CT CT - Barbara Hamburg, 48, Madison, 3 Mar 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Who knows, maybe they knew each other through the gifting tables? They seemed to be a pretty widespread occurance in that town

Madison, CT, is a small town (population 18,269 in 2010). Everybody knows everybody else’s business.

Also, something I'm curious about thinking about this now: Was she not wearing a coat that morning? If she was found with just a fleece top/shirt/pajamas and shoes on, then she either was extremely comfortable with the weather temperature that morning and didn't wear a coat, or the coat was already off when she was attacked.

Now I'm wondering .. who would run out of the house only in sleep wear when the average temperature for that area in March is : So early in the morning it had to be cold.

The tables give the normals for maximum and minimum temperatures based on weather data collected from 1981 to 2010 by the US National Climatic Data Center.

upload_2020-12-25_5-26-9.pngAverage March Temperatures for Connecticut - Current Results /
Average March Temperatures for Connecticut - Current Results

Now I'm wondering .. who would run out of the house only in sleep wear when the average temperature for that area in March is : So early in the morning it had to be cold.

The tables give the normals for maximum and minimum temperatures based on weather data collected from 1981 to 2010 by the US National Climatic Data Center.

View attachment 276863Average March Temperatures for Connecticut - Current Results /
There are weather histories one can look up and get the purported temperature and weather from a given day. I checked on March 3, 2010, it was in the mid-30s and lightly snowing that day. I find it hard to believe that pajama bottoms and a fleece shirt were enough for her, even if she was driving. Either she left the coat in the car or had already gone inside the house. Unless the coat was found outside and they haven't publicized it. Weird detail to leave out if they did.

I thought Madison made a good point when he said something to the effect that the scene was half covered. One covers / hides the victim, a pool of blood, yet leaves keys purse phone and a "coffee" cup" in plain view. I have to agree with Conway that it looks to be staged. As if she had to be coming home when it happened and where it happened. Someone had to use a bit of force to break her arm and a rib, and to use a knife also. To me that seems as if more than on person was involved. If someone used a knife and a hammer they had to be a little phsycotic IMO. To me that's like something one might see in a movie not in real life . Again just in my opinion. And again along with Conway was she actually running out of the house ? And it seems that there was more than one person involved. It seems the police may not have any evidence to put anyone at the scene and anything else would be and is speculation, like this post

I keep wondering about the coffee cup also , which I missed the first time watching that episode.

I keep wondering if someone planted the cup there . What if all that evidence was planted there.
Maybe there was but it wasn't mentioned that there was any blood near the cup or any of the other items
If Ali & Barbara had a coffee on the way to school why would she have another straightaway at home ? Why is Conway eliminated completely ?

If Ali & Barbara had a coffee on the way to school why would she have another straightaway at home ? Why is Conway eliminated completely ?
I forgot,

Did Madison say that Barbra and Ali had coffee at the shop? Or was this assumed from a common routine? In know people who are coffee addicts, so it is possible that Barbra may have had another cup at home. Too cold for Barbra to be in her sleepwear only based on the weather, if accurate above. Unless she had a coat and that was not mentioned? We don't know.

Conway is not eliminated, but I think that due to her health issues, she would have trouble doing this murder and draging Barbra's body. If Jeff didn't do this, and was not a part of this, why is he so evasive with Madison when they talk?

Satch

Unless I'm missing something, and I'll have to go back and watch it, it seems a lot of stuff was very ambiguous. Elsewhere I keep reading that Ali was eliminated because she had a solid alibi. But when he talked to the school secretary, all she said was she talked to Barbara that morning about Ali being late and mentioning the court date. She never said she saw her or talked to her in person. A friend of mine went to DH and said there's no reason for a parent to come in at all, just for the student to sign in/out. So who's to say Ali couldn't have ran to school? I wish they would have been more clear. And did someone see Ali and Barbra together at the coffee shop or anywhere along the way? This seems incredibly important.

