CT CT - Barbara Hamburg, 48, Madison, 3 Mar 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE WHOLE MURDER ON MIDDLE BEACH DOCUMENTARY:

Brilliant Documentary!

I really think that JH hired somebody to kill BH. He had the money and resources to do that. I have never heard a more deceptive suspect in my life, nor seen a more distrusting person. Denying all of those documents with his name on them! The guy in the ski mask is Barbara's killer. And I learned that JH's DNA was not at the crime scene. I wonder what items did they test for DNA?

Grateful that Madison and Ali got out of that toxic home environment! And very grateful to Madison for taking the time to do this amazing, and emotional masterpiece of work!

Satch

IMO, this was a crime of passion. Up close, personal, body covered up. So no hitman, as they would execute, not personal. That leaves Jeff and Conway as far as I'm concerned. Not Ali, troubled teen but no murderer who could drag 160 lbs of dead weight in broad daylight without being seen or covered in blood.

If you follow the money, which I agree is wise, then it's more likely Jeff. Barb knew a lot about his financial crimes. Conway didn't seem to have a pot to pee in. IMO, she likes the spotlight and is strangely proud of her extremely troubled past. I feel like the doc is just another way to get attention, this time nationally. She doesn't care if it's positive or negative attention. But Jeff sure seems to. JMO.

If it's Jeff though, and not a hitman hired by Jeff, why wasn't Jeff's DNA found at the crime scene? Conway was messed up, but not a murderer.

Satch

If it's Jeff though, and not a hitman hired by Jeff, why wasn't Jeff's DNA found at the crime scene? Conway was messed up, but not a murderer.

Satch
I made a post a few moments ago about Conway. I don't think she did it. She just likes the attention from the documentary and is especially craven for blaming her own niece.

As for the hitman scenario, I don't feel like it fits. Too personal. What hitman would look to find cushions to cover the body and look for a pallet to cover a bloodstain? The pallet would bring more attention from the street than a bloodstain. Even if the DNA found did not match Jeffrey, DNA doesn't make all cases, unfortunately. I've seen some MSM articles report that the DNA they found was from a male in the Hamburg family, which could be explained away by her own son's occasional presence in the house. And no, I'm not in the camp that thinks Madison killed his mom!

But Madison gets the PD files through FOIA eventually at the end of the documentary. It was an added update. It was a struggle though!

Satch
I want to hear the whole call so badly! The doc ended too soon.

I made a post a few moments ago about Conway. I don't think she did it. She just likes the attention from the documentary and is especially craven for blaming her own niece.

As for the hitman scenario, I don't feel like it fits. Too personal. What hitman would look to find cushions to cover the body and look for a pallet to cover a bloodstain? The pallet would bring more attention from the street than a bloodstain. Even if the DNA found did not match Jeffrey, DNA doesn't make all cases, unfortunately. I've seen some MSM articles report that the DNA they found was from a male in the Hamburg family, which could be explained away by her own son's occasional presence in the house. And no, I'm not in the camp that thinks Madison killed his mom!

Oh Man!

1000% sure Madison did NOT kill his Mother:

1.) He was away at school in Georgia when this happened.
2.) No motive for him to do that.
3.) Madison seems to be the nicest, coolest, and most normal guy in the whole Hamburg clan!
4.) No one spends six years writing and screening a documentary, about a murder if they did a murder.
5.) He would be an awesome friend and supporter to people in time of sorrow. His tribute to his Mom at the end of episode four, brought me to tears! This man is AMAZING!

Satch

Things I hope Madison finds out through the FOIA Documents he now has:

1.) When Barbra got that mysterious phone call about the court date time changed to 2pm from 9:30 am, when it always was 9:30, to whom was she speaking? Phone records needed.

2.) Why didn't Barbra call her attorney immediately when she got that call?

3.) At what time do most document Barbra's murder?

4.) What items were DNA tested?

Satch

Here is the 911 call, made by Conway Beach at 11:25 a.m. on March 3, 2010

C 911 - 44 Middle Beach W 3 - 3-10 11 - 24 - 36 (mp3cut.net)

Something feels off about this call. It reminds me a bit of the Patsy Ramsey call from the JonBenet case...
I hear total shock, disbelief, trying to not believe what is happening, interspersed with a difficulty in breathing, hitching breath, that sounds real and involuntary. It sounds to me like she's witnessing the scene for the first time.

