LE believes he entered the water willingly. They are waiting for his autopsy results, which are due to be available soon, but LE strongly hints that they know what happened to him based on going through his computer and belongings and say that all the details may never be released, in order to protect Anton's privacy.

This came out today -- police have hinted at a "health condition" and his mother says that she was told that LE believes he entered the water willingly. They are waiting for his autopsy results, which are due to be available soon, but LE strongly hints that they know what happened to him based on going through his computer and belongings and say that all the details may never be released, in order to protect Anton's privacy.
“This was an exhaustive case,” Yale Police Chief Anthony Campbell said. “Every resource possible was thrown at it. Every possible angle, from ‘Did he want to go missing on his own?’ to ‘Was he abducted?’ ‘Was he a spy? ‘Was he a threat to the state?’ We’ve come at it from every possible angle — you name it, we’ve come at it.”
DeCarlo explained to the News that police will typically release silver alerts when the person reported missing is a juvenile, elderly, or has a potentially life-threatening medical condition. Police released a silver alert for Sovetov on Saturday, Feb. 19.

Ontero said the YPD released that silver alert when they found out Sovetov did have a potentially life-threatening medical condition.

Police declined to share what that medical condition was.

I still think it is very odd he disappeared in early February & his body was found intact with clothing on in May at a location far from his apartment.

Maybe questions will always remain for the public. I hope his mother gets more helpful answers when the autopsy is complete.

Andre made a strong professional & personal impact at Yale. I'm sure his friends still miss him. I'm sorry if he was dealing with something he feared and got overwhelmed to the point of taking his life. It can be hard to have no family nearby & to be single at midlife even with supportive friends.

I am glad he was found & was able to be laid to rest.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supersnooper001
Back