Between the estimated time of the murder and the discovery of the body it never got above 38 degrees. It was about 34 around the time Ali said they left, with the wind speeds roughly averaging 9 mph. I lived in CT most of my life. I don't care how used to it you are, that is still cold. I can't imagine anyone leaving their house in pajamas in that weather. Like someone else mentioned, was she wearing a coat? If it was a hitman, did he arrive after they left and just waited for her to come back? How did they know she was even coming back? I agree that a lot of the scene seems staged. The covering of the blood and body seems like a desperate cover up by someone in shock. I really want to be wrong, and I hope there's someone who saw Ali being dropped off, or someone who saw the two together in the car.

I forgot,

Did Madison say that Barbra and Ali had coffee at the shop? Or was this assumed from a common routine? In know people who are coffee addicts, so it is possible that Barbra may have had another cup at home. Too cold for Barbra to be in her sleepwear only based on the weather, if accurate above. Unless she had a coat and that was not mentioned? We don't know.

Conway is not eliminated, but I think that due to her health issues, she would have trouble doing this murder and draging Barbra's body. If Jeff didn't do this, and was not a part of this, why is he so evasive with Madison when they talk?

Satch
Ali tells the coffee story in her primary episode when she recounts the morning. She says they stopped for coffee regularly and she got chai. I think it's safe to assume that it was the same coffee cup in the yard.

I don't think Conway is eliminated at all. In fact, her ill health is more apparent in recent years than in 2013 when she did the walkthrough with Madison. This was filmed over several years with a lot of footage from both 2013 and 2016. Look back at Conway's physical appearance in 2013 and then subtract three years, she may have been physically more able in 2010. Dragging someone is easier than lifting.

Madison's dad incriminates himself by not speaking on the subject, but he may have fears that if he admits to X or Y on camera then he'll be held financially accountable for stuff that he has been trying to escape. It's possible everything he's upset about is just not wanting to be financially on the hook. I still think he did it. But if he didn't, he's such a narcissist and selfish and greedy that he'd rather have no relationships with his children over his financial secrets that involved screwing them over, too, than clear the air.

Madison's dad incriminates himself by not speaking on the subject, but he may have fears that if he admits to X or Y on camera then he'll be held financially accountable for stuff that he has been trying to escape. It's possible everything he's upset about is just not wanting to be financially on the hook. I still think he did it. But if he didn't, he's such a narcissist and selfish and greedy that he'd rather have no relationships with his children over his financial secrets that involved screwing them over, too, than clear the air.

I think the evidence points to this very much! Jeff would rather have his financial secrets and personal life protected than have any kind of relationship with his children. And I think that statement can be applied to other family members as well. He sure seems to be an arrogant, controlling, and manipulative, narcissist. We just don't have the smoking gun to convict him...yet.

Satch

I forgot,

Satch
I think in a lot of cases when you have committed a crime, the adrenline is pumping and you get a lot of strength you would normally not had, they certainly had disputes Conway & Barbara.

Small but interesting details about the coffee cup,

Regarding the coffee cup, one wonders was it a plastic or a metal/porcelain cup from Willoughby's, or did it come from Barbra's kitchen? If the cup was metal/porcelain, most restaurants and shops would not allow their dishes to be taken from the premises. If it was a plastic container, it could have been a "to go" order of coffee. I don't think it was a plastic cup, where it would be more likely to come from Barbra's kitchen.

It would also seem to be that if she had a coffee cup in her car, it would be in one of those plastic, non-spill mugs. My college had a coffee shop on campus where if you brought your own mug, you would get a discount on the beverage of your choice. I don't know what coffee shops do that though.

Satch

I'm assuming they must of checked the coffee shop and they aren't saying what if anything they found out. If it was a coffee cup from the coffee shop the police would of been negligent if they hadn't checked it out. If someone was going to stage it what better way then to add some collaborating evidence. I also don't think that it was one person. I can't see someone using a hammer and a knife at the same time. Maybe use the hammer first and then grab a knife. But in my opinion highly unlikely to use both simultaneously . Apparently either it was left out , not checked for , but all the blood seems to be in one area under the pallet. What was the motive ? Could it be what Conway alluded to , insurance policy ? Money can be a strong motive. Specially if you don't like someone one and carry a grudge against that person.