Ditto. I especially want to hear the very beginning. I wonder why they didn’t play this in the documentary.
I can't find a 911 call longer than the 1:37. I did find mention though of the call being 5 minutes long in a few different articles. I don't know why the full call would not be posted somewhere if the FOI got information released?

Is it possible that Aunt Jill framed Jeff? Hear me out for a moment.

The 2 pm call implies premeditation by someone Barb knew. The timing of the attack on March 3rd is too coincidental to be a stranger to me. And Jeff had to know that said timing would point directly to him, alibi or not.

So what if the March 3rd timing was intentional?

Aunt Jill had intimate knowledge of the court proceedings. As she says in the doc, "It seems to me your father stood to lose the most if she lived." But did he? The feds had already begun to build a case against members of the Gifting Tables. Jill was one of the ring leaders of what amounted to an illegal pyramid scheme and federal crime. She'd be facing serious jail time (prosecutors wanted to jail her for 18 years at one point.) She'd already confronted Barb over her recklessness when it came to recruiting new gifting members. Jill was upset that Barb targeted members of her AA group and Jill's own sister. With the feds building their case, it makes sense that Jill would want the Gifting Tables to keep a low profile and be cautious with their new recruits. But Barb refused to cooperate, putting the whole operation at risk.

It's important to remember that Jill got into the Gifting Tables to finance her husband's medical expenses (after she was arrested, she told the judge that her husband's health insurance was over $2,600 a month, before medication.) Her husband had had a pacemaker inserted, and the cash flow from the Tables was their answer to mounting medical costs. When a member of Barb's tables got angry and reported the group to the IRS, suddenly Jill's husband's medical expenses are in jeopardy. Without insurance and medication, he would die. Desperate people do desperate things.

Jill and her husband fit the "2 attacker theory." What if Barb returned home from taking Ali and found them waiting in her driveway (explaining why she didn't park in the garage.) If she'd come upon a stranger in her yard, she'd have remained in the car. But if she saw relatives, she would get out and walk toward the house.

Jill's alibi is shakey. She says she was "in a car" with the grandmother at the time of the attack. But she also laughs nervously when Madison asks her whether she was involved, fidgeting with her hands, nodding her head, etc. We need to know her whereabouts from 8 am on March 3rd to 11:25 a.m. when the 911 call was made. This is a large window of time.

Following her release from prison, Jill shows little empathy for the victims of the Tables. In her words "a bunch of women eating dinner and giving each other money, I can think of worse things." She's talking about a serious federal crime where millions of dollars were taken from people. She even jokes about asking the arresting officer, "Don't you have real crimes to investigate?"

Jill would hold it against Barb that a member of Barb's table reported them to the IRS. She would be in a panic over how to finance $2,600 worth of health insurance and medication each month. Her husband would be equally panicked––it's his life. Backed into a corner, they might have seen it as his life or Barb's and justified the attack as necessary to protect themselves.

With Barb out of the way, she is effectively silenced. The gifting tables go on after her passing. No one is recklessly recruiting new members. Jill gets to hang onto the cash flow every month. The whole thing gets pinned on Jeffrey, the controlling ex-husband who faced jailtime on March 3rd.

Guys,

Madison is on Twitter and if you follow him on Twitter you can get updates on the case. Thank God that Madison and Ali were able to get out of that hostile home environment.

My belief is that Jeff and Barbra (especially Jeff) were very money-driven and powerful people and they HAD to be at the top of everything. When Jeff lost his multi-million dollar CEO position at the electronics firm, I think that is when he probably started connecting with all of this overseas illegal wheeling and dealing to keep the money coming. Like the alcoholic reaching for another drink, Jeff would never accept not being successful at what he does, or living without something, And he could care less if it was illegal or put someone in harm's way to get what he wanted.

Similar where Barbra had to have her "Gifting Tables" to be successful and important. I missed the post above about the need for her to pay for Jeff's health insurance. Clearly the job loss made Jeff a changed man. At least Barbra had a loving and kind exterior (well, when she was sober anyway), which was probably a 50/50 shot from day to day.