"....Ali left the United States and settled in Argentina after traveling across South America...." . According to 'Murder on Middle Beach' Episode 3: Who is Ali Hamburg? Could Barbara's daughter be a suspect in her murder | MEAWW

I thought Ali was just a Sophomore in 2010. and later she mentions that she graduated before she left the United States ? She is younger than Madison and I believe he just graduated Highschool and was in his first year of college , so he was 18 or 19 . so 2010 - 19 is 1991 .. so Ali a year or two younger would of been 16 , 17 or 18, 16 is usually the age for Sophomore year . Even so if she graduated she would of still been in school I would think until June another 3 months. But watching it it does make it sound as if she fled the country immediately almost; intentionally or unintentionally .

"....Ali left the United States and settled in Argentina after traveling across South America...." . According to 'Murder on Middle Beach' Episode 3: Who is Ali Hamburg? Could Barbara's daughter be a suspect in her murder | MEAWW

I thought Ali was just a Sophomore in 2010. and later she mentions that she graduated before she left the United States ? She is younger than Madison and I believe he just graduated Highschool and was in his first year of college , so he was 18 or 19 . so 2010 - 19 is 1991 .. so Ali a year or two younger would of been 16 , 17 or 18, 16 is usually the age for Sophomore year . Even so if she graduated she would of still been in school I would think until June another 3 months. But watching it it does make it sound as if she fled the country immediately almost; intentionally or unintentionally .
It was made evident in the final episode that Conway remained as her guardian until she was 18 and old enough to leave. But given their dynamic, I'm not shocked Ali took whatever money she had coming to her and split. She had a dead mom, her father looked like a murder suspect and had ruined his relationship with her, and the rest of her family seemed to treat her poorly. Meanwhile her brother was going through rehab from addiction and wasn't a source of stability either. She went and got a new life. I'm glad she made it through OK.

MOD NOTE

If any member has a question about the rules of Websleuths, it is best to either send a report (click the REPORT link at the bottom of any post) OR send a PM to one of the moderators. We do encourage members to ask questions in either of these 2 ways, and we are happy to help. It is not advised to bring up such questions on the thread because it derails the discussion away from the case at hand.

An extra note, until/unless LE comments that a specific person has been named a POI or suspect in a case, they may NOT be sleuthed on Websleuths. If a person is mentioned in a MSM documentary as someone who has might be involved, that person may be discussed using ONLY THEIR INITIALS and only in a way that respectfully goes over what was said in the documentary and nothing further. Posts that do not heed this Websleuths guideline will be removed. So will posts that discuss removed posts and moderator actions. Continued violation of TOS may result in a loss of posting privileges. Websleuths intentionally has much higher standards than most other discussion boards on the internet. If members find the TOS that they agreed to when they joined too restrictive for them, then Websleuths is not a fit for them.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly as members of Websleuths. Your contributions are appreciated.

Faithfully
CocoChanel

Last edited:

View attachment 276863Average March Temperatures for Connecticut - Current Results /
It depends on your pajamas. I have some that are as warm or warmer than my sweats or jeans. March can be very windy and cold in CT but dashing to a car, especially if you have remote start heating it up (I don't know if BH did), is really no biggie.

It was made evident in the final episode that Conway remained as her guardian until she was 18 and old enough to leave. But given their dynamic, I'm not shocked Ali took whatever money she had coming to her and split. She had a dead mom, her father looked like a murder suspect and had ruined his relationship with her, and the rest of her family seemed to treat her poorly. Meanwhile her brother was going through rehab from addiction and wasn't a source of stability either. She went and got a new life. I'm glad she made it through OK.

Wow Ali didn't want Conway to live with Barbara and her but then Conway becomes her Guardian.

So many aspects of this case and the characters seems strange not typical .

Wow Ali didn't want Conway to live with Barbara and her but then Conway becomes her Guardian.

So many aspects of this case and the characters seems strange not typical .
I agree it's a very unusual case. I've never seen one that had so many potential POI with so many potential motives. I really hope the adult children understand that their lives as adults doesn't have to be full of chaos; they can chose a different path, and it sounds as if they are.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back