The ONE thing that I believe about Conway, is the constant yelling and screaming in the family. I can't remember which family member talked about Jeff being a control freak, but I think he was certainly hot-tempered and likely abusive to both Madison and Ali.

I can't image the pain that Madison is feeling in trying so hard to be neutrally objective about this case in finding out the truth as to who killed Barbra and why? Is there anything that you guys think that Madison should be doing more or less of in regards to this case?

Satch

Where in the documentary does it say Barbara got a **phone call** that the court hearing was going to be in the afternoon?

The only thing I could find was Barbara’s statements to others, none of which mention how she learned of the hearing time. She spoke with her friend Nancy by phone at 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday March 2, 2010, and said “she had court the next day at 2 o’clock...and that’s really weird because it’s usually always in the morning.”

Barbara’s sister Conway Beach’s witness statement to police: “Barbara told me that she and her attorney Rich Callahan were to be at court at 2 p.m. today.”

Madison Hamburg’s said: “For some reason, my mom thinks the court is at 2:00 or is telling people that court is at 2:00.”

Absent more specific information, there’s no way to know how Barbara concluded her court hearing was at 2:00 p.m. This leaves open the possibility she received that information by any number of methods: mail, email, personal delivery (legal docs are frequently served by messenger), what someone told her during a conversation (e.g. “ I forgot to tell you, the hearing was moved to 2:30 PM ) or even a handwritten note, (e.g. “Amy from the clerk’s office called. The hearing is at 2:00 p.m.”).

Kara Heller, Daniel Hand High School secretary, said Ali Hamburg was tardy to school and arrived at 7:54 a.m. on Wednesday March 3, 2010, and had a 10:50 a.m. early dismissal. Kara Heller spoke with Barbara: “She [Ali] arrived at 7:54, tardy. Mom verified not feeling well.” Ali had a 10:50 early dismissal. According to Kara Heller, “I specifically remember talking to your mom that morning about going to court and stuff like that.”

Madison called Conway to tell her about confirming Ali’s presence at school that morning. Conway’s response: “So Ali had to wake up Mom. Takes her to school in her pajamas.” Madison interrupts: “Drops her off. Ali signs in. Mom drives home. Because she still in her pajamas, she was probably walking from the car to the door, and that’s where it happened.”

Conway didn’t challenge Madison’s conclusion as to the timeline.

Here’s what I want to know: When did Barbara tell Conway the hearing was at 2 p.m.? Conway’s statement that Ali “had to wake up Mom [Barbara]” to drive Ali to school the morning of March 3, 2010, strongly suggests Conway didn’t speak with Barbara the day of the murder. From the information presented, the last person to speak with Barbara was Kara Heller. Conway must have heard about the time of the court hearing prior to the day of the murder.

There’s no suggestion that Barbara believed the hearing time had changed, only that she believed the hearing was at 2 p.m. on March 2, 2010.

Barbara should have received the notice of court hearing and the hearing time (if a separate notice) from her lawyer. My office has been sending notices and court orders to clients as PDFs since 2008. It’s possible Barbara’s lawyer sent hard copies of notices and orders. I’d like to know what method he used.

My concern is that unless Barbara believed the hearing time had been changed (meaning she received the court’s notice of hearing), whoever murdered her may have intercepted the notice and replaced it with a forged document. If true, that means the plan to kill Barbara was planned a significant amount of time in advance.

Things I hope Madison finds out through the FOIA Documents he now has:

1.) When Barbra got that mysterious phone call about the court date time changed to 2pm from 9:30 am, when it always was 9:30, to whom was she speaking? Phone records needed.

2.) Why didn't Barbra call her attorney immediately when she got that call?

3.) At what time do most document Barbra's murder?

4.) What items were DNA tested?

Satch
The police department has not been very forthcoming. Looks like a recent FOIA request for the call and other evidence was denied: https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/...s_post_hearing_brief_-_mol_01351775xadb93.pdf

Where in the documentary does it say Barbara got a **phone call** that the court hearing was going to be in the afternoon?

The only thing I could find was Barbara’s statements to others, none of which mention how she learned of the hearing time. She spoke with her friend Nancy by phone at 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday March , 2010, and said “She had court the next day at 2 o’clock...and that’s really weird because it’s usually always in the morning.”

Barbara’s sister Conway Beach’s witness statement to police: “Barbara told me that she and her attorney Rich Callahan were to be at court at 2 p.m. today.”

Madison Hamburg’s said: “For some reason, my mom thinks the court is at 2:00 or is telling people that court is at 2:00.”

Absent more specific information, there’s no way to know how Barbara concluded her court hearing was at 2:00 p.m. This leaves open the possibility she received that information by any number of methods: mail, email, personal delivery (legal docs are frequently served by messenger), what someone told her during a conversation (e.g. “ I forgot to tell you, the hearing was moved to 2:30 PM ) or even a handwritten note, (e.g. “Amy from the clerk’s office called. The hearing is at 2:00 p.m.”).

OK,

I always thought that Barbra got a phone message about the change in court time from 9:30 am to 2:00pm, but I guess we don't know who gave her that information? Or how it was given? Let's hope that is in the FOIA documents.

Satch

I think Madison needs to get copies of all the court documents pertaining to the hearing on March 3, 2010, and to find out how that hearing was scheduled. I would also talk to Barbara’s attorney and find out how he notified Barbara of the hearing time. If it was by email, get a copy of that email. If the attorney won’t disclose that information, ask for copies of billing records and time slips.

I want to know if Barbara ever received the correct hearing date and time. If so, I want to know when she received that notice.

I want to know when Conway last spoke with Barbara, and when Barbara told Conway the hearing was at 2 p.m. on March 3, 2020.

I want to know more about how the gifting table works. As I understand it there are four levels with one person at the top; each group meets once a week:

Level 4 “Dessert”: Barbara Hamburg (expects to receive $40K on March 8, 2010), who joined by paying $5,000 on February 15, 2010

Level 3 “Entree”: The two people Barbara recruited, each joined by paying $5,000 on February 22, 2010

Level 2 “Soup and Salad”: The four people recruited by Barbara’s two recruits, each joined by paying $5,000 on March 1, 2010.

Level 1 “Appetizer”: The eight people recruited by the level 3 recruits, each joined by paying $5,000 on March 8, 2010.

I seem to recall episode two said Appetizer level recruits paid money to Soup and Salad level recruits. However, that doesn’t make any sense. The only way that Barbara could have stood to make $40,000 on March 8, 2010, would be for the level one Appetizer payments to go to her as the level four Dessert. This sets up a scenario where these women who have begged, borrowed and scraped for their $5,000 entry fee to join are under tremendous pressure to recruit and to wait an entire month to get any money back.

If one or more of the Appetizer level recruits fails to recruit two people, everyone above them receives significantly less. Given the tension around the gifting tables, this was may have happened.

There was also mention of blended groups. What the heck was that? Were some groups sharing contributions just to avoid a mutiny?

Barbara spent a lot of time talking to people about the gifting table. IMHO, the amount of time involved suggests she was recruiting people to join and/or trying to calm recruits who had concerns or misgivings.

The first episode refers to Madison’s half brother “Brian, the doctor.” I’m not sure if his face is blurred out on the bulletin board with the head shots and short summaries, but it seems likely. What were Brian’s contacts with Barbara and his father? What did his father say to Brian?

The email regarding the Attorney General investigation of the gifting tables was dated April 2010, just one month after Barbara’s murder. Barbara’s friend (no name given) said the email notifying the Attorney General of the gifting table scam was in February, one month prior to Barbara’s murder. The only reason I wonder whether there might be a connection to the gifting table is because the man in the ski mask went to her house on March 1, 2010, during a gifting table dinner.

Also, Conway implies Ali personally murdered Barbara, then later seems to blame Barbara’s ex husband because in Conway’s mind, Barbara would be alive if only Ali hadn’t pushed Barbara to go to court.

I don’t believe Conway’s version of anything. I also have a problem with her putting Barbara’s ashes in a storage shed in Florida. Conway seemed only to be interested in talking about how victimized she is and blaming others. I don’t know if that means she’s a suspect.

I worry for Madison. Who is watching out for him, and making sure he’s doing ok?

Guys,

Madison is on Twitter and if you follow him on Twitter you can get updates on the case. Thank God that Madison and Ali were able to get out of that hostile home environment.

My belief is that Jeff and Barbra (especially Jeff) were very money-driven and powerful people and they HAD to be at the top of everything. When Jeff lost his multi-million dollar CEO position at the electronics firm, I think that is when he probably started connecting with all of this overseas illegal wheeling and dealing to keep the money coming. Like the alcoholic reaching for another drink, Jeff would never accept not being successful at what he does, or living without something, And he could care less if it was illegal or put someone in harm's way to get what he wanted.

Similar where Barbra had to have her "Gifting Tables" to be successful and important. I missed the post above about the need for her to pay for Jeff's health insurance. Clearly the job loss made Jeff a changed man. At least Barbra had a loving and kind exterior (well, when she was sober anyway), which was probably a 50/50 shot from day to day.

The ONE thing that I believe about Conway, is the constant yelling and screaming in the family. I can't remember which family member talked about Jeff being a control freak, but I think he was certainly hot-tempered and likely abusive to both Madison and Ali.

I can't image the pain that Madison is feeling in trying so hard to be neutrally objective about this case in finding out the truth as to who killed Barbra and why? Is there anything that you guys think that Madison should be doing more or less of in regards to this case?

Satch

Last edited:
I want to know what CT means by its finding that Jeff’s DNA wasn’t at the scene?

One of the episodes mentioned the DNA tests were expired and the lab had lost its certification. A skilled lawyer would argue that any findings under those circumstances should be disqualified and declared inadmissible. Suppose that happened, the lab could have a match but never be allowed to claim it, and/or would have to recant any prior statements as to a DNA match.

Satch

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed.>

My opinion is that we have seen a very edited documentary meant to bring us into Madison's confusion (and it does an excellent job!). I do not think that Conway or Ali or Aunt Jill are meant to be taken seriously as suspects, but it helps show how much damage was done to all these relationships (and all these buried suspicions). I think there is only one serious suspect and I wish the PD had a way to prove their case and bring all Barbara's loved ones to a starting point for healing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing he was left out of doc on purpose and likely shouldn't be identified on here?It would very interesting to hear his views on his father (and also would be interesting to hear from an ex-wife for that matter) but I presume he declined to participate and that should be respected on here.

My opinion is that we have seen a very edited documentary meant to bring us into Madison's confusion (and it does an excellent job!). I do not think that Conway or Ali or Aunt Jill are meant to be taken seriously as suspects, but it helps show how much damage was done to all these relationships (and all these buried suspicions). I think there is only one serious suspect and I wish the PD had a way to prove their case and bring all Barbara's loved ones to a starting point for healing.

The half brother is Jeffery’s son. I don’t believe Madison’s half brother is involved, but I do wonder if Jeffery might have spoken to Madison’s half brother the morning of March 3, 2010, or otherwise told Madison’s half brother something that would indicate Jeffery’s whereabouts between 7 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. on March 3, 2010.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed.>

A while back, I came across a Connecticut Court of Appeals ruling on whether a substitute party could continue Barbara Hamburg's litigation against Jeffrey Hamburg re: unpaid past due child support (referenced as "child support arrears"), unreimbursed medical expenses, tuition, educational costs, and $266,500 Jeffrey Hamburg removed from the children's educational accounts, among other financial issues. FindLaw's Appellate Court of Connecticut case and opinions.

Compare what Jeffrey Hamburg owed his ex-wife to the gifting tables where each member "gifts" (pays/invests) $5,000 in hopes of receiving up to $40,000, and there's no comparison.

I don't get any sort of weird vibe off of Aunt Jill. She's hurt the family refuses to have anything to do with her, but she freely admitted what went on with the gifting tables. From Madison's research, Jill's account of what went on with the gifting tables is factual as to the transactions and people involved, but wrong as to the law.

The gifting table scam is the same structure as the "Secret Santa" gift exchange that was circulating on Facebook last month. On the face, it may sound innocent, but it's a pyramid scheme.
ATTORNEY GENERAL ALERT: Popular Secret Santa Scam is Back on Social Media | Arkansas Attorney General

BBB Scam Alert: Social media gift exchange is an illegal pyramid scheme

